Sons of Blackbird Mountain

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 01 Nov 2018

"Spend but ten minutes gettin' to know Thor Norgaard and you'll forget he silent. You'll learn and hear things that most men don't even know how to speak."

Have you ever read a story that emanates a quiet strength from the very words you read? Sons of Blackbird Mountain by Joanne Bischof has the very quality to touch you from the very first pages and hold on until the very last.

Filled with intensity in plot and characters, Sons of Blackbird Mountain brings to light so many levels of development for our multi-faceted characters. There's so much one can't seem to grasp in life, but the loyalty of family, the brewing of love and the beauty of inner strength manifest in this poignant novel. The language is beautiful, the writing, well crafted and the various message and trigger points throughout aches our very hearts.  The characters, especially our gentle giant, Thor will grasp our hearts long after we close the book.

"She'd always heard him . . . because she knew how to listen."

In all, Sons of Blackbird Mountain's potency is not to be taken lightly. Be prepared to love, to grieve, but also to smile at the allure of the unspoken yet visible word.

"Tempest would still come and the waters would not always be calm, but she was beholden to this place - where body and heart knew the love. . .so sure and so strong that even the coming winds of winter seemed to fall at bay."

Disclaimer: I received an ARC of this book from the author/publisher. I was not required to write a positive review, and have not been compensated for this. This is my honest opinion.
The setting for Sons of Blackbird Mountain is Appalachia approximately 30 years after the Civil war.  The South is still reeling financially from the fallout the loss of the conflict brought upon them.  The male characters are a trio of Norwegian brothers:  the Norgaards, with Thor and Haakon taking central roles.   Thor is a physical bear of a man, both deaf and mute but with a compelling quiet inward strength about him.   Haakon, like a typical youngest sibling, is unruly, loud and somewhat selfish.

The central female character is Aven Norgaard, a pretty young widow, who had been married to the brothers' cousin in Norway.  Although originally from Ireland, she travels to the US under the guise of coming to care for the brothers whom she understands to be children.

The brothers are farmers with a large apple orchard from which they make a very pleasing whiskey.  It is a good living for them; however, it also fuels Thor's severe dependence on hard drink.

Upon Aven's arrival, Thor and Haakon both vie for her affections, and it begins to destroy the peace between them.  Although drawn to both brothers it is Thor to whom she is most attracted.  Troubles abound for this family both from within the walls of their home and from a long-standing feud with hateful and violent neighbors who belong to the Klu Klux Klan.

I loved Civil War novels and enjoyed reading about the ongoing hostilities that still existed so many years following the war.  I was very interested in learning about how the deaf were treated and schooled in this era.  Aven and Thor's love story is tender and deeply touching.  I thoroughly enjoyed this novel and am grateful to Netgalley for the ARC they provided me, for this is my honest review.
The Sons of Blackbird Mountain by Joanne Bischof was a great read.  I enjoyed that it had the thread of Norwegian life and the coming to America stitched through it.  This girl comes to her late husband’s family of brothers to be their housekeeper and a couple of the brothers are swept up in their feelings for her.  One of the brothers has a hearing loss and the story is developed about how that affected his everyday life.  Sign language was a needed source for him to be able to communicate.  I also found the struggle to rid themselves of self-help and the breaking of bad habits to be stirring.
I received a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

***Also posted in Amazon, B&N, CBD
I fell in love.
Thor is a big Norwegian sweetheart and stole my heart right away. He is deaf, so things are different for him, and the author tells the story with that perspective and reality. The other two brothers are sweet too, but all three are pretty rough around the edges. Aven, an Irish girl, is widowed by one of their cousins and comes to them at the request of their Aunt. There are many misunderstandings throughout the story, starting right from the beginning. I like the detail - they own a huge apple orchard with varieties I've never heard of but would now like to try. A complex story about discrimination, addiction and rehabilitation. Mystery, danger and lots of love.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the Thomas Nelson--FICTION - Netgalley book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.
The writing was beautiful as I've come to expect from Bischof. The characters were interesting and I enjoyed reading about them. I like the inclusion of a deaf hero and the use of sign language. It really is a beautiful and expressive language that I would love to learn. The ending did feel rushed and that took me out of the story a bit. I am looking forward to the next book but I'm not sure if I'll be able to come to terms with the hero after some of his actions in this book.

