Ruthless Magic

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 01 Jun 2018

<b>I received an ARC from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review</b>

Ruthless Magic is a lot of fun and has some really great characters. A brief overview of the book is young magic users are either accepted by the Confederation or not. The ones who aren't can accept being dampened (losing their powers) or take the exam to become a Champion. As one would expect, the exam is not a straightforward test and pits students against various trials of magic, and very dangerous ones at that.

The story follows two main protagonists, Finn and Rocio, and alternates views each chapter. I was worried Finn would be the great White hope, a magic user who is...

See Full Review

Thanks to Megan Crewe, NetGalley, and the publisher for providing me with an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

True to the advertising, Ruthless Magic is a great mix between Harry Potter and the Hunger Games. For fans of these two series, this book is an obvious next choice.

I fell in love with our two main characters, Rocio & Finn, from page one. The story is told in alternating chapters from each of their perspectives, presenting a unique and fresh view from different angles and insights. There is plenty of magical casting going on with an element of survival of the fittest mixed in pretty heavily.

The novel surpassed my expectations on many levels and I have already...

See Full Review
This book reminded me of the Hunger Games a little but with magic. I read the prequel to this series and I thought there would be characters I knew in this book but this book opened up the world more for me to explore. This book was an exciting read for me and I enjoyed meeting more characters. *This book was given to me for free at my request and I provided this voluntary review.*
3.5 With a Hunger Games vibe, this YA magical fantasy is about teens who weren't Chosen (for the college of mages) having to battle others for an opportunity to make it. But not all is what it seems. I loved the characters of Finn and especially Rocio, and the look at class and culture differences in this alternate reality where magic users have come out of hiding. The ending didn't quite live up to the rest of the book, and that made me hesitant about reading the next (I'm assuming it's a trilogy.)
Thank you to Another World Press and NetGalley for an advance copy in exchange for an honest review.

Ruthless Magic is kind of a mix between the Divergent series, Mockingjay series and Harry Potter all rolled into one. We have kids from old magic families and kids from new magic families all vying to be the best in order to be accepted into the College of Magic, to further their studies in the art of magic. Those not accepted have the choice to have their magic abilities softened or they can declare for the Mage's Exam. If they don't make it through the exam they will have their magic burned from them.

I enjoyed this book and will be on the lookout for the next in this series.
If you are looking for an incredible magic tale then look no further. Ruthless Magic was intense, captivating, and most definitely enchanting! I couldn’t put this down. Not only did I find the cover to be utterly beautiful but the writing was brilliantly thought out! And I am so grateful that it came with a link to download the “prequel” as well! So much of this book world to enjoy and I know I enjoyed every page and moment!

‘RUTHLESS MAGIC’ BY MEGAN CREWE IS ‘HARRY POTTER’ AND ‘THE HUNGER GAMES’ LOVE CHILD

Don’t let the title of this review fool you. Ruthless Magic, the first in the Conspiracy of Magic series by Megan Crewe, is more than the books that came before it, inspired it, or drew your eye to it. It’s the college exams from hell with crazy trials, twists & turns, an OTP I can get behind and you should too, friendships that are just as important as the romantic relationships, and representation that feels honest and well researched.

I know this seems like a lot and you’re probably thinking that there’s no way that one book can do so much. It can. And it does.

First off, the story of Ruthless...

See Full Review

Ruthless Magic by Megan Crewe was… awesome. There’s so many things about it to like.

The magic system was unique, but not so different that it didn’t make sense. I could relate, even if I can’t use magic (YET!) Spells, or ‘chantments as they’re called, are all done with the voice. Classically trained kids have a lexicon of Latin verses to chant/hum/sing, but we also meet a bunch of new-magic kids who sing, rap, or beatbox their ‘chantments into being.

We follow around a small group of characters, but only read the perspective of two. Finn, an old-magic privileged kid, and Rocio, a new-magic girl with immense amounts of power.

Most of the characters are done very well, but these two are...

See Full Review

This one reminded me of The Hunger Games only with Magic.

Basically, in Ruthless Magic's Dystopian world, Mages are in the open. They are known since the so-called Unveiling. And since then, The North American Confederation of Mages have been recruiting every 16 -year-old Novices across the country to be assessed. Some are Chosen and can join the Academy with no problems but most aren't and they can choose to take a certain exam that's said to be brutal and fatal but once they became a Champion you can enter the Academy with the chosen. Or they can just accept their fate and be Dampened (Magic is lessened into one note) instead of taking the exam and take the risk of being...

