Wild Hunger

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 14 Sep 2018

I was anxious on what to expect with this spin-off because I loved the original series so, so much. And this was a great start to the series. I'll definitely be reading the future books as I want to see what comes next for Elisa, but there's a few kinks to be worked out for her to find her own footing.
This was an entertaining read. I liked the writing style and I enjoyed both the characters and the plot.
I was so excited for Wild Hunger to come out having been a huge fan of the Chicagoland series and I was disappointed. Elisa is just as kick-ass as her parents and absolutely see them in her personality. For the first book, it starts us off nice and strong with a great mix of mystery and action.
I was given a copy of this book by Netgalley for an honest review.I LOVE THIS BOOK! Fun and engaging characters with well-developed characters and story line. Elisa is a spitfire just like her Mom. Conner and Elisa were very close when they were younger and I don't think she has forgiven him for taking her sword. When a diplomat is killed, they must find out who did it, before things go sideways. The chemistry between Elisa and Connor is is very hot. I recommend this book. I give Wild Hunger (An Heirs of Chicagoland Novel Book 1) 5/5 stars.
Well. It’s very hard to find great paranormal romances anymore and unfortunately this one just didn’t really catch my attention as standing out so I regretfully did not finish
This was a good story, though it made me miss Ethan and Merit more than enjoying their daughter.  I think that problem was the thing that got me stuck.

I did enjoy the spin off and maybe after a couple of more books in the series, I will be able to be more adapted to the "kids" being in the forefront instead of their parents.

This book was a little heavier with the serious stuff, but all in all it was good.
Wild Hunger is the start of The Heirs of Chicagoland spinoff series. This is my first Chloe Neill. I meant to read the Chicagoland Vampire series years ago but never got around to it. Since this is the start of a new series (featuring the heirs of the characters from the Chicagoland series) I figured it was a good place to start. While the premise was interesting and the overall story good, the main characters were very immature.

Elisa Sullivan is the only vampire child ever born. As she’s grown up, she’s found it difficult to find her place in the world without constantly being judged by what her parents have done. She ended up going to school in Paris and taking an apprenticeship with a vampire house for a year after. Her first assignment is to guard the members of the Paris house as they travel to Chicago to a peace summit being led by her parents. When a vampire is killed the first night of the summit and a shifter is blamed for it, Elisa knows there’s something fishy going on. Determined to get to the bottom, she and her best friend, along with Connor, son of the local pack alpha, team up to investigate.

I really enjoyed the basic premise of the story. Trying to puzzle out how the fairies were involved in the scheme with the vampires is what kept me reading. Elisa and Connor were both pretty immature and didn’t do a lot for me. Elisa, especially, drove me crazy. She jumped into things without thinking and kept a major secret from pretty much everyone for the entirety of the book. She read more like an 18-year-old than a 23-year-old.

This read more like a young adult novel than anything else. As the book wore on, the immaturity of the heroine really began to bother me and detracted from my overall enjoyment. It’s possible I’d feel differently if I’d read the Chicagoland series and therefore had some kind of connection to these characters. As it stands, I doubt I’ll continue on.

2.75 out of 5
I had a love-hate relationships with the series. Merit and Ethan’s relationship and story is drawn out and many of the books could have been put together as one novel instead of separate ones. In the end, though, it all led up to the peace amongst paranormal creatures and the public along with the magical birth of Elisa Sullivan, born of two vampires.

Our main characters take the back seat while their progeny are shoved to the forefront. It’s nice seeing them pop up, but it’s nice not to focus on them anymore. This first novel mainly focuses on Elisa and Conner Keene, the son of heir of the North American Central werewolf pack.

Elisa was born of magic and has her own personal strugglers. Sent away to a boarding school in Paris at a young age, she is trained to soon possibly replace her father as the leader of his house. I found major similarities between Elisa’s character development with Merit, her mother, in the other series. They have similar senses of humor, hidden secrets about their dual natures, and even their attraction to forbidden men – it’s uncanny. I felt like I was reading about Merit again – not a separate character.

The banter between Elisa and Conner reminds me of those two kids who grew up together picking on one another and never fully got over it – only their relationship eventually transforms throughout the novel. Conner’s pull toward Elisa surprises him but you gradually understand why as the novel continues.

