Cover Image: The Witch of Willow Hall

The Witch of Willow Hall

When scandal forces Lydia’s family from the bustling streets of Boston to Willow Hall she cannot find out what she should be or what it means for her or her future.  Willow Hall has a dark past, is  haunted by ghosts, old secrets, and new ones as well.  When tragedy strikes Lydia finds herself embracing the power.  When another shadow of her past returns Lydia has to find her strength to fight for her future.  She is the type of hero I like, her actions are sensible, she is sensible, I never have to question her actions because she makes sense.  Twisty, magical, and interesting.
Once you receive this book, don't make any plans because you won't be able to stop reading until the very last page. This story has everything you ever wanted in a book: mystery, intrigue, romance, and lots of secrets. The main characters are three sisters who are different in every way. One is promiscuous and mean, one is young and sweet, and one holds many secrets. Just how deep does their loyalty to each other lie?  I have already recommended this intriguing story to several people and they were not disappointed.
Hester Fox weaves a suspenseful tale of how a young girl maneuvers family dynamics, personal relationships, and learning about her true self.  1800s Massachusetts sets the stage for scandal, romance, and self-discovery. I enjoyed this book a great deal! At one point I just had to keep reading to find out how it all unfolds! I found myself rooting for some characters, and hoping the villains get what they have coming.

A great Fall read  to get you in the Halloween spirit.
THE WITCH OF WILLOW HALL – Hester Fox

Massachusetts – 1811 and 1821

Lydia Montrose has always known that one of her ancestors was hanged as a witch, but she’s never pursued that story. She is also aware that something she did to the neighborhood bully in Boston when she was a small child has not been spoken of since. Now the family is leaving Boston and retreating to Willow Hall, the house her father built in the tiny hamlet of New Oldbury due to rumors about her older sister. Lydia is about to discover that there is something mysterious and confusing about herself, and possibly other members of her family.

Older sister, Catherine, is a shallow, self-centered beauty who is furious about leaving a bustling city for the backwater of New Oldbury. But there are two men who she can flirt with, while she works to hide a terrible secret that even her family can’t believe. Lydia is usually the brunt of Catherine’s foul temper, but she has learned to avoid confrontations, and, instead, to devote herself to caring for their younger sister, Emaline. For Lydia, the quiet seclusion of their new home comes with strange sights and feelings that she is reluctant to reveal to her parents. Emaline claims to see a little boy at the pond in the woods, while Lydia senses a foreboding presence in the newly built house that her father is so proud of.

The move to New Oldbury hinged on Lydia’s father going into the mill business with a local resident, John Barrett. It is Barrett and new friend, August Pierce, who are targeted by Catherine. Lydia knows that her older sister is desperate to marry and escape the boredom of Willow Hall. But she is stunned to discover why. It was Lydia who was engaged in Boston to a family acquaintance but because of the rumors, the marriage was aborted.

THE WITCH OF WILLOW HALL is a page-turning, mind-blowing tale told by Lydia. Nothing seems to please her older sister, her younger sister is in constant trouble, and Lydia has resigned herself to being an old maid who devotes herself to her parents, her books, and her herb garden. But Willow Hall will not allow Lydia to fade into the woodwork. Something, or someone, has made the Montroses' new home anything but peaceful. And Lydia must discover the hard way, just who she truly is.

Wow! What a fascinating, gripping novel. Beautifully written with amazing characters  and an even more amazing premise, this tale is terrific. I promise readers that THE WITCH OF WILLOW HALL will entertain you from page one.
The Witch Of Willow Hall by Hester Fox will be released October 2nd, 2018 and is an absolute treasure of a novel! This one is definitely my top book pick of the year. There is no doubt that the suspense, mystery, romance, horror, and all the above has earned it a 5 Star Review!

Hester Fox weaved an impeccable story that had strong, vibrant, and palatable characters. I am unsure where authors get such a talent for creating complicated and unique people. The Witch of Willow Hall easily masters this. I fell in love right away with Lydia. This was instant. She is everything I could ask for as a main character. Lydia is smart, morale, and an awesome human being. The girl’s caretaker nature and need to take care of her family is something I can particularly relate with in my own experiences.