*I received a copy of this book from netgalley. I was not required to leave a positive review. These opinions are my own.
Cue difficult review....may be some spoilers ahead...

As much as I wanted to enjoy this story, I never could connect with it.  Aven was a great character, but I never really got to know her—and moreover I don’t think she knew herself.  We know who she is in the moment, but we have no clue what her goals in life are or what her ultimate dreams are.  It’s clear from the story that she doesn’t even know from one month to the next what she really is going to/hoping to do, other than her talent for baking.  It’s evident that she falls for Thor, but she kisses Haakon too...I don’t understand her reasoning for kissing one guy while she is considering/drawn to two; it feels very modern and odd, in a time when kissing guys meant strong commitment or even engagement.  It’s hard to express correctly, but I think the closest I can come is that Aven’s character is more reactive in that she is shaped by every circumstance and doesn’t have a lot of independent thoughts and goals—that her life is shaped more by undefined longings than by real solid dreams.  Her journey from kissing one guy to marrying the other thus felt almost more like her becoming an attachment to someone who had a sense of direction than for her having actually discovered her own sense of direction.

Thor’s Deafness was an excellent portrayal, and I really enjoyed reading about his love for the apple orchards and his birthday

The drinking issue with Thor is portrayed very heavily and his drunkenness is a key part of the story.  This part is all very realistic.  However, I felt his recovery was not so realistic.  The doctor’s attitude I could have excused for rural ignorance, but on top of that they say “oh, it all cooks out” about using the cider for baking (which it doesn’t, and which wasn’t even a concept back then; teetotalers of the day, according to books I’ve read from the 1880s, were against all forms of baked goods—breads and puddings and all—that had any sort of drink as an ingredient, because of “desensitizing folks to the flavor.”).  Why not use applesauce or apple juice in the baked goods?

Writing style—Bischof uses a choppy, driven prose, and that’s hard for me sometimes because instead of using regular sentence fragments, often sentences are deliberately fragmented by putting a period right in the middle for no reason at all.  Also, it doesn’t pair well with historic forms of expression; they definitely would not have talked in fragments to that extent, and it interrupted the historical feel of the conversation.

Setting—the apple farm itself was excellent.  The scenery is rich and easy to see in the imagination.  The historical setting, not so much.  Seems to drift between Civil War era habits to twenties habits, so without a strong setting of history it felt fragmented.  In one part it talks about the brothers’ father having fought in the war and makes it seem like they were boys, but I was thinking of it having been set in the 1890s, which would make them men in their fifties...and that was just one of my mental hiccups.

So ultimately the book bothered me more than it pleased me, despite some great moments.

Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for a free review copy.  A favorable review was not required.
For ages, I’ve heard about how wonderful Joanne Bischof’s books are. Practically every time I turn around, someone is saying how amazing her writing is.

So, I dedided to find out for myself! Sons of Blackbird Mountain is the first book I have read by her, and IT DID NOT DISAPPOINT! It was sooooo good!

First of all, the Hero is Flawed! In more ways than one!! It was so refreshing to read! I know that probably sounds like a strange first point (and statement in general), but so many times, the hero is so....squeaky clean and pretty much flawless....but in this story it was different and I think that is so important! The hero had issues. Major problems that were incredibly difficult to overcome, but in the end they helped to add to the rich tapestry of love contained in this story.

I immediately fell in love with Thor. His quiet manner, and all the hurt and pain he carries around are deeply touching and it was incredible to be able to follow his struggles (as both a deaf man and a recovering alchoholic) and watch his fledgling faith begin to bud!

And Aven! (Can I just say I really like her name?!) She is an incredibly complex character whose background of hurt and hardship, instead of breaking her, help craft her into a strong, faith-filled woman.

I really enjoyed watching as the love story progressed. And they had to go through some tough things, so that made it even sweeter!

Haakon. He is so lost and broken and he has endured so much as well. He allows his brokenness to drive him to a terrible decision, but I don’t believe he is beyond redemption, and I’m hopeful, based on the last couple of chapters of the book, that we will see him again soon, and maybe we will get to see him change, learn, grow, and maybe get redeemed too.

