Cover Image: The Shadowglass

The Shadowglass

When you know how something is going to end, you’d think you’d be prepared for it. Yet, The Shadowglass by Rin Chupeco still devastated me on numerous occasions. As the finale of The Bone Witch trilogy, Shadowglass finally has Tea’s past join the present and it broke my heart in the best and worst ways. Each character’s arc unfolds beautifully, loose ends are tied, and we finally understand what led to Tea’s downfall and exile.

There’s so much I want to say, but there’s so much I don’t want to spoil, which is saying a lot considering the way the Bone Witch trilogy has been told. Using alternating chapters of the past and the present is tricky because you know how the past turns out since we’re also in the present, yet Chupeco is so skilled at what she does that never once did I feel as though anything was predictable. Even knowing, spoilers for book 1 in the series, that Kalen was going to die because of Tea, I was still shocked and devastated when it happened. It struck me through and through, and boy, I cried and cried and cried until my head hurt as much as my heart did.

Characters drive the plot, and do so while beautifully filling out their arcs. They feel so fully fleshed, even when they’re a support. It’s easy to feel that Chupeco, should we ask it of her, could spin a yarn for each character — from the Bard to Daisy herself. We see the greatest secondary character growth from Likh, who comes to terms with their identity, who they are, and who they want to be. Having an LGBTQIA2+, and seeing their struggle to voice what they want out of fear of being ridiculed or told they were impossible or wrong feels so validating. Having Chupeco take the time to put so much time into developing Likh meant a lot to myself, and I’m sure others who can identify. Khalad’s development, while not as pronounced as Likh’s, is truly the strongest of the secondary characters to which I even consider his development as the catalyst for the entire series. It’s amazing how Chupeco can have secondary and tertiary characters drive the plot forward alongside primary characters.

The ending felt deserved and you can tell Chupeco took time into ensuring it went smoothly. There was no sense of it being rushed or of any deus ex machina coming in to save the day. Indeed, she tells readers exactly what will happen early in the trilogy, reminds you throughout, and yet, when it comes down to it, it’s still a surprise that steals your breath away. The secondary ending, however, is cheeky and one I very much appreciate because it is ambiguous. Knowing I can choose how to interpret the fates of Tea and Kalen gives me life because while I want to know definitively, I’m happy imagining my own happily ever after.

The Shadowglass by Rin Chupeco beautifully closes the Bone Witch trilogy. Full of emotion, impact, and growth, it is a worthy pay off to end a series full of heart and creativity.
The Shadowglass is a gorgeous conclusion to Chupeco's deliciously dark trilogy. Whether you're reading for the romance, the many shades of morally gray Tea continues to wade into, or just for the Chupeco's always poetic prose, you will not be disappointed.
At first, I thought that this trilogy would not be for me, but then I picked up Heart Forger and found redeeming qualities that made me enjoy it. This action packed, fantasy trilogy involves slow burn romances, epic betrayals, and otherworldly magic that all combine to make this a story of major proportions. Tea is an intellectual, caring, and strong MC that is also diverse. I cannot get over the cover designs or the well crafted stories that Rin Chupeco has made.
IMHO: THE SHADOWGLASS
I loved The Bone Witch from the very beginning. Read my review of book one, The Bone Witch, and book two, The Heart Forger.

If you haven’t started the series, binge it now. If you’re on the fence, I hope this spurs you to action.

I need more people talking about this series. It deserves far more hype! I honestly love it more than Shadow & Bone. More than Daughter of Smoke & Bone.

This ends the series spoiler free section. Pass this point only those who’ve read the first two books should read through!

Now that all the losers are gone (lol jk), OMFG ya’ll this is it! We find it allllllll out. Tea rides to battle against her enemies and oppressors. Tea spills blood and the tea. (sorry I had to).

White dude slams ice tea jugs on the grocery store floor and fake falls into them, splayed out.

We find out the truth behind their creation story. We find out how Kance died and Tea raised his silver glass from the dead. What split Fox and Tea. What is the end game. Everything about the Bard.