The main conflict surrounds the Far coming out of their area in order to make impossibly demands and due to them, they begin to retaliate in the worst ways possible. This then rocks the other paranormal entities peaceful alliances, causing chaos that Elisa and Conner need to figure out how to fix.

This is only the first novel in the new series, but it feels like I never left the world. If you are a fan of the series – check this out. If you are on rocky grounds with the original but still iffy on trying it out,  I say try to give it a chance regardless.
The moment I saw that Chloe Neil was coming out with a spin-off series to The Chicagoland Vampire Series, I couldn’t wait to get my hands on it. I’ve been following the story of Ethan and Merit for what it seems like forever, so of course I wanted to dive right into the story of their daughter.
I’ll start off this review by saying, Chloe Neil did not disappoint.
I was hooked from page one (as with all her books) and I literally did not want to stop reading for anything. With this new series, of course you’re still getting a lot of what made The Chicagoland Vampires Series, but you’re also getting a new dose, a new taste of what’s to come with Wild Hunger. There are new characters, new threats, and naturally, new loves.
Elisa Sullivan is everything I imagined she would be, but she’s also nothing I expected. There is always a moment in book, where I think I have the character pinned down, but with Elisa, she kept me guessing. I can see her growing with each book as well, and I highly appreciate that in characters.
Wild Hunger is a definite must read, and one that I’m so glad I finally had the chance to read. I strongly recommend reading this one, even if you haven’t read The Chicagoland Vampires Series. Wild Hunger can be read as a standalone, so that’s always a plus.
If you loved Ethan and Merit, you will definitely want to read this!

This is their daughter, Elisa.  And boy does she take after both of her parents!

We get fights, mystery, secrets, a budding love, a witch that doesn't use her magic and some new characters.  We also see some older ones as well.

Besides Elisa (and her parents of course), Connor and Lulu Bell play a part in this book.

Even though Chicago has been at peace for 20 some years, that's not the case anymore.  Have no fear, Elisa is here.  She is picking up right where her mom left off though.

I do want to know what is going on with her though.  And how are things going to work between her and Connor, I can't see that going over well with everyone in the pack.

This is a great start to the spin-off.  Can't wait to read more.
Written by Chloe Neill, Wild Hunger is the first in the Heir of Chicagoland series, which is the sequel series to Vampires of Chicago which, surprise surprise, I have not read. But I will now be reading to try and understand what is going on. And because it features werewolves in it. This novel follows Eliza Sullivan, the only born vampire in existence, who has something a little more than just never being human going on with her. Eliza is going home to Chicago after being away in Paris for 4 years for college and Vampire training. She is currently paying back her time by spending a year as a guard. Being home she gets to meet the smokin’ (… I don’t know if there is a better way to put that, but it is appropriate) shifter and heir apparent Connor, whom she has known all her life. But, the vampire summit doesn’t go as planned and crazy ensues.

The writing in here isn’t… it isn’t the best. It is a quick urban fantasy read, but it has a werewolf in Connor. And it was very obvious what was going to happen as we met all of the players. But, I’ll read the next book when it comes out, if only to be able to say that I did and see what happens to Connor.

Need some vampires in your life? Need some werewolves? Want some urban fantasy that DOESN’T have sex in it? Give this a try. It will scratch that itch for a little while.
Neill's new series featuring the daughter of her previous characters has all of the great action and humor that her novels are known for. I enjoyed returning to the Chicago Vampire world and exploring how it has changed in the intervening time, falling in love with new characters while spending enough time with old favorites.
Wild Hunger is the first in the spin off series from Chicagoland Vampires by Chloe Neill. I will admit I was hesitant to read this as I was worried that this would be more NA than adult. Our heroine is very young and I didn't think Neill would make too big of a jump into the future before starting off with Elisa's story.

Elisa is back in Chicago after schooling and serving another House in Paris. Her trip starts out as her being part of delegation with duties to protect the delegates of the House she has devoted herself too for the next year. However, her Chicago roots go deep as well as her devotion to her friends. When all is threatened, she is faced with the choice of staying out of it and sticking with her Paris House or defending what she was born into. Elisa also has a secret that she's been fighting. She trusts only one person with this knowledge as he has seen it and unbeknownst to her, understands it. It is with his help that Elisa starts to learn how to use the secret she has to work with her instead of against her.

