Believe Me

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 24 Jul 2018

This book like the first did not disappoint, it was a true page turner. It was dark, deep and slightly disturbing and I couldn’t get enough.
The characters were believable, I liked them and loathed then at the same time.
This author is now on my favourite author list, I will look forward to the next book.

I would highly recommend this books to friends and thank you to NetGalley for the opportunity to read this.
Although well written and good attention to detail not sure about this book, started quite well but did not really hold my attention.
When a character in a book or a movie says “Believe Me” start doubting of everything they say…
So be prepared for a book full of surprises and twists that will shock you, I am sure!
Claire Wright is an actor student in the US that needs money to survive at the big New York, the only problem is she doesn’t have the famous Green Card, so she is not allowed to work… So when a law firm contracts her to “uncover” cheater partners, she doesn’t have any doubt to accept the proposition. Of course everything will start going south when one of her “client’s” wife appears dead and she is asked to help on the investigation. Then, it will start a subtile flirtation with the evocative poetry from “Les Fleurs du Mal by Baudelaire”; between Patrick Fogler and Claire Wright, they while enter to an spiral of lies, secrets and doubt…
This is one of those stories where is not important if you like the characters or not, even you will have your own concerns about Claire… But this makes the plot more interesting and suspenseful. And while the story is told in first person, there are some parts told like a theatre dialogue, weird in the beginning, but of course you get used to.
After reading “The Girl Before”, the previous book from JP Delaney I couldn’t wait to read the new book, and let me say it has not defrauded me, it is as addictive and original as the first one!
Do you Believe Me?
Having read The Girl Before, I had fairly low expectations of this book - I didn't enjoy it at all and found the plotline quite weak.

The good news is that this one is better - Clare is a British drama student, struggling to get work (and a green card) in New York.  She ends up working for a team of divorce lawyers, as a 'honey trap' - convincing unscrupulous men to cheat on their partners.  However, when her latest target becomes the suspect in a murder inquiry, the police decide to keep her involved with the man, and hope she'll be able to retract a confession from him.  She's doubtful - could he really be involved?  And that's when it all starts to get a lot more dangerous.

Unlike The Girl Before, this book is engaging from the start.  It's fast paced and the characters are well developed.

It's the perfect read for a holiday.
I really really enjoyed the girl before, so was delighted when JP Delaney released a new novel.  However, the excitement didnt last for too long.

I found the book quite hard to get into and the short chapters, were too short for me

It had the makings of a good storyline, but then i started to lose interest half way through.

The main character was quite unlikeable and I think it is this that made me not enjoy it so much.

However, JP Delaney is a fantastic author and I look forward to The Perfect Wife.
Who doesn't love a good cat-and-mouse thriller?
I love a book like this one, that I can't put down and that makes me tense and on edge. I liked it a lot, although honestly I wasn't so keen on the formatting. Sometimes a little is lost when you read a book like this on the Kindle though so that's not a major thing.
I was hooked on the story itself - although I did find some aspects of the story to be a bit far-fetched (would Claire ever really be put in the situation she was put in; would a girl without a green card and no experience whatsoever really be used as a honey trap??? I think not, and that took away from the story for me a bit because I was a bit like 'oh, COME ON)
HOWEVER - I WAS SO HOOKED, and the twists - the twists in this book made me dizzy and I can honestly say there were several things I absolutely did not see coming and I love when that happens in a thriller.
This book has undertones of almost palpable menace which I still find disturbing despite having finished reading it. Despite the main character not seeming to be the most likeable of people I found myself drawn to her and willing her to survive the situation she had thrown herself into. I was convinced I knew who the murder was from fairly on in the novel...and didn't find out how wrong I was until the very end. An extremely convoluted plot that has been very well mapped.
I was totally conflicted about this book. A great concept - Claire is the ultimate unreliable narrator - and a storyline that had me hooked. Sadly, the lead character didn't inspire empathy and the general morality and ethics mean I wouldn't recommend.
This book is a roller coaster ride through the minds of a number of individuals. t no stage are you sure who did it and just when you think you have cracked it, well you know the newer,you haven't .
It is a real page turner and an insight in to what many suspect is the mind of an actor. Are they immersed in a character,a number of characters,who are they really? Do they even know.
I loved this book and although I had it from Netgalley I was a little late to the party with friends recommending it to me.
I have read this author’s other books and this one did not disappoint. Just the sort of dark twisted thriller that I really enjoy. I loved it. Highly recommended.

Many thanks to Netgalley and JP Delaney for the advanced copy of this book. I agreed to give my unbiased opinion voluntarily.
I found this book quite confusing, I think there were just too many twists and turns. Also I didn’t really have any sympathy with the characters so didn’t much care what happened to them.
Believe Me is truly a one-of-a-kind story that blew me away with how unique and imaginative it was.