Shadowglass…

…brilliantly weaves dual past & present as always, but this time it culminates in a breathless twinning of the cataclysmic fight and the final battle.

…Juggles a large cast with conflicting goals and knowledge, while keeping everyone, especially us readers, guessing.

…does justice to the epic love story between Tea and Fox, and Tea and Kalen.

…brings closure with King Kance.

…travels everywhere!! I love Yadoshans in Thanh and the Gorvekai for totally opposite reasons but they both treat Likh well.

…unfortunately ends, but it is beautiful and fitting ending.

FAV. NONSPOILER QUOTES FROM SHADOWGLASS:
Shadowglass quote pic 1

“I am sorry about many things, but I am not sorry about this.”

A life worth dying for is a life worth living.

“Tradition isn’t always honorable. If it was, then you’d have been an asha for years, without opposition.”

Guilt feels heavier on good men’s shoulders.”

“And if anyone here so much as touches a hair on his adorable head, I shall pull out their beating hearts and force them to consume every last vein,” I added cheerfully.

Shadowglass quote pic 2
My body, heart and soul were not ready for the final book.
I procrastinated reading The Shadow Glass because this is the end. The End. THE END.

It’s a week after finishing the last book in The Bone Witch trilogy and mere hours before this review is going live and I’m sitting here going: OH. MY. GOD. What are words even? Can I come back when my tears are refreshed and ready to cry internally again (because I can’t actually cry when reading for some reason)? Will my review even give justice???

I adore the characters SO MUCH.
Back when I first read The Bone Witch, I had so much difficulty getting through the first book because it’s filled with descriptions and world-building, which made the book go by slowly. However, I loved the concept and the characters, so I sucked it up and continued. But when I read The Heart Forger last year, I got completely invested in the characters Chupeco created and fell in love with all of them.

Tea, Kalen, Fox, Inessa, Likh, Khalad – these are only a few of the characters that make up the trilogy. I adore the entire cast Chupeco introduces to us from the first book and brought over through the rest of the trilogy as well. I love their dynamics with each other, the relationships they’ve developed and their interactions. In particular, I truly appreciated how everyone accepted Likh’s transition as she discovered more about herself and who she truly is. I also enjoyed reading their sassy and snarky remarks as Tea continues on her journey to get a shadow glass in order to save the one she loves, even if it will potentially kill her.

Everything comes together in The Shadow Glass.
I had so many questions after reading The Heart Forger! (Mainly, will my precious beans survive???) I am so happy Chupeco answers all of those questions in The Shadow Glass. Much like the second book’s format, the story is told in two timelines eventually coming together at the end. One timeline is in the Bard’s perspective when Tea is older while the other is Tea telling her past. This format can get confusing and overwhelming with so much going on, but it is easily rectified by the end.

Side Note: I read The Shadow Glass at midnight and half of my brain is asleep, so um, that probably explains me being confused and overwhelmed. Sleepy Sophia does not equate to understanding Sophia.

What a beautiful ending.
I am still a bit speechless, but The Shadow Glass is simply beautiful and marvelous. (I even wrote a coherent review!) I’m grateful for getting to know each of the characters and reading their journey, although I’ll miss them greatly. I encourage everyone to give The Bone Witch trilogy a try – the slow beginning and all the information are well worth it.
“To be perfect without suffering means no change. If you know neither hurt nor hardship, then you will not know the strength they can summon within a person. What’s life’s meaning if you cannot distinguish between happiness and sorrow?”

I love this series so much because it’s dark and complicated. With a protagonist who toes the line of good and bad. It’s her motivations for her actions that are really the heart of her and the story.

The magic system is fantastic, which follows suit with the other books. We get to see more of the story of magic origins as well and travel to more areas. I have felt the world building in phenomenal in this series. I’ve never been confused by locations or by how the magic system works.

