Improper Cross-Stitch

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 07 Aug 2018

This title has a nice variety of designs, that will appeal to those interested in "sassier" cross-stitch patterns. Charts are well laid out and easy to follow. I plan to recommend this to a number of my friends.
I have been very disappointed with these 'sassy' cross stitch pattern books in the past, but I was pleasantly surprised by this one. This is more than the typical "rude saying surrounded by an ironic border" book. This actually includes patterns with cute graphics and funny images. Patterns are very basic and aimed at beginners (very aida friendly). Not many of the pattern fit my personal taste, but there are some I've like to do. I would say this is the best book of this type I've seen. Patterns are generally more hipster-ironic than rude, which is nice. I say check this out of you like that kind of pattern.

**I received this copy via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review**

I received a DIGITAL Advance Reader Copy of this book from #NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. From the publisher ---
A fun, witty, nerdy, and irreverent craft book for the modern cross-stitcher.
Sometimes it's good to be a little...improper. Profane, funny, and smart, Haley Pierson-Cox's IMPROPER CROSS-STITCH invites the modern crafter to bring personality and humour to their cross stitch projects. From a fully designed "Damn it feels good to be a crafter" to the beautiful Art Deco-inspired "fuck," Haley's patterns are fresh, lively and just what the crafter ordered.
In this book, she'll introduce readers to the joys of...

See Full Review
This book had me rolling! Fantastically unexpected sayings in traditional cross-stitch style has always been a favorite thing of mine, and with the patterns in this book, you can create funny and memorable gifts for your humor-loving friends and family. The patterns are easy to follow and aside from a few fancy embellishments (my French knots are abysmal), most of the projects are fairly easy for even beginning stitchers. This book would make a fabulous gift for the fun-loving cross-stitcher in your life!

Ok, this is my type of cross stitch book. Yes, I know how to cross stitch, I just do not do it as much as my knitting or crochet. Plus, to be honest, it costs more then my knitting or crochet, but that is another subject.

This book is hilarious at the same time so completely true. It is smart-ass, yet funny. Definitely not your grandmother's cross stitch samplers, lol. The "Talk Nerdy to me" & the cat ones I can really see myself doing. All the designs are fairly small & quite easy to do.

The book even gives you primers on how to do the cross stitch, items needed, framing advice, etc. It is an all around good book if you want to barely step into the cross-stitch...

See Full Review
This is a cross stitch book centered mainly on the theme of crafting but with side geeky tangents. Most of the patterns are fairly simple and straight forward. I didn't find anything improper about it but then I am not easily offended. I have quite a few patterns earmarked to do soon.
A wonderfully fun DIY book full of hilariously improper cross stitch patterns. It definitely makes me want to take up cross stitching as a hobby, as this book makes it look so simple and fun. The book comes with a ton of tips and tricks. Wonderful book! I simply loved it!

I have received a much appreciated digital copy of this book from NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

There's this fun modernization of many "traditional" crafts going on. Knitting/crocheting are getting fun, hip, modern, patterns and are being celebrated on the fashion runway. Doilies are being used in pottery as accent pieces. Cross stitch has become subversive. Haley Pierson Cox has followed in the fun footsteps of "Subversive Cross Stitch" by creating her own book "Improper Cross Stitch". I can't really review the book because the publisher decided to only show one out of every 8 or 9 pages. So I can see I am missing most of the book, but have only a few images of finished cross stitch to see how this person designs. No charts (which really...

See Full Review
I'm sure this will be a fun book when it is published, but as an ARC it is a hot mess.  Things are very scrambled and hashed together. Only a few images are shown and none of the actual pattern/grid.  How are you supposed to evaluate a pattern book with no patterns? One example would have been plenty.
From what I could see, the designs will be cute.
What a wonderful and hilarious cross-stitch book.  The book includes an immense amount of information for which you can use to create your own cross-stitch pattern or use one of the authors. Each pattern consists of what color embroidery floss you will need to complete the pictures. There is also an in depth section on creating your own custom pattern and how to do it.  This book is quite informative and I found myself laughing out loud at some of the designs.  Would recommend.

As an accomplished needleworker, I really wanted to like this book. I was underwhelmed with the lack of patterns, which, in my opinion, should be included, or no one will want to purchase this book. The "how-to" portions of the book were well written, organized and true to materials for beginners. The author recommended high quality materials, which in the long run are far less frustrating than using inferior items. She takes you through gathering the materials, stitching and even framing advice. She concludes the book with making your own pattern. I suppose it serves a purpose, but without patterns I can not give this book more than an average review.

I want to thank...

See Full Review
I enjoy the variety of designs in this book, but was disappointed that the review copy didn't show most of the designs offered. It would have been helpful in deciding if this is a book that I'd like to purchase or not.
Basically exactly what it promises. There is a nice little introduction to the tools of cross-stitch, although I do feel like beginners (like myself) might find it a little overwhelming. The patterns are simple, but funny, and I can definitely think of some people in my life who would appreciate them, having several snarky crafters in the family! I think that for a beginner, this is maybe not the best first book to act as an introduction to cross-stitch, but for the casual or experienced cross-stitcher, this book could be a fun source of ideas and inspiration.
This little book extends the idea of subversive cross stitch to include ironic and, modern designs that have more elements of modern cross stitch such as Backstitched lines, outlining for detail, and partial stitches.

The designs are delightful and will be fun to stitch. The introductory chapter gives you the basics of cross stitch and the final two chapters cover finishing and designing your own project.

Improper Cross-Stitch took a new spin on a classic craft. I can remember my mom and her friends cross-stitching in the 80s when it was the "cool craft" to do.
I love that Haley Pierson-Cox took a new approach to cross-stitching and bringing it to the modern times! By bringing in phrases and designs that were funny and clever, I think this will appeal to a younger crowd and help to bring back the cross stitch trend.
Additionally for new crafters, Haley does a great job explaining all the different components of doing cross stitch from picking thread to displaying the finished project!
I would for sure purchase this book when it is published and look forward to trying out a...

See Full Review
This book is absolutely PERFECT for beginners. The patterns are simple, and the book includes far more information than I have found in other cross stitch books. I was particularly impressed by their choice to include instruction on framing your pieces when they are complete.
I thought this was interesting. I wish it had more patterns in it but I did like the ones it did have. They were easy and I could see beginners liking them.
This is a fun little cross stitch book, but not really improper.  The designs are simple, and some are a bit snarky. All of these could easily be done by a beginner.
A fun and fantastic look at cross stitch.  As a hipstery cross stitcher, I'm always looking for new and cheeky patterns to cross stitch for friends and family.  I would pick this up in a heartbeat.  Pierson-Cox's patterns are clear and colorful and appeal to the sarcastic crafter in me.
This is a cute little-cross stitch book.  The beginning covers tools and the basics and then there are quite a few fun cross-stitch designs to try.  I found a few that I am going to do, including a Squad Goals design that has Bronte, Austen, Dickinson, and Plath on it.  I can't wait to try it!  This is a great book for both the beginner and more advanced cross-stitch enthusiast.