Cover Image: Whisper Me This

Whisper Me This

Thank you Lake Union Publishing and Netgalley for letting me read Whipser Me This for my honest review. The this book is not a book full of mystery and secrets like promised. It is a book about domestic abuse. It leads you to believe in the beginning that there is mystery but the answers soon come to light and to me the whole premise fell flat.

This was a great read. This book is full of strong female characters that don't necessarily realise they are so. It's realistic, the characters all come with their own insecurities and flaws and take some time to realise their own strengths. This book is moving, easy to relate to and enjoyable.

Loved the book. There were so many secrets kept hidden from Maisey. Loved the story, writing style and characters. Although, most of the characters were horrible people. Thank goodness Maisey grew up with Howard as a dad, because her mom was awful. Leah reminded me of Joan Crawford. Between Leah and Greg, no wonder Maisey is the way she is. Sometimes I forgot Elle was only twelve, she seemed very grownup and more mature than some of the adults. I LOVED Howard, especially how he stood up to Greg and Boots.

Maisey returns home after getting a phone call that her mom is in a coma and her dad may be facing charges of for abuse and neglect. Maisey never felt she was good enough for her mom and was always a disappointment, not living up to her fullest potential. Her mom, Leah, would go crazy when Maisey mentioned an imaginary friend named Marley. Leah even went as far as to hit Maisey with a belt over Marley. Maisey and her daughter, Elle, arrive at her parents' house to find her dad burning documents in the fireplace. Maisey discovers her mom was hiding many secrets and the mystery of Marley might finally be solved. Throw in Greg, Elle's father, who is very controlling, demeaning and abusive. There's also Tony, the sexy EMT/firefighter who Maisey believes should be in a calendar holding a cat.

Loved the cover of the book. The story held my interest from beginning until end. I definitely recommend the book and can't wait to read more by the author.

Thanks to NetGalley, Lake Union Publishing and the author, Kerry Anne King, for a free electronic ARC of this novel.

I received an Advanced Readers Copy from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This book was descriptive and well written. This as the story of lives lived with domestic violence and the terrible price one mother had to pay to rid herself and her daughter of their abuser.

This book was easy to read however I thought it a bit rushed at the end and it was a bit disappointing .I also felt there was a whole other story to be told and I was left with more questions than answers. On the whole a good story and I will recommend it as a good read.

So where to start? This book was just okay for me. I just didn’t love this one. The character development was lacking for me and the plot just didn’t hit the mark for me either. Once you learn Maisey’s parents secrets the rest of the book just fell flat for me. I really struggled to finish this one. It wasn’t horrible but it wasn’t my favorite either.

I have to agree with some of the previous reviews that I've read in regards to this novel. It's not a thriller in my opinion. It does deal with Domestic Violence both emotional and physical. I liked the way Ms. King wrote about how it affects children who have grown up in that type of environment, from completely different backgrounds and levels of abuse. It comes from a Male's perspective as well as the females, each person deals with it differently and she wove them together to make a great story.
I found this to be more about the main protagonist who is forced to go through a heck of a lot of issues that would have to be devasting to even begin to deal with.

I would like to thank the publisher as well as NetGalley for providing me with an e-galley in exchange for my honest opinion, the opinion expressed above are my own.

This novel is a reflection of domestic violence, effects on the victim, children, how there is a cycle of domestic violence, and reclaiming your life.

I liked the topic and the concept and how it was to be impactful, what I liked in the notes at the end, Kerry Ann King states that she wanted to "show, tell" why some people just don't leave. That was impactful, that had me hooked.

I loved Marley's character the most, wanting to hug and squeeze at times, although I do not believe that this was meant to be the main, who I believe the main character was to be, , Maisey drove me crazy. However, the author does a wonderful job allowing the reader to "see it" from Maisey's perspective and allowing the reader to connect to secondary characters

I was super excited to be granted this book, I was excited to read it and wanted to devour it, but for me, I struggled to get through this. I do not think it was horrible, I believe that it is just one of those books for me, I think perhaps mentally I put so much into what I thought this book would be and wanting more,

I believe the concept is impactful and would recommend for a light read

Whisper Me This is part mystery and part family drama. It centers upon domestic violence in families. I was a victim of domestic violence and this book really hit home with me. This book truly delves into the psychopathy of the person committing domestic violence as well as the psychopathy of the victim.

