Cover Image: Believe Me

Believe Me

Claire Wright is the pure definition of a struggling actress.  She is making ends meet by working for a legal firm luring husbands into compromising situations for their wives' lawyers.  Then Claire meets the one man who does not fall for her trap, Patrick Folger.  He just feels different to Claire.  But when his wife shows up murdered the same night that Patrick did not fall for her trap, it is clear that there is more going on here than just a messy divorce.  The police enlist Claire's help to flesh out the truth.  And overnight, Claire has landed the role of a lifetime.  Will she be able to make it through this production without blurring the lines between reality and fantasy?

Believe Me was an absolute roller coaster of a ride.  It explored a poet that I knew nothing about, Charles Baudelaire. Someone referred to as the "Godfather of Goths." It sent me to "the Google" faster than any book that I have read recently.  Claire comes across as a little immature and annoying.  But then when she starts to fall for Patrick, it became very clear that she was not prepared for how deep this was going to go. For a while there, I thought that maybe Patrick was the upstanding guy that Claire thought he was. But then it became very clear that Claire was not a reliable narrator.  I was absolutely surprised by the big reveal at the end. CLICK HERE FOR SPOILERS. It is not often that a book can surprise me with the big reveal. Believe Me did just that.

Bottom Line - Believe Me is dark, edgy, and explores a twisted world that is unknown to most of us. It makes an absolutely fantastic thriller to read when you have a spare moment.  Or are quarantined like most of the country.

Details:
Believe Me by JP Delaney
Pages: 352
Publisher: Ballantine Books
Publication Date: 7/24/2018
Buy it Here!
Thank you to NetGalley for the book in exchange for a review.
Well this one was very interesting !!

I enjoyed the refreshing take of something you dont come along everyday. The audio was brilliant!so very enjoyable.

But there were a few parts that were just to unrealistic to be believable.I have read a few reviews that said they didnt get certain parts of the story and I too have to agree and why it wasnt a 4 star read or even close to being a 5 Of course I wont address them here because I hate spoilers so I wont spoil it for anyone else.
It was similar to the previous book in terms of pace and tension. Not wildly compelling but entertaining.
Occasionally I start a book and don’t like anything about it.  Believe Me is one of those.  I didn’t like the characters; I didn’t like the premise of the book; I didn’t like the story line; I didn’t like the scenarios.  Although J P Delaney is a good writer and can tell a story, this story isn’t one I could get into or finish. The protagonist has no morals and it’s hard to like someone who is so disgusting. This book is one that I would not recommend because I can’t find one reason to like anything it.

Special thanks to NetGalley for supplying a copy of this novel.
Thank you Netgalley and Random House Publishing for an ARC in exchange for an honest review. Believe Me when I say this book is NOT believable. I had high hopes for this- the premise really intrigued me. A struggling actress making side cash by getting skeezy married men to go for her (all being recorded on camera) in order for the spouse (and the lawyer that hired her) to win in the divorce. Things get weird and someone ends up dead and that's where the book loses me. Everything that transpires just simply is not believable and you are left scratching your head about what you just read. This book is categorized as a psychological thriller- and psychological it sure was- I could not guess the true murderer. Seriously, for the whole novel any of the characters could have taken the blame and I would have believed it.
I don't know what to think of this. I give it a few stars because I did devour the book in matter of a couple of days, but this could have gone in a different direction and have turned out a much better book.
This was an enjoyable read and quite twisty but I found myself wanting more from this book. The characters were well developed.
Claire is a young Londoner in New York to pursue her acting dreams.  In order for her to be able to afford her classes though, she sometimes does some “off the books” work with a law firm’s private detective, catching cheating husbands on video for those wives who are in doubt about their spouse’s faithfulness.  One night Claire gets called to meet with the wife before her meeting with the suspected husband, and although it’s a bit strange, Claire goes along with the plan.  The next day, that same wife is found murdered….and this is where the story just falls apart, at least for me.  Lots of leads in this mystery that go nowhere, lots of scenarios where Claire suspects just about everyone, and lots of questionable leaps in the overall storyline.  I was not a fan of this one.

Special Note:  Thank you to the publisher and to NetGalley for allowing me to read this book in exchange for an honest review.
I loved the author's previous work, The Girl Before, and was hoping this one would be just as good.  I enjoyed this book and would recommend it.

Having a career as an actor in America is a second chance for Claire, after leaving England.  Not having a green card leaves her limited for jobs she can accept.  Claire works side jobs for an attorney, catching (or, setting them up) cheating husbands.  When one of the wives she was helping is found murdered, the police enlist Claire and her acting abilities to help catch the husband, whom they suspect is the murderer.

