Cover Image: No One Ever Asked

No One Ever Asked

This might be a must-read book if you ever want to understand some of the aspects of understanding race in our culture. Although this book looks at the lives of three different women, I think there is enough male perspective that guys might enjoy it as well. As I write this review, I am not completely certain what terms to use that will not seem racial or prejudicial. I am a white woman in my mid-40's. I have been blessed with friends with many skin tones and ethnic backgrounds. I always want to be respectful of our differences yet not magnify them. I think this fictional book could start many conversations.

Here are some of the topics addressed in this book ...
-What it might be like to be a black person (both a teacher and a student) at a primarily rich white school.
-What it might be like to adopt a child who has dark skin when yours is white
-How it might be possible to feed into stereotypes
-What it might be like to be too involved in your community and not involved enough in your own family's lives
-What it might be like to have grown up surrounded by racism
-How it might be possible to be an accidental racist
-How it might be possible to demonstrate unintentional or even purposeful discrimination
-What it might be like to try to understand another person's perspective

I definitely do not want to give any spoilers, but I will say that an event is implied earlier on in the book that is not fully revealed until the end.  (I had a really hard time not skimming ahead!)  This story did not solve every problem. But the author makes you think and makes you ponder. If you read this book with a discerning mind, the pages just might change your perspective forever.  I highly recommend it!

Thank you to NetGalley and to WaterBrook for providing me with an e-book copy to read. All opinions are my own!
The prologue of this book opens up with a bang and it's not until the very last pages that you finally get some resolution.  The ending is totally worth the wait because I loved seeing how the characters developed through out the book as they wrestled with issues of racism and social class, school segregation, adoption, and sexual harassment.  I know what some of you might be thinking.  That sounds like a lot of heavy subjects in one book, but  it was just amazing to see how the author took three women's lives and combined them.  To tell you the truth, I was pretty confused at first because the first few chapters had so many characters being thrown at me that I could barely keep them straight. But then, it slowly all came together and I began to see how one character was going to influence another character and how one event led to another. ( If I had to teach a lesson about cause and effect, this book would be chock full of examples.)  As I slowly figured out how the three main characters lives were merging, I became more and more hooked.  Normally, I give a brief synopsis of what a book is about in my reviews, but this time I don't want to say too much.  Readers should let this book simmer in their minds at each new revelation and savor its messages like I did.  Despite its tough topics, the message of forgiveness at the end will leave you feeling refreshed and wishing you could keep reading more.  I was very grateful for the opportunity to read and review this book.  Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher.
A small town school district becomes a microcosm of racism in this compelling novel by Katie Ganshert. Based on facts, No One Ever Asked follows the stories of three women, each affected when students from a failing school district are given the choice of attending a better one. Students from South Fork High school are primarily minorities, while wealthy middle class whites attend Crystal Ridge High. This situation leads to conflict and an ending that is, although somewhat predictable, totally gut wrenching.

No One Ever Asked is told in the voices of the women, each trying to protect her family. Camille is the confident PTA leader, mother of three, whose seemingly flawless suburban life is marred by a surprise separation from her husband. Anaya is a new second grade teacher in the integrated school, trying to protect her younger brother who is now a South Fork star athlete. Jen and her husband have adopted a seven year old daughter from Liberia and Jen is troubled by her inability to bond with the troubled young girl.

Kate Ganshert weaves these stories together with skill and sympathy. The situations are real and believable. All her characters have realistic flaws. There are no winners here. I could not put his book down. It is a perfect book club read. 5 stars.

Thanks to NetGalley, Water Brook and Katie Ganshert for this ARC.
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for giving me an opportunity to read this book for review.

No One Ever Asked covers some tough topics on bullying and racism that is evident today. Not only are students racist but that trickles down from the parents along with the bullying. I loved this book overall. The only con I have is the misinformation on “diabetes”. The type the character has is clearly Type 1 Diabetes but it wasn’t differentiated as that. A few other facts were incorrect as well.

Overall, this was a great read and I would read more by this author!
NO ONE EVER ASKED by Katie Ganshert has been on my "to-read" pile for quite a while.  Set in Missouri, Ganshert's novel features multiple story lines, including one that revolves around Anaya, a young woman of color and the first in her family to graduate college and take a teaching position.  There also is Camille who is the chairwoman of the PTA and Jen, a single Mom struggling to support her child. Each woman faces challenges due to changes in accreditation and the resulting shifts in school assignments in their community.

