Cover Image: Whisper Me This

Whisper Me This

I received this book "Whisper Me This" from NetGalley and all opinions expressed are my own.
I liked this book which was filled with secrets and deception. You just wanted to keep reading to find out the heart of the story. This book does deal with domestic violence, abusive relationships but it also deals with love, hope and strength. I loved Leah's Journal! I wish that there was one chapter on Marley - her story needed to be expanded. Just one chapter on her feelings growing up would have bumped this review to 5 stars.

Maisey had a difficult childhood with her mother Leah always pushing her for more and making her feel that she was never good enough so when her own daughter Elle comes along she is determined to make a different life for her although she refuses to marry Greg the father. Greg however is very controlling and as an attorney always hangs the vague threat over her that he could go for custody of Elle if she doesn't toe the line. So when Leah has a fall and goes into a coma and her father is under suspicion of neglect and abuse she is distraught and rushes home. When she finds her father burning paperwork she is suspicious and eventually find out a massive secret....... she had a twin sister Marley!

A lovely book with great characters, Maisey at first seems a weak character always being pushed around but she grows as the story evolves and were hear of the abuse that had gone on, be it physical or mental, and it is a story that stays work you long after you have finished reading it.

This book brought to life living with abuse and finding a way to escape it. Also making excuses for when you're being abused, and minimizing what's happening to make it ok. I felt the main character Maisey was someone you could relate too, she had her moments, she was ditzy at times like we all are sometimes and yet strong in others. However her daughter Elle who was 12 was more mature and wise then almost all the characters, this I had a hard time with. I have a 12 year old and there is no way he would act like he has had all the wisdom of the world. I've met a lot 12 years girls and boys, and even the most mature ones don't speak like Elle diodes. That was the one part of the book I could not wrap my mind around. I'm sure it must happen to those that have to grow up faster than others because of life circumstances but she seems to live a normal life. It was a bit of a pet peeve because I liked her character but couldn't wrap my mind around the 12 year old. Other than that I didn't mind this book, it had a good message.

This book “… stirs the emotions in your belly like a spoon stirring cream into a coffee cup…”

Maisey grew up in a home that was ruled by her iron-willed mother. It is no wonder she moved away, placing several States between herself and her childhood home. She loves her parents, she just knows that raising her daughter in Kansas City has been the best decision she has ever made.

Maisey and her daughter, Elle get along famously. In fact, despite what her mother sees as wasted potential, Maisey knows she has done something right – she has raised Elle with all the love anyone could ever wish for.

A single, life-altering phone call brings back all Maisey’s feelings of inadequacy. She has to fly home. Her mother is gravely ill and her father is confused and evasive. The police mention the possibility of domestic abuse or at the very least, neglect.

Back in her childhood home, Maisey unearths a life-changing secret; she has a sister. One that neither her mother or father ever spoke of.

Just as she is coming to terms with the fact that her mother had lied to her for her entire life, Maisey discovers more secrets and lies.

This book is one of the most realistic descriptions of spousal abuse I have ever come across. Author Kerry Anne King has a background in Mental Health Counseling and also as a nurse. She has obviously come into close contact with survivors of abusive relationships, because she does a brilliant job of describing the insidious way that abusers can get inside the head of their victims.

This book is an emotional roller coaster and readers will be taken along for the ride of their lives.

Maisey may initially come across as a weak character, but as readers learn more about her, perceptions change. Whether those perceptions are hers or the readers remains to be seen.

I could not help but be swept up in the drama of Maisey’s story. The plot moves along at the perfect pace and there is rarely a dull moment. The characters are so realistic that they could easily be your neighbors in reality.

With topics such as single parenthood, divorce, custody issues, alcoholism, drug abuse, child abuse, elder care, domestic violence, secrets, lies and more, there is barely a person on the planet that will not be able to find something or someone to relate to within the pages of “Whisper Me This.”

Written with some of the best character building I have read in a very long time, this book is an absolute MUST READ.