The other characters are easy enough to understand and Fox did a terrific job with their personalities and making the reader feel like they have known everyone for years. This book was like finding an old friend. John, who is Lydia’s love interest is just the person you want to see. I know Lydia and John would disagree with me, but they are definition of what a healthy relationship should look like despite all the oddities that arise. I felt happy and good about their pairing up as a couple.

The book is filled with some supernatural occurrences and magic but everything is shrouded in mystery. This left me in utter suspense as more and more became revealed. Honestly, the whole time I was bouncing off my seat anticipating what was going to happen next. The scenes are fast paced and the shock factor never ending. I would have to go back and reread scenes just to make sure I had read them right because the disbelief of what was happening was strong.

There was one scene in particular that made me want to throw my tablet across the room and scream how dare the author do this to me! It made me want to cry. I feel like I shouldn’t say more than this because it would be an epic spoiler and not in a good way. There is just a very emotional and tragic part of the story that just tugged my heart strings because by the time I got to this part. I loved the characters and their pain felt real.

This is a book that everybody needs to pick up. I wish the author would write a sequel. There is more than enough story left to be told. The ending was quite satisfying but I am not going to lie. I want more!
*Thank you Net Galley for the opportunity to read this title in exchange for my honest review.
Ms. Fox's debut novel will be appreciated by readers who enjoyed "Rebecca" and "The Little Stranger", as the gothic/ghost elements take center stage. I felt the story could have used some editing. I appreciated the slow reveal of the Montrose family details, but the romantic interference became redundant and slightly frustrating. The lengthy plot and character development allowed me to figure out what was coming at nearly every reveal. I do look forward to reading more books written by this author.
This story has an interesting premise that is hinted at early in the book and then barely suggested for most of the remainder.   It isn't until the last quarter of the novel that Lydia discovers her heritage and takes over the story.  Up until that time  Catherine, the older sister, is the main focus.  Her scandalous behavior is in danger of ruining her family completely.  Lydia tries to hold things together until it threatens to rip her from the man she loves.
The Witch of Willow Hall is a historical romance that is also a mystery with women and men who are either cunning, loyal, innocent or social pariahs with a twist of horror and magic!

I enjoyed this book so much that I couldn't put it down. It took me one day to read this book. I intended to only read a few chapters then get some sleep. That didn't happen. I finally took a nap and went right back to reading!
I am in shock that this is the author's debut novel. I would have thought she had numberous books already out! She did a wondewonderful job on this book! Well written with the classic speech and dating of yesteryear.
I loved the way the autbor took a real home from that time in New Hampshire and made a fictional story around it. I really hope she makes a sequel so I can find out everyone's lives turned out and if the witchcraft was passed down again and how the rest of the family turned out.

I received
#TheWitchOfWillowHall by:  @HesterBFox as an ARC from  #NetGalley for my honest review. #WTBReviews #WickedlyTwistedBookReviews
WARNING: this book will ruin all other books in your TBR pile! (And I mean that in the most complimentary way.)

I DEVOURED this book. Seriously, I haven't finished anything this quickly in a long time (less than two days). It was absolutely perfect. The gothic overtones, romantic language, and well-paced suspense were enough to keep me up late, frantically trying to figure out what would happen with the handsome Mr. Barrett, or how Catherine's dark secret would be outed. The cryptic warnings, the spooky visitors, Lydia's dormant abilities... everything was just perfect. Definitely the most enjoyable book I've read all year. I can't wait to buy a physical copy!
While I am an avid reader of historical fiction and a sucker for sappy onscreen romance, I don’t often combine the two and read historical romances. Given how much I enjoyed The Witch of Willow Hall, I may have to revise my stance.

The story started a little slowly, but I was stuck on an airplane, so it was easy to stick with it and see what would happen.

And magic happened. All my doubts evaporated and I was a bit saddened when my flight ended and I had to put down this book for a few hours.

I love books about magic and witches and craft, and while witchcraft is a very integral part of the plot, it is not the main focus of the story.

Love of all kinds, but most of all romantic love, is the whole point of the story, and the book is full of strong, detailed, well written characters that make it a page turner. I read plenty of books in which I care about maybe one or two characters, and kind of tolerate the rest, who seem to be there for filler. This was not one of those books. I had complicated feelings about most of the cast, and truly fell for the protagonists.