It was definitely interesting to meet Elisa, Lulu and Connor all grown up. They all still have a lot of growing up to do which is why I got the NA feel from the book. There is a potential romance line in there but it is very remote so if it grows it will be a slow growth. I think with each installment, Neill will likely pit these characters in situations that will make them have to grow and learn a little more about themselves. I think the maturity level of the characters is why I have such a hard time reading NA, which I felt Wild Hunger was. I am curious enough to want to know what decisions Elisa makes for her life now that Chicago is safe. It will be good to grow with the characters and be a part of what impacts their lives. I need to keep reminding myself that this is UF and NOT PNR. I have a terrible time when I don't have a good romance/action balance and I've been reading a lot of PNR lately so the switch was a little more difficult than I expected. I think I may have also suffered a bit of Book One Syndrome, despite being familiar with some of the secondary characters.

I did enjoy Wild Hunger and thought that the action and adventure made a great start to the series. I do have the curiosity to see how things continue on with these characters, so it is very likely I will pick up the next in the series. I love the adventure Chloe Neill brings us.
For this being my first foray into the works of Chloe Neill, I was thoroughly entertained and captivated.  Her writing style and plot creation remind me of early Laurell K. Hamilton (who just happens to be my FAVORITE author). Her character development was descriptive and still left room for the characters to be formed in my head while reading.
Wild Hunger is the first book in An Heirs of Chicagoland series. It's a spinoff of the Chicagoland Vampire's series.
I haven't read any of the first series and was a bit lost trying to figure out parts of the storyline. Once I was sucked into the story, it didn't matter. I needed to know what was going to happen next.

I enjoyed the story. The writing is good and it's told in Elisa's POV. There is a cliffhanger.
Reviews by the Wicked Reads Review Team

Erica – ☆☆☆☆
Wild Hunger is the first installment in the Heirs of Chicagoland series. However, I must inform Chloe Neill’s new readers that it is a spin-off of the Chicagoland Vampires series, which is narrated by the heroine of Wild Hunger’s mother.

Do I believe the spin-off could be read without confusion by new readers? Absolutely. But I may not be the best judge since I know the original series like the back of my hand. I do believe the emotional payoff would be much more for the reader if they read the original series first.

I’ve been waiting not-so patiently for this spin-off, eager and intrigued to see what Neill would deliver when it came to Darth Sullivan and Merit’s daughter. Elisa is everything I wanted and more. Logical. Pragmatic. Compassionate. Empathic. Elisa is a perfect mix of her coldly efficient father and her emotionally driven mother.

Now, this is where I believe it best to have the foreknowledge from the original series. The worldbuilding is explained, but not in an info-dump that would bore and distract readers who already know the what/where/why/when/how. I appreciated how thin it was on giving a rundown on previous events, which means new readers won’t suffer from too much information all at once. However, will new readers need more information? I have no idea.

Elisa is struggling with something not quite integrated inside her, similar to how her mother fought her inner vampire many books ago. This added levels of angst and fear, connecting the reader to Elisa in a human way.

Connor.

We’ve been waiting for Elisa and Connor since Gabriel showed Merit the prophesy. While this had readers dying to see how it would go down, the anticipation perhaps made me expect too much. While Elisa resonated with me, Lulu was Mallory 2.0, Connor was a smoking hot, broody, smug wolf wearing leather and a motorcycle helmet, they weren’t Merit, Mallory, or Darth Sullivan… they were original, but the nail-biting will they, won’t they, what happens next sensation didn’t inundate me while reading.

I’ve read Some Girls Bite at least 15 times, and the plethora of emotions the book sparks in me can’t be compared. The first handful of The Chicagoland Vampires are by far my favorite in the Urban Fantasy genre. Which begs the question, will I reread Wild Hunger? Probably not.

What was missing for me is the newness feeling of a brand-new series, where the reader learns beside the narrator. Elisa is the first of her kind, with a lot to learn about herself, while taking the reader along for the ride, and I hope more of Elisa’s growth is shown in subsequent installments, because I feel the fae plot overshadowed the reader getting to know our heroine.