This book is not a bed of roses to read. If you are a victim of domestic violence it’s really hard because it brings back memories of what occurred in your relationship, at least that’s what it did for me.

I am no longer in a violent relationship so I had sympathy and empathy for the narrator.

If you are in a violent relationship I encourage you to read this book. It is almost a primer on how to get out of that relationship, how to confront your abuser and how free you will feel after the relationship ends.

Although this is a work of fiction, it truly felt like a memoir. The author hit all the right notes when talking about domestic violence especially how it affects children.

I would like to thank net galley Kerry Anne King and Lake Union publishing for allowing me to read this book and exchange for an honest review.

Thank you to NetGalley and Lake Union Publishing for a copy of this e-ARC in exchange for an honest review.

This book was a very quick read, but was fascinating. I liked the way the story went back and forth with the mother's diary. It was suspenseful and the family dynamic was great.

Would highly recommend.

This was a good story, great characters. It does have some mystery and a few twists. The narrator, Maisey, seems to be a bit of a ditz but she is endearing as well. I loved the character of Elle, her daughter who is wise beyond her years. Tony’s sister, Mia, is also a fun character and together with Elle they were a force. The relationships and dialogue were so genuine and believable. There is a fair bit of sadness and the story is full of domestic violence so be warned. I was happy with the conclusion. I will be checking out other works by this author, highly recommend.

Thanks to NetGalley, the author, and Lake Union Publishing for a copy in exchange for a review.

This was the first book I have read of Kerry Anne's and I absolutely loved it!! It had just enough suspense in it to keep me turning the pages. I loved finding our who Marley was and then how she wove her into the story. I loved Maisey - the main character - and how she juggled with everything that was thrown on her plate. It is listed as romance, but there is not a lot of romance going on. I feel like it is more a generational fiction.

A good domestic drama about abuse and family secrets. In the search to find her mother's end of life wishes, Maisey discovers her mother's big secret...she has a twin sister, Marley. What would make a mother abandon her child? Maisey tries to find answers through a new connection with her sister and her father's failing memory.
I really didn't like Maisey's character in the beginning. She seems flighty and indecisive and puts way too much responsibility on her teenage daughter. I like how she finds her strength in the end to protect her daughter from abuse. I like the character Tony and I wish more of the book focused on their relationship. I really liked this book and will recommend it to my friends. Thank you to Kerry Anne King and NetGalley for the chance to review this book.

Thank you Lake Union Publishing for this fantastic book! I totally enjoyed it. It is totally dense, dark, and gripping till the last page. I've always loved Amazon's pick of publishing new thrillers, and this one didn't seem to disappoint.

This is a beautifully written, compelling mystery about family and loyalty, and what lengths we go to in order to protect our loved ones. Because I also come from a family with a history of domestic violence and secrets, as well as mental illness, this story resonated with me on many levels.

Maisey receives a phone call out of the blue, learning that her mother is in a coma, and her elderly father, who appears disoriented and confused, is facing charges of abuse. Maisey returns to her family home, with her confident, outspoken 12 year old daughter in tow. While searching through her parents' home office and documents, trying to make sense of all that has happened, Maisey discovers a hidden birth certificate revealing she has a twin sister she never knew about.

As Masiey faces this shock, she is also dealing with her unwell parents, and trying to determine what's best for her entire family. It's a powerful story with a big mystery, and while it is generally a story of sadness and grief, there are overtones of courage, resilience, and hope. I highly recommend this for most fiction readers.

“Whisper Me This” is a mysterious and heartbreaking story of Maisey, a woman who suddenly returns home with her daughter to find her mother in a coma, and her father confused and facing charges. With every second chapter being Leah’s journal, it shows a haunting glance into her dangerous past. If anything, this book teaches you how strong you need to be in the face of death. I loved every bit of it.

