Lethal Target

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 09 Jan 2019

I love a good, wholesome book that I can let my family read and know that what they're reading I'm not going to have to censure - that was this book!! It was superb!! It had a fantastic storyline and the characters were genuine and real...I loved that. I loved the message of the book and that it didn't have any bad stuff in it. I would recommend this to anyone!
Lethal Target by Janice Cantore was an amazing book!! With vivid descriptions, genuine characters, plenty of action and suspense, and a touch of romance, Lethal Target held my interest until the very end.
There is a lot going on in Lethal Target with multiple twists, turns, and surprises in store. Of course there is at least one more book in this series so I will have to be content to wait along with other readers to find out how everything works out. If you have not read any of this author’s books and are a fan of suspense novels featuring law enforcement, be sure to give Lethal Target a chance.
Lethal Target by Janice Cantore is book 2 in The Line Of Duty Series. Tess O’Rourke moved from Long Beach to a small community. But trouble is following her and the town is starting to listen to the lies being spread about her. I think this book was even more exciting than the first novel in the series. There was so much tension in the book that it is really hard to put this book down once you get started. It can be read as a stand-alone novel. I highly recommend it. I received a digital copy of this book from the publisher with no obligations. These opinions are entirely my own.
Lethal Target
by Janice Cantore
Tyndale House Publishers
Tyndale House Publishers, Inc.
Christian ,  Romance
Pub Date 09 Oct 2018

I am reviewing a copy of Lethal Target through Tyndale House Publishers and Netgalley:

Tess O’Rourke the police chief thought she’d taken care of her small town’s drug problem last year.  Now Rogue’s Hollow residents are angry about a contentious vote that could legalize the sale of Marijuana within city limits.  After an eighteen year old is found dead due to a possible overdose, Tess can’t help but wonder if the local pot farmers are involved.  She starts to feel a new deadler drug supply train has showed up.  Tempers flare and emotions boil over causing Tess to face the possibility that she may loose the towns support.

Police Chief Tess O’Rourke has a shaky relationship with Sergeant Steve Logan and could really use a friend.  She quickly feels drawn to Pastor Oliver Macpherson’s quiet presence.  But her anger towards her Father prevents her from embracing the Christian Faith and find the peace.

Tess is battling storms both inwardly and outwardly.  When a familiar face from her past shows up in town caus more trouble.  The threats against Tess he gives may end up being Lethal.

I give Lethal Target five out of five stars!

Happy Reading!
A fast pace, page turner, thriller.  Love Janice Cantore's stories...I'm sure you will too.  Experiece this novel yourself.
I really liked Tess! She is a kick butt female lead and has a good head on her shoulders. Oliver is a good shoulder for most of the community and I'm hoping in future books there are some that turn it around and are there for him too.  I love the small town setting and the author did a great job with her descriptions.
The author also did a good job with making some of the characters obnoxious. She did a great job showing how different people grieve in different ways and I could totally relate to some of them. The story line was good and kept me interested throughout.
It was a 5/5 for me.  Can't wait for more from this author.

Thank you to the publisher for the review copy of this book (via netgalley). I received this book in exchange for an honest review and the opinions stated above are 100% mine.
I really enjoyed this suspense novel.  Cantore’s experience as a police officer shines through making this book feel current, relevant, and authentic. It deals with several modern day issues like the legalization of marijuana and the affects of that, animosity towards police, and sensational/irresponsible journalism.  Everything that happened felt believable and I was caught up in the story.
Police Chief Tess O’Rourke is a strong woman whose faith has all but disappeared because of the events in her past.  She can’t understand how Pastor Oliver can keep holding on to his belief in a good God who cares for His people.  When events again get dangerous and even lethal, Tess has to decide who and what she’ll lean on.  There’s a lot of great action and a sense of urgency.  It’s a great read.
Thank you to Tyndale House for providing me with a complimentary e-copy through Netgalley.  All opinions are my own.
The Line of Duty series:
Book 1:  Crisis Shot
Book 2:  Lethal Target
Book 3:  Cold Aim (coming out July 2019)
Police Chief Tess O'Rourke has a problem brewing in her small town community, Drugs! With the legalization of marijuana she has pot growers moving into the area and they are not settling in well with the rest of the community. As a matter of fact they are rude, pushy, and demanding. They want people to see things their way. They are not tolerant of those who see things differently.

On top of that Tess has a teenager's death to deal with. Was it drug related, medically related or maybe something more sinister?

