Ruthless Magic

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 01 Jun 2018

*thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for this free copy in exchange for an honest review*

This book is sort of a combo of The Hunger Games, Harry Potter, and The Program. I really liked this concept and I can’t wait to read the rest of the series!
This really isn't for me. I tried to live it. I wanted to live it, but I just couldn't engage with them story or characters.
Unfortunately this book didn’t appeal to me after I picked it up. I’m sure it will be well loved by others, however.
I would highly recommend this book, the YA readers of fantasy/magic/wizardry that I work with crave books likes this. The interwoven characters bring together the themes and subjects of power, corruption, magic. prejudices and conspiracy and the difficult lessons of understanding good vs. evil.
Read the first couple of chapters but it just didn't hold my attention. I may come back to it in the future as it may have just been my mood at the time, but not for me at this time.
I couldn’t get past the first few chapters. I really wanted to get into this book and finish it for a good review but I couldn’t force my way through the beginning. Too many different points of view, too much back story. It sounds like a great story, just not for me.
What an amazing read. I lovd it. I was not expecting anything great but found myself captivated by it. The world in witch it brings us is fantastic and i would love to read more.
An interesting read. I wasn't too sure what I expected from this book but I did enjoy what I found. The characters were likeable, the plot line evolved in an engaging way and the writing style made it quick and easy to read. I'd be curious to see what Megan Crewe writes next!
Predictable YA fantasy but surprisingly I was super engaged. I was in the mood for a hunger games type story and I got exactly that with this book.
ARC from Netgalley

Magic certainly is ruthless in the book.  It reminded me a lot of the Hunger Games.  I'm looking forward to seeing where the author plans to take the series next.
Rocio and Finn two best friends waiting to hear if they get to continue to train together or have their magic dampaned. Ruthless Magic is a really fun and exciting book to read. I look forward to future installments.
I found this book to be pretty boring and I was disinterested. The two main characters seemed like they'd do some cool stuff, but I was disappointed by the lack of their development. The writing itself was good, but it definitely could have been a better story.
Rocio and Finn are from opposite ends of the magical world, but they both decide to risk the Mage's Exam in order to prove their worth and entitlement to magic. However, neither of them has any idea just how dangerous and ruthless the test are. As the exam progresses, they learn that there is more to the test than they thought. There are so many lies and secrets about what actually happens even if they do survive and become champions.
The author immerses you right into this world of magic and adventure, it's full of action and suspense. After reading the book I now know the significance of the title!
I'm not sure I would understand everything if I had not read the prequel and highly recommend reading Magic Unmasked.
Ruthless Magic was an absolutely engrossing read! I had picked it up after a series of lackluster and not as engaging books, and was instantly sucked in to the story thanks to Megan Crewe's compelling writing. The story follows Finn and Rocio as they navigate an unforgiving world, each trying to not only survive, but to win. Ultimately, I was satisfied with the ending (despite wanting more!) because the characters faced actual moral and physical consequences. This wasn't another book where everything turns out just fine for our protagonists just because they are the protagonists, which is something that YA desperately needs more of.

Overall, Megan Crewe brought a fresh take on a familiar genre to the table and I was here for it.
Ruthless Magic was my first title by Megan Crewe, and unfortunately I wasn't able to get into it. The writing didn't pull me in or make me feel like I was a part of the story, and I found myself getting distracted by outside things as I was trying to read. I tried to read it a couple of times with no success, so sadly I have to mark it into the DNF pile. I do hope to try another of Megan's titles in the future and hope to fall into them better than I did with this one.
Ruthless Magic is a fast paced, dystopian read. I honestly hadn't been sure what to expect going in, and I've heard a lot of people compare it to the Hunger Games. (I felt this too, and I still can't put my finger on exactly why it feels that way?!) The world building was what really drew me in and had it not been for that I'm not sure I would have enjoyed it quite as much, as the changing POV's often threw me off par.

My thanks to NetGalley and Another World Press for giving me a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
I read this for a blog tour, and am so glad I found it! Such a fun read and I loved the magic and characters in this story!
What an amazing book! Magic is in the world and only the selected few are allowed to use it. For the others they must fight for it.
      After graduating highschool those with strong talents are supposed to go on to college where they can develop their magic. Everyone else has two choices; allow their magic to be taken or enter a contest that can be deadly.
       A book about friendship and finding the strength inside.
Ruthless Magic was a really nice surprise for me – a pretty little gem I found on Netgalley. I started the book with no expectations and ended up liking it a lot. The story has a dystopian feel to it but I lean more towards it being YA Fantasy. Magic is now a fact of the world since mages have come out. They now live among humans with their own separate culture, following the laws set by the Confederation. The authority and strict ruling of the Confederation is what gives the story that dystopian feel.

Finn and Rocío have both chosen to undertake the brutal Mage exam and by “brutal”, I mean the exam is violent, cruel, absolutely ruthless. This part has a distinct Hunger Games feel to it that wasn’t bad. I liked the main characters, Finn and Rocío, a lot and the story was written in such a way that I was able to connect with both of them—to sympathize with their plights, understand their motives and reasoning behind their choices.

Rocío was my favorite. You just couldn’t help but like the girl and feel for her. She tried to do the right thing under pressure, to be stronger and break out of the mold the Confederation pushed her in. Finn was an intriguing character too, showing a pleasant face to the world when he had his own worries and issues to deal with. They were both complex, complicated characters who added a lot of value to the story.

The other characters played their role well and the story idea was a very good one which kept me in suspense for what would happen next. However, I did have a question about the human faction. There were hints and some backstory given about the humans’ reactions over the mages coming out ‘party’ though this was a tiny part of the story. The main part of the story focused on the Mages’ exam. But I hope to see some interactions with the human faction in the next books.

The romance was slow and meaningful, fitting in perfectly with the story. The best part for me, was the author’s writing. This is my first book by Megan Crewe and her writing brought the story to life. I could visualize the magical spells and enchantments. The flow of words was beautiful and a pleasure to read. I can’t wait to read the prequel, Magic Unmasked, and the next book in this series.
Meh, this book was fine. It actually felt like 2 books mashed together. The first part is the two main characters waiting and learning if they will get into the magical college to continue learning or have their magic snuffed out. Both decide to declare for the Exam to try and keep/earn their way into College. Then the next part is the actual Exam. So there is all sorts of introspection and learning about the world in the first part and then the second part is the actual Exam which gets all Hunger Games-esque and the participants realize how terrible their society pretty much is. I sort of liked this book, but had a hard time believing that the Confederation could keep how bad the Exam is and what it is actually recruiting for under wraps for so long. It just doesn’t make sense to me. And of course the two main characters are going to fight “the man” in their own ways now that they made it out of the exam. *Eye roll*