I loved the Bard. Especially his dedication to telling Tea’s story in the purist form. I also love how he mentions multiple times about not reading the end pages of her letters, not wanting to skip to the end of the story before knowing the full thing. Like he’s emploring you as the reader to do the same and to hear Tea completely out. At some point in the story I realized I couldn’t remember the Bard’s real name. Which makes me laugh because this does come into play as things progress.

Oh Tea, you complicated Asha you. I love her even at her darkest moments because she’s such a complex well written character. We see her unfold through both her eyes and the Bard’s eyes. Which gives us multiple perspectives to her actions. It also shows us how much we can see things differently depending on where we are at in a situation. Tea struggles so much in so many ways but her core has always remained constant. Her character develops in a way that it is fitting.

I think out of all the books, this is the book I feel I know Kalen the best. It’s through his love for Tea that you see how truly strong he is. I loved their relationship from start to finish and to see how they grow as a couple. They are stronger when they are together and they have so much faith in eachother. I of course really enjoyed their time Yadosha.

There are many strong side characters as well. Likh and her story as she finds strength in being who she truly is. Khalad in finding love and his steady calm. Of course Fox, who is such a huge part of Tea and Tea is a huge part of him. Plus all the Asha.

The plot is great. I continued to enjoy that the telling of the past and the present at the same time. As they finally meet up together at the end. Plus that ending! Absolutely perfect for the story. The Shadow Glass is definitely my favorite book in the series. If you are like me and drawn to a dark story with complex characters and of course the murder/betrayal that comes along with it but manages to have that shining light fueled by love. Well this is the story for you.
It started and ends in death. Rin Chupeco offers the conclusion to the riveting tale of  Lady Tea of the Embers in the final book to her The Bone Witch Trilogy dubbed The Shadow Glass. Stakes are high as Tea hits a standstill as she is thrown in a swirling shroud of politicking, lies, and betrayal. In her quest to achieve shadowglass, fueled by her duty to protect the ones she love, her heartglass threatens to consume her as it is soaked darker while truths unfold before her.

…and in gaining, she might just lose everything in the end.

I am quite unsure how to lay out this review. I just realised I have only been reviewing standalones or the beginning of a series and I am not sure if there are conventions I might skip for sequel reviews. I will say though that this is one of the better fantasy series I have read in a while and, I daresay, rivaling that of Bardugo’s Grishaverse and even Schwab’s Londons.

One of this novel’s strongest suit is in it’s world-building. Chupeco might just be another connoisseur in this territory. The world of The Bone Witch is not just a teeming melting pot but an overflowing salad-bowl — commanding as a whole while its meticulously crafted parts stand out on their own. This topography is not only steeped in magic but also of lush and grim histories enticing the reader to dive for more.

This world is also multi-culturally layered with every kingdom boasting their own birthright. Chupeco pampers all senses as the reader is better acquainted in the landscape, political systems, and traditions. I marveled at the attention to detail done here down to the clothing, food, and nuances. I also appreciate the Middle-Eastern themes folded in these pages. The monsters in the guise of the daevas I believe are derived from Middle Persian texts of Zoroastrian tradition, lore, and liturgy. Although heavily inspired, Chupeco takes on these spool of threads and has woven her own landscape of monstrosities and engrossing tales, rightfully flawed and realistic, she should be proud to call her own.

The Shadow Glass is told in the same alternating perspectives of past and present. I had my reservations when I learned this is the case and thought it would ruin the mystery when the reader is already presented with what is to come. I was proven otherwise. Rin Chupeco masterfully used this technique as she ties all loose ends and all made sense in the final curtain. She is an expert in chapter breaks as she carefully chose when to hold back, goading the reader to lust for the next scenes. If there is a miscreant criticism, not that it is bad, would be that I felt tired as the plot kept building up with no fear, crescendo-ing as we reach the end. Chupeco is an asha in her own right weaving powerful compulsion runes driving the reader mad at flipping pages as if in a race.

