Cover Image: The Family at Number 13

The Family at Number 13

Mary seems to have a great life, but appearances can be deceptive, as Connor also discovers when he moves in next to Mary, in this well heeled Dublin community.  I normally love Bookouture novels, but sadly not this time.  It sounded exactly my type of thing, but found it a struggle - more like of a family drama than a thriller.  Didn’t take to Connor at all, thought he was unprofessional plus he didn’t really add much to the story.  Probably just not my cup of tea but will appeal to plenty of other people.
Not quite what i expected but a great read, I did find the middle a little confusing but all came together nicely in the end. This isn't my favourite from this author, so if you don't 'get' this one I definitely suggest trying another by this author!
I have not read anything by this author before. It is a drama with many twists and turns throughout. I did not guess where the novel was going and could not have predicted the ending. A cast of complex characters including three sisters, none of which were particularly likeable, all of which were flawed and damaged in some way.

I liked the beginning of the book which I found intriguing but found the middle section a little confusing. The ending draws the plot together and it all made sense - it is a good ending and worth persisting with the book for this.

I score this book 3 and 1/2 stars.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an honest review.
This is one of those bizarre books in which all the characters are dysfunctional, if not outright mentally disturbed. That kind of book is a little too unbelievable for my taste, even if the story is interesting.

Connor is a therapist who unbelievably (I may use "unbelievable" several times in this review; I see that I've already used it twice.) moves his practice from one location to another within 24 hours, when he decides to sink all of his savings into a rental property in an exclusive area of the town. The reasons behind this move are outlined in the story, but for a therapist to do this without even considering how confusing this would be for his patients at the last minute, and to even think that the average person would settle into a new home/business location without checking it out first...unbelievable.

Practically immediately upon moving in, he is accosted in various ways by neighbors who would all certainly qualify to be patients of his, or possibly patients of a secured, locked down facility. His immediate neighbors are all hiding their own strange issues, and it's debatable at first whether any of them like each other or not. That becomes more clear later in the story. Then someone is murdered. Guess one of them didn't like THAT person.

I found this story to be so contrived and unbelievable that I actually had to finish it to see how the author had ended it. If that sounds confusing, imagine how I felt reading it.

I'm not sure why I gave this book three stars, other than I applaud the author for at least having enough imagination to write something so unbelievable that it kept me wondering how it would end.

Thanks to NetGalley and Bookoutre for a copy in exchange for my honest review.
I did not really like this book because I was looking for more suspense and it was mostly psychogical, with a little bit of thriller thrown in.  There were a lot of characters,  most of them part of a very dysfunctional family, and unfortunately, none of them was likeable.  Even Connor, the therapist who unwittingly is drawn into the webbed trap  of this nice neighborhood by a former client who acts as a spider would, cunningly and deadly.  The family dynamics was memorable as what I would never want to be a part of.  The author started the book with an intriguing beginning, but the pace slowed down significantly from there.  The book read like a very dark drama (think soap opera with some awful characters).  The plot is unpredictable so does tend to help you to keep reading, but there is so much information that at times it was difficult to figure out what was happening.  The relationships between the characters is complicated and none of them has any redeeming qualities in order to resolve the issues between them.  This story of a family that has no chance of being repaired did not appeal to me, but it willl probably appeal to readers who enjoy a slow-moving psycholgoical drama.
This book took me a while to read as I struggled to get into it a little, but I did finish it eventually.

I enjoyed it but it didn't really grip me so I would give it 3.5 stars.

I received this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
Thanks to NetGalley for the ARC for my Kindle.
This was a very strange psychological thriller- too weird and dark for me.
Dark secrets, lies and perfection!! is what this book is about.

It is a twisted tale and I was kept guessing as to what would happen next. The author did a fabulous job at keep the story neat and the drama and the suspense was just too too good.

I loved the pace of this book,not as quick as usually is but the psychological grip held me vice-like. I adored the cranky characters and was entertained by the goings on.

I will be re reading for my book club and cannot wait to hear the ladies views.

An immensely satisfying read and absolutely terrific
This was one of the strangest books I've ever read.

It was definitely a thriller with twists you never saw coming.

Very interesting.
This is one of the dullest books I've ever read- sorry but I'm at 25% and I cant go further- Mary is grating my my last nerve and Connor is a stuck up snob- and I just really cant connect to them
I am a huge fan of thriller and crime books, so I'm always on the edge when there's a plot twist I did not see coming.  this novel did not disappoint!  On an entirely unrelated note, I have decided I'm going to hide from my family for a bit...thanks monaghan.
After really loving the accident I was looking forward to reading this , it didn't hold my interest as much as the previous one . I didn't warm to any of the characters , especially Connor , and I found some parts in the beginning a little confusing . Still a really good read just not as good as I'd hoped .
THANKYOU NETGALLEY FOR SENDING ME THIS BOOK IN EXCHANGE FOR A HONEST REVIEW. THE BOOK WAS A GOOD ONE, ALTHOUGH FOR SOME REASON I WAS QUITE CONFUSED WITH WHAT WAS HAPPENING BUT IT SMOOTHED OUT LATER ON. CHAPTERS WEREN’T TOO LONG & SWITCHED BETWEEN DIFFERENT POVS & DIFFERENT POINT IN TIMES FROM JUST BEFORE, PRESENT DAY & AFTER THE EVENT. THE ENDING REVELATIONS REMINDED ME OF WHEN I STUDIED ABOUT MEMORY BACK IN ALEVEL PSYCHOLOGY 😄.
Good book, mystery at its finest. Kept me interested but did have some spots of uninteresting information.
This was a tough read for me. I found it to be slow moving at times. It was ok.  Thank you Netgalley for a copy of this book!
So looking forward reading The family at Number 13' by S.D Monaghan and heard good things about it. I loved Sean's first book The Accident now that was brilliant.....But
I found this book confusing throughout and thought I had missed parts whilst I was reading it! and very hard to get into it. (Was it me?? did I fall a sleep whilst reading it) I found the beginning of the book good....then.......So confusing. I will read more of his books but this book wasn't for me.....Sorry Sean.
Thank you to Bookouture for this copy which I reviewed honestly and voluntarily.
I think this would’ve been really good as a short story. It had a few clever little bits here and there, it definitely had some psychologically disturbed characters, and it had a little grisliness. However, it also had a lot of extraneous detail (I decided to just skim a few pages in each chapter, didn’t miss much) and some plot points that made me go “hmmmm” — and not in a good way.

I think this book just needed an editor. An editor to make the author get rid of the cheesy parts, tighten up all that description that led nowhere, and perhaps not have the main “problem” revolve around a trampoline in the back yard. Really. (And I use the trampoline as the euphemism for all the things that happen in relation to that trampoline, but I don’t want to spoil the plot, so I’ll remain vague.)

Anyway, this is an okay book, fairly entertaining, and somewhat of a psychological thriller… but again, might be best if born again as a short story.
I did not have tume to finish this book before the title expired... i cannot give feedback on it. The beginning of the book was good tought... i wish i could have finished it
This book was on but the story was just too familiar. If I hadnt read The Couple Next Door or The Accident, I might have liked this more. Decent read though.
Occasionally a mystery is just plain quirky enough to keep one's interest. That's the case with this flawed and unlikeable protagonist, a psychotherapist who is outstandingly narcissistic and dislikes his clients. When he uses a deep pocketed client to get a lease in an exclusive neighborhood, he ends up living next door to a most unusual and disturbing family as well as within eyeshot of his former client and his stunning girlfriend. Despite disliking all the characters, I found myself wondering what would happen next and who was murdered in the opening scene of the book.