I appreciate that these characters are the next generation, the spin-off is a series in its own right, and I tried hard not to judge the books and characters against one another. I was excited to read it, and I am left wanting more, yearning to read the next in the series. However, I didn’t experience that gut-punch sensation, the need to know what happens next, or the secondhand embarrassment I consistently felt for Merit, which made those initial books dig their hooks into me so deeply.

Vampire politics and reemerging fae are the conflict of the storyline, which is fast-paced action and suspense. There’s underlying romance between Elisa and Connor. I’m a sucker for angsty slow-burn, so I’m going to make a very odd request. Elisa is a vampire. I don’t need between-the-sheets action, but someone should sink fangs at some point for the titillation factor… they’re Cadogan vamps, just saying.

Sarah – ☆☆☆☆☆
I have to admit to holding my breath through the first few chapters of this story. I’ve read and reread the Chicagoland series and I was terrified that my hopes for Elisa’s first book were too high. Fortunately, this is a fabulous whirlwind read. I loved it and I think it is much stronger than the later Chicagoland books.

As Merit and Ethan’s daughter, Elisa is the only born vampire and she has had to live up to enormous expectations her whole life. When we meet Elisa as a new adult, she has so much more confidence than her mother did at her age and she has the benefit of knowing and understanding the supernatural world from birth.

Without offering any spoilers, this book feels more streamlined and coherent than the later books in the first series. This is almost a simple murder mystery at times. It stays true to the original world building. I loved the supernatural politics and the action in the book is brilliant.

I loved catching up with favourite characters from the Chicagoland books and I loved the insights we get when reading from the perspective of Ethan and Merit’s child. As always, this book comments on social and political constructs in a way that feels relevant and important. This story is beautifully written and I’m already looking forward to the next book in this new series. This probably doesn’t stand alone – new readers will want to start with Chicago Bites and follow the story from the very beginning.

Jordan – ☆☆☆☆☆
I read all of the Chicagoland Vampires books by Chloe Neill and loved every one of them, but they’re not necessary to read before starting Wild Hunger. However, I do think that having read them made me much more emotionally invested in all these characters. Also, if you haven’t had your heart stolen by Ethan and Merit in the Chicagoland Vampires series you’re really missing out! I was obviously very sad to see the series come to an end, but also excited to see Neill was doing a spin-off series with Ethan and Merit’s daughter, Elisa.

I loved that Wild Hunger was the same kind of thrilling action with a splash of slow burning romance that kept me in the edge of my seat. I’m so incredibly curious about how things between Connor and Elisa will play out! Also, Elisa’s character is exactly the kind of kick-ass heroine I would expect as Merit’s daughter. And I think any fan of the Chicagoland Vampires series will have no trouble devouring this new series and falling in love with Elisa’s story. I was completely enthralled from start to finish and now I’m completely invested in all the heirs of Chicagoland. I just can’t get enough of these characters and I am looking forward to read where Neill takes this new series!

5 STARS for Chloe Neil’s Wild Hunger

Kris – ☆☆☆☆
I read almost every book in the original Chicagoland series with fervor! I could not get enough of Ethan and Merit! This spin-off is about their daughter, Elisa. Elisa was born a vampire due to a spell that Mallory cast. Elisa is the first BORN vampire. She has a hidden secret that even her parents don’t know about, there is a "monster" inside of her that was created along with the spell that made her. After moving to Paris instead of staying at Cadogen house, Elisa comes back to Chicago for peace talks with the House Dumas vampires. The talks do not go as expected as the fairies are up to trouble! Connor, who is next in line for Apex of the wolves, is Gabriel's son. Elisa and Connor grew up together and have a long history of annoying one other. But they're both grownups now and they have some chemistry that heats the book up nicely. They aren't Ethan and Merit, but they aren't bad either! The story was a tad slow in spots and a bit too rushed at the end. But I think I'd be up for what comes next, especially if it has more on Connor and Elisa.
In many ways, returning to Chicagoland felt like coming home to visit old friends. There's that sense of familiarity, but things aren't exactly the same as you left them as lives move on. In WILD HUNGER time has fast forwarded twenty some years, so there's a lot of things different despite the vampires' immortality. Elisa is a smart and spunky heroine, but she's not just a clone of her mother. She's actually a good blend of Ethan's logical ways and Merit's strong will. She's determined to make her own path, with no nepotism, which is rather admirable. This winds up working to her benefit due to events that would have tied her hands in this book. I really enjoyed how she showed a strong determination to take the harder path in order to do what was right. Again she's just an admirable heroine.

