Cover Image: Beautiful Bad

Beautiful Bad

Man I did not like this book at all!  I know it will be really successful, but I am tired of the unreliable narrator and domestic fiction.  I need to remember to stay away from these books even if the synopsis sounds enticing.

Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for allowing me to read and review this book.
Maddie and Ian have a seemingly beautiful life, almost twenty years together after meeting while visiting Maddie's friend Jo abroad. After an accident while camping, Maddie begins to construe things that have happened that may not be accidental.
This book is great! Would definitely recommend. Thanks so much to NetGalley and the publisher for the ARC.
Man I really need to stop getting sucked in my the descriptions of "psychological thrillers". I don't find them that thrilling. The characters are mostly obnoxious and unlikable.  It also felt like, because the author spent time in Bulgaria, she wanted to overly describe that area of the story, and it just dragged on and on.  Maybe I'm just tired of the unreliable narrator trope. I definitely have friends that will eat this up. But not for me.

Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for allowing me to read and review this book.
This psychological thriller didn’t nab me from the beginning but by the end, it had me.  It starts with a 911 call about a gruesome murder scene, though the details of who has been murdered is a tale that isn’t revealed until much later.

Intersecting timelines tell us about Maddie, her husband Ian and her newborn baby, Charlie. We also learn, in another “lifetime”, of Jo, Maddie’s best friend and their time in the U.K., where they met Ian.

I enjoyed the book but found the multiple timelines and multiple narratives to be confusing at times.
This thriller was amazing. I couldn’t put it down. The authors writing style was different, but I enjoyed it.
Any book with a beginning as gripping as this one is sure to be good one - and Ward kept my attention from that 911 until we discover exactly what happened at the very end.

A story that takes us through the entire relationship of a couple, Maddie and Ian, from how they met to their years together.

Disturbing and dark, this book will take any reader on a wild ride, you'll definitely be anxious to get to the end!
This thriller was a slow burn for me.  It had plenty of twist and turns, they were just slow to get there.
Stay with it if that is your type of read it does have a good plot.
I really struggled to get through this one.  I wasn't very interested in the story lines set in Eastern Europe and with so much detail and wordage put into these parts, the book really dragged.  The book started off really interesting and grabbed you but then got lost and swayed away from the investigation on what happened that night in their Kansas home.
A gripping, suspenseful tale! Some parts felt a bit drawn out to me, but I was still invested because I wanted to know what happened at the end.
“The perfect marriage leads to the crime”

This book had a interesting plot and perfect dysfunctional characters. I’m slight bummed with the ending but overall it was good.

Thank you to the publisher for this arc in exchange for honest review.
I read one review that said that avid thriller readers may be underwhelmed and I think that's pretty spot on.  It was just. too. slow.  And the characters were all so terrible to each other.
Thank you Park Row Publishing and Netgalley for this ARC in exchange for an honest review. Beautiful Bad is a captivating debut psychological thriller. Maddie and Ian meet in southeastern Europe, fall in love, and move to Kansas (her hometown) to raise their son, Charlie. After a mysterious accident while camping Maddie starts going to therapy where she gradually reveals what her life is really like. The "Day Of The Killing" begins with a 911 call bringing the police to the house. Who is the victim and who is responsible for the murder? One thing I did not enjoy was that the story moves backward in time. It gets rather confusing. However, the story is filled with extremely well-crafted characters. Many twists and turns with a shocking ending. I look forward to Annie Ward's next novel
First, let me thank netgalley and the publishers for approving my request for an early release of this book.  All reviews of my netgalley books can be found on goodreads and youtube.  Please be sure to check out the links attached.
A psychological thriller about murder and marriage seemed right up my ally, but overall this book was not for me.  I’m not a big fan of the different perspectives and timelines as I tend to loose my interest.  I felt like this book tried to do too much. I’d suggest looking for something else.
BEAUTIFUL BAD by Annie Ward was archived before I can give it a proper review. I will try again at a later date. .
I am super late to the party in reviewing this book.  Somehow a number of books got "lost" in my kindle.  Wow!! This book was amazing.  Fantastic debut book.  I could not put it down and the ending left me guessing! Thank you for the advanced copy.
I received a copy of this from Netgalley in exchange for my honest review.   This book has an alarming start and a crazy end.  At times I thought it was sort of drawn out but I stuck with it and am so glad I did.    I can’t wait to talk about this with my friends as I think we will all have differing opinions on this one.
Beautiful Bad by Annie Ward was a riveting read.  I read it in 24 hours.  Maddie and Ian are both working internationally and met at a party.  Maddie is a traveling writer, and Ian is a bodyguard in war ravished countries.  Two decades later Maddie and Ian are married and living a suburban life with their son, Charlie.  After an accident during a family camping trip, Maddie is shaken and starts to see a psychologist.  During her visits to the psychologist, she reveals more and more about her life and fears at home with Ian. Has Ian’s job damaged him so completely that his family fears him?   Is he a danger to himself and others?

Beautiful Bad was an unexpected, amazing read.  Told through multiple perspectives over two timelines, this book had a whopper of an ending.  Well-written with morally gray characters and suspense that brings you to the edge of your seat but makes you sit there for a little bit, Beautiful Bad is a great read.  Ward does an amazing job with the twist and turns…and then more twists.

I received a review copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley for my honest review. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.

Synopsis from Netgalley/Publisher
There are two sides to every story… And every person.

Maddie and Ian’s love story began with a chance encounter at a party overseas, while she was a travel writer visiting her best friend, Jo. Now almost two decades later, married with a beautiful son, Charlie, they are living the perfect suburban life in Middle America. But when a camping accident leaves Maddie badly scarred, she begins attending writing therapy, where she gradually reveals her fears about Ian; her concerns for the safety of their young son; and the couple’s tangled and tumultuous past with Jo.

From the Balkans to England, Iraq to Manhattan, and finally to an ordinary family home in Kansas, sixteen years of love and fear, adventure and suspicion culminate in The Day of the Killing, when a frantic 911 call summons the police to the scene of a shocking crime.
I tried several times, but I just couldn’t finish this one. It was just too much of a slow burn with too much back story to be a true “thriller” to me.