Scarborough Fair

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 16 Apr 2018

DNF @55%
I gave this an honest try, I just couldn't bring myself to get through this.  It was really slow and the characters of the "now" POV drove me nuts.  I really only cared about the "past" POV but even after a while that got old.
What a wonderful mix of historical fiction with a modern tie in. You have two wonderful stories that are quite similar.
Rose is a modern day teenager who has been dragged out of London for the summer to live with her grandmother & mother. While her London friends are off having a marvelous time in either fantastic locations or home in London. Scarborough isn’t thr most lively of towns. Though once she meets Dan an attractive local boy, she goes on some while adventures!
Mary and Alice are a mistress and maid whom are basically best friends. It’s 1899 and Alice has come to Scarborough to hopefully regain her health, while distancing herself from a unwanted arranged marriage. Though she is spied on by her soon-to-be husbands right hand man, Alice meets someone who will change her life!
I was surprised how well the past and present stories went together and many times the abrupt stop of one perspective and switch to another made me read even faster to learn what was going to happen next!
I am definitely looking forward to the next installment in this series! Great first book!
Excellent read. Melding the Victorian era with modern times.
This book tells a story of generations of women. The friendships that last a lifetime are inclusive to the story. The characters are remarkable and mesh well together. The Author has done a remarkable job with this story line. Recommended.
5 Stard
I don’t read a lot of historical fiction or books with a lot of history in it, but this one was good
I've always enjoyed good YA reads. They touch on real-life matters and are clean
reads. I have, for the most part, stuck to the Nancy Drew series when it comes to
YA reads but am always interested in going out of that box for a good YA read. I
enjoy historical fiction so this series piqued my interest and I was excited to read
them.
I was not disappointed! This is a really cool historical fiction that's about the unique connection of Alice and Roe's Connection...even though they never met because Alice was alive in 1899 and Roe..2016...This was a great start to a series. Intriguing, keeps the reader guessing, great writing...It may be a YA read but I believe readers beyond YA will completely enjoy this; especially if you're into historical fiction with a time travel type element (from the past to the present, but not time traveling). This isn't a slow read either, the author keeps you pulled in and sets the scene excellently. I think the only disappointment I had was that the romances seemed to move too fast; there didn't seem to really be any build up. But I enjoyed the book nonetheless.
This was a great story, fast-moving and inventive, with a completely believable historical setting. And the story really has it all: mystery, suspense, romance, and family bonding. Great read for young adults, age 11 to 16 or so would appreciate it the most. Looking forward to reading more by this author.
Actual Rating: 3.5 stars, rounded to 4

In 2016, Rose's mum is dragging her away from London to dreary old Scarborough. Rose would rather be anywhere than Scarborough; however a summer romance and a summer mystery are quickly changing Rose's opinion on the seaside town. In 1899, Alice and her maid, Mary, head to Scarborough to relax for a little while. However, the vacation ends up being anything but relaxing.

Scarborough Fair does a great job of switching between narrators between different centuries. I felt like each character had a distinct voice, and I never got too confused whenever the point of view (or time period) would abruptly switch. The author also did a great job at describing both life in 1899 and in 2016; both settings felt decently fleshed out. I stayed interested in both characters' stories up until the end (see the next paragraph for more explanation on that one).

On the other hand, what it did not do was create protagonists smart enough to live. And by that I mean it's a miracle these people know how to walk and talk, let alone actually function in society. At one point, Rose (our protagonist from the modern day) manages to escape capture once and, instead of finding the police or a random good person to help her, bikes to the marina and jumps on a boat to save her (captured while trying to save her) boyfriend from the Bad Guy. She had passed hundreds of cars waiting in traffic on her way and not once did it dawn on her to knock on a window and ask politely to borrow someone's phone, please help, it's an emergency. While on the boat, she rescues her boyfriend and then proceeds to get captured again. It's only at that moment when she realizes that she could have gotten help when she passed all of those people on the way to the marina. Honey, I love you, but you so dumb. To the point I wanted to create a shelf just for this book entitled "too dumb to live".

