Believe Me

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 06 Nov 2018

Another great thriller by JP Delany that kept me on the edge of my seat! I love this author and again was not disappointed. Highly recommended.
Okay look, this is going to be short and not so sweet.

This book had potential because the audiobook was super unique. They had like scenes from a movie, complete with background noise. Super cool and when I first heard it I was like “whoa, whoa what is this cool aspect?” So that was awesome.

And then around the half way mark I lost interest. There was so much doubt throughout this entire book. Is Claire crazy? Is Patrick a killer? Who is the innocent one here? So much back and forth, yoyo-ing throughout the ENTIRE STORY that my brain hurt. It honestly hurt.

The ending was unbelievable and a letdown. And by then, my brain hurt so much from the possibilities that I didn’t even care how it ended. Plus all the damn references to that author/poet… I was like am I reading fiction or historical fiction because this was like an English lesson.

But this is one of those books on my TBR list that I am so happy to get crossed off. I was starting to get sick of seeing it.

Huge bummer, but I still want to read the next one, The Perfect Wife because I loved The Girl Before and won’t give up on this author just yet.
What a twisty, paranoid thriller of a book.  Centered on a British actress named Claire, who desperately wants to work in the US, she somehow becomes involved with the police in a sting operation against a powerful man who they believe killed his wife.  If Claire will play the role of a lifetime and get his confession, she gets a green card. Ok, right.  But is that what’s really going on?  If so, why does Claire end up in a mental hospital?  Why does she think people are following her?  Why does her “mark” rescue her?  It is a very contrived and unbelievable plot that had me wishing it was over long before the actual end even though the idea was great, but the execution was not.  I know the though behind it, but it came across as disjointed.
Claire is a British drama student trying to get by.  She takes a job with a law firm who sets up cheating husbands.  Her life is about to change!
Another riveting read by JP Delany that kept me engrossed from cover to cover! I loved this author's previous book, The Girl Before, so I was very excited to receive an advanced copy. Believe Me left me shocked with that ending... I love a great thriller mixed with secrets & lies and of course throw in some actors!
I wanted to like this, but I just couldn’t get invested enough in the main character to believe her actions, motivations, or any of the twists and turns of the plot. She seemed kind of shady and the ending felt a little bit unfulfilling. Ultimately, there was too much happening in the plot for any of it to work for me.
This book was incredible! I have to tell you - thrilling! The concept was so well done - an actress acting, within a plot with the police. Genius. Also, there are so many twists and turns, that you think you have the story figured out, and then...YOU DONT. I did not see the end coming, at all. It grabbed me and shoved me against the wall - I was in awe of it. Very few books these days can actually surprise me, but this one did, and it was quite a good surprise. Very, very well done.
I really enjoyed this book! It was unique and unpredictable. It was a nice breath of fresh air from the usual thrillers that I come across. I loved the addition of the acting classes and monologues. It was amazing! I look forward to more books by this author.
Thank you Netgalley for this copy of Believe Me by JP Delaney. Claire looking for a career in acting arrives from London, time for a fresh start. After having been blackballed in London, she has no breaks here in the USA.  No green card down on her luck, she begins to work for divorce lawyers, catching errant husbands looking for some fun on the side. Turns into a page turner, typical for JP Delaney! Worth the read.
Wow!! Wow!! This book... I absolutely loved this book.. I was not disappointed at all, from the second I started reading this book, it sucked me in like magnet.. Claire and Patrick's relationship was something else, the twists and turns. Stuff that I didn't see happening.
This book is a must read, very addictive, and a absolute thrill ride of a lifetime. You will not forget this book.
Claire is a struggling actress. Desperate, she takes a job as a decoy to catch cheating husbands, with her, on tape for divorce lawyers. Then, a wife of a target ends up murdered and Claire is being asked to get a confession for the murder. Can she handle it?
This is and entertaining psychological thriller with great twists and turns!

Thank you to Netgally for a copy of this ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Good, lots of plot twists I didn't see coming.  I was hooked from the first page and would recommend for fans of Gone Girl and Girl on a Train.  Looking forward to more titles from JP Delaney!
Ugh. I don’t know how to rate this because the first half was great, then it got boring but then the ending was crazy yet implausible. Actually the whole thing was soooo implausible but i really liked the first half so I’m going with 3 stars.
I loved the authors first novel, and was super excited for this one but it fell very flat. Things were a bit too predictable and it didn't have the same dreading atmosphere the first book had.
wow! what an amazing read! tons of twists and turns and full of suspense. held my attention right from the first page to the last page. just when I think I have figured out what is going to happen I am proved wrong. can't wait for more from this amazing author!
Believe Me by JP Delaney

JP Delaney did an outstanding job with his latest novel Believe Me. I was hooked from the first page and could not put it down.
Claire is a struggling actress trying to make it big in New York. Without a Green Card, she has trouble get and keeping jobs. She works for a divorce firm, who hires her to be a decoy to catch cheating husbands. When the wife of a targets is brutuelly murdered, Claire finds herself in the middle of a murder investigation.
I don't want to give too much away because, believe me, you want to be surprised in all the right places. It's a psychological thriller that kept me guessing til the end.
WOW, lot's of twist's and turn's in this one...what a great read I will definitely be reading more from this author.
Waited to long to get my copy on Netgalley, but ended up listening to the audiobook. Really enjoyed! Very fun, twisty story that does the genre justice!
If you like page-turners with lots of twists and even French poetry, then Believe Me is a book you don't want to miss.  It is the story of Claire Wright, an expat British actress who is trying to live under the radar in New York City without a green card while studying acting, which for her, is a sort of escape from her troubled past.  As she is studying acting and not actually getting any roles, money is an issue for her, and she finds an intriguing, yet sort of sketchy way to earn a living.   Claire will do almost anything for money, and when her side job results in a murder, her life gets very interesting.  Throw in a professor who is a translator and expert on the poetry of Charles Baudelaire and this book becomes almost impossible to put down.

Claire is quite a complex character and Believe Me has several "wow, I didn't see that coming" moments which thoroughly engaged me as a reader.  The sub-story of Charles Baudelaire was enlightening and gave me a thoroughly different picture of him than the one I studied in high school and college French classes.  And even though I thought I knew where this book was headed, I ended up being completely surprised by the ending.   I would definitely recommend this book and know you won't be sorry you picked it up.
Claire is an actress trying to make a living, so she has a side gig where she helps a private investigator “catch” cheating husbands. (She’s the bait) Turns out that one of the husbands doesn’t fall for her trap; however, his suspicious wife is killed the same night as as the “trap”. Claire becomes involved in the investigation (to put it mildly) and then the book turns CRAZY. I kept picturing Claire Danes in the role of “Claire” when I cast the movie in my head. I mean, have you seen Homeland?? This book was really good and hard to put down once I got rolling. Thanks to NetGalley for the advanced copy!