Failsafe

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

We live in a time when it's increasingly hard to find new sci-fi ideas, or new ways to explore old ones. But this book does a good job of the latter.

The setting is post-apocalyptic, though (as usual) we don't immediately know what cause the end. But - as always - there's a brilliant, but flawed hero(ine) who fights to do good for her people. Sound like the normal trope?

Hold on. To this world we add a digital overlay - a network intelligence that appears to control the presented world. And it isn't apparently very friendly. And, our hero can leverage the network in ways others can't. NOW we have an interesting book.

Plus, we have girl meets boy; boy turns out...

See Full Review
This book easily towed me in, and left me wanting more of the story. Inclusiveness is a thing with YA nowadays, and Anela Deen is one of the people who did it well in my opinion. Sol's epilepsy certainly has influence - on her choices and chances before, and on what she and Echo are going to do - but she does not let herself be stopped by it.

WOW. Just hats off on this one. I freaking LOVE and adore this book. I am so thankful that I got to read it. Sol and Echo's relationship feel organic, natural and funny. The world building is great, and you at several times in the novel feel the pressure Sol and Echo goes through. The pages turn so freaking fast in this novel and it's a good and fast read (I am supposed to be in bed, but I just couldn't put this one down!)

I started laughing, I got a bit teary eyed and most importantly for me: this mission felt like something that you'd really want to work on if you were Sol.

However, I do have a few things I'm like "I'd like to read more about...

See Full Review

Another great synopsis that can’t hold the weight of the actual source material.

“Failsafe” takes place in a dystopian future where the human population is on its last leg thanks to technology called The Interspace, once created to be a tool now controls everything with deadly force and the only way to stop it is to upload the codes granted to the failsafe, a quiet and slightly robotic man named Echo with the help of Sol, a survivor living in the settlements with the gift of seeing the mechanics of the killer drones and holds the key to getting Echo where he needs to go and shutting down the machine once and for all.

There’s a lot going on here and one of my biggest critiques is the...

See Full Review

I’m not gonna lie, I was mesmerized by this book from the first page. I’m a sucker for dystopian novel plots. The world building was great, I felt like I was in the Matrix for a little bit. I love how the author made the main character so strong and defiant. Especially in a world where no one has ever felt the air or seen a sunset. She asked questions when no one else did.

Our main character is named Soleil. Sol for short. She is almost 18 years old and lives in one of 12 settlements that are still on earth. Apparently there are only about forty thousand humans left after a ambiguous event they called the End War. It seems that the “machines took over”. I thought of the Terminator while I...