I will be thinking about this book for a long, long time and I rate it as 5 out of 5 Stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

** Thank you to NetGalley for providing me with a free copy of this book. **

Whisper Me This is such a good book. Great plot and characters. Lots of family drama and secrets. I highly recommend this book. My thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this arc. This is my unbiased review.

A well written domestic drama of family secrets. Be warned that there is a theme of abuse but it's handled appropriately. Maisey always wondered why her mother got so upset when she talked about her friend Marley- and now, many years later, she finds out. Maisey's sympathetic, her daughter Elle realistic, and the plot hangs together nicely. Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC.

A beautiful and emotional journey.
When I first saw this book cover I was so drawn to it, that I knew I wanted to read this story. I have previously only read one other book by this author and it was just as wonderful. After reading this story, I felt a deep emotion toward all these characters. Personally I have not had to face these situations, but reading this story makes one think... what would you do?
Maisey, Marley, Leah, and all the other characters were wonderful. The heartache, the emotional journey for each of them was just beautiful.

Maisey ‘s world falls apart when she receives a phone call that her mother is badly injured and her father is being accused of abuse. Her father was never the type to hurt a fly how could that even be possible? She packs her bags and takes her daughter in an attempt to deal with her parents - and so begins a whirlwind trip of Alice in Wonderland down the rabbit hole proportions. X-rays show multiple healed breaks and the authorities want to use this as proof of abuse...but her mother's doctor lets her know that none of these happened in the ten years she has been treating her as a patient. Memories of long ago surface where she found a picture of her mother holding two girl babies and her mother going ballistic that she found the picture. But wheen she finds the gun....what else has her mother never told her??

Very gripping read about family, abuse and the choices we make in life... i thought this book was excellent and would definitely recommend... Thank you netgalley for letting me give an honest review of this book

I loved this unputdownable page-turner. Family secrets, deep emotional choices and a wonderful Heroine in Maisey and her spunky daughter. Relatable, developed characters that you get to know. I was totally entranced and I didn't want it to end. The small piece of romance works well in this delicate, intimate story of family, a missing adult twin, a dying mother and a father whose memory is failing. It all comes together and I was literally lost in the book for 2 solid nights. I Highly recommend this for many genres of women's fiction. Drama, mystery, family secrets, life, and love. It is a favorite of 2018 for me. 5 stars.

Kerry Anne King has written Maisey's story from her point of view as well as alternating with her mother, Leah's journal and sometimes from Tony's perspective. This story is a slow build and is more of a plain mystery that one that has additional suspense. Whisper Me This is piecing together Leah's past and provides some answers for Maisy about the stranger that was her mom. Leah, Maisey, and Tony's' story all connect in a fundamental way that shaped who they became and their journeys are ugly and dirty and beautiful. Thank you Lake Union Publishing for allowing this book to be written, read and for providing me an ARC so I can share my opinions.

First and foremost, I would not identify this book as a mystery. It is a contemporary fiction about growth and redemption–yes, there are secrets and plot twists, but the descriptor of “mystery” is a bit misleading.

This is a slow-paced novel that begins with our main character, Maisey Addington, a single mother struggling to pay her rent and act with any sort of adult responsibility. For most of the book, I absolutely despised Maisey. She is spineless, immature, whiney, and childish. Her twelve-year-old daughter is the driving factor in her life–she is everything Maisey is not: put-together, self-aware, responsible. To me, these characterizations put me off of the story and made me resent the way the relationships were structured. One thing I absolutely despise in a book are weak female characters, although this was kind of the point of this novel, I suppose.

Through the narration, we learn about two stories (one of our main character Maisey, the other of her love interest) that center around domestic violence and the lasting pain and trauma that results from it. Unfortunately, I completely disagree with the way King wrote about it. Don’t get me wrong. I realize that victims blaming themselves and offering up excuses for their abusers is a tragic, albeit common coping mechanism, but I personally can’t relate to it and found it incredibly frustrating that there were very few strong characters who wanted to stand up for themselves. There were attempts at redemption, but for me, they came too little and too late. I think the point of the story was to expose readers to the emotional trauma suffered by the characters, but it was so poorly written that I ended up resenting them instead. I’m not going to discuss this further because I don’t feel like I’m in a position to criticize.