I really liked the addition of the Sorrel dynamic, and it had a very real feel to it, seeing the South kind of coming to grips with a new way of life after the Civil War. There was so much hate and destruction during that time, and I liked how Joanne Bischof addressed it and showed the Norgaard’s reaching across the lines that separated them and trying to bring some peace and hope.  I hope that as the series progresses, we will see even more of the healing and rebuilding taking place.  Oh! I also really liked Peter and I’m hoping to see him again in a later book! (Maybe with his own story.....?)

Anyway, I’ve gone on too long about this book, but I just want you, Potential Reader, to know how fantastic this book truly is! Trust me, pick it up! I truly believe you won’t be disappointed! :-)

Note: There is a small bit of mature content in this book. It deals with alchoholism, the KKK, and an assault, but there is nothing graphic and it doesn’t go into a ton of detail.
Joanne Bischof's novels capture your attention from the cover, to the first page, straight through to the last page. Sons of Blackbird Mountain is no different. Aven's husband died and she goes to a far away place in nineteenth-century Appalachia to be with his cousins. The Norgaard brothers are tough, rugged, and open their hearts and home to her. One of the brothers is deaf and mute, and has a troubling past. Can love heal his pain and knit the family together, or pull it apart at the seams?

Sons of Blackbird Mountain will pull you in with the beauty and harshness of living in Appalachia. Aven must learn to trust the family she has come to live with. As she opens her heart to love will the family she's come to know fall apart?

If you enjoy historical romances, you will love this story!

I received a free copy from Net Galley in the hope that I would mention/review it on my blog. I was not required to give a positive review, only my honest opinion - which I've done. All thoughts and opinions expressed are my own and I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.
This book. I can't stop thinking about it. I haven't had a book hangover like this in a little while, so you know it took my breath away. First, kudos to the author for including a deaf hero. My daughter took ASL a couple of years ago, and would share what she'd learned in her class with my husband and I. She developed a real love for the language and would always look for deaf people when we were out and about. Imagine my surprise to see a deaf hero. My immediate reaction was, how in the world is the author going to pull this off? Sure, we'll be able to hear his thoughts, but the dialogue won't be the same. I was skeptical, wondering how an author (even as great as Joanne Bischof) could write this in a way that would connect me with the character. Let me just put your mind at ease right now. Not only did I easily connect with Thor, but I found myself feeling his frustrations, joys, understanding him when no one else could, and maybe developing a teeny tiny little itsy bitsy crush ;)

Dare I say that Joanne Bischof has outdone herself with this novel? I couldn't keep away from it. I wanted to jump inside my ipad and become a character in the story. When there was something wrong, I wanted to help. When Thor hit his breaking point, I wanted to comfort him. When Aven was cooking, I wanted to cook with her. The secondary characters also beckoned me to jump in. To be honest, they didn't really feel like secondary characters. It was just one big happy family that I wanted to be a part of.

Now, as much as I did love this book, I do have one minor complaint. The ending for one of the characters was a bit short in my opinion. I wanted more! Now, I know there is a sequel in the works, so I hope this character's story can be wrapped up in that. And by the way, I'm not sure I can wait that long to read it! But this is really my only complaint. My guess is that it was done on purpose for the sequel, but I just felt it was a little too open ended.

Back to the good stuff. I could probably talk your ear off for an entire day with all the good things this story has to offer. Aven is strong, endearing, loving, kind, and devoted. The way she handles herself around Thor is not only mesmerizing to read, but it is inspiring. She adapts to her role in this household very quickly, and I think she kept the three bother's on their toes every now and then. She showed grace when needed, but also knew how to let loose and have fun.

If ever there was a Joanne Bischof novel for you to read, this is the one. Jam packed with emotion, you will not want to put it down for even one second. It is all that and more! I received a complimentary copy of this book. I was not required to write a favorable review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
And here he stood, wondering why God had seen fit to bless a man such as him. One who had spent his life looking for a way out or a reason why. Always wondering and questioning why the Lord had picked him to live this silent life. The Lord also will be a refuge for the oppressed, a refuge in times of trouble.

Breathe. How to put in words such a beautiful prose of redemption, love, faithfulness and community. Everything you ache for is expressed in this love story. It is not a love story between a man and woman but of God's faithfulness. The goodness of God expressed in faithfulness that is not forced but accepted.