There is plenty of tension and drama throughout, both of which keep the readers’ interest all the way until the end. I particularly liked that while I had an idea of what I wanted to happen in the end, I couldn’t predict how exactly everything would come together.

I was taken by the narrative voice, and found it to be mostly historically accurate, at least from a layperson’s point of view.

Given that this is Hester Fox’s debut novel, I cannot wait to see what she writes next.

The Witch of Willow Hall is a solid 4.5 stars out of 5.

I was given an ARC of this book by Graydon House in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are mine alone.

Pick up the Witch of Willow Hall on October 2, 2018.

I will be posting this review to my blog and goodreads on September 2nd, and Amazon on the release date.

Thank you for the opportunity to review this book!
*I received an ARC copy from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.*

I started this book expecting nothing.  It completely blew me away.  Really.  I LOVED this book and couldn’t put it down in the two days I read it.  I feel like I’ve been waiting for a book like this for a long time, and it delivered with perfection.

Set in a nineteenth century gothic setting, this story follows Lydia Montrose, who doesn’t know she’s a witch.  Her family flees scandalous rumors in Boston and makes a home in Willow Hall.  Throughout the book, Lydia battles who she is and what she can do, as well as the hauntings at Willow Hall and her relationships with her sisters.  And, of course, there is a beautiful, brooding, Heathcliff-like man (but kinder than Heathcliff) who helps the story along.

First, I love the gothic, creepy setting.  Willow Hall is mysterious with its secrets and beautiful, empty halls.  On the grounds, there is a pond in a forest, weeping willows, and the lingering motif of death.  I love the continuous rain and all the secrecy.  The setting draws you in with its originality and intrigue.  I could read this book just for the setting!

But the characters are even better than the setting.  They are completely original, unique, have depth, and you can’t help but love every single one.  They seem like real people with real thoughts and desires and mannerisms!  It is so refreshing to read.  As a main character, Lydia is completely likable because she is not the special one.  Overshadowed by her flirty and beautiful older sister, Lydia is sensible, smart, and caring, but isn’t very noticeable to others.  However, she is interesting and lively and as a reader, I feel drawn to her.  I also never got frustrated with her, which is big for me, as I often get frustrated with whiny, secret-keeping, big-headed characters.  I just love Lydia.

I also love John Barrett.  I love his brooding, kindness, sensibility, and loyalty.  If you have some attraction for Heathcliff (you can admit it), you will love John.  Always secretive, worrying and serious, but infinitely kind, he is the kind of man a girl could love.  He’s so different from any other Prince Charming character, which adds to his charm and makes him fascinating.  And I’ll admit, he’s officially my new book crush.

I love all the other characters too: Lydia’s sisters, Ada and Joe, the townspeople, and others (not of this world).  As I mentioned before, they all have depth and desires driving their actions, even the smallest of characters.  I also love the reality of Lydia’s relationship with her sisters, good and bad.  It drives the story and gives it relatability and tension.

Hester Fox is a brilliant writer.  Never were there cliches, as many nineteenth-century historical fictions thrive on.  Her writing is fresh, clever, entertaining, and clear.  This gothic mystery mixed with a bit of romance and horror is unlike anything I’ve read, and I am so thrilled to have read this book.  I know, without a doubt, I will be rereading this.

Writing Aesthetic/Style: 5
Plot/Movement: 5
Character Development: 5
Overall: 5

Would I recommend?  YES, for all those who love mystery, tension, romance, magic, and lovely writing.
"The Witch of Willow Hall" was a satisfying tale of mystery, witchcraft, romance, and creepiness! This historical fiction book centers on Lydia, a witch through her mother's ancestry, and her desire to keep her family together regardless of her own happiness. Her family frustrated me to no end but it just make the story that much better. Enter Mr. Barrett, the handsome business partner and neighbor, and the story had everything I love about a good book! Recommended for historical fiction, Salem witch, romance, and mystery enthusiasts.
The was not enough history to keep me interested as the storyline got more and more "Flowers in the Attic".
A New England gothic romance for your fall line up. A little spooky. Thought the ending was a little predictable but there were two plot points I did not see coming. 3.5 stars from me. Really enjoyed the little mentions of Boston aspects like Acorn St.

