Improper Cross-Stitch

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 07 Aug 2018

A whimsical little book, some amusing designs, but nothing very new. I did enjoy it, and the designs are easy to follow and execute.
This book was very easy to read and will great for any beginner cross-stitcher!  That being said I wish that the copy I received would have had at least a couple of patterns to test.  Overall a very good book.
Cute book for those who are novices to cross stitch as well as those don't have the time to create their own cross-stitch charts and are interested in this subject matter. Instructions are well crafted and easy to follow .
Thank you Netgalley for allowing me to read and review Improper Cross-Stitch. First of all, I thought given the title that the sayings would be improper, they weren't. Some were rather cute. However, there weren't any patterns, only pictures of completed needlework and basic instructions that you can get on the internet. Overall I was very disappointed.
Improper Cross-Stitch brings fun, whim, and a bit of modern snark to a traditional craft. The beginning covers basics of the tools and techniques important for successful cross stitch projects, making it an ideal gift for beginners. The tutorial section includes tips and tricks that advanced stitchers will appreciate. The designs range from mild "cat lady for life" to the ironic "wine and cats" to the nerdy "Squad Goals" and more. This title provides a starting point for unique and personal stitching through the inclusion of different alphabet designs, tips for design success, and details on finishing the pieces for display. This is a well thought out, delightful, and inspiring book for cross-stitch.
I love cross-stitching and these patterns are fun without being complicated. They're great projects for beginners and experienced stitchers. It was clear and concise and I know I will use some of these for future gifts.
A great brisk read for people who enjoy cross-stitch and humor.  Includes helpful tips and ideas for displaying finished work.
I love to do cross stitch and this book has a bunch of funny sayings and pictures. I am not too sure I would say it was improper but it is off the regular.

Cute gift for any cross-stitcher.

Disclaimer:
I received a complimentary copy of the book in exchange for an honest review.
Cross-stitching isn’t just a craft, it’s a life style. Believe me. I’ve been cross-stitching now for over 20 years and never stop being amazed at both the ingenuity that patterns exhibit in modern times, and the rapid resurgence and popularity of antiquated past-times. When I was younger, cross-stitching was something grandmothers did, but the newer generation of crafters have embraced it and modernized it beyond belief. And Improper Cross-Stitch embodies this movement.

Improper Cross-Stitch presents over 35 beginner-level cross stitch patterns that break the mold when it comes to needlepoint. These patterns verge on NSFW, and include profanity, nudity (as seen on the cover), and sexual innuendos. They are simple, and relatively small patterns that could be completed by individuals of any skill level. There is really a pattern for everyone. Some are cute and endearing, others laugh out loud funny, others subtle in their spunkiness.

When it comes to the directions for the patterns themselves, I do have one main criticism. The way the patterns are designed is by presenting colored squares and each color represents a different thread color. This is very difficult to interpret when there are a couple similar colors, and even more difficult for individuals that have difficulty distinguishing colors. I prefer to see symbols used instead for these reasons. I also find it helpful if the final size of the project is listed in order cut the fabric to a proper size prior to stitching. Other than that, the patterns were easy to follow and the instructions on how to design your own patterns were a welcome addition that few books include.

*I would like to thank the publisher, author, and NetGalley for providing an ARC copy of this book in exchange for an honest review*
Absolutely adorable! Perfectly thought out stitches for those that do not want to stick to the "generic" cross stitch patterns. I will definitely be making some of these to hang up in my home. The pictures are bright and colourful while providing the perfect diagram of the stitches.
With clear instructions to guide both fledgling and advanced cross-stitchers, Pierson-Cox’s Improper Cross-stitch provides plenty of snark and hilarity. Find the perfect piece to express your true feelings in humourous fashion! While I myself do not cross-stitch, it requiring greater vision than I can provide, I enjoyed flipping through the designs. My sister does cross-stitch, and I plan to get her a copy. I loved the cover, with its mooning gnome. My favourite, though, was the cat lady design.

***Many thanks to Netgalley and St Martin's Press for providing an egalley in exchange for a fair and honest review.
This was a fantastically hilarious twist on a popular DIY category. I liked the pictures and felt like the instructions were pretty clear.
Like many crafts, Cross Stitch is finding it's way with a new generation and Improper Cross Stitch is exactly what many people have been looking for.,
It begins with a great introduction to Cross Stitch, the standard how-to for stitches and what the count on fabric means, along with how to read charts. So this book works for the very basic beginner to a crafter that has been stitching for a while. There are full color photos alongside the charts, which helps a beginner to see what a finished project should look like.
I received an ARC of the book and it contained just a couple of charts, "Grammer Police" is my favorite, I'd definitely do that one for my mom and daughter, and there may be some included that aren't for all audiences but nothing that I saw would preclude me from buying it for any ages that were interested. Most projects seemed like ones that could be completed in a short amount of time, which is all most of us have for crafting lately.
I'll be on the look out for this book during the holiday season. I think it would make a great stocking stuffer or quick gift for anyone looking to get into Cross Stitch or a quick craft with a bit of attitude!
Cute and quirky book of clever patterns and helpful tips. I'm actually planning on trying some of these out to make for gifts!
Improper Cross-Stitch by Haley Pierson-Cox is a free NetGalley ebook that I read in late July.

