Cover Image: The Council of Twelve (UK Edition)

The Council of Twelve (UK Edition)

**I received a digital copy from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review**

I have said it before, but this is such a unique series! This is book #7 in The Hangman's Daughter series. I read only the 1st book before I read this one. I still plan on tucking into the rest of them. But point being, you can still make it through if you haven't read them all.

They keep you riveted. And this felt like a 2-for-1 deal. There were 2 mysteries happening here - the murdered girls being the biggest, of course!

I think it's interesting the hangmen have their guild meeting in Munich, Germnay! People treat them with such distaste, and yet they are a professional group of men.

Anyway, still a great story dealing with the reality that was the 1600s while trying to be a mystery novel. I love it!
I read the Hangman's Daughter a number of years ago and really enjoyed the attention to historical detail and the creativity behind the story telling. I have the rest of the series on my TBR list so I was really looking forward to being able to read the latest installment in this series. It was interesting to see how Magdalena and Jakob have grown as characters from the first book. I am very much looking forward to going back and reading the other books to see their development as characters. Again I was not disappointed in the attention paid to the historical detail of life in Munich during the 1600s. The author is a very good visual storyteller who does his research. I always enjoy reading a historical fiction book I can glean a history lesson from. Jakob and his family find themselves trying to tackle a number of mysteries in this one. The whole family gets involved in some way - even Magdalena's sons. This allows a reader to get to know the family members more as well These adventures also take them through different parts of society in Munich - from the street rat kids to the high ranking royalty. Interested readers should be advised that this book tackles themes that some may find a little unsettling - rape, abortions, women dealing with losses of children during pregnancy. If you enjoy any books in this series, I recommend picking up this one.
Being the 7th book in the saga I was worried it will not be as good as the previously ones, I was sorely mistaken, is better, Mr Pötzsch never fails to deliver a solid mystery.

This is the story of a serial killer that has been killing for at least 20 years without anyone noticing, no one even bothered to make the connection between the brutal killings until Jakob Kuisl and his family arrived to Munich for the Council of Twelve; his curious mind found these similarities and the story begins. The story revolves around killings, the forged of coins and a prostitution network. I never see the ending coming, the killer was concealed until the very end.

This book opens the door to many possibilities for the saga to be kept alive, a new generation will take over, I’m sure. In fact, more than a half of the members of the Kuisl clan are moving to Munich. I like Peter and Max duet as well as Paul, Peter and the street urchins gang in action.

“During this hour, just before the floodgates opened, the silence was the most profound — and the despair the greatest. It was the best time to hunt”.

I received an advance copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Many Thanks to AmazonCrossing, Oliver Pötzsch and Netgalley for the opportunity.
I love Oliver Pötzsch and this one met my expectations.
A very good historical mystery, well researched and written.
Highly recommended.
Many thanks to AmazonCrossing and Netgalley for the ARC
As usual, Potzsch delivers. A good translation as well. Each Hangman's Daughter book continues to grow the story without being repetitious. Plenty of avenues forward for this series.
Thank you NetGalley and AmazonCrossing for the eARC.
It's the year 1672 when the Kuisl extended family travel to Munich, where patriarch Jacob, the hangman, is attending a meeting of The Council of Twelve.  This is a trip Jacob is proud to make, as he has finally. been elected to The Council, which is the prestigious guild for the hangman of the Empire.
However, rather than Munich, the meeting is held in Au, a disreputable town just outside of Munich.  The lodgings are not up to par, to say the least and the townspeople are less than enthusiastic about the hangman in their midst, suspecting they bring evil and the devil to their community.  A series of brutal killings of young women only reinforce their fears.  As his wife and family are invited to stay at the Munich hangman's large home with his beloved wife, Jacob gets involved in the investigation of the murders.  His younger daughter is pregnant and refused to marry, he's looking for a vicious murderer, the meetings with his fellow hangmen are highly contentious - all in all his trip is shaping up to be the trip from hell.  His eldest daughter Magdalena helps Jacob by working undercover in a suspicious silk factory, thereby putting her life in danger.  Both daughters barely escape death and the unmasking of the murderer is a huge surprise...I really didn't see that coming!
Many of the characters in the book are based on real historical figures and the descriptions of life in those times are fascinating and quite chilling.  At the same time I felt that man and the world may seem to have evolved and improved, scratch the surface and not much has changed.  All in all this was an absorbing read and highly recommended for fans of historical suspense.
Oliver Pötzsch gives us a new exciting tale in his Hangman’s Daughter series.  If you have never read one of these books before then I should point out that they are all standalone novels, so arguably you can start reading them in whatever order you like, although if you read the series from the beginning then you will read them in the correct chronological order, and also you will better understand the main characters, how they have developed, and their relationships and interactions with others.

The year is 1672 and the Kuisl clan are off to Munich, the capital of Bavaria.  For Jakob Kuisl, after years as a hangman has been voted onto the Council of Twelve, the head of the hangman’s guild in Bavaria.  With his mind also set on getting his youngest daughter a husband, his eldest daughter wanting to get her eldest son in a better school, and her husband wanting to see about getting a treatise published, so the family have a lot to do on their trip.

But perhaps Jakob hasn’t been quite clear when he mentions Munich, as they find themselves outside the city walls, staying in Au, which isn’t the best of areas.  And so we see the family settle down for their visit, whilst the patriarch attends the meetings of the Council of Twelve.  As we soon see though, Munich is actually suffering with a crime wave of various sorts, there are murders of young women, false coinage being handled, and wealthy owners seem to be losing their dogs.

We are thus presented with a few mysteries which the family, in one way or another get caught up in, thus placing a number of them in danger of death.  Well crafted, both in the plotting and writing this has a lot to offer the reader and will go down well with fans as well as perhaps creating some new ones.  Quite fast paced this reminds us all that although perhaps attitudes have changed with regards to what were once considered crimes, at the end of the day there is not much difference between the 17th and 21st Centuries, and there are many in the world who would like to see certain actions reinstated as crimes, and which are still treated as such in many countries, as well as the fact that whatever improvements we think we have made, this is still very much a man’s world.

I was kindly provided with a review copy of this by the publisher via NetGalley for reviewing purposes.