“To be perfect without suffering means no change. If you know neither hurt nor hardship, then you will not know the strength they can summon within a person. What is life’s meaning if you cannot distinguish between happiness and sorrow?”

Another success to add to this series’ laurels would be the character development. All the keyplayers we have followed in the first two installments have grown so much in this. We have explored both platonic and romantic relationships among friends, siblings, and partner. Tea and Fox’s relationship is one I am happy with here. If there is another thing I am most grateful for, it would be in this book’s diversity. We have Zoya-Shadi and Khalad-Likh ships which sailed to the moon. It has given us #LGBTQIAplus representation needed in fantasy and it was laid out in ways true to the challenges we face in the real world. In this, I come to celebrate with a toast!

This book also pointed out that things we don’t understand or those that don’t conform to the norms can get a fair share of defiance. Tea being a Dark Asha has sampled most of these poisons and she has grown to be formidable despite her crumbling fortresses. In the case of Likh, I am thankful that we were not allowed immediate acceptance but were eased into her struggles in the very center of her predicaments. This let us glean the importance of all that is of value despite a bit of levity in some areas.

“Maddening, isn’t it? The bonds that tie us together are the same bonds preventing us from what we would sacrifice for ourselves.”

In the end, this book devastated me. I thought knowing what’s to come has prepared me for the worse but it ripped me still. There is an obscene, inconsolable melancholy this tale brings that tramples on any defense — breaking down barriers however well-built. Like Lady Tea of the Embers, my shattered heart is a sacrifice I am willing to deliver as I endeavor to reread this story.

I highly recommend this series and if you are not yet picking it up, I will be the bard singing it’s praises for all to hear!

*********************
I was provided an eARC by Sourcebooks Fire in exchange for an honest review. Ideas and opinions in this review are all mine and are not influenced by neither publisher nor author. I would also like to thank Myrth of Cliste Bella for hosting this blog tour.
Thank you SourcebooksFire and Rin Chupeco for the ARC in exchange for an honest review and Myrth of Cliste Bella for hosting the PH Blog Tour!

A bittersweet but a stellar conclusion for The Bone Witch trilogy.

The last leg on Tea’s journey rendered me speechless. Though I anticipated what’s coming for her, I sobbed like a baby. It was heart-wrenching especially Tea shared a strong bond with everyone. You can’t help rooting for her throughout the book.

This finale is both character & plot driven. Ms. Chupeco was consistent building up these aspects. We get to hear more history about the Seven Kingdoms and other revelations that’s key to Tea’s mission. They are fascinating and intricately written. I have this gut feeling about the betrayal of this person and I was right all along (that brings me joy..I KNEW IT). The secondary characters, they played important parts in Tea’s journey and none of them feel left out. From Lady Shadi and Lady Zoya, to Likh and Khalad. Wow. I love this diverse set of characters.

Tea’s relationship with this guy (purposely leaving it out because it’s a spoiler) was romantic. Wow. These lovebirds went through a lot and they pushed each others button. My god, they wrecked me as well. It was pure and eternal. The ending was sad yet so beautiful and satisfying. It was wonderfully wrapped up and this is one of the best fantasy series as each book becomes better. It may be a slow beginning but it’s worth it. If you love fantasy novels, you should pick this up.
Disclaimer: The publisher has given me a copy of the book through the PH Blog Tour hosted by Myrth from Cliste Bella in exchange for an honest review. Thank you Myrth for making me a part of this wonderful tour.

♥

Rin Chupeco is a master of her art. Her prowess with foreshadowing, world-building, and character creation is on par with brilliant and famous authors that we know of! I cannot even comprehend why she isn’t as famous as them.

In this last installment of the series, we are driven to madness and utter heartbreak. The writing style is closely similar to the first two books, only know it is more confusing with the closely resembling war that is happening in the past and present point-of-views. Although I am saying that it was confusing, it only gets better. This confusion will cause you to focus so much more on the story that you will easily get transported into the world of the Asha. Chupeco’s pacing is so fluid and well thought of that I am stunned with her brilliance.

