Hunting Annabelle

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 18 Jan 2019

I LOVED this book. Love love love. I was so looking forward to this one, and it lived up to my expectations. I’ve recommended this one to my friends that love this genre.
I think the idea of this story is more interesting than the story itself. The interesting idea quickly wore off and I found myself looking for something else to read about halfway through. Unfortunately, this just didn't do it for me.
this novel will torture you until the last page! there were times I wanted to rip to the last page just to see how it ended and yet I had to talk myself into slowing down. This is a must read!
I hate writing this type of "reviews" but I  couldn't really get into this book unfortunately so I won't be providing any feedback.
I will no longer be providing feedback for Hunting Annabelle by Wendy Heard as I just could not get into this book. I feel like this story wasn't quite for me even though it started with a promising outlook. I ended up DNF at just before 50% of the way through.
I received an advanced copy of this book through NetGalley. This book had me from the very beginning. I love that it kept me engaged the entire time. I couldn't wait to see how it ended. I would highly recommend to all my fellow readers. Thank you for the chance to review this book!
A very on the edge of your seat type book! Such an intriguing plot. I enjoyed this author’s writing style. A dark, creepy psychological thriller about a man who spent 3 years in a psychiatric prison after being convicted of a grisly murder. There were times when my jaw would drop open.
So, I got a free e-copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. I received this through NetGalley as well. 🙂 I know this review is long overdue and I’m so sorry I’m so behind on all my NetGalley reviews but that’s life. Let’s talk about this book now. Oh, this is a spoiler-free review!

First I wanna say that this book is so different from the other thrillers I’ve read. I really liked how different this book was and just how strange the characters were as well. I’ve never read something like this and it really did help me stay interested. It’s what got me interested and kept me interested.

I know my rating seems really low because I did really enjoy this book and I don’t actually have a lot of “negative” things to say about it. However, this just wasn’t a five star read for me and I think the ending is something that bothered me a lot.

The ending just confused me a lot if I’m honest. It also kind of made me dislike Sean. Like before Sean was kind of weird which was also intriguing. It left the reader wondering and wanting to learn more about Sean, but the end just left me confused. However, I will say that the author didn’t do a bad job leading up to the end or anything. She did a very good job setting Sean up for the ending to work out….if that makes sense? I just didn’t really like the ending…but I guess that’s kind of my own fault.

“You just like saying that because it makes me look weak, and you want to control me. That makes you weak, not me.”

There were a few things I didn’t understand about the ending but it wasn’t a bad ending…I just wish maybe a little more was explained or maybe it was done a little differently. It wasn’t bad though by any means! It was a very interesting way to end the book.

My biggest thing that made me not like the book is that it makes Texans look kinda bad and as a proud Texan I didn’t like that. I may just be biased but yeah I felt like some of the things were to make Texans seem like hicks, seem rude, racists’, etc. and that’s not how Texans are…however I’ll give her the benefit of the doubt because of the time period she set the book in. I just don’t like hearing negative things about Texas…which if you know anything about Texans…we’re a proud bunch! ❤ ❤ Haha I know y’all think it’s a dumb reason to like a book less but oh well.

“The colors I see don’t work like a mood ring, not exactly. Blue isn’t sadness, yellow isn’t happiness, and pink isn’t longing. It’s nowhere near that literal. Rather, colors seem to indicate what people do to the world and how they affect the people around them.”

Now, I really liked how different Sean was from any other characters I’ve encountered in a thriller/contemporary. The author did an awesome job writing about him and describing him, in my opinion. I found Sean to be a very interesting character and I liked that he was kinda weird haha. It kept things interesting. I also found his mom to be really interesting as well and how she thinks. Oh, if you’re about that whole uhhhhhh what’s the word…….diverse! So, I guess some people might consider this book diverse because it has a Korean main character who suffers from mental illness. I don’t really think about that stuff when I’m reading, to be honest.

I know this review isn’t the best and it’s a little all over the place so I do apologize. I liked this book and I would recommend it to anyone that likes a good thriller. The author does a good job with description and she made the story flow really well and it kept my interest. The author did a good job coming up with something pretty original, in my opinion. 🙂 If you like dark books then I would recommend this one as well. 🙂
Set in 1980s Texas, Hunting Annabelle by Wendy Heard is an unusual, menacing sort of novel that follows a young man (Sean) who lives under a haze of medication controlling his schizophrenia. Annabelle, his love interest, was abducted right front of his eyes….but nobody believes him. We know from the start that Sean has a dark, potentially murderous past so he’s an unreliable narrator from all angles. As he tries to determine Annabelle’s whereabouts, the reader is left as disoriented as the narrator. Did Sean hallucinate Annabelle entirely? Did he harm her himself? This book is far-fetched and chocked too full of twists, but readers who enjoy getting inside the heads of complex, unstable characters (think You by Caroline Kepnes) may enjoy this.
After reading many recent thriller and mystery type books in the past several years, I realize how formulaic and generic parts of the story and writing can be.  This, however, surprised me, especially the ending.  While there were still some formulaic and generic plot points and how things ultimately played out, I genuinely didn't completely see the ending coming.  I was able to figure out who the culprit was, but the twist afterwards was crazy in a good way.