While I wondered how realistic the premise was (why would the police hire Claire?), I liked Claire as a character.  She had depth, emotions, and faults, and I had a hard time putting this down.  If you can suspend reality over the premise and enjoy a good page-turning thriller, you'll enjoy this one, as well.
was unable to read because of a family loss. I am a serious reader though and would love to be considered for more netgalley ARCs. I will review every one that I am allowed to.
Marla
Thank you to NetGalley for an Advanced Reader Copy of this book! It was definitely different from the other books I’ve read. I had to stay up some nights reading to find out more. The book took some turns that I did not see coming! In the end I’m happy I read it. I will be going back to read the other books by this author! Thank you again to NetGalley!!
Unique. That is the first word that comes to mind when describing this book. The story is from Claire's perspective, a wannabe actress. Like most wannabe actresses, she's living paycheck to paycheck trying to make ends meet doing random jobs...like baiting men whose wives suspect cheating. One day the police seek her help baiting a suspected serial killer, and well...you gotta read the book to find out the rest.

What's particularly unique about the story is the dialogue format, written in a screenplay style, which suits Claire's character as an actress. While at first it felt a little disjointed, I quickly got used to it and slipped right into the story. If you're looking for something a little different that is equally engaging, Delaney offers it here.
This book just tried too hard. It was complicated and convoluted without any reason to be. I felt like the author was purposely trying to confuse the reader. Interesting premise, but the execution wasn't there.
Claire was a fascinating character, and while the story did not initially grip me, once I was hooked I finished the majority of this book in one burst of reading! This dark and twisty tale has been on my recommendation lists since I read that last scene.
The amazingly talented JP Delaney did not disappoint! This book checks all the boxes: unique characters, intriguing mystery, and plenty of twists and turns. I want more! And now I can't wait for her next book!
Having read and loved both The Perfect Wife and The Girl Before, I kind of knew what to expect with this one.  Lots of twists and turns that leave you completely clueless as to what is really going on and what will happen next.  This book was slightly different than the others due to content/plot but still a great read.  I would suggest checking out one of the above mentioned books prior to reading this one so you know what to expect and aren’t turned off by the directions the author goes in.  Not my favorite by this author but still a good book.
I seriously was not disappointed when I read this book. I loved it so much. I can’t wait to read more by this author.
Claire Wright is young British actress. But she's struggling in New York City--she's in an acting program, but she has no green card and no job or money. So when she's offered questionable work by a law firm, Claire agrees. She serves as a decoy to trap cheating husbands and catch them on tape. But when one of Claire's clients is violently murdered, the police need a suspect. They seem to be considering her husband, whom Claire saw--in the name the job--just that evening. They want Claire to try to lure him into a confession. Claire is sure she can do this: she's a great actress. But soon she's wondering who the police really suspect.

This one got off to a slow start, but once it picked up, it drew me in. After reading Delaney's recent book, THE PERFECT WIFE, which I really enjoyed, I knew I had to go back and read this one. I'm glad I did. It was just a fun, twisted ride, and an enjoyable quick read.

There's no one to really root for in this tale, but that's okay, because the journey is interesting enough to keep you hooked. Claire is a fascinating character: you're never sure how much to trust her, what's she's telling us, or what she's doing. At first, I found the confusion a little off-putting, but I soon learned to go with it and just enjoy the ride. And what a crazy one it is.

"I want to be other people. I've never wanted anything else."

This is a dark, bewildering read with some great twists and turns. There's a literary aspect with the work of the poet Baudelaire woven throughout. Claire is a focused actress and the whole "decoy" idea is turned on its head several times. I don't want to tell more and ruin anything. Just know that this book kept pleasantly surprising me, and I loved that--even when I thought I had things figured out--I was never sure where things were going.

If you're looking for a crazy, quick thriller that will keep you on your toes, you'll definitely enjoy BELIEVE ME.
I really enjoyed all the twists and turns and unreliable characters. I didn’t trust anyone! This book definitely messed with me and it was hard to tell what was real and what wasn’t. I love that in a book. I liked the psychological profiling as well. I enjoyed this book and it kept me guessing right up to the end!
JP Delaney did an outstanding job with his latest novel Believe Me. I was hooked from the first page and could not put it down.
Claire is a struggling actress trying to make it big in New York. Without a Green Card, she has trouble get and keeping jobs. She works for a divorce firm, who hires her to be a decoy to catch cheating husbands. When the wife of a targets is brutuelly murdered, Claire finds herself in the middle of a murder investigation.
I don't want to give too much away because, believe me, you want to be surprised in all the right places. It's a psychological thriller that kept me guessing til the end.
What a doozy with this one. Lots of twists and turns and it’s definitely a thriller that’ll keep you guessing. The characters were intriguing, complex and interesting. I loved the format in which this book was written (some parts are written like a play). Made it a really unique reading experience. Would definitely recommend to thriller lovers!