Manga Classics: Romeo and Juliet

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

Another wonderful adaptation of a Shakespeare classic! The graphics are once again beautiful. Despite it being a tragedy, Romeo and Juliet is an amazing story, and I believe having it as a manga will help encourage adolescents to appreciate these classics.
I'm not a big fan of Shakespeare, so I thought that giving him a chance in manga form is a good idea.
And it is - the artwork is absolutely gorgeous, but it still didn't make me feel better towards the actual story. Suicidal love - just not my thing.

It was also a bit strange to see old language together with manga art - I was excepting a little bit of better readability, maybe a tad modern English adaptation, but that wasn't the case. It's not particularly a bad thing, since keeping the old classic the way it is is great, but I do feel like in this instance manga would have benefited more if it was even slightly modernized.

Big thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for a digital copy provided for a review. All opinions are my own, honest and come from the heart.
I'm a fan of the Manga Classics that's why I'm already aware that the publisher, Udon Entertainment, always use the original text from the book they were adapting. I know Romeo and Juliet but I still haven't read the book either watch any stage play or movie adaptation, hence, I'm eager to check out this manga adaptation.

This is the first time that I've rated a Manga Classic low because of it's not that easy to comprehend what the characters are saying because they are in Early Modern English. Just like what I've mentioned, I'm fully aware that the publisher never makes any alterations to the dialogues because they use the original format. I could understand some of the conversations in the story however, I fail to grasp several parts. Thankfully, I still got to follow the story through the illustrations.

If there would be any future plans of Udon Entertainment to adapt other works of William Shakespeare, hopefully, they will try to make the dialogues easy to understand because I'm positive that it will be more marketable even to middle-graders.
This is a super cute adaptation to the original work - but you need to remember that it is an ADAPTATION, so it will stray from time to time!

This is a great way to get younger readers into Shakespeare!
I love the art and the character design. They resemble the characters very well. The language used is also the Old English that Shakespeare used in the original play. I thought it would be in modern english but using the kind of english the author used is very helpful to students these days. I always believe these classic mangas are educational but this by far just might be the most helpful of all.
Once again, I am so impressed by this Manga Classics edition. I cannot sing them high enough praises. As someone who does not read many classics, but wants to, I find these editions to be a good alternate way of experiencing the story, with the addition of beautiful illustrations.
This manga is a wonderful rendering of Romeo and Juliet. I've read many mangas adapted from books that have cut parts out from the story but this book has it all. I my opinion it's almost as good as watching it on stage.
The emotion captured in the images is heartbreaking and luscious all at once! The story is presented in such a beautiful way, that I found it shedding light on parts of this story I hadn't noticed before. A definite five stars from me!

The Manga Classics series is a joy to read! Thank you so much to the creators for bringing this series to life!
I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.

Actual rate: 4.0

I love the comic, but I don’t really like the plot itself. The exaggeration of conflict between the families was something that I expected from a comic adaptation. Other than that, this comic is amazing for readers who prefer comics over books -if they wish to read Romeo and Juliet.
I love these manga editions of the classics because they make the stories I would otherwise be unable to get through a lot easier and much more entertaining to read. Most classics just aren't for me, because the plot is too boring or the language too difficult. My favourite was definitely The Count of Monte Cristo, but I've read a few others and though they aren't necessarily more exciting I'm familiarised with the works, which was the idea.

I give this 3 stars mostly for the artwork, which is, as per usual, amazing. And of course we all know the story of Romeo and Juliet. It's not my favourite story, I don't find it as romantic as a lot of people seem to do, but rather silly. And I was hoping that the language would have been easier to read, but it wasn't, which was a bit disappointing to me. Nevertheless there are parts of it I do enjoy, and I definitely think that fans of the story and/or play would like this.

To me is was all quite meh.
I received an ARC of this book from the publisher via NetGalley. This book has content warnings for death, suicide, physical violence, murder, and tumultuous family relationships.