The characters are fantastic. I cannot seem to not root for Tea with all the struggles, deception, and sacrifices she made. And let me tell you another thing, this book is full of scandal that I can only tell if you are willing to get spoiled. It is mesmerizing how Chupeco made her twists and turns and how she developed each character the way they are.

Moreover, I don’t do this very often, the world-building is just so wonderful. The culture each of the seven kingdoms has, their ethnic backgrounds, just WOW! I cannot ask for more!

Overall, The Shadow Glass is a wonderful book that will make you bawl despite the knowledge of what the future holds. It is about the sacrifices you are willing to make in order to protect the ones you love.
So much love for this trilogy! THIS IS THE BEST WAY A TRILOGY CAN END. Guys, the feels are still fresh and I hope I get to give this wonderful justice in this review. I can’t express enough how awesome this book made me feel. Well, it actually made me feel a lot of things but I sweaaaar. It was too good.

This book was pretty consistent because I started and ended it with tears in my eyes.

Characters
Greatest character development in a book I’ve read! You’ll actually think that this was set years after The Heart Forger ended because they all seem to have matured. I mean, “Okay, this is the last book. Let’s get serious and do business.” The Shadow Glass would surely make you get to know the characters more and discover a thing or two about them that you have never actually thought of before.

I’m so proud of Tea. She was just discovering the ways of an asha in The Bone Witch and now she had grown to be a powerful woman. Tbh, I actually thought she’s on her early 20s but I’m quite shocked to discover that she’s only 17! Not yet of legal age but had done so much more for the eight kingdoms! She’s also gotten so wise and even fiercer! I’ve talked about how two sides of Tea was shown in my review of the second book and that “sides” were explored more in this book.

Tea is a powerful and a bad-ass lady. I’m actually a bit confused if I’m going to label her as a female heroine or anti-heroine (because most people in the kingdoms actually see her as one). Nonetheless, I admire how she’s so driven and motivated to achieve her goals. She’s so tough that she continues to fight even after encountering lots of challenges in her way.

She’s also loving and truly cares for her family and friends. I think this is the best side of Tea because her love for them actually fueled her to strive more and to become a powerful wielder of magic. I can actually go and talk for a day or two about how wonderful Tea is.

I also can’t stop thinking about Likh. Because of the trilogy introducing its world’s traditions, young men like him with a silver heartsglass are sought to join the Deathseekers but he/she wants to be an asha. Likh has the heart of one. The Bone Witch was the start of them actually breaking the norms and fighting for Likh’s cause. The Heart Forger is the start of Likh being an asha and finally in this book, she’d come to terms on who she wants to be. Likh is finally called a lady asha. It made my heart happy, seeing how Rin have written all about Likh’s journey too.

I want to talk more about the other characters but I know I shouldn’t to avoid spoilers. Because I swear once I talk about my other favorite, hell would break loose and I’ll just pour out every feeling I have for each of them. Rest assured though that each character was wonderfully crafted with their own strengths and weaknesses. As far as them sounding perfect, they’re actually not. Their flaws make them more realistic, more human. By reading the previous book, you’ll think you know everything about them but you’ll still end up surprised and discovering something new about them. The Shadow Glass did not fail to show how they’re all connected and the freaking roles they played at the end.

Setting & World-building
I’ll never get tired of saying that the best feature of this trilogy is the majestic world-building! We’ve been introduced to the asha, the eight kingdoms and its culture and tradition ever since the first book. There’s still a lot to learn though. And the good thing with this book being the end (wait, it’s not really a good thing because I don’t want to say goodbye to them!!!) is every question was answered. Though it’s a little overwhelming because reading The Shadow Glass is like discovering a new world in the existing one. I hope I’m making sense.

The gang uncovered the biggest WTF regarding the history of the ashas. The backstory of the world regarding Dancing Wind, Blade that Soars and Hollow Knife was given to the readers with clarity (?). It was actually when I understood it more.