Set after the civil war, Aven an Irish widow, who has set sail from Norway to Virginia. In correspondence with her husband Ben's aunt Dorthea who has urged Aven to come to Virginia to care for her young nephews. Aven is eager to start over. However, when she arrives, she is surprised that the young nephews are not young boys as Dorthea led her to believe but young men. Aven also discovers that Dorthea has died. Not knowing what to do and where to turn. The eldest of the nephews Jorgan encourages Aven to make her home with Jorgan and his two brothers. That she would be safe and they would support her with whatever she decides to do. To help them care for their orchard and land or find work elsewhere.

Aven is captured by her new family. Each of the characters are characterized by vulnerability and the hardness of life. Thor who is deaf and suffers in silent pain of alcoholism. Haakon the youngest brother who struggles with his own demons.

The two brothers Thor and Haakon fall in love with Aven and the tension becomes thick as the brothers struggle to make their feelings known. Aven has her own struggles as she finds the courage to love again.

There is tension thru out with contrasting characters and the struggles of love and to be heard. Thor being deaf was given great care in how he was expressed, how he was feeling from his fear to what he truly cared about. Contrasted with his brother, who lived in shame of his mother's death and not living up to expectations. Aven in the middle as she loved one as a brother and the other to what her soul needed. I absolutely loved this and I can't wait for the next one.

A Special Thank You to Thomas Nelson and Netgalley for the ARC and the opportunity to post an honest review.
Oh my GOSH, this book! My great-grandparents immigrated to America from Norway, and our family is fiercely proud of our Norwegian blood and Viking heritage. So I immediately fell in love with the brothers in this book, their personalities, their struggles and the strength that courses through their blood. (I have so many family members named variations of Thor and Haakon, that I was drawn to them in particular, straight away.) The writing was impeccable, the plot incredible. I found myself so wrapped up in the story and the characters that coming back to reality was no easy task. Long after I turned the last page, these characters stayed with me. I literally cannot wait for the sequel, and hope to own more books by this wonderful author.
This is the first book I have read by Joanne Bischof, and it is an amazing book!  Before I even get to the end of my review, I already have to say that I recommend reading this story.  The characters are so complex and interesting, and the storyline is entrancing.  It was very difficult to put this book down, because I wanted to know what happened next in each character’s journey, which of course was a constant surprise.  This book is filled with joy, pain, sorrow, love, hate, and growth—making it an adventure equal to life, yet still takes the reader to another place and time.

Aven Norgaard makes the journey across the Atlantic from Norway to Virginia.  Her husband is gone, and she hopes to find a new home in the welcoming arms of his family in America.  Yet she truly does not know what she will find there, and indeed, what she discovers is quite different from what she expected.  Upon entering the homestead, more sorrow hits her, and she must learn to cope with more changes in her life.  Why must grief always be a part of her journey?  After being introduced to her husband’s brothers, Aven sets out to find her place.  What must she do now?  And does she have the strength to find it?

Thor Norgaard is quite different from the rest of his brothers, but that is what makes him unique.  He might communicate differently, but he feels and understands the same as anyone else would.  He has dealt with pain, love, and loss throughout his life, yet he has had to deal with it silently.  Will anyone ever really hear him or understand the difficulties he faces?  There are so many challenges he must conquer, yet shame and regret fill his days.  He hates some of the things he has done, and he hopes that one day he will be able to make things right.

The other brothers and individuals in this book are so well written that the reader will come to understand the issues they face, and what it must have been like to live in the hills of Virginia in the late 1800’s.  As some characters try to move forward, certain characters cannot seem to forget the past, which causes strife in the county.  Will these people find a way to make life work after a war that has left them broken?  And will others be able to ask for forgiveness?  Can there really be peace between those who have been hurt beyond measure?

If you love adventure and stories that showcase history in a relatable way, then you will love this book.  And if you have read this story, let me know in the comments below.  Happy reading!

This review is my honest opinion. Thanks to TLC Book Tours for my copy.
One of the main reasons that I decided to review this book was that it sounded different. Set in the Appalachian Mountains with a family just arrived from Norway.

From the description of the book, it was clear that this was going to be a book with some historical romance but with some strong Christian themes as well. I am not put off by Christian fiction as long as it doesn’t get preachy.