I've always been fascinated by Shakespeare -- a Shakespeare class that I took during my very first term of college was what sold me on being an English major. What I remember most about Shakespeare, though, is reading Romeo and Juliet during English class back in high school. I didn't have a ton of problems reading it myself (though I was pretty reliant on the glossary at the bottoms of the pages of the book we used), but almost the entire rest of my class had a ton of trouble following along -- to the point where they would ask me to "translate it into English" so that they could figure out what was going on. Needless to say, that wasn't exactly the best Shakespeare experience for them OR for me.

This is the kind of text I wish that my classmates would have had in high school instead of the straight text of the play. Shakespeare's plays weren't really made to be read straight; they were made to be performed, and comics is a wonderful format for this because it combines reading the play with watching the drama unfold. What was even more delightful for me was the fact that the text itself is virtually untouched; every one of Shakespeare's original lines is given space inside a word balloon, and it's not at all abridged. Readers of this adaptation are getting Shakespeare's original work in its entirety, but they're getting it in a way that is dynamic and fun and, for many younger readers in particular, easier to digest.

The only thing that I found off-putting about this book relates to the illustrations. The art itself is lovely and rich and a pleasure to look at; what bothers me, though, is how the characters are drawn. The majority of the characters look like your "typical" manga-style characters, which wouldn't be a problem except that the characters are virtually all white Italian people (as the adaptation kept the play's original location of Verona, Italy) and manga facial characteristics are actually depicting Japanese facial features. There's a lot of confusion that goes around about how manga characters in all manga "look white" even though the style is designed to depict Japanese characters, and white manga characters have a very different look to them. I worry that because the characters in this book are drawn as Japanese manga characters rather than as white characters, it's going to continue to spread the idea that manga characters are white when they really aren't. I feel like this is something that should have been taken into account more.

On the other side of things, the team who worked on this adaptation really did their research -- they took a trip to Verona to look at the architecture and really understand the history of the place and to find the most accurate backdrops for the illustrations they could find. They put a lot of work into ensuring that the details in the book were accurate, and I really appreciated that.

Overall, this was a really good adaptation of this play, despite the issues I have with depictions of race. If you love Romeo and Juliet, or want to read the play but have trouble following Shakespeare's text alone, this is a really nice way of experiencing the story.

Final rating: 4 of 5 stars
In Romeo and Juliet, Shakespeare creates a world of violence and generational conflict in which two young people fall in love and die because of that love. The story is rather extraordinary in that the normal problems faced by young lovers are here so very large. The graphic novel of this thrilling story will leave you in absolute awe.
Everyone knows the story of Romeo and Juliet but I couldn't resist trying it on a manga platform! It was a refreshing beautifully drawn story that I enjoyed reading even though it doesn't end in with a happy ever after
There's no need to introduce the story of Romeo and Juliet, I think everyone knows it to a certain extent. It's also no secret that I love the Manga Classics series - such a great way to make classics more accessible and fun.

I had mixed feelings with this one. The illustrations and adaptation are great, it's even hilarious at times. To preserve the authenticity of it, the original text has been used in the adaptation, which reminded me of the Romeo and Juliet with Leonardo DiCaprio (another great adaptation, by the way). But that's where it becomes difficult, as the original text can be quite difficult to understand, and I found it hard to follow in manga form as your eyes need to keep jumping from one text bubble to the next.

I guess that is part of the never-ending debate: should we keep things as faithful to the original as possible or should we move away from the original to make things more accessible? I don't think there is a right or wrong answer here. What do you think?
I LOVE Shakespeare! I've never thought that Romeo and Juliet was a great romance, like so many believe, but I do love the story. This Manga version of the Bard's tale was fun to read and I enjoyed the illustrations. My one gripe with this text, is the way they drew Tybalt. He was portrayed as a classic villain with a pointy black mustache and dark hair -very unlike the Tybalt in my head. Aside from that, this adaptation of R&J is well-done and very enjoyable to read.
Rating: 4.0/5

Plot

Romeo and Juliet is the classic tragedy of western literature. Created by William Shakespeare, it is tale of two very young lovers from Verona, Italy who defy the wishes of their feuding families, get married then, and tragically, end their own lives in the name of love. It is their deaths that ultimately help the rival families of the Capulet's and Montague's find reconciliation. Manga Classics brings an incredible new reading experience with this adaptation of Shakespeare's most popular and frequently performed plays: Romeo and Juliet.

