No One Ever Asked

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

I wasn't really sure what to expect since multiple points of views are not my favorite but Ganshert really made the characters and the struggles they face come across in a way I could relate to,
Very emotional . Sometimes hard to read, but very important. Racism is dealt with from the point of view of three women from very different circumstances. When a failing school district that is predominately black is closed the children are bussed to the predominantly white district and causes emotions to run high. Deals with issues that are extremely relevant in today’s society. Heartbreaking, important book. Highly recommended.
No One Ever Asked by Katie Ganshert.  This is the first book in a very long time that has me thinking about it days after finishing reading it.  Ms Ganshert has made quite an impression.  Camille, Jen , Anaya and their families were all true to life and thoroughly reliable.  Current headline topics were skillfully addressed and woven into an authentic, emotional and heartfelt story.

Thank you to the publisher, author, and NetGalley for the opportunity to preview the book.
Talk about making you reflect! This book gently encourages one to explore any biases, covert or overt. We often believe that we are without any [biases] but reading this book, it helps to reveal that there are many biases that go unrecognized. The way Ganshert intertwines the lives of these individuals creates an awesome story.
This is such a tough book to review, but I am going to try. The story deals with many different issues, but the main one is segregation and racism. I truly feel that the author did a great job with these issues and approaching them from multiple angles. As I was reading, I found myself questioning many of my own thoughts and actions as well as wondering how I would react if I was put into the same situations as many of these characters. I really feel like this is an important book, well written, and hope it gets widely read. I know I will be recommending it to others. It tackled a lot of tough issues, but I feel that it addressed them in an honest and realistic way. I hope that as others read it, they go in with an open mind and see what they can learn. I think there are parts of this book that will hit home with individuals of all races and nationalities.

A quote from the book I hope to all remember "Forgiveness isn't pardon for them. It's freedom for you."

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with a copy of this book. All opinions are my own.

I loved No One Ever Asked because it is packed with plot! You all know how much I need plot in a book, and this book was everything I always look for in a book. It had great, diverse characters, and things happened to them throughout the whole book. It is a modern story about race in America – basically about desegregation of a school district. When a primarily black school is graded as failing, the students from that school are given the option to be bussed to a primarily white suburban school. The community is outraged. They don’t want their kids exposed to potentially dangerous youth. It is intense and true…and sad, but also hopeful.

The story follows three characters. A white mother of three with kids in the elementary, middle, and high schools. A young black teacher who had hoped to teach in the failing school district but ends up teaching 2nd grade in the rich elementary school. And a white mother of an adopted, black girl from Africa. The book is a little slow at the start as all three perspectives are introduced, but then things pick up quickly and are pretty intense for the remainder of the book.

This book would be terrific for book club discussion. There are many other issues beyond the racial aspect that would make for great conversation. I wish I’d read this book with other people. It’s a powerful story.
Katie is an excellent author. If you have never read anything by her I highly recommend you do. She touches on tough topics and dives deep into the heart of humanity.

This newest book is no exception.

There were parts that made me chuckle as I rode in the car with Camille and her sixteen-year-old daughter. I wondered if Katie had been in the car with me and my daughter and that is why she could write the tension so realistically.

But that is not the point of this story. There are so many prejudices we all still carry and this book takes a raw, honest look at that.

These women’s lives are messy, as are ours. I wondered how in the world this could get cleaned up.

I loved this book and couldn’t wait to return to it. I highly recommend it.

A copy of this book was given to me through Netgalley.com. All opinions are my own.
This was a great, thought-provoking book.  Although a novel, it definitely reflects the truths of today's culture. The author even notes that her inspiration for writing this work of fiction is actual, real-life events. This book has made me consider my own attitudes and has piqued my interest in delving deeper into the subject of race relations in our world today. Highly recommend!
I absolutely loved this book! It addresses some major issues and discrepancies that still exist in public education. As an educator, I did not realize the scope of how many schools are experiencing integration, and the blatant racism that still exists in the hearts of so many Americans in this century.  School integration was a topic that I did not know much about prior to reading this book, but I was fascinated by this story, and it prompted me to delve deeper into these muddy issues that are at the heart of inequity. I read this book so quickly, and applaud the brave work of this author.  I absolutely loved the narrative, and highly recommend this book.
Thank you to Minotaur Books and Author Katie Ganshert for a free copy of this book.
This was a very powerful story. I thought it was going to be just about racism, but it really isn't. This story is about a woman who believes that she isn't racist, but discovers that she is.

Camille is the wonder mom of the school. PTA mom extraordinaire, she strives for the best. That does not include the kids from South Fork attending their posh school. While there are two strong supporting characters with their own stories to tell, Camille is the one with the true epiphany at the end of this journey.