Rin Chupeco blessed us with vivid descriptions of everything. They visited more of the places and the kingdoms. I’m still in awe whenever something new introduced because it seems really meticulously planned up to the very tiny detail. It’s easy to wander through the worlds using your imagination. I actually felt like I was among Tea and her friends.

I also know that the daeva (beasts) were supposed to be feared and killed for their bezoars to be harvested but I’ve grown fond of them. I blame Tea and the azi for being so adorable. Every other daeva seems to really have feelings. It was shown that a daeva have no choice but to act wildly because of the faceless or someone controlling them. The first book already gave us a glimpse of how Tea had managed all the daeva to be at her side. I believe that they still all deserve love even with their different appearances.

The thing about shadowglass became clearer and again, I was surprised that the author have thought of it. It was clearly seen that Rin took time in creating a wonderful world. It may be a bit overwhelming to take in at first but once you get the hang of it, you’ll appreciate how outstanding it is. The fact that this book focused on the powers of a Dark asha (necromancy and such) made it sound even more interesting. With the cover and description alone, the books would really make you want to read them. Really one of the best worlds I’ve ever read.

Plot, Pacing & Writing Style
If this isn’t the best way to end the trilogy then I don’t know what is. This book made me feel lots of different emotions. Really a roller coaster ride. There are times that I think the books were just playing with my emotions, LOL. The Shadow Glass really is the most extreme. It was pretty consistent on how it made me feel. I started and ended the book WITH TEARS IN MY EYES. I don’t know about you guys but this was too good. It was too much for my heart and it’s one of the best fantasy trilogies ever!

Rin Chupeco created a steady plot with surprises and reveals every now and then which was really good because it’d definitely make the readers crave for more without giving them a reason to get bored. It sometimes felt that there’s a lot happening but I’m so glad it worked out for me.

It’s amazing how the first two books really did their job in hyping up the conclusion to the story. Of course, the book is still told in two POVs: Tea’s and the bard. The switching between the two views was confusing sometimes but you’ll really feel how close the two POVS’ time frames really are together. The end of Tea’s in The Shadow Glass was picked up by the bard’s in The Bone Witch. It really is the present and the future. While I was nearing the end, I found myself comparing the two POVs and placing the pieces together.

It was fast-paced but it wouldn’t work out if you just skim on the words. I’ve learned that it’s best to read it in your own pace and do not rush because it can really ruin your reading experience. So take the time and savor the words to really enjoy it. It was really worth the time. I just actually finished this the day before my tour stop (Feb 20th) and I have no regrets! Just imagine how hard it is to get myself back and write a decent review.

The ending was really good. It’s also like having two endings because of the two POVs. And it felt really good because I had closure. You may feel a little lost with Tea’s ending but the bard’s would make up for it, I swear. It made me smile while crying.

I applaud Rin Chupeco so much not just for creating this world and introducing us to the wonderful characters but also for telling this wonderful story in her magical way of writing. Rin really has a great writing style that’s easy to get lost into. And I’ll never forget how she made me feel a lot of things. I know I’ll be checking out her other works too.

Wrapping it Up,
I hope I have given enough justice to this wonderful trilogy. I’LL NEVER STOP SCREAMING MY HEART OUT FOR THESE BOOKS. I swear that if you haven’t read this, you’re missing out on a lot. I still have a hangover and I hope I’ll be ready enough soon to start a new read. Just think about The Shadow Glass made me feel everything again. Reading my favorite quotes makes me tear up and I just can’t. I know that I’ll forever love The Bone Witch Trilogy. And IT SUCKS HOW I CAN’T SQUEAL OVER MY SHIP BECAUSE I DON’T WANT TO SPOIL Y’ALL. So if you’ve read this, please talk to me.

Enough with my messy feelings, I rate The Shadow Glass by Rin Chupeco a perfect 5/5 stars!
“HEY, TEA, MY HEART’S A BIT DEAD…MIND RAISING IT FOR ME?