Other than the subject matter, the book was just alright. The prose was grammatically correct, but that’s about it…there was very little artistry or distinct style. I went in with expectations of intrigue and mystery, but what I got was a poorly-paced novel with a half-assed attempt at dual perspective. I was not a fan of this book and I wouldn’t recommend it, even as a potential source of abuse understanding or healing.

Whisper Me This is a book full of feels. It tackles some very heavy real life issues, and not everything works out as a happily ever after.

The characters are very well written and so realistic. The story itself has lots of tragedies and tears, but there is a thread of hope that runs through the background of the entire story.

This is the first book I’ve read by Kerry Anne King, but it will not be my last.

A haunting mystery about a woman's past has her daughter, Maisey, searching for clues. Maisey's mother has died under suspicious circumstances, and her father may have been negligent in not seeking care for his dying wife. The secrets of her mother's past unravel and enable Maisey to stand up for herself and her daughter's future. This book delicately deals with the issue of domestic violence and is a must read.

When I opened this book and read the epigraph, I knew I was already pulled in and was going to be captive. I was stepping into a story that would be one to make me feel. It touched me in so many ways. From deep and heart wrenching anguish to anger and absolute horror at what another human could do to someone. I felt compassion and love for the characters who dealt with abuse from the people who should have loved them unconditionally.
This book took me on an emotional journey with the main character, Maisey. I was pulling for her to find the answers she was searching for. To uncover the secrets her mother had kept and never wanted anyone to learn about. I wanted her to find the peace she had been missing all her life and to also be free of the burdens she had been carrying.
I love Kerry Anne Kings style of writing. She writes passages with word pictures that are so descriptive and accurate. I like the touches of sarcasm that actually pull the thought and ideas of the story together. I could envision so much by these word pictures....an example for me was this passage:
"My heart does a sideways lurch one direction and then the other. A flock of butterflies that has apparently been roosting in my belly bursts up in a flight pattern that would be the envy of the Blue Angels." I could actually feel that feeling from those words!
This story dealt with the serious issue of domestic violence. It was at times very difficult to read but one that I couldn't NOT read. I lost track of time turning page after page. This is a book that I will think about and remember for a long time. I want to thank Lake Union, Netgalley and Kerry Anne King for the honor of reading this book. I totally give it 5 stars!

First I’d like to thank Kerry Ann King for a signed copy of this most cherished book! My blog partner and I read and review hundreds of books a year. Our list of “OMG must reads” to recommend to others is growing a mile long because of books like this! Before our full review we will start by giving it 5 big fat stars! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Kerry Anne King does a masterful job at painting a picture of what domestic violence, heartache, loss, and resilience looks and feels like. As the description states, Maisey is a single mom of 12 year old Elle. She lives in what she feels is constant scrutiny from her successful yet controlling ex, Greg. Her entire life comes crashing down the moment she finds out that her mom has collapsed in her home and hit her head while her father supposedly followed her directions not to get her medical attention. So for three days she lay in bed deteriorating. Along with her downward spiraling health, Leah (Maisey’s once vibrant, confident, full of life mother), also takes with her, her deepest darkest secrets about her life. Until… The journal she began writing is discovered and Maisey begins to learn the truth. Then there’s Tony; fire fighter who appeared at Maisey’s house to investigate her mother’s accident. He seems to harbor many secrets but you won’t know what his connection is to this whole story right away!
What secrets did her mother have? Why were they so devastating to Maisey, her father, and the trajectory of her life? Will Greg push her to do something she doesn’t want to do giving up control of her mother’s wishes? Maisey’s last words to her mother before she died are chilling and can’t be taken back.
I highly recommend that you read Kerry Ann Kings book to see how this thrilling edge-of-your-seat story takes you on a ride of plot twists that will lead you to a shocking ending!