Over the years I’ve been really lucky with the Christian fiction books that I’ve read and they haven’t been too heavy handed. I am not familiar with this author so I felt like I was kind of taking a chance on this one, but the description of the book sounded too good to pass up.

I was intrigued by the summery of this book because the main character, Thor, sounds not only physically flawed, but emotionally flawed as well. I was eager to see his transformation and how this story was going to resolve.

Thor Norgaard hasn’t spoken to anyone in his twenty-eight years, but when the young widow he loves crosses an ocean to live on his Appalachian farm, this reclusive alcoholic will brave much more than words to heal her heart.

When Aven Norgaard leaves Norway to serve as housekeeper to her late husband’s cousins in Appalachia, she expects lads in need of care, not three grown men—each in need of a wife and bound by a powerful brotherhood. As the men carve out a living by brewing artisan liquor, young Haakon’s pursuit tempts Aven’s lonely spirit . . . but it is his deaf brother, Thor, whose silent strength shows her the depths of real love.

Unable to speak to any woman, Thor Norgaard never anticipates Aven will befriend him, let alone treat him as her safe harbor. Though hard cider is their livelihood and his greatest talent, he fights his way to sobriety with Haakon’s help, defying the bottle for Aven’s hand—only to face a battle of the heart that tests even the strongest bonds of brotherhood (summary from Goodreads).

This book was exceptionally well done. Making the main character, Thor, both deaf and an alcoholic made his character extremely complex and challenging to write. The author does an excellent job at making Thor both complex and sympathetic. The reader doesn’t necessarily feel sorry for him, but feels more that there is hope inside him. The complexity of the main characters totally kept me reading. Once I started, it was hard to put this book down.

I was impressed by the lyrical nature of the authors prose. It was captivating and elegant, I absolutely loved reading some of the passages in this book. The descriptions, romance and complex characters won me over wholeheartedly.

This book does have strong themes of redemption and faith as once would expect from Christian fiction, but I personally didn’t think it was preachy or too over the top for the casual Christian fiction reader like me.

This book took me by surprise. I wasn’t expecting to love it as much as I did. It was a book that tackled difficult issues such as alcoholism and yet as this book took shape, the beauty of the romance shined through the difficult content. It was and exceptional book to read and I would highly recommend it. I am curious now about the other books by this author! I also see that this is the first in a series and I can’t wait to read more with these characters!

Challenge/Book Summary:

Book: Sons of Blackbird Mountain (Blackbird Mountain #1) by Joanne Bischof

Kindle Edition, 352 pages
Published July 3rd 2018 by Thomas Nelson (first published July 2018)
ASIN B077CS7X8G
Review copy provided by: Author/Publisher in exchange for an honest review, all opinions are my own.
Recommendation: 5 out of 5
Genre: Historic fiction, romance, Christian fiction
Memorable lines/quotes:
I thought this book was pretty good. I had a hard time getting into the story at the beginning but found myself wanting to know what happend. The characters Avon, Thor and Haakon were well written and full of depth. I really liked the message of hope, forgiveness and second chances. Joanne Bischof weaves these valuable truths throughout her story. I believe that the reader can learn valuable truths from the characters in this book.

I recommend this book to my family and friends.

I received this book from the publisher to read and give my honest review.
This book ended way too soon, but I am very happy to know there will be a book #2!! Joanne Bischof has such a talent for telling stories and inviting the reader into these characters' lives.
A surprisingly well done story with interesting characters and an interesting and well done story. It's definitely a book I liked more than I thought that I would.
Sons of Blackbird Mountain by Joanne Bischoff is an enchanting story about 3 very different brothers.  I completely agree with other reviewers that Thor steals the show with his quiet yet commanding manner.  This is a story about redemption and unexpected love.  I love the way the author brings this time period to life and shows what it means to be a gentleman.  I highly recommend this novel to anyone who loves historical fiction. I received a digital copy of this book from the publisher with no obligations. These opinions are entirely my own.
I was immediately drawn to the description of this book. A historical romance with strong themes of faith and forgiveness, the story centers on Aden, a young widow recently arrived from Norway, and Thor, the middle of the Norgaard brothers, apple farmers who make a very healthy living selling hard cider and wine. Set adrift and unsure where she belongs in the world, Aden begins to find a semblance of home on the mountain and finds her heart opening to Thor, but Thor's drinking brings up painful reminders of her marriage. While outwardly the brothers seem to have it all, old hurts and tensions run between them, particularly with the youngest, Haakon, and run-ins with their bitter neighbors and the Ku Klux Klan bring the threat of real danger.

