Lala Pettibone: Standing Room Only

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 24 Aug 2018

This was a really funny, entertaining read - I wasn't aware it was a sequel. It makes me want to seek out this author'writing.
Lala is fun and funny and full of fears. This is a really fun and easy read, full of humour and Paris sightseeing. Very enjoyable.
Lala is both loveable and a bit annoying. A 40ish year old protagonist who is a bit eccentric and grew on me over the course of the story.

It's witty, fun and a bit dramatic. I love that the author has written a more mature protagonist who is out there living her life.
Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for an advanced copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.  I always enjoy adding a fun romantic comedy to my reading mix, and this novel provided several hilarious scenes as well as many enjoyable destinations.  However, the dialogue seemed somewhat spastic and the storyline was humdrum overall.
Lala Pettibone: Standing Room Only is EXHAUSTING.

I didn't realize going into this book that it was actually the second in the series. Perhaps I would have enjoyed this more if I had read the first one, but I somehow doubt that.

This book follows Lala who, practically overnight, turns her successful book into a screenplay which she manages to sell to a handsome British movie star and viola, filming the movie starts! In Paris! The problem with Paris is that it's a continent away from her boyfriend, David. Lala is a widow and is terrified at the thought of becoming a widow again so she jumps at the chance to immerse herself completely into filming the movie so that she doesn't have to deal with any of her fears or insecurities about allowing herself to be happy in love once more. While she is separated from David, she has a lot of madcap adventures that ultimately lead to a non-surprising happily ever after ending.

The main issue I had with this book was with the protagonist, Lala Pettibone herself. She is a LOT. Like, a LOT, a lot. She's a polarizing character where you will either love her or hate her and I for one fell into the latter category. For the life of me I could not figure out why everyone was so charmed by her and why everyone automatically fell in love with her. She is incredibly annoying - nonstop chattering about absolutely nothing, high strung, eccentric, insecure, over the top, dramatic, etc. She is childlike in her reaction to literally everything that happens around her (which she manages to make happen TO her) and it was just very, very tiresome. I did not find her charming or likable or endearing in any way.

While I can appreciate that this book has a female lead that is not in her 20s or 30s (as all age representation is important) and while I liked the idea of someone being anxious about falling in love a second time, Lala was just not someone I ever found myself capable of rooting for.

I received this ARC as a courtesy from NetGalley & the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
When I started reading this book, I did not realize that this is the second book featuring Lala. I don't think it is imperative to read them in order but it may have helped ease me into the character a bit more. I feel like I was just thrown into the deep end of Lala Pettibone and Lala is a lot to get all at once.

Unfortunately, I just didn't connect with the protagonist at all. I found her over the top and annoying at times. I found myself just wanting to smack some sense into her pretty regularly. There were also several bits that were too repetitive for my taste.

The writing was fine, the story was well paced and there were a few funny parts. I just feel as though this isn't the right book for me.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for an advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
After the death of her belived husband Lala is finally in love again, living with the man of her dreams. But when he suggests marriage she is terrified as much as she is delighted. She starts imagining all ways she can lose him so she runs off to Paris where her novel is being filmed.
Unfortunately she can't put everything off forever and she has some tough decisions to make.
Allthough I like the fact that main character is mature woman I found it slightly annoying how she wants every young person she meets to become her nephew or niece and take care of her in her old age. Also I am sorry to say she came across as neurotic and annoying seeking attention constantly.
I enjoyed the serting, its absolutely fabulous with its superb cuisine and romance.
Unless I'm feeling a very particular type of way, books that sort of just meander along here and there without following a definite storyline don't really appeal to me. Unfortunately, that means this book wasn't what I was hoping for. The main character does a bunch of things and is super loud and obnoxious while doing them. Her story goes in random directions in paragraph intervals, and I wasn't feeling it.
I would give this book 2.5 stars. I enjoyed the setting (especially Paris) and the descriptions of the food and wine, but I had a hard time connecting with Lala, which made this book a challenge for me. While I appreciate her grief over losing her husband, Terrance, to cancer and the vulnerability that she was experiencing in pursuing a commitment to David, I found her to be annoying and high maintenance. She seemed to have a constant need to be the center of attention and didn't really treat her friends very well unless it suited her. I also found parts of the book to be a bit repetitive (she wanted almost every young person to be her "adopted niece or nephew" so they could care for her in her old age and we were almost constantly reminded how bad her French accent was). I did love that the author created a main character of a more mature age who was both attractive and successful.
I'll say that I loved bits of this book! Lala came off as quite eccentric in the beginning but as the story progressed, she grew on me and I couldn't wait to read more of her. This book is both witty, nostalgic, fun and a bit dramatic. If you're into fierce characters with a great sense of humor then you'll love this. Thank you NetGalley for the eARC.
I received this book as an e-ARC from Netgalley and it was okay. I think, more than anything, I was not in the right headspace to be reading this book.

I really had a problem connecting with the protagonist for some reason. I know that this is more mature main character, which I generally like, but I just couldn't get through the whole book and like her.

I'm leaving this as a 2 star and keeping my mind open to rereading this book in the future.
In this effervescent sequel to last year’s 'Lala Pettibone’s Act Two,' the frenetic Lala is off to Paris to oversee the film version of her best-selling book (as written in her first outing) and, incidentally, escape making a decision about the good-hearted David, who has successfully courted her but has not yet won her future. Anyone who has ever dreamed of a Parisian life will love seeing the sprightly Lala take on the City of Lights, and her film's devastatingly handsome leading man, even as she tries to come to terms with her long-held widow’s grief and move on, and forward, with the dreamy Dr. David. A fast-talking, funny, forty-ish heroine to shout for! – Rachel Hyland
Huzzah! A feisty, hilarious female protagonist that ISN'T under 40. Go Lalal!

I'm so done in with books that focus on young people. Why aren't there more mature protagonists, eh? Well thankfully, Heidi Mastrogiovanni has stepped up to present a new alternative to the classic 'heroine' of literature; and her name is Lala Pettibone.

Lala is a scatty, hilarious, sassy older woman and in this book, we follow her journey to France to film the movie of her book, and her emotional journey as she fights to come to terms with the loss of her first husband and the prospect of marrying again.

Firstly, the humour - of which there was plenty in this book. Lala is a fast-talking kind of gal who doesn't take nonsense from anyone. However, this doesn't stop her from getting into all kinds of unfortunate situations. Being bulldozed to the ground by a goat, anyone?

However, this jollity is tempered by a lot of sensitivity, and a fresh way of exploring the process of grief. Rather than zoning in on the immediate aftermath of losing a partner, the book touches on the longer-term impact; the bottled-up feelings that come pouring out, especially when embarking on a new relationship. I found all of this very moving indeed - and a heartfelt counterbalance to the humour.

All in all, a really entertaining read - and a joy to get back into Lala's hectic, madcap life.
Lala is somebody I would love to be friends with. What a fun gal! I can completely understand her hesitation to get married again.It was fun to go along with her on her little escapade and I was excited to find out if she would end up following through with her engagement or not. Great read for an escapist like me!
This is really amazing story to read. I love the main character. You can get to know the characters while you reading it. I enjoyed a lot. I recommend everyone to read.
Wonderfully written book which takes you on an emotional rollercoaster though out with twists and turns along the way also love the character Lala especially her in head thoughts and I felt that I really got to know her and how she was feeling though out which I really enjoyed. Additionally the descriptions of the different places make it easy to imagine that you are there. I would highly recommend women to read this book.