How I got this Book
I got to read this book through Netgalley.

The Positives

	This is a great way to revisit a story that most people read multiple times in school. The beautiful artwork gives it a new feeling that allows you to enjoy the story multiple times.
	Reading this story as a manga gives new meaning to Old English. Words that didn’t quite make sense the first time you read it? Well now you have gorgeous works of art to help you see and feel what you should have the first time around.
	The characters are portrayed to perfection how I feel Shakespeare meant for them to be seen. You feel the innocence of some of the characters, you feel the tension caused by the feud, and you feel the infatuation between Romeo and Juliet. If you are anything like me you also have a renewed revulsion for the disgustingly slimy Count Paris.

The Negatives

So I am not really sure that I can count this as a negative of the book, or if I should just count it as a negative based on my personal feelings. I knew when I picked this manga up that it was going to be a classic, and therefore would be written in the original way. This became an issue for me as I kept wanting to stop and lost track of what was going on at times. This isn’t really a flaw with the book, but it did give me a slightly negative view of it, which is what caused me to give it a solid 4 out of 5.

Overall

Overall, I would recommend this to anyone who loves the classics, loves Shakespeare, and loves manga. I personally found it harder to enjoy because of the flowery language Shakespeare was so known for, but it truly is a masterpiece that combines the past with the present.
UDON Entertainment and NetGalley have provided me with an electronic copy of Manga Classics: Romeo and Juliet.  I was under no obligation to review this book and my opinion is freely given.

The most striking part of this adaptation is the cover art, as it conveys the story in a clear and concise manner.  The book itself is not without challenges, as Shakespeare's words can be dense and difficult to follow.  Because Manga is a highly visual art, I was hopeful that the depictions of the action in the book would be easier to understand.  In their zeal to tell the whole story, many of the pages simply get bogged down in the details.  I found this version of Romeo and Juliet hard to follow and did not feel that the artwork did enough to tell the story.

I have read several of Crystal Chan's adaptations of classics and Romeo and Juliet is the least successful thus far.  Usually, the artwork helps the reader to visualize the original literature, but I was not impressed by the level of creativity throughout the book.  The last few pages were well drawn and represented the story well, but most of the book contains Shakespeare's dialogue with little visual reference.  Manga Classics: Romeo and Juliet is a missed opportunity to tell the classic love affair in a way that many would understand, but it may spark some interest in Shakespeare for readers who normally would not enjoy his works.
4 stars
I’ve read several of the Manga Classics and have always found them to be well done.  This one is no different.  The artwork is lovely.  Original text as written.
Thank you NetGalley and publisher, Udon Publishing, for the opportunity to read this ARC.
I’ve been reading the Manga Classics since the beginning and I really like how they bring classics to life in a new way. Especially some stories have been told so many times in so many different ways that it is difficult to bring something new to the stage (see what I did there?), and now they have branched into a new field: Shakespeare. Shakespeare has been turned into manga before (at least I believe I saw some lying in The Globe shop last year, but I haven’t read those (yet)).

They start with Romeo and Juliet, probably a logical choice but also one of my least favourite Shakespeare plays. All the original text is included, and the drawings help with understanding some of the more difficult metaphors if needed. Manga really lends itself into exaggerating personalities into caricatures (especially with characters like the nurse which already have these tendencies).

Nice artwork make a nice adaptation, but I would be looking forward to other plays which are said to come soon!

Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for providing me with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review!
So, honestly, I didn't actually read this. I skimmed it. I have read Romeo and Juliet previously. So I knew exactly what happened.

It was well done, in my opinion. The art was done well, not really my style but done well.

The only thing I would have changed is that it was written in old English. I would have liked it to be modern and I feel more people would enjoy it better if it was written in more modern English. But overall, it was well done and it was enjoyable to see the manga version of a story I know and love.