From the very beginning I was drawn to the characters and their farm in southwest Virginia, but there is one in particular who captured my heart. Ah, Thor. A deep soul who often finds himself frustrated by the inability of others to understand him, with emotions so big and uninhibited that they can come out rather intensely. Numbing his pain and resentment with alcohol from the moment he wakes up every day. Never daring to hope that a woman would come along with the desire to see past his deafness, to make an effort to understand him and get to know him, to fall in love with him, to want to spend her life with him. Until Aden comes along, and what follows is a tender, emotional, angst-filled tale of love and overcoming addiction that really pulls at the heartstrings.

However, I ended up with mixed feelings about this book. I was absolutely in love with the love story and couldn't wait to see how it would play out, but I found the story often got bogged down by tedious details and description. Of course details and descriptions are vital in bringing the past to life, but it's easy to give too much and throw off the rhythm of the story, slow it down unnecessarily. And so I ended up skimming a bit. I also thought it had too many plot threads going on to do full justice to any of them. After finishing, I learned that this is first in a series and the author needed to set up several threads that will run through all of the books, but I still feel like these were complex themes--alcoholism, racism, superstition, grief, post-war hostility--that seemed sort of glossed over or rushed. And finally, Haakon sort of pulled a 180 and did some crazy things at the end that seemed to come out of nowhere. Turns out that was all a setup for the next book, but it just felt tacked on and contrived. I haven't decided yet if I'll read the next book because I don't really want to read about Haakon, but I probably will because, well . . .Thor.

If you're looking for something different in historical romance, this should definitely be on your radar. And it is a wonderful love story. Just be prepared for all of the other stuff that gets in the way.
An achingly beautiful and bittersweet tale of love, loss, addiction, and family, set in the heart of Appalachia.

Young widow Aven Norgaard leaves Norway to live in the Appalachian Mountains with her late husband's kin, helping to care for his cousins. But when she arrives she is surprised to find that the kin in question are not young boys in need of mothering, but strong and strapping men who make and market the finest hard apple cider around.

The brothers are different as can be, but they share a special bond forged by long hours working side by side to make their cidery a success. Aven finds herself drawn to the strong yet silent and deaf Thor, who finds much of his identity in working his craft, but also fights the demons in the bottle that make up his family's livelihood.

Mountain life is far from easy, with feuds and addictions that run deep, can love have a chance to grow?

This is a highly anticipated read for me. I was so excited to read this book as I have vastly enjoyed previous books by Joanne Bischof, and this one did not disappoint. Once you read this book you will be aching to read the next book, as it seems to end with a perfect transition into the next chapter of the family saga. I loved how Ms. Bischof dealt with the different facets of the various relationships between the characters and their varying level of communication with each other, showing the brothers's second nature ease with sign and reading each other's emotions, versus with Aven and the barriers that she faces coming to live with the close knit brothers.

The brothers' livelihood is hard cider, and though Thor lives in a silent world it is the cider that is his prison. I liked how Ms. Bischof did an excellent job portraying the dichotomy of the struggles at war within Thor, with layers of complexity that make this book sing a heartbroken yet hopeful mountain melody. A stunningly heartfelt read that speaks most in the quiet moments, with characters that will capture your heart and not let go even after the last page is turned down.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and testimonials in Advertising."
I was a bit hesitant due to the 'religious historical fiction' as I have read a few that were just too much in terms of religion and not enough historical fiction for my preferences.

This book did not join those few.   I am so glad I took a chance.  It tackles immigration, alcoholism, family struggles, and so much more.  I was rooting for Aven from the beginning and loved how Joanne Bischof introduced the three brothers who would form so much of who Aven became.  Thor, Haakon and Jorgan have already been through so much and now a strange woman comes from Norway and shakes up their world.  Thor is deaf and to say much more would almost spoil it for the reader.  Just read it!!   The characters grew as the book developed.  Nothing felt rushed or trite or forced.
I am ready for the next book in the series!

#SonsOfBlackbirdMountain #NetGalley