Oddly one thing that made me pick this was I also really liked this author’s name?
I really enjoyed this book. It was dark, gothic, suspenseful, haunting and well written. There were more ghosts than witchcraft, and lots of secrets with a Jane Austin style. I loved John Barrett and I liked seeing Lydia grow more confident and outspoken.
Advanced reader copy courtesy of the publishers at NetGalley for review.
Well, I loved The Witch of Willow Hall. However, I feel a tad misled by the description as I was expecting much more witchcraft. There were definitely aspects of witchcraft throughout the novel but I really didn't feel like anything substantial happened along those lines until I was over 50% done with the book. Honestly, upon finishing I felt as if this was more of a novel about Lydia's coming of age and a very delicious romance. I love, LOVED the romance. It was very swoony and fun. Though this is a standalone I would certainly welcome a second book delving more into her path learning how to use the power in her bloodline.

The characters were very fleshed out and sympathetic and their relationships were well done. The drama between the two sisters was especially heart-wrenching and believable. I loved the atmosphere in the dark woods and creaky house and found it just Gothic enough for my tastes.

Overall, The Witch of Willow Hall wasn't exactly what I was expecting, but I loved it and could not put it down. Recommended.
What a great debut novel. The plot was spellbinding and the characters well drawn. The author has done her research on the Salem Witch trials. I read this in one day as the twists and turns kept me riveted. This is a fine Gothic romance and mystery with an underlying theme of loyalty and family.
This book Is for anyone who loves a good haunting romance.. It beautifully combines passion, suspense, and a mild dose of fright to create a very readable gothic tale.. Filled with family secrets, incest, human tragedy, and witchcraft, the novel does not disappoint. It may lead the reader to a predicted ending, but it is an ending one wants to see happen.
First of all, I loved the cover of the book, it's gorgeous! I love the subject matter! I found the story and the plot incredibly compelling and fast paced.
The  wealthy Montrose family were driven from Boston by vicious rumors about their children. Father left his lucrative business in Boston and decided to build a textile mill along the river in New Oldbury. So he bought a piece of property from John Bartlett and built a large home named Willow Hall. He, his wife and three daughters, Catherine, Emeline and Lydia moved into the house with two servants

They soon met John Barrett, their next door neighbor and Father’s partner. John and his visitor, August Pierce were invited to dine the Montrose family. Soon August was smitten with the beautiful Catherine and she was pushing  for a marriage proposal.

Then 8 year old Emeline had an angry outburst during a visit from John and escaped from her bedroom to go to the nearby pond. By the time Lydia found her in the pond, Emeline was dead. Mother, a frail person, took the death badly and spent most of her time locked in her room. Catherine was still looking for a proposal from August when he was called back to Boston by his ill mother. While he was gone, Catherine confided a secret to Lydia about the reason for the quick marriage.

August did not return from Boston but sent a letter to Catherine instead. It seems that his wealthy mother had heard the rumors about the Montrose family and threatened to stop supporting him if he married one of their daughters.

Lydia, the quiet daughter, then learned about her mother’s family heritage. It seems that Mother was descended from a family of witches. An ancestor had been hung at Salem during the infamous witch trials. The power could only be passed to  females in Mother’s family. Lydia and her dead sister Emeline had the power but neither Catherine nor Mother had inherited it. Lydia’s long dead Salem ancestor, Mary Preston, appeared to her and told of the powers Lydia possessed. Lydia then pressed her mother who explained everything to her.

Around the same time Cyrus, Lydia’s fiancé who broke the engagement when the scandal broke in Boston, turned up in New Oldbury to court Lydia once again. He had lost a lot of money and hoped that a marriage into the wealthy Montrose family would solve his financial troubles. However Lydia and John had become attracted to each other and she was no longer interested in Cyrus.

As this story continues, Lydia must decide how to use the powers of her ancestors for good and not evil.

This is a historical fiction that explores life in New England after the War of 1812. Textile mills are springing up along the rivers of Western Massachusetts and there is resistance from the farmers whose land bordered the rivers.