Add on to this her own personal issues to deal with and her anger at God and you have a very compelling an interesting story. Tess will have to grapple with her feelings about the young widowed Pastor who lives in her community and deals with loss and tragedy much differently than she does.

While she harbors bitterness and anger over her loss, Pastor Oliver moves on with life through his trust in Christ and belief that God is good. How will these two attitudes clash? How will they drag two people together?

Add on to that more criminal elements moving into her community and you have an excellent story line and a good book to add to your book club because you definitely will have issues to talk through. This is a great study in human interaction, peoples reactions to loss and how they reconcile their loss with their view of God.

Enjoy!
I have found a new favourite suspense author!
This is the first novel I’ve read by Janice Cantore and I was impressed, and hung on every page until the very end. It’s a challenge to find authors as intriguing as John Grisham when it comes to Christian fiction suspense or legal thrillers. Now mind you, I haven’t read a lot of Christian fiction suspense but the little I have, I’ve been disappointed to say the least (except for one other author).
Lethal Target is the second novel in her newest series. It peaked my interest as it dealt with issues surrounding the legalization of pot, and with my home country recently adopting legalization it hit a nerve. The story follows Police Chief Tess O’Rourke who hails from California. She’s settled into her job in Rogue’s Hollow, but soon her world is turned upside down with all kinds of crazy stuff! Most of the action centres around a legal pot farm operating within Rogue Hollow.
I didn’t figure out much of the twists and turns that were thrown to the reader – like who was responsible for the murder of a young teen, and why the Police Chief was being framed for murder. I had many “what?!” moments. It was quite satisfying!
Even the faith aspect played a huge role throughout the novel but it wasn’t overdone and it was quite appropriate for the times it appeared. The pastor of their local church plays a significant role throughout the story but Tess is faced with questions of faith, wrestles with her past, and remembers her Dad who had an incredibly strong faith as he served as a police officer. What I like about how faith is presented, is that it really demonstrates that belief in God is an individual choice and that just because your parents were strong Christians and attend church doesn’t mean you have a relationship with God.
I highly recommend this novel for a page-turner-sit-on-the-edge-of-your-seat-kind-of-read.
I received an ecopy from the publisher through NetGalley. All opinions expressed are my own.
Can you slay your dragon? Police Chief Tessa O' Rourke has found a home in Rogue's Hollow, she has made friends and it is time to unpack the boxes. Tess knows that the death of a local boy will test her skills especially as they don't have an suspects. Did he really do drugs or has the scene been staged? Tess knows that the pot farm isn't winning any friends with the locals but she has no grounds to search the place. Just when she thought things couldn't get worse someone from her past comes to town to destroy whatever peace she has. And he is making sure that everyone knows that she is a corrupt cop that doesn't deserve to be chief. Tess can't understand why the town has turned against her and that they believe some of the lies. She knows that she can trust Pastor Olivier Macpherson as he always has her back. He is worried about Tess as she is holding some much anger inside her from her father's and he hopes that he can help her. He knew thought that after his wife's death that he would ever feel something for another woman again but he has fallen for Tess. And she needs him more than ever as her worst enemy has just been murdered and left on her doorstep. Where can she go from here? She still needs to find out who killed the local man and now she needs to figure out who killed Hector? Will she be able to find the answers before she loses everything? Can Olivier find a way to tell her about his feelings before it is too late as he went looking for answers and found trouble instead? A great solid read. I think that we all have dragons to slay we just sometimes need help. I was lucky enough to receive a copy via Netgalley and the publishing house in exchange for my honest review.
So this is a first book for me by this author and I was not disappointed. This book had me on the edge of my seat wondering what was going to happen next. The use of drugs and how it impacts so many lives not just the users is very much talked about in this book. Towards the end when I thought the story was done I started to wonder what about..... don't worry if you get to the point to the author will surprise you with a huge shocker and its so worth it. I am not sure if its common with this author but if you are looking for a love story between the two main characters this is not the case. This book did not disappoint in the least and will have you guessing to the very end. I have not read the first book in the series but I plan to start that one soon, I can't wait to see what the author has plans for these characters.
“Lethal Target” by Janice Cantore is an exciting read!  Janice Cantore is one of my favorite romantic suspense author, and she continues to be!

This is Book 2 of The Line of Duty series.  This book continues with Tess as the main character.  It starts out with the murder of an eighteen year old.  Tess is wondering if the local pot farm could have some connections with the murder.  There is a lot of suspense and action with a little bit of romance thrown in.

