The Magician's Curse

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 30 Apr 2018

I really, REALLY loved the writing - it was done beautifully, with a nice pace to the story and good description and inner show of the characters’ thoughts. However, the storyline left it really down!

First of all, the female MC point blank accepts a job offer from a total stranger (the male MC) she meets on the train... because they both feel a ‘connection’...? Whatever that means...

On top of that, she goes with him back to his mansion/estate/whatever (because he’s rich obviously) and meets more strangers (awkward) and that’s where the male MC shows her her room and what she is supposed to do as his ‘assistant’. Weird.

Oh! And let’s not forget this was not the first time the male MC has felt that special ‘connection’... yep, ge’s taken other girls in as his assistant like that.... double weird.

Should I even mention that he has a century-old family curse where he’s doomed into inpregnating the maid of the family? Because that was kinda the point where it made me go, “Ok, nope, sorry, too much.” And had to leave the book 🤷🏻‍♀️

*ARC kindly provided by NetGalley for my honest review*
I liked this book very much. I have been thinking of a way to review without giving too much away. Young girl runs away from home, meets a very handsome, charismatic man who offers her a job which she wants to take.. He recognizes her as his. He is  a famous magician who needs an assistant.  There's a curse from the magician's family.  He needs to procreate to break the curse. Explaining this to his assistant (love) is not easy to do with complications that could cause a rift. I am looking forward to the next book in this series. If you like real magic, magicians, curses and love, you will like this book. I received this book thru Net Galley for a honest review. I was happy too be able to read this book.
This book wasn't really what I expected it to be. Herman Anderson is about to turn eighteen. She is also running away from her sick mother and mostly absent father. While on the train, she meets a complete stranger with whom she immediately falls in love with. Stephen Dagmar, the stranger she meets also finds in his heart that Herman is the one he has been waiting for all his life. Stephen then offers her a job to which she agrees to. They take the train to his mansion where the whole truth unfolds. Stephen comes from a line of true magicians and the male members of his family are cursed. The book is interesting but it all revolves about Stephens need to procreate. To beat the curse, he must impregnate/be unfaithful to the one he loves. It is annoying to think that this whole book revolves around this goal. There is no subtleness in this book. Both the main characters are hopelessly in love with each other and can barely keep their hands off of each other. Not my kind of book.
A magician with special powers struggles with a curse that's been in his family for generations. The main character, an almost 18-year-old girl who falls in love with him, has her own life turned upside down as she navigates his strange world.

It's more romance-heavy than I typically read, but the unveiling of the mysterious magician's story kept me turning the pages. The plot is well-paced and the characters are engaging. The book comes to a satisfying conclusion but also sets up the stage for book two. All in all an enjoyable read.

Thanks to NetGalley and the author for a free copy.
I liked the book, and would read more from this author.