Anaya and Jen have their own different, yet intertwined stories. Showing how hard it can be sometimes to overcome even the smallest obstacle.
What a good read!!! The author took a hard issue, racism and brought it to us in this book with grace and maturity. Wow. Amazing. This book will stay with you once you have turned the last page. Each main charecters gives to this book in various ways. Other subjects are tackled in this book and this book will make you think a little bit longer. Thanks to NetGalley, the author and the publisher for the ARC of this book in return for my honest review.
What a great read!!!  This was my first read by Katie Ganshert, and it most certainly won't be my last! Overall, the story was an easy one to follow (I devoured the book in less than two days), but it was a story line I feel that any person of age, race, background could relate to in some way or another. No One Ever Asked touches on the difficult conversations relating to racism and education, among many other topics. I love and find that I most enjoy stories with characters that all intertwine in some way or another by the end and Katie did such a great job at doing so! Katie developed the characters throughout the story that made you feel for them more times than not. All three main characters, their backgrounds and tribulations that they encounter were so real and captivating that you couldn't help but get sucked in.
This brilliant book ranks as the best book I've read in months! Katie Ganshert births a marvelous group of characters. Each one vital to the depth of emotions that run through a community when forced to integrate two school districts. Racism pitted against living out one's faith and beliefs caused this reader to search my own heart and mind. The players all have a voice revealing the angst behind their actions. The parents, teachers, and students affected, create dramatic statements. What would you do in their situations? This timely and delicate subject makes No One Ever Asked a must read.
I received a complimentary copy of this book from Thomas Nelson through NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
Thank you NetGalley and publishers for providing an ARC of this novel.  This timely novel explores the current state of race in America.  A primarily poor/black school loses its accreditation, and students that attend there are allowed to choose to attend a neighboring primarily upper-middle class/white school.  Inspired by an actual event, the author explores the masks that many don't even realize they are wearing.  Told through multiple perspectives, this one will make you think, challenge your notions of yourself and others, and develop great respect for an author who writes from the heart.
No One Ever Asked was a bit difficult for me to really get into. The main characters take time to cross paths. However, all the details and background before their encounter with each other are absolutely necessary, so I made my peace with it but I wish it could’ve been done in a simpler and shorter way.

Readers see all sides and perspectives surrounding the racism issue when it concerns school kids. We see from the eyes of those who are in the receiving end as well as those who are giving it out even without realising that’s what they’re doing. Kids of different coloured skins could go to the same class, same school, receive the same lessons from the same teacher and have absolutely different lives. The coloured have to give it everything they’ve got and more to disprove stereotypes; They could do exactly the same thing as white-skinned people but still come off as the bad guys. Readers get to understand that they don’t have the luxury to stand up for themselves without coming off as a threat. However, at the same time, they have to speak louder in order to be heard. It’s forever a game of tug-o-war where there’s no winning.

Despite the initial snail-pace that was totally on me, I wholeheartedly loved No One Ever Asked. Katie Ganshert’s writing is powerful, enlightening, and No One Ever Asked is a truly worthwhile piece of fiction that is recording the working progress of humanity concerning the racism affair.

Thanks to the publisher for providing me with a copy.
No One Ever Asked is a very well written novel.  A great plot and well developed characters.  I love this author's books and this one did not disappoint.  I highly recommend this book.
Originally posted on the blog--Fiction and Frosting.
Oh man, this book was something else. And I don’t mean it in any way bad, I have nothing but praises for this one. Now, I am not a writer of any sorts, so I won’t be using any fancy words to express my love for this book. My goal is to persuade you to read this one.

So, the experience. Diving into it, I didn’t really have any kind of expectations. Not unlike with other books, somehow, being a reader for years have set a certain standard. This was a complete surprise and turned out to be one of the best books I’ve read this year! And that is HUGE. I’ve rarely given a five star review nowadays. So please take the time to consider that you need to add this to your TBR. ASAP.

No One Ever Asked was a journey that left me questioning a lot of things about the real world. This book was every bit of wonderful, although fictional, it felt so real. It dealt with such sensitive topics with such excruciating care. Family, love, race, faith, friendship.

But what I really admired was how the lives of the three very different women protagonists— Camille, Anaya & Jen, unfolded with a purpose. Their lives intertwined that made the story whole and raw. Each of their lives engrossed me in a manner that I could not stop reading. These characters grew on me. They made me feel hope and finishing this book gave me a sense of accomplishment. Like somehow, these fictional characters made me want to be a better person in a world full of flaws in every degree.

“Proof that everyone has struggles. Significant struggles.”

The writing style was so profound that it just painted the imperfect picture of society perfectly. This was my first book by the author and also my first christian fiction. Katie Ganshert will no doubt be added to my auto-read authors.

No One Ever Asked will make you wonder about life outside of your own skin. It will challenge you to look farther outside the box and see how old problems still affect modern day lives. A definite must-read. I could not recommend it enough!
The author tried to do too much with this book, and in doing so, was unable to give any of the themes justice.  By having so many characters with so many problems, the focus was split too many times, and the reader is left feeling ragged.
This book challenged my thinking and left me doing some serious soul searching. In today's society where racial tensions run high, I think this novel should be required reading. If we stop to assess our true feelings, we may find our attitudes towards race may not be what we have always claimed they are. I applaud Katie Ganshert for tackling such a difficult but important topic.
An interesting and moving story about two families caught up in a somewhat racist community. A school that is predominately black loses its accreditation and some of those students are bused to an all-white school. The story centers around the school, but also with two families, one white and one African-American. Through a variety of events the two families come together in different ways and finally, learn to accept one another.