Moving on to the romantic elements. Not to anyone's surprise, but Conner, the "prince" of the pack looks to be the love interest. At the start of the book, they can stand one another. But I'm a huge sucker for enemies to lovers stories, so this was like cat nip to me. I really enjoyed the natural feeling progression of their attraction as they danced around one another. Granted things felt just a little bit rushed towards the very end, but this reader isn't complaining about a little extra romance gratification. I can't wait to see what's in store for these two!

All in all, WILD HUNGER was an enjoyable kick off to the Heirs of Chicagoland series. I can't wait to get my hands on the next installment!
Elisa Sullivan finds herself in the middle of a murder mystery when she returns home in this spin-off to the popular Chicagoland Vampires series.

Wild Hunger is mediocre spin-off with too many details and little character development. The first third of the novel is an information dump on the previous series and general world-building. Elisa is a well-defined character, but she is not all that interesting. I can already tell this series will be about her learning to accept herself while understanding her place in the world. She has a romantic connection with Connor, but it’s really not explored in this novel. While I didn’t feel the chemistry between the two, others might pick up on it. I perhaps would have liked the two together if any time had been spent developing their relationship.

My biggest issue with the book truly comes down to the genre. I love fantasy, especially fantasy mixed with romance, but none of the urban fantasies I’ve read have ever really captured my attention. Sadly, Wild Hunger fails too. I think the genre lacks focus. It’s not quite a romance and it’s not quite a fantasy meaning both elements lack depth and substance. Those who love the genre, though, should still give this book a chance.

tl;dr A spin-off bogged down with too much backstory and too little character development for me. Urban fantasy fans, particular those of the Chicagoland Vampires series, should still give it a try.
Neill's spin-off of her popular Chicagoland Vampires series starts off strong and continues the story of Merit and Ethan through their daughter Elisa, who recently returned from Paris and reunited with her longtime arch-nemesis Connor, the son of  werewolf pack leader Gabriel.  Harboring a secret that only Connor knows, the two find themselves working together when a diplomat is assassinate and a pack member is falsely accused.
Neill always knocks it out of the park, and this was no exception.  A really great start to a new series.
between honor and obligation, before Chicago disappears forever.

Release Date: August 14, 2018
Heirs of Chicagoland #1
Berkley Books
Urban Fantasy
Review copy provided by publisher

Liza's Review:

So the Chicagoland Vampire series might just be one of my favorite series of books I've ever read, even with some of the craziness that occurred. I was so sad to see it end last year, but super excited to find out we would be getting a spin-off to the series with Merit and Ethan's daughter Elisa Sullivan. Wild Hunger was a great start to this spin-off series. While I think readers would be able to understand the world a bit better if they had read the original Chicagoland series, I think the world is set up well enough to jump in if you want to start this series with this book.

I loved meeting the kids of the next generation. Between Elisa, Connor, and Lulu I almost felt like I was back with their parents. OMG Lulu is so much like her mom Mallory and Connor made me think of is dad Gabriel. Elise is so much like Merit and Ethan it made me laugh at times. Much as their parents before them, they really did come together to protect Chicago.

Wild Hunger pulled me in pretty much from the first page. I never felt like the pacing of the story slowed down, and I loved being back in this world. Yes we had new players now, but I loved we also got to see so many of my favorite characters from the original series. They are all explained along the way, so new readers will have no issue following who they are as they are introduced.

I really enjoyed Wild Hunger and really can't wait to see where Chloe Neill takes this new series. I absolutely adored the action and the mystery in this story and loved the budding romance between Elise and Connor. They had such great chemistry between them and I absolutely loved their banter. I also loved every minute of the friendship between Lulu and Elise and have to say their time on the page together absolutely were some of my favorite parts ever. I loved being back in Chicago with favorite characters and some brand new favorite characters. I highly recommend Wild Hunger to fans of Urban Fantasy books.

Rating: 4 Stars (B)