I will be honest here and say that I sampled excerpts and have unfortunately not read the entire book. Normally, when I lose NetGalley access to a work prior to finishing it, I assign a neutral rating of 3, but in this case I am rating NO ONE EVER ASKED as a 4.  This is based in part on the fact that this title won the Christy Award, and was recommended by Library Journal for book discussion groups. Also, the public reviews (averaging 4.25 on GoodReads) are certainly positive and our public library owns a copy. NO ONE EVER ASKED by Katie Ganshert is published by Waterbrook & Multnomah who specialize in Christian non-fiction and fiction titles as a part of Crown Publishing Group.
This is a book that shows that racism is still alive and well.  The author Katie Ganshert writes a story of an inner school on the verge of closing, where some students are able to transfer to a more affluent suburban school.  It shows the parents, teachers and students opposing and trying to adjust to the new situation.  The story also tells of past racism in history.  Many of the characters are surprised by theirs and others racist feelings and many characters grow to accept the busing situation and make thrive from the experience.
  Thank you to the publishers and NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review this book for my honest opinion. 5 out of 5 stars.  This would make a great book club selection.
Nikki
Thank you Netgalley for the opportunity to preview this ARC of No One Ever Asked by Katie Ganshert.

This was another book driven by race issues that blew my mind.  If you have ever seen the movie Crash, No One Ever Asked took a very similar approach.

When a nearby low income school loses it's funding, it's families are offered busing into the wealthier schools if they desire.  This sparks an outcry from the affluent suburbans who are not interested in hosting "those students."  However, they are adamant, this is not an issue of race, it's simply a matter of safety.

But perspectives are all shifted that first year when a mom with a black daughter, a black teacher from the poor school district, and a mom who is adamant in putting a stop to the busing, all find themselves closely connected.  Prejudices are checked and actions have consequences...

This is well written and based on true events.  I took notes to myself the whole time on how to check my own racism and strive for more equality and kindness.
A well written book, great character development, with a deep, thought provoking story dealing with prejudices and discrimination.
Three different points of view that kept me totally engrossed.  How Ganshert deals with racism is very realistic, but respectful in the way it is addressed.
Christian faith elements
Gorgeous, poignant, heartfelt read. So many issues and the fact that this was taken from headlines makes it all the more wrenching. Families, community, schools, parents, children, teachers, students, all the multiple story lines intermingle and come together to bring a powerful message to the reader. Facing the 'real' world and seeing things through multiple lenses and hopefully multiple view points made for an introspective, reflective, and I believe hopeful read. This is so relevant to today. The multiple perspectives of all the situations and the multiple story threads intertwining was so beautifully told. Highly recommend for any reader.
No One Ever Asked is my second book by Katie Ganshert, an amazing storyteller who can weave real issues into page turners!  I enjoyed this one very much and could relate to the way Camille, Jen and Anaya reacted to new situations, even though I've never adopted a child, I've never taught in a school and I don't live in the United States.  I think that says a lot about Ganshert's talent!  Not only did she weave a good story, she also provided me with more insight into the consequences of racism and segregation - from the perspective of three women- and much food for thought.
I look forward to more books by Katie Ganshert!

With thanks to the author, the publisher and Netgalley for the reviewer copy.
A deep, thought-provoking book on a difficult subject.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the arc.
Truly an Amazing read Katie Ganshert creates yet another moving story. A very challenging a, heavy and life altering one indeed. all three key characters in this story have their own distinct personalities with their own negative and positive values. The story follows the journey of three very different women dealing with real life situation, it is an honest story and is heartbreaking.
The books is talking about so many things that we are dealing with in today's society and she explains the real question is what no one ever asks.
I would give this book 100 stars if I could.

Copy provided by NetGalley in exchange for a fair and honest review.
Katie Ganshert's, "No One Ever Asked" is an amazing book.  It's about three women who have to deal with the problems in their lives and also the racial tensions when another school, who has lost their accreditation, is sent into their affluent school district. This story is so relevant today with all the tensions in society today.

All three women included in this story make us feel their pain and joys.  Camille Grey, who has it all together, or so it seems.  Jen Covington who is a new adoptive mother and Anaya Jones a first year teacher.  Wonderful characters in difficult situations.  Looking forward to reading more of Ms. Ganshert's books.

I received this e-book from NetGalley and all opinions are my own.
Absolutely fantastic had me gripped!!! Loved it! Can't wait for more from.this author. Storyline was great, characters were easy to.connect with

Unless you’ve been living under a rock (or intentionally sticking your head in the sand) you know that even in this day and age, racism is still alive and well. And not only is it still alive, apparently it’s thriving in Missouri.