Reading The Bone Witch trilogy by Rin Chupeco was not only an exhilarating experience as a reader, but as a writer, I found this Asian author’s work to be compelling. By this, I mean that The Bone Witch trilogy is not just about one girl’s mission to save her world; at the heart of it, this trilogy is a subtle commentary about power struggle and elitism, about gender imbalance, of discrimination, and love in all its form.

The Bone Witch trilogy begins with a girl who accidentally raises her brother from the dead. This action of love and grief soon brings her to the world of the asha, an association of magic wielding, geisha-like women, where she begins her training in the arts of the Dark. But beneath the asha’s glamour, Tea finds herself questioning the association that took her in. It is said that the Dark ashas are spawns of evil, yet it is the Dark asha who practice healing and rid the lands of daeva or demons.

What good is magic, Tea asks, if the minority suffer for it?

In The Shadow Glass, hope seems bleak –Tea moves with her army of daeva and familiars, burning kingdoms for reasons that is unclear. Lost faith and distrust stand between her and her friends. Fox, her dead brother and familiar,  is angry and distressed by Tea’s destructive behavior, which can only be a consequence of her blackened heartglass, he believes. Fox never knew his sister to be cruel and merciless. In the past, Tea seeks the First Harvest for her brother’s life, and is desperate to protect her friends from the cursed Blight, which transforms humans into daeva-like creatures. In the future, Tea is no longer as we knew her. If Tea is still driven by her desire to see her brother breath and live, why is she wielding the dark recklessly? Why won’t she come home?

As I’ve mentioned before, nothing will stop me from being in awe of Rin Chupeco’s world-building. Inspired by Asian culture, the eight kingdoms of The Bone Witch is steeped in traditions, delicious cuisine, and mythology. While its prequels were luscious and detail oriented, The Shadow Glass is full of suspense. The way Rin Chupeco played with the plot line and her reader’s emotions is a kind of dark magic in itself.

In the third book, a lot of importance is placed on the world’s mythology. Not only do we see how this has shaped the nations but it also gives a glimpse about how stories formed the asha association. Through our characters, we come to understand how easily (and often) history is manipulated in favour of the elite.

Grief, guilt, and trauma wreak havoc on our main character, Tea; I was immediately drawn in by how the author handled this picture of mental pressure and its effect on Tea. To be honest, I like that she was written as a struggling hero rather than one who faced all with a brave face. Tea’s breakdown was a testament that strength is never about how little fear you feel but about chosing the right way even when it hurts. Her relationship with Kalen was beautiful; you can just feel how much passion these characters have for each other.

Now, allow me a moment to digress. Reading of Kalen and Tea reminded me of my own relationship. As one who suffers from mental illness, I applaud Rin Chupeco for how she wrote Kalen’s reactions to Tea’s own mental health decline. Kalen was patient, understanding – never overstepping his boundaries with Tea. Often we have relationships in books where one character tries to fix the other and yet Kalen never attempted to so. His constant presence and love grounded Tea*.

*LET’S ALL TAKE A NOTE FROM KALEN, Y’ALL.
We also reach a point of beautiful transformation for one of our main characters. Likh, my darling, is a character of great potential. Her storyline is just as loud a rebellion as Tea’s. Likh’s fight for her identity and her right to be treated with dignity began with their desire to join the asha association. I have been rooting for this little baby ever since her first appearance in The Bone Witch. Also, can we just appreciate how Rin Chupeco listened to her character’s identity, to be referred to by she/her pronouns, and actually switched Likh’s pronouns mid-book!

The emotional bond between the characters goes beyond heartshare in The Shadow Glass. Even with distrust and doubts, the love the characters share fill the pages. It was hard to read The Bone Witch trilogy and not be affected by its story-telling. From a young girl who grieved for her brother to the woman who grieved over her child, both protagonists and villains, come to life in this deadly world. Good intentions and treacherous consequences follow every character’s path. I think, in the end, the question is not about how hard you fight but about what you are willing to sacrifice to change the world.
Thank you to the publisher for giving me a copy in exchange for an honest review.