I had several different feelings about this book. It's about a dysfunctional family and the abuse that is endured. It was very emotionally charged and hard to read in certain places. I would recommend It to others, but also to be aware of its contents.
Thank you to NetGalley and Lake Union Publishing for allowing me to read his book.

First I'd like to thank Kerry Ann King for a signed copy of this most cherished book! My blog partner and I read and review hundreds of books a year. Our list of "OMG must reads" to recommend to others is growing a mile long because of books like this! Before our full review we will start by giving it 5 big fat stars! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Kerry Ann King does a masterful job at painting a picture of what domestic violence, heartache, loss, and resilience looks and feels like. As the description states, Maisey is a single mom of 12 year old Elle. She lives in what she feels is constant scrutiny from her successful yet controlling ex, Greg. Her entire life comes crashing down the moment she finds out that her mom has collapsed in her home and hit her head while her father supposedly followed her directions not to get her medical attention. So for three days she lay in bed deteriorating. Along with her downward spiraling health, Leah (Maisey's once vibrant, confident, full of life mother), also takes with her, her deepest darkest secrets about her life. Until... The journal she began writing is discovered and Maisey begins to learn the truth. Then there's Tony; fire fighter who appeared at Maisey's house to investigate her mother's accident. He seems to harbor many secrets but you won't know what his connection is to this whole story right away!
What secrets did her mother have? Why were they so devastating to Maisey, her father, and the trajectory of her life? Will Greg push her to do something she doesn't want to do giving up control of her mother's wishes? Maisey's last words to her mother before she died are chilling and can't be taken back.

Thank you to NetGalley and Lake Union for the honor of reading this book.

I started this book and it just blew me away. From the very first it pulled me in and took a hold of my heart. This is a wonderful book but be warned, you will need Kleenex. It’s a very emotional ride and one that will stay with you for a while for sure. A story of women and abuse. I’ll never understand why people want to hurt each other and claim that it’s love. I’ll never understand how they can raise their hands in pain to someone they are suppose to love and honor. I have a wonderful husband who would never have thought about hurting me. But I grew up in a very abusive house. I never called it home because a home should be filled with love and happiness, not pain and tears.
This book was so well written and said it like it was. Even emotional abuse is wrong. Playing mind games in lots of ways is worse than hitting. Mind games stay and beat you down so bad. The characters in this book are so well developed and so likable. Except the ones that love to hurt others. Those are the ones you want to see punished and punished bad.
To lose a sister is sad beyond words but if it’s a twin it has to be so much worse. Like a deep part of you is missing. Losing a child is even worse. This story will take you places that you won’t forget. At least I won’t. It’s told in such a realistic way that you feel every pain. Ever slap. Every put down. Even every laugh. Every hug.
I felt so bad for Walter. When he says he wants to go home and Maisey thinks she has to tell him his home will be sold and she does not have room for him, I lost it. I felt like “HOW COULD YOU.” How could she even go there after this man gave her a good life. Loved her unconditionally. Completely. How could she and does she. Does she let them put him in a home? This is a book you have to read. You will not be able to put it down. It’s one that will keep you reading when you should be cleaning house or sleeping. I laid awake last night thinking I had to get up and finish this book. But I did make myself wait and finished it today. It was one wonderful story. So sad and also so happy. I loved it from page one to the very end. I loved the journal from Maisey’s mother too. I finally liked her after thinking she was such a mean woman. Unless you walk in someone’s shoes you should not judge them. Give them the benefit of the doubt if possible.
This book gets a big 5 stars from me and more if I could. Thank you Kerry Anne King for writing this book. It sure gets to the heart of abuse and why some people make the choices they make.

More an emotional read than a thriller, the characters and the story line kept me moving through the story to see what secret would be revealed and how it would be dealt with. I thought the author handled the domestic abuse part of the story well and compassionately. I enjoyed the characters and their interactions, and felt Maisey finally came into her own by the end. For me, this was a good story to curl up with and lose myself in, content to go where the story took me.