Never would I have been able to guess all that happened in this story when I first started reading it, and I didn't. JP Delaney has to have one hell of an imagination to have been able to create a story as complex as this one, and write it out so flawlessly that I never felt unfulfilled nor unsatisfied with all that was delivered here in this thrilling, mysterious, and truly suspenseful psychological thriller - one that, days later, is still fresh on my mind; a story that is truly unforgettable.

It kept and left me in the dark from the very first chapter, and page after page always left me questioning what it is I thought I knew when it came to this story and the directions it was going to take - directions I never in my wildest dreams suspected it'd take, which only had me all the more hooked.

The narrative kept the plot suspenseful.
The writing kept the story unpredictable.
Just everything about this novel left me with a dropped jaw and a blown mind.

I definitely questioned at times if some scenes were necessary for the plot as, to me, they weren't and did nothing to forward the storyline other than confuse the reader when it was just not necessary. But other than that one little flaw, I found the rest of this novel to be absolutely perfect, and I would definitely recommend it to those who love a good psychological thriller that'll keep you guessing and on the edge of your seat from the very first page.

Believe Me is my first JP Delaney novel, but no way will it be my last, and if all his stories are anything like this one was - ones with original and unpredictable storylines, real and raw characters who both scare and intrigue me, and a narrative that'll keep me on the edge of my seat from beginning to end - then I know for a fact that I will be a fan for life.
Claire Wright likes to play other people.

A British drama student, in New York without a green card, Claire takes the only job she can get: working for a firm of divorce lawyers, posing as an easy pick-up in hotel bars to entrap straying husbands.

When one of her targets becomes the subject of a murder investigation, the police ask Claire to use her acting skills to help lure their suspect into a confession. But right from the start, she has doubts about the part she's being asked to play. Is Patrick Fogler really a killer . . . Or the only decent husband she's ever met? And is there more to this set-up than she's being told?

And that's when Claire realises she's playing the deadliest role of her life . . .

I gave this book 2 stars.  I thought it started off as an interesting concept and you could see how Claire could get drawn into the situation she found herself in.  However, whilst there were very good sections to the developing story, I just couldn't buy in to some of the decisions / actions Claire took so I found it difficult to buy in.

I am grateful to Netgalley for giving me an advance copy to read.
Due to the loss of my kindle I, sadly, was not able to read this book.
I sincerely apologize for this inconvenience.
This book was just ok for me.
I wasn't actually that surprised by the so called twist or the ending- it was all very predictable and slightly bland.
I would read the next novel that is due out as JP Delaney is a good writer and there is potential for greatness here but I found a lack of depth to the characters that I couldn't get past.
Unfortunately, this book didn't quite do it for me.  I know a few people have enjoyed it, so it could just be that it wasn't quite my taste.
Believe Me is a twist filled psychological thriller.  A struggling, poverty stricken English actress and drama student in New York becomes s embroiled in a cat and mouse game.  Fast moving and dark this is a compelling and complex read.
This was my first JP Delaney book and I will certainly be looking for more. The synopsis hooked me, like a honey trap, and the story kept me reading.
This is a great story filled with twists and turns that keep you guessing through out. The story has a great pace without that keeps you turning beyond the age old "just one chapter". Excellently written and certainly makes you think twice about alibis.
The only downside for me was Claire, I just couldn't feel for her or connect with anything about her. Although she is the main character of the story I didn't feel my lack of empathy or relation to her took anything from the story or the book.
Grab this book, but not before a date, and be prepared to second guess your second guesses and still have doubts.
Thank you to Quercus and Netgalley for the chance to read and review this book.
I would like to thank JP Delaney, Quercus and Netgalley for allowing me the opportunity to read an ARC of Believe Me. I can confirm that I chose to read this ARC and all opinions in this review are my own and are completely unbiased.

I truly feel bereft. I feel like something has gone amiss. After reading JP Delaney's The Girl Before (which blew my mind), I had high hopes for Believe me, real high hopes, but it just didn't cut the grade - definitely not my cup of tea. It has left me wondering if I have missed something.

So the premise of the book - which sounds great by the way - is that Claire, a struggling actor looking for work and living in the United States without a green card is so desperate to make ends meet she carves a living entrapping cheating spouses. Then, a wife of one of the cheaters is found murdered and Claire is used as a decoy by the police to try and get a confesison from him. Sounds like a great storyline doesn't it? Well it is, it really is and it is one that had me intrigued and captivated for maybe the first quarter of the book, but then it began to go downhill.

Although there is a cracking idea there, I just feel the story was rushed. I think it could have been packed out a little more. I found it quite difficult dealing with who was telling the truth and who was lying. It was a fast pace cat and mouse read, and despite the couple of little twists that surprised me, substance is amiss somewhere - I feel torn. Quite disappointed as I thoroughly enjoyed The Girl Before.
Loved it, exactly what you want from a JP Delaney and definitely lived up to the excellence of the previous book!