It has been a while since I binge read a series and said, "I'M IN SO MUCH PAIN GIVE THESE BOOKS MORE LOVE AND ATTENTION YOU COWARDS!!!"

I only started reading The Bone Witch series a month ago but I find myself so attached to this trilogy now that I consider it to be one of the best YA Fantasy series out there.

The Shadowglass tied up the missing links to Tea's tale seamlessly all the while making me feel as if I've run 10 miles with all the heavy breathing my lungs made while reading. It was THAT thrilling and breathtaking. I still loved the storytelling till the very end, with the flashbacks narrated by Tea and the present narrated by the Bard fitting perfectly.

The Shadowglass also showed more of the Seven Kingdoms that Rin Chupeco created vividly and I loved that very much. I'm still reeling from the complex world-building of this series rivaling even George R. R. Martin's and Brandon Sanderson's with its meticulous details. Each kingdom has its own mythology, political history and architecture. I am the kind of bookdragon who's always thirsty for excellent worlds to get lost in and ADAM THIS DEFINITELY POURED A LOT OF WATER IN MY MOUTH. There was no scarcity, folks. This series kept me hydrated. No doubt about it.

I also can't deny that I loved all the character developments in this book. I understood Tea better here and it was only in this book that I grasped the scope of her connection with and love for Kalen. Tea and Fox's sibling relationship is also realistic in its ups and downs. I admire how Chupeco wrote Fox to be such a three-dimensional character with his misgivings and imperfections. How can I also forget my love for the queer couples in this series? Shadi and Zoya make one of the best f/f pairs for they complement each other beautifully. HELLO TO LIKH AND KHALAD TOO. I was one step away from screaming at them to just admit they have feelings for each other. The both of them are just too pure okay?? I will take a bullet for them. Or, you know, shield them with runes because there are no guns in this world.

Yes this review is one love letter for this series and I have no regrets. The Shadowglass gave me a lot of feels with all the plot twists and betrayals it held. This book has a mix of mystery and magic that made my reading experience 100% memorable. This was the best conclusion I hoped for and my heart is full of love for it.

I will certainly miss this world and all its characters. Nevertheless, I'm sure this won't be the end. I will surely visit Tea's tale over and over again because this is what it deserves.

READ THIS SERIES IF YOU HAVEN'T YET. THE SHADOWGLASS GOES OUT ON MARCH 5, 2019. WATCH OUT FOR IT.
"The Shadowglass" is a beautifully lyrical finale to a great YA fantasy series. The book is told in two parts, alternating, where we follow Tea in the past and then a Bard in the present/future. Tea is a dark asha (also known as a bone witch, a slang/disrespectful term) in another world. Asha- witches- are similar to geisha in a world where people have magic and wear their souls around their neck in the form of heartsglass. There are many types of asha, and the primary job of the dark asha is to raise and kill the dangerous daeva, powerful magical creatures created by the False Prince, so that they do not rise on their own and wreak havoc.

As we know from the previous books, Tea has changed things and now controls several daeva and seems to be waging war on the kingdoms. The present/future has been presenting us with things that do not seem to add up from what we know of the past, and now, in this third book, the events in the future/present are closely linked with the subsequent sections of the past as they near each other in time. Answers come quickly in this book as we follow Tea's path through history and approach the finale.

While you need to read the first two to understand this one, I highly recommend this whole series. Told in lyrical, enchanting prose, this trilogy is simply beautiful. There are a number of big topics addressed here, including defining right/wrong and the value of things we hold dear (here, magic) when they allow for oppression and other evils in addition to the good. Another topic I found interesting is the hiding of knowledge supposedly for the people's good or for one's own interest and the problematic results of doing so. I do not want to say too much to avoid spoilers, but I absolutely loved this trilogy and cannot recommend it enough!

Please note that I received an ARC. All opinions are my own.