Due to loss of accreditation, the brown South Fork school children will be bussed into the affluent white neighboring schools. And this upsets just about EVERY adult in the book.

Camille, the PTA mom, is concerned about safety because of a recent shooting in the South Fork neighborhood and assumes that will automatically happen in Crystal Ridge just because brown people will be there; Anaya, a 22 year old teacher who wanted to give back to her South Fork community has to teach at Crystal Ridge instead, and ends up neglecting the teaching/coaching of the rich white students because they don’t need the help-they’re rich and white; Jen, a new mother who just adopted seven year old Jubliee from an orphanage in Africa, wants her to go to school with children who look like her, but is stuck at Crystal Ridge since South Fork closed.

This book was so eye opening. There’s a particular scene with Anaya and her old cooperative teacher and his new student teacher, and her coop teacher tells his aid, “Anaya was the best student teacher I’ve ever had, you have big shoes to fill.” And this was considered a micro aggression by Anaya. She felt the scratch. I had no idea that reference would be considered offensive and had to google it (still haven’t found the implications, would like to understand the reference if anyone knows).

But by far, the BEST part of this book was the author’s note at the end, when she gives recommendations for further reading and podcast “Pass the Mic”.
This was a Spiritual Fiction book, so it was a watered down version of reality, but I still recommend it to anyone living in the United States Of America.

Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for an ARC copy of this book in exchange for an honest review!
What a timely book. This was a great book because it really gave different perspectives on the same situation.  I was particularly drawn to Jen who has an adopted daughter from Africa given that I work in adoption and we are strong advocates for making sure that adoptive parents really understand what raising a child of a different race is going to be like.  What they need to think about, what talks they need to have with their children, hair and skin care etc.  I've already recommended this book to several people that I work with and that I know who have adopted transracially.

Given the racial tensions going on in our country today this book couldn't have come at a better time.  People really need to take a look at themselves and what drives them to do or say the things they do. Camille learns her lessons the hard way, even Anya the new teacher at the all white school learns some valuable lessons about how stereotyping people can be used to create fear. This book is full of the complex issues surrounding race in America.  This book should be read by everyone.
As a former teacher, this book was right up my alley! Throughout my teaching career, I had the opportunity to work at many schools, and the inequities that exist between the students and schools are astounding. As a teacher, you really get an inside look at the inner workings of the school community, and they are not always positive. There is often a lot of politics, drama, and socioeconomic inequity that you are exposed to. I thought the author did a phenomenal job of highlighting this throughout the story. The way that she wrote was raw, honest, and thought-provoking. This is one of those books that I wish everyone was forced to read, especially those who think that teachers have an easy job. I also really loved the multiple perspectives in this story. Stories with multiple points of views are my favorite, as I feel like this allows readers to get a more objective, holistic view of a story because it isn't one-sided. I have already recommended this one to my teacher friends, and this is one of those underrated books that I will work to put on more people's radar! Thank you to the publisher and Netgalley for providing me with a free e-copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
This was a well written story that takes you through the biases that you may not even know you have.  It was an interesting view of different perspectives on the same event at the same time.  Each character was full of complexities that made them come to life on the pages and made them easy to root for and against, throughout the story.  It showed what can happen if you open up your mind and your heart and step out of your comfort zone.
I think this book is beautifully and bitterly truthful and realistic. By the end, Camille goes through far too much for it to actually seem plausible, but I think her character serves as the vessel through which the other characters and the readers really get to walk a mile in someone’s shoes. Her journey to an awakening she didn’t even know she needed reached all of the characters where they too have flaws. It will help readers identify situations where they might have reacted the same way and understand why that’s not ok. At the end the author talks abt the real story that sparked this novel and mentions the real school was mostly black and brown kids and I wish that had been part of her novel. Systemic racism isn’t solely a black and white issue. However, in this country it is still sadly the main focus and occurs far too often and has for far too long, so I can understand why that was the novel’s focus. Unfortunately, my children’s school is having a sort of uprising of close-minded people at the moment and I wish I could make them all read this book. It’s not about “those people” or “them” as the book references, it’s that we are all people and the best lessons in life are not learned in a classroom most days—no matter how affluent the area of the school—the best lessons in life are the ones we learn from each other, from accepting diversity of all degrees and through these interactions, that is where we truly learn the most vital lessons of humanity.