Joan the Made

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 10 May 2018

I was not drawn into this story as I expected. There was somthing about the story, the characters that did not do it for me. I think it's a book that could be pleasent to many people, just not me.
JOAN THE MADE didn't really jump out at me and say READ ME, but I was intrigued enough with the blurb that I thought I should give it a shot. I had no problem getting into the story once I started reading.

I thought the clone concept was super interesting and it was shocking to see how this world treats them. Joan grew up thinking she was evolved but finds out she is a throwback on her 18th birthday. EVERY dream and plan she had was thrown out the window. I liked Joan. She of course goes through a stage of 'why the heck me', but she takes to her new fate and uses it to her advantage.

There is a little bit of romance in JOAN THE MADE. It is nothing to write home about, but it is there. The ending really threw a wrench in a few things. I have a few theories that I can't share due to spoilers, but these theories make me interested to read more and find out if they will come to pass.

* This book was provided free of charge from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
This was such a cool concept. Clones of famous people serving the uncloned kind of turns on its head the whole idea of clones/robots/aliens taking over that is often seen in this genre.

Joan was an awesome kick ass character who had just enough of an emotional side to make her seem real without making her all angsty.

There were a couple of plot points that were easy to see a mile away but I found that my focus on them meant that other elements snuck up and took me by surprise, which was neat.

I really enjoyed Joan the Made and can’t wait to read the next in the series.
The characters took the spotlight in this first book of the Throwbacks series by Kristen Pham. I have been stuck in a rut of DNF'ed reads and shallow characters, but this book brought back my enjoyment for reading and reviewing, especially this particular genre. I loved how Pham spun a new tale about cloning in the future, with plenty of historical figures fleshed out so well that they seemed as though they were pulled directly from history books. Great care was spent in construing their "historic" mannerisms, features, personalities, and nuances.

Joan's relationship with Justus felt a little "insta-lovey" to me, which I hate, but it wasn't to a level that I absolutely abhor. I wasn't really feeling the chemistry between the two, and I'm hoping with the *breaking news* toward the end of the book, Joan's relationship with Nic will become something more in the coming book/s.

I liked the setting. The tunnels of the Seattle Underground were an interesting concept, as well as the children known as "Lab Rats." However, I did wish for a bit more information from the national stage. With the many historical clones attending Seattle Secondary, are there more dispersed throughout the United States? Speaking of the historical clones, I found it a little improbable that the Strand company would allow SO many "leaders" to be cloned at one time. Would that not be completely detrimental to their way of life? Hmm...

Overall, I gave Joan the Made a 4.5/5 rating with detractions for insta-love and lack of background about cloning implementation and history. It was a great book for lovers of YA and I was sad when I ran out of pages. I cannot wait for the next book of the series to be released.

*I was provided with a free ARC through the publisher/NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.
**I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own**
This book was amazing! Some of the ideas behind the story have been done many times before, but I loved it anyway!
The development of the main character was done very well. I loved that she started off as basically a spoiled brat and in the end was the leader of a revolution.
The end held surprises that I kinda caught onto a little into the story, especially when the little love story between Joan and Justus had developed more (won't say anymore because of spoilers!!!)
Can't wait for the next book!