Also a heads up; if you're an American reading this book (or at least the edition I did), the copy retains British terms for things (e.g. a boot being a trunk). Most of the terms are quickly understood, but I can see a teenager getting very frustrated when reading if she/he isn't familiar.

If you're looking for some good chocolate cake literature, I would give this one a try. It's pretty quick paced (almost too quick paced at times), and while it relies on coincidences way too much, it was still an enjoyable read.
On the cover we see the beautiful Alice back to the beach. In the foreground Rose runs his hand in Dan's hand at the fair.

This first volume tells the story of Alice in 1899 and 2016 nowadays Rose's life on arrival in Scarborough.

For Alice, she seeks refuge in the seaside resort of Scarborough to escape the clutches of her fiancé. She will run away with a man she really loves and will put her life in danger. For Rose forced to spend the summer in Scarborough with her mother and grandmother and it's not going to be a pleasure. Especially when a Ferrari driver is going to miss it on his arrival. She will meet Dan and they will go to the fair but things will not go as planned.

I was immediately attracted by the cover that is beautiful. I immediately hooked on the catchy story with the endearing Alice and Rose characters. Look forward to reading the other books in this series that deserves to be translated to have more readers.
Book: Scarborough Fair
Author: Margarita Morris
Rating: 4 Out of 5 Stars

I would like to thank Netgalley and Margarita Morris for providing me with this galley.

I will admit that I was drawn to this book more so than the summary. I am not going to lie. That doesn’t mean that the summary didn’t get my attention, but look at the cover. It’s so pretty! I guess that this is one of the cases that the cover really sold the book.

This book is told from two time frames, I guess. Alice is from the Victorian era and Rose is from, well, now. Both girls are pulled together by mystery. Alice disappeared and no one knows really what happened to her. Rose, her maid’s great-great daughter, finds letters and starts to read them. She quickly discovers that everything is not what is seems.

I thought that the characters were actually pretty well put together. I really enjoyed Alice, Mary, and Rose. However, I didn’t really understand the propose for some of them, such as Kitty. I just didn’t see what she really had to add to the story. They also were not as complex and as well developed as those who are in books that I give a five start rating to. We do have a huge cast of characters and, like I just got done saying, I am not sure that a lot of them really add anything to the overall plot. I mean, I did know who everyone was, but it was hard to juggle when I first started out reading the book.

The world building was excellent. Margarita really comes alive with this. She does an amazing job of portraying Scarborough as this really homely, magical small English town. Like other small towns, we have our dark secrets. I know it sounds really clichéd and it probably is, but there was just something about it that really pulled me in.

Margarita’s writing was beautiful. She knew when to have a lighter mood and when to have kind of a darker one. The ability to write rather gentler and action scenes with such ease really appealed to me. She also really played with the senses, which only made the book come more alive for me.

Overall, this was a pretty entertaining book, with a few issues. However, I do think that it is still worth your time to pick this up and read it.

(Review is already on Goodreads)
I received an ARC copy from netgalley for my honest review,  so thank you netgalley and publishers for offering me this book! ♡
The cover and title is what originally drew me to this book.
This was my first book by this author, It was okay. It was slow paced but it was alltogether an easy read. ♡ I give this book a
3.5  star rating!

Sypgnosis below
Are you going to Scarborough Fair?

1899: Alice isn’t mad. So why has she been put away in a Victorian lunatic asylum without any hope of escape?

2016: Rose is excited when Dan asks her to go to the fair with him. But an encounter with some dangerous men leads them to an abandoned lunatic asylum with dark secrets of its own.

Visiting Scarborough over a century apart, Alice and Rose’s stories are nevertheless connected in mysterious ways.