In a world every bit the same as our own, there’s a lot of things that you don’t want to talk about, but you have to. Leah kept secrets all her life, and continued to until the very end. Her life was destroyed but she was able to rebuild. Maisey didn’t think anything other than her mother was tough on her. Although this book is only half told through Leah’s point of view, I feel like it was equally important to the other half, in the present day. The description doesn’t really explain as much as you’d think it does, and I was surprised to find this book as exciting as it was. I took my time reading it, stretching it out as long as I could, because I didn’t want it to end.

The characters are so realistic, that you’d think that this was a true story. Not only did they learn from each other, but they learned for themselves, and changed a lot through the book. Maisey, the main viewpoint, was quiet and always drifting off into her imagination. Throughout the book, she got her footing back, and really became the confident person we wanted her to be. Not only do you need to be strong, but you need to stick up for yourself throughout your life. It doesn’t matter when you start, but you need to eventually and I think that’s an important thing to have in a story.

I was lost in the story from the moment I started the book, and I wouldn’t have it any other way. If you’re looking for a page turning, stomach twisting mysterious story, you’re looking in the right place. This book had turns I never expected, and i don’t think you’ll expect either. If you like strong female characters, this book is for you. Not only does it have a cool looking cover, but the insides are just amazing and I definitely recommend you check it out.
Thanks for reading!
(Radioactivebookreviews.wordpress.com)

Five stars for Whisper Me This by Kerry Anne King. This story was a great read that was interesting and kept me guessing until the view end. Thank you for the opportunity to review.

This was an emotional and sometimes heart-breaking book to read. The subject matter that supports the main plot is one that some people may have difficulty with, but that wasn’t the part that got to me. The book opens with a tragedy in the family of the protagonist, Maisey. The author writes in such a realistic style that the descriptions of Maisey’s mother and father in the first part of the book brought memories of my father’s fatal illness into sharp relief. I actually had to stop reading for a bit, because it was so eerily familiar. Once I was able to start reading again, I got drawn into the over-arching plot. The secrets that have been hidden for decades are revealed as Maisey and her family cope with grief and try to understand all of the changes, both immediate and long-term, that occur. The author is expressive and has created characters that are all unique, even though they are ultimately connected by a thread of something that has affected each individually. The stark and unflinching portrayals are real; I would be surprised if readers didn’t find at least two characters who they could relate to, as well as another two who are similar to other people they know. For me, it was a combination of Maisey and Elle (Maisey’s 12 year old daughter) – I instantly related to both of them. While the subject matter is heavy, the author addresses it in such a realistic manner that it doesn’t seem maudlin or fatalistic. The epilogue, in particular, speaks volumes to the strength people carry inside of them in spite of outside influences. I would highly recommend this book. Thank you to NetGalley, Lake Union Publishing, and the author for a digital copy in exchange for an honest review.

Very basic book about domestic violence. Nothing memorable or horribly enjoyable about it. The love interest part was annoying and would have been better had it not been included

Hop on this roller coaster of emotions with the book Whisper Me This. I found this to be a page-turner that held my interests! I enjoyed this read and will recommend it to others!

Union Publishing

General Fiction (Adult) , Women's Fiction

Pub Date 01 Aug 2018
Archive Date 29 Aug 2018

Give Feedback

Talking about this book? Be sure to tag it using #WhisperMeThis #NetGalley

Single mother Maisey Addington has always fallen short of her own mother’s expectations—never married, a bit adrift, wasting her high IQ on dead-end jobs. The only thing Maisey’s sure she’s gotten right is her relationship with her twelve-year-old daughter, Elle…until a phone call blows apart the precarious balance of their lives. Maisey’s mother is in a coma, and her aging father faces charges of abuse and neglect.

Back at her childhood home, Maisey must make a heartrending life-or-death decision. Her confused father has destroyed family records, including her mother’s final wishes. Searching for answers, Maisey uncovers one unspeakable secret after another when she stumbles upon a shattering truth: a twin sister named Marley.

Definitely a good page turner, Love how easily the book flowed together!