As someone who grew up in a small North Texas town, outside of Dallas, I appreciated the nuance and descriptiveness given.  I really was able to picture everything described in my head and I enjoyed that.  I also thoroughly enjoyed the descriptive nature of Sean's mental illness and being able to peer into his mind and get his thoughts on everything as well.

My only real issue here is with the ending.  I wish that it would have been more thoroughly fleshed out and given a few more answers to lingering questions.  Overall, good debut novel and interested to see what Wendy Heard puts out next.

Full Disclosure: I received an ARC Kindle copy of Hunting Annabelle through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Hunting Annabelle follows the story of a young man named Sean. Sean lives at home with his mother, and spends his days drawing pictures of people as he watches them in a nearby park. He used to kill people but after spending 3 years in a psychiatric prison, and being on medication, he tries his best to ignore the temptation. one day while people watching in the park he meets a young woman named Annabelle. They begin talking and hit it off as friends. Sean really seems to like this girl, and she even seems to see past the monster that is Sean and enjoys his company and friendship. They begin to hang around together more and more, and seem to become inseparable.

One day while they are together Annabelle suddenly disappears and Sean is heartbroken. He will do everything he can to find the person who took her and to bring her back to safety. However, everyone suspects him due to his past of killing people. He tries to convince everyone, including the police and his mother, that he had nothing to do with her disappearance. Who took Annabelle and why?

This book was an interesting read with a good plot and storyline, but I found the middle part of the book to drag on a bit. The story picks up a bit again near the end, with a few twists I didn’t see coming, which made the ending quite enjoyable for me.

Thanks for reading my review and I hope you enjoy the book.
Wow...this book is creepy, fast-paced, and has a very unexpected and crazy ending. I'm not sure how I feel about the ending.  I "liked" Sean, the main character, as much as one can like a murderer, but whether or not I like Annabelle is questionable, and Sean's mother was definitely not a likeable character. I never saw the ending coming which I always have a hard time with.  I don't like surprises.
Sean meets Annabelle at 4 Corners, a leisure park which he goes to daily to draw the tourists. Sean is instantly attracted to Annabelle and she is attracted to Sean’s quirkiness. When Annabelle is kidnapped on their first date, he goes of on a mission to find her. The police at first don’t believe him and then he soon becomes their chief suspect. His mother thinks he had an hallucination and imagened it all!!
Wow! This book is creepy! It focuses around a man in his 20s who has schizophrenia. Where a lot of books has a positive focus on mental illness, this doesn’t. He is violent and he tries to stop because he doesn’t want to go back to the hospital. A girl he is on a date with is abducted and nobody believes him. Everyone thinks he did something to her or he just made it all up. You go the whole book not sure what happened. The ending I did NOT expect. Not sure what I think about that. Thank you to NetGalley for allowing me to review this.
I didn't love it, I found it took to long to get to the twist and I was losing interest.  It was a bit over the top, maybe I just didn't like the characters enough to care that much.  The premise is good, but I don't know, it just didn't click for me- I don't want to give spoilers, but the "Dexter" aspect, just seemed so implausible to me- this is a genre I usually love, but this just fell flat for me.
Butter my butt and call me muffin...what the hell did I just read?  And why do I feel so much sympathy for an obviously deeply disturbed and mentally ill young man?  I was beyond fascinated at the glimpses into the mind of Sean Suh, our Hero (?????)  This had so many little twists and turns.  You suspect everyone, and try to make your theory fit the details as they are given to you.  Ohhh, I figured out part of it pretty easily, then doubted myself, but was gloriously vindicated when my guess was shown to be right, and yet there was still a few more surprises thrown my way.  And what an ending.  I can see this going on to become several more books...and I would definitely read them.
Enjoyed this a lot! I'm so picky and can be a little hard to please when it comes to this genre, but I really liked Hunting Annabelle. It went the way I hoped it would!
I truly haunting thriller that I couldn't put down. I would certainly recommend this to fans of Liz Nugent.
Wow I wanted to read something darker that would keep me guessing and this book certainly ticked all the boxes.

Sean Suh is the main character, we know he has violent tendencies and was at a psychiatric corrections unit for 3 years for killing someone. He is  heavily medicated by his controlling mother which keeps him in a state of stupor. Is he schizophrenic or is it the medication?

Sean meets Annabelle at 4 Corners, a leisure park which he goes to daily to draw the tourists. Sean is instantly attracted to Annabelle and she is attracted to Sean’s quirkiness. When Annabelle is kidnapped on their first date, he goes of on a mission to find her. The police at first don’t believe him and then he soon becomes their chief suspect. His mother thinks he had an hallucination and imaged it all!!

I couldn’t help but like Sean and wanted him to find Annabelle and be the hero. No matter how I thought this book would end I did not predict this ending. loved the twist!!

This is a dark and very addictive book which I found impossible to put down.  I was kept on the edge of my seat through this chilling story.

Thank you to Netgalley for my copy in exchange for a review.
Sean was recently discharged from a psychiatric hospital and he relocated with his mom, a renowned neurosurgeon, from California to Texas. Each day he goes to a theme park and draw the people he sees. One day he sees a woman who he feels drawn to and approaches her. They begin to foster a relationship and she goes missing. As the reader gets further into the book, they find out a little more about Sean and his time in the psych ward. We also start to learn that the disappearance of Annabelle might be more than it seems. How much is Sean willing to risk in order to prove his innocence? I found the book to be an engaging read, but it was a little bit predictable.