Scarborough Fair

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 16 Apr 2018

Excellent read. Melding the Victorian era with modern times.
This book tells a story of generations of women. The friendships that last a lifetime are inclusive to the story. The characters are remarkable and mesh well together. The Author has done a remarkable job with this story line. Recommended.
5 Stard
I don’t read a lot of historical fiction or books with a lot of history in it, but this one was good

I've always enjoyed good YA reads. They touch on real-life matters and are clean
reads. I have, for the most part, stuck to the Nancy Drew series when it comes to
YA reads but am always interested in going out of that box for a good YA read. I
enjoy historical fiction so this series piqued my interest and I was excited to read
them.
I was not disappointed! This is a really cool historical fiction that's about the unique connection of Alice and Roe's Connection...even though they never met because Alice was alive in 1899 and Roe..2016...This was a great start to a series. Intriguing, keeps the reader guessing, great writing...It may be a YA read but I believe readers...

See Full Review
This was a great story, fast-moving and inventive, with a completely believable historical setting. And the story really has it all: mystery, suspense, romance, and family bonding. Great read for young adults, age 11 to 16 or so would appreciate it the most. Looking forward to reading more by this author.

Actual Rating: 3.5 stars, rounded to 4

In 2016, Rose's mum is dragging her away from London to dreary old Scarborough. Rose would rather be anywhere than Scarborough; however a summer romance and a summer mystery are quickly changing Rose's opinion on the seaside town. In 1899, Alice and her maid, Mary, head to Scarborough to relax for a little while. However, the vacation ends up being anything but relaxing.

Scarborough Fair does a great job of switching between narrators between different centuries. I felt like each character had a distinct voice, and I never got too confused whenever the point of view (or time period) would abruptly switch. The author also did a great job at...

See Full Review

On the cover we see the beautiful Alice back to the beach. In the foreground Rose runs his hand in Dan's hand at the fair.

This first volume tells the story of Alice in 1899 and 2016 nowadays Rose's life on arrival in Scarborough.

For Alice, she seeks refuge in the seaside resort of Scarborough to escape the clutches of her fiancé. She will run away with a man she really loves and will put her life in danger. For Rose forced to spend the summer in Scarborough with her mother and grandmother and it's not going to be a pleasure. Especially when a Ferrari driver is going to miss it on his arrival. She will meet Dan and they will go to the fair but things will not go as planned.
...

Book: Scarborough Fair
Author: Margarita Morris
Rating: 4 Out of 5 Stars

I would like to thank Netgalley and Margarita Morris for providing me with this galley.

I will admit that I was drawn to this book more so than the summary. I am not going to lie. That doesn’t mean that the summary didn’t get my attention, but look at the cover. It’s so pretty! I guess that this is one of the cases that the cover really sold the book.

This book is told from two time frames, I guess. Alice is from the Victorian era and Rose is from, well, now. Both girls are pulled together by mystery. Alice disappeared and no one knows really what happened to her. Rose, her maid’s great-great daughter, finds...

See Full Review

I received an ARC copy from netgalley for my honest review,  so thank you netgalley and publishers for offering me this book! ♡
The cover and title is what originally drew me to this book.
This was my first book by this author, It was okay. It was slow paced but it was alltogether an easy read. ♡ I give this book a
3.5 star rating!

Sypgnosis below
Are you going to Scarborough Fair?

1899: Alice isn’t mad. So why has she been put away in a Victorian lunatic asylum without any hope of escape?

2016: Rose is excited when Dan asks her to go to the fair with him. But an encounter with some dangerous men leads them to an abandoned lunatic asylum with dark secrets of its own.

Visiting...

See Full Review
'Scarborough Fair' had a fast pace. The POV changed quite some, but it was always clear where things went. Somehow the stories of Alice and Rose kept in line with each other, and I could hardly lay down the book, because I so much wanted to know what would happen to the characters.

To be honest with you I can't remember the last time I've read a ya book besides this one. I know a lot of adults do but I'm not one of them. With that being said, I enjoyed this, actually a lot more than I thought I would considering I've never read this author either. This is a time slip book taking place in 1899 and 2016. Turns out the girl in the 2016 parts of the story is related to a character in the 1899 parts of the story. In 1899 Alice is put in a lunatic asylum by her intended with no hope of escape under false information just so he can get his hands on her inheritance she gets when she turns 21.
In 2016 Rose comes with her mother to Scarborough to visit her...

See Full Review
Highly enjoyable mixture of gothic victorian and modern day mystery very cleverly entwined. Perfect pace. This impressive story grabbed me from the start and kept me entertained all the way.

Thank you Netgalley and Xpresso Book Tours
received an ARC of this book from NetGalley to read in exchange for a fair review. I enjoyed it and kept guessing , a must read.

Likes:
- Writing / The writing is lovely. The dialogue is rich, the scenes are colourful, and the author gets inside each character's head brilliantly.
- Atmosphere / The atmosphere is amazing. You really feel as though you're by the beach, or at the fair, and the setting comes alive with a beautiful tangibility. It's that homely, magical, small town English vibe.
- Plot / The plot is fast-paced, entertaining, exciting, and action packed. It's so much fun and deliciously light-hearted and innocent. There's danger, but it's never terrifying, and there's always light overshadowing the dark. It's a wonderful story.
- Characters / The characters are...

See Full Review

Upon taking a vacation with her mother, Rose meets a boy named Dan. Together they end up fighting for their lives at Scarborough Fair when Dan’s father ends up the focus of two shady criminals. Through a course of events, Rose’ adventure soon ties into Alice’s disappearance from 1899. Alice’s jealous fiancé found a way to make her vanish from Scarborough and leave everyone mystified.

Margarita Morris created a fun atmosphere in Scarborough Fair. From arcades to the beautiful seaside to an insane asylum, this book depicts a lovely scene. The characters are even easy to like and follow their story. I’ll even say the two story lines tied in to each other quite seamlessly.

That being said...