I definitely recommend this book and all books that Janice Cantore writes.

I received this book from the publisher through NetGalley for my honest opinion.
'Her dad and Oliver both believed an all-powerful God ran the show.  Tess couldn't.'

This was my first Janice Cantore novel and it will not be my last. I only wish I had time to go back and read all her previous books.  This was a top-notch police drama in novel form.  No slack time, crisp, clear  and deftly written.  Tess O'Rourke is a fine police chief and her character is one full of integrity and honor, but flawed.  The pastor in the tale is a great character as well.  I enjoyed every minute.

*My thanks to the publisher for a copy of this book via Net Galley. All opinions here are my own.
If you love a good mystery that keeps you guessing, this is the book for you.  Police Chief Tess O’Rourke moves from Long Beach to Rogue Hollow to enjoy small town life and escape her problems. When a familiar face from her past comes to her small town, things heat up quickly.  Tess struggles to make sense of the drug problems and the contentiousness with her citizens.  Working closely with Pastor Oliver Macpherson she is determined to discover how an eighteen year old died.  She becomes a target with accusations flying throughout the community.  Tensions are high as she gets closer to finding the answers.
This is the second book in this series.  This book was slow to start but did pick up later in the book.  The names were confusing but overall I did enjoy the last part of the book

Disclaimer: I receive complimentary books from NetGalley. I am not required to write a positive review and the opinions here are strictly my own.  I have not received any compensation for this or any review.   I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255
Janice Cantore always delivers a good book and such is the case with Lethal Target.  Great plot and characters development.  Kept me glued to the book.  I highly recommend this book.
Police Chief Tess, the drug problem from a year ago she thought was over. Today of all days, not of her birthday, but of death, when she receives a call. Eighteen year old boy, bags found, and an open screen, mother and a friend said no, he wasn’t into drugs. Pot farms are sprouting up, as well as some questionable people show up at the farms, till she becomes a target. Oliver as Tess faced him, she saw his strength, his compassion,knowing  now that God was real for her. I thought the story had a nice flow to the story. More of knowing where Tess is in her life, with her job, and her thoughts about Oliver. Enjoyable, and one didn’t need to read the first book.
Given ARC by Net Galley and Tyndale for my voluntary review and my honest opinion.
LETHAL TARGET by JANICE CANTORE is a fast paced mystery suspense novel with a good Christian message. The plot is well worked out and the characters are believable. It is altogether a really good read.
Tess O'Rourke is the police chief in Rogue's Hollow, where she is faced with the recent legalization of the growing and selling of cannabis, the murder of a young boy which seems drug related, the trumped up stories that are circulating about her in the small town community, and fibally her being accused of murder.
Her father's murder has caused her to turn her back on the God he served. This is contrasted with the way her friend Oliver still trusts in the Lord, even though he lost his wife under terrible circumstances. When all these things hit her we wonder if she will finally turn to the only One who can see her through.
Although Lethal Target is the second book in the series, I have read it as a stand alone without any problems.
I was given a free copy of the book by NetGalley from Tyndale House Publishers. The opinions in this review are completely my own.
Police Chief Tess O'Rourke is back battling against drugs again in this second book of the series. Since the author's former career was in the police force, actions and events ring very real. Tess does not have an easy time at her job since her past has followed her to Rogue Hollow.  Other familiar characters from Crisis Shot, the first book in the series are also included in this story. Plus there may be a romance brewing. I guess fans will have to wait for the next installment. Highly recommended!
Disclosure: I have not read book one in this series.

Overall, while this is a very technically sound and interesting story with a great plot, I felt like it lacked a bit of "heart." The main characters seemed a bit one-dimensional to me, which, considering this is the second book in the series, I would have expected more depth. Tess just seemed to me like your typical cop character, and Oliver was just your typical pastor character. I never really truly "liked" the characters because they just seemed so flat to me. As I've said before, characters make or break a story for me, and I'm afraid that's why this was only a mediocre book for me personally. The storyline kept me intrigued and I was constantly guessing as to who our villain was. It was definitely very suspense-y and I was quite literally on the edge of my seat during the final climax. Having not read the first book in the series, I was still able to follow along very well, despite missing pieces of the story from book one. The faith element was well done, and I almost teared up a bit in one scene.

All in all, while not my favorite, this was an interesting suspense read and I will be checking out book one.