13 sample projects shown with an outline on what you need, as well as how to display and how to create your own pattern/template.  Quite brisk and to the point.
Super fun and irreverent!  I and my crafty friends will be laughing along with these for the rest of the year!
This is a very fun and original cross stitch book.  I received a ARC sample of the book via netgalley, and while it doesn’t include the book in its entirety, I liked what I saw!  The designs are clever and simple (but not boring).  I could see myself stitching the Grammer Police motif and hanging it in my home.  I also think the Home Sweet Castle project is adorable.  All the projects are doable, and with the great instructional section at the book’s beginning, this would make a great book for the beginning cross stitcher.
"Improper Cross Stitch" was a simple, but cute book with cross stitch patterns that are not the normal, average patterns. One says, "I will cut you" , "Damn it feels good to be a crafter", etc. The book starts out talking about words and phrases to help you learn cross stitch. It talks about fabrics to use and about thread counts, etc. It also talks about tools needed, like needles, thread, etc. It also talks about drawing your own patterns (simple ones, of course). Finishing up your stitched piece is even included. The patterns are simple, yet they are easy to read and easy to stitch. I liked this book. It was fun!
I'm a big fan of non-traditional cross-stitch.  I stumbled across a website a few years ago that inspired me to pick up the craft, and I quickly got hooked!  It's a very portable craft, something I can take with me easily when traveling, and depending on the pattern can be a quick way to satisfy my crafty side.  I'm not terribly artistic or creative, but I like things that give me a pattern to follow...cross-stitch is perfect for me in this way!  If I can do it, then anyone can :)  I'll have to post a few of my favorite personal creations on here later...

Improper Cross-Stitch starts with the basics for the newbie...I wish I would have had this when I started.  The website I used was great, but having something to review in my hands would have made it so much easier.  I also bought some supplies initially I didn't need or were wrong sizes, and this basic tutorial can prevent you from making my mistakes!

The preview copy I received was electronic and thus I didn't get to review all the patterns or see them in great detail.  I can say though that the ones I saw made me laugh out loud (most of the time), go awww (a few times), yell "YES" (several times), and generally make me think of a person I would make each one for in an instant.

Patterns in this book are creative...maybe not always in the "words" but how they are portrayed between the words used and the rest of the pictures or context provided absolutely make them entertaining.  I'm going to add this to my Christmas list for the coming year so that I can actually make several of these patterns myself!  In truth, I might not be able to wait until Christmas and may have to sneak in a purchase well before then...I can justify it as a Christmas present for others since I'll be making several as gifts (wine and cats and squad goals are two I saw for sure)!

Added bonus: a section of various alphabets for customizing creations and a section on designing your own patterns (for those of you with more artistic and creative skills than me!).

I'm excited to see the whole book and all of the patterns here upon its release, and think this would be a great library addition for a newbie or old pro when it comes to cross-stitch.

*Preview copy provided by publisher through Netgalley*
Improper Cross-Stitch is an excellent introduction to the world of cross-stitch that appeals to a younger generation. It consists of an introductory how-to section, then a selection of patterns with full color photos and charts.

None of the patterns are out of reach of a beginner, and they are quirky enough to appeal to a more experienced stitcher as well, for short, instant-gratification type projects. I have over 20 years of experience cross-stitching and was absolutely delighted with the patterns, using such phrases as "I'll Cut You," "Talk Nerdy to Me," and "Grammar Police." I'm not entirely sure where the "profane" bit comes in, as none of the patterns in the ARC would I call profane...but to each their own, I suppose. The ARC was short quite a few pages (I suppose they didn't want ALL the patterns out there), but from what I could see this would be a book I would love to have on my shelf.

I did wish the author would have included some more information about the myriad of fabric and thread options out there. I understand that this is a beginner level book, but sometimes a little knowledge of the tools of the craft outside of Aida and DMC floss might go a long way in enticing newcomers to stick with the hobby! There are many indie dyers of gorgeous fabrics and threads out there.