Scarborough Fair is the first in a thrilling historical trilogy. Are you going to Scarborough Fair?
'Scarborough Fair' had a fast pace. The POV changed quite some, but it was always clear where things went. Somehow the stories of Alice and Rose kept in line with each other, and I could hardly lay down the book, because I so much wanted to know what would happen to the characters.
To be honest with you I can't remember the last time I've read a ya book besides this one. I know a lot of adults do but I'm not one of them. With that being said, I enjoyed this, actually a lot more than I thought I would considering I've never read this author either. This is a time slip book taking place in 1899 and 2016. Turns out the girl in the 2016 parts of the story is related to a character in the 1899 parts of the story. In 1899 Alice is put in a lunatic asylum by her intended with no hope of escape under false information just so he can get his hands on her inheritance she gets when she turns 21.
In 2016 Rose comes with her mother to Scarborough to visit her firecracker of a granny who is slowing down but doesn't want to admit it even after a fall. Rose meets Dan in Scarborough and sparks fly for this teenage couple. Can this modern day sleuthing couple solve this suspenseful historical mystery?
This book was fun and kept me guessing. I really hope I get a chance to read the other two books in his trilogy.
Pub Date 20 Mar 2018
I was given a complimentary copy of this book from Margarita Morris through NetGalley. All opinions expressed are my own.
Highly enjoyable mixture of gothic victorian and modern day mystery very cleverly entwined. Perfect pace. This impressive story grabbed me from the start and kept me entertained all the way.

Thank you Netgalley and Xpresso Book Tours
received an ARC of this book from NetGalley to read in exchange for a fair review. I enjoyed it and kept guessing , a must read.
Likes:
- Writing / The writing is lovely. The dialogue is rich, the scenes are colourful, and the author gets inside each character's head brilliantly.
- Atmosphere / The atmosphere is amazing. You really feel as though you're by the beach, or at the fair, and the setting comes alive with a beautiful tangibility. It's that homely, magical, small town English vibe.
- Plot / The plot is fast-paced, entertaining, exciting, and action packed. It's so much fun and deliciously light-hearted and innocent. There's danger, but it's never terrifying, and there's always light overshadowing the dark. It's a wonderful story.
- Characters / The characters are very sweet and easy to love. No one's particularly three-dimensional, but they're still compelling. They fit the story perfectly. And I also love the strong themes of friendship.

Dislikes:
- Romances / There are a lot of romantic ships in this book, and all of them are extremely insta-lovey. There's also the fact that the girls are way too quick to trust the guys when they barely even know them; for example, Rose and Dan meet after his dad almost runs her over with his car, and when Dan insists on following some shady guys at the fair and later following them into an abandoned asylum, Rose has no trouble going with him. She trusts him with her life despite the fact they've just met! It's unrealistic, not to mention dangerous.
- Too many characters / There are way too many characters. By the end I knew who everyone was, but it still took a while to get them straight in my head. I also don't like how mixed up the points of view are; sometimes only a small paragraph break in the middle of a chapter is the indication of a point of view changing, and it can be disorienting. It would've been better if the author had changed points of view by chapter instead of paragraph.
Upon taking a vacation with her mother, Rose meets a boy named Dan. Together they end up fighting for their lives at Scarborough Fair when Dan’s father ends up the focus of two shady criminals. Through a course of events, Rose’ adventure soon ties into Alice’s disappearance from 1899. Alice’s jealous fiancé found a way to make her vanish from Scarborough and leave everyone mystified.

Margarita Morris created a fun atmosphere in Scarborough Fair. From arcades to the beautiful seaside to an insane asylum, this book depicts a lovely scene. The characters are even easy to like and follow their story. I’ll even say the two story lines tied in to each other quite seamlessly.

That being said, the writing is amateur at best and was lacking a certain voice to make the story line flow along. While this story may be fit for a younger crowd who could over look the writing errors, it wasn’t the right fit for me. As a lover of asylums, fairs and carnivals, I was hoping for so much more from this book.

I was offered a digital copy of Scarborough fair in exchange for a fair review. These opinions are my own and no way influenced by the author, publisher, or anyone affiliated with this book.