#RuthlessMagic #NetGalley
A great book for young adults who enjoy fantasy, magic, or even dystopian. The plot focuses of social class and the ability to practice magic. The series begins with this novel and I can't wait to read the next. The two main characters must work together against a setting that has been established for them to fail. It is a great novel that uses fantasy to reflect the societal disavantages that we can reflect on in today's society,
A complete delightful surprised. I will definitely recommend it to other YA book lovers. This book deals with a lot of issues. I like the magic concept and it is fast paced and action packed. The characters are all interesting. Also, there are lessons that are relevant nowadays.
This story took a little bit to pick up. Which is understandable as this story has a depth to it that’s refreshing and unique. I love the characters and the non-stop action. This reminds me of Hunger Games in its rawness. An epic adventure in the making.

I’ve heard a lot of chat on the blogosphere about Ruthless Magic reading like a retread of The Hunger Games. And while there are elements of that in this story, it’s also so much more- and damn enjoyable, too.

From the start, Crewe imbues her magical world with a sense of wonder and excitement that matches anything in Harry Potter. This is a parallel world where people with magical abilities live alongside non-magical ‘Dulls’, in a world regulated by The North American Confederation of Mages. Every year, young Mages compete for places in the Academy, to secure their future. Those that don’t make it have their magical abilities ‘Dampened’, or taken away. Those that don’t accept it can...

See Full Review

First off, this book reminded me of a cross between The Crown’s Game by Evelyn Sky and Divergent or possibly Ender’s Game -in a really good way. It had two main POVs, Finn and Rocíco. I really loved Rocíco, she was such a determined and interesting character! Finn was great too, but he definitely shined more in the second half of the book -his humour showed a lot more. The beginning was a bit slow, but once we got to the trials (our two MCs have to compete in trials when for various reasons they can not go to magic school) things really picked up and got very interesting. I loved the trials/exams -the plot got quite interesting during them and I loved how brutal and vicious the trials got...

See Full Review
I have to say this book ended up being a lot better than I thought it would be. I wasn't expecting much at all, but what I got was a thrilling ride of a book that one might mistake as the love child of the Hunger Games and the Maze Runner, but with magicians! This book is really well paced and had quite intense moments which drive the plot along effortlessly. The character arcs are not bad either as they feel realistic and honest. This is an action-packed magical journey like nothing I have read before. This is not your average magic fiction story, instead, it is refreshingly original and I really do look forward to reading the other books in this series.

Ruthless Magic is told by Rocio and Finn, magicians have been revealed to the world, those who are not chosen see their powers reduced to a minimum unless they choose to take the magic exam. If they pass this exam they become champions and if they do not, the confederation of magic withdraws their powers entirely.
Finn comes from an old family of magicians, yet his powers are not extraordinary, despite everything he’s chosen but when he discovers that his best friend, who has much more talent than him but who doesn’t come from a family of magicians, was not chosen but will pass the exam, he makes the choice to follow her.
Rocio comes from a new magician's family but she lives in a...

See Full Review
I confess that I requsted this book on Netgalley largely because of its title and cover as I don't really read urban fantasy. However, it turned out to be a surprisingly good read with engaging characters and fast-paced narration. I would pay more attention to similar books in future!
Fast pace contemporary fantasy for teens, the story quickly builds to breakneck speed where you're constantly in a sense of worry for the characters' well being and the word ruthless in the title completely encompasses the the trials these teens are forced to endure for the right to keep their magic.  The story wraps up nicely but leaves the reader wanting to know where the characters and their relationships with one another go forward from here.  I'd highly recommend this book to older teens that are interested in contemporary fantasy and are ready for books with slightly more adult content where not everyone ends up living happily ever after.

This was a really fun novel! The magic was amazing, and the situations the characters find themselves in made me want to keep reading. It was definitely an unexpectedly delightful read, but I enjoyed it immensely either way.
Finn is from an old-magic family, but his magic doesn't stack up to his family's. Prisha is Finn's best friend and a new-magic mage. Rocio is also a new-magic mage with incredible power.
Finn is offered his dream, but realizes that he should have to fight to prove himself just as much as a new-magic mage. Prisha and Rocio are forced to follow the same path. The path they choose is nothing like what they expect though, and they are all forced to make...

3,5-4

I wasn't sure how to rate this one.The beginning was really confusing for me and it took me a lot time to understand what is happening but when it happened I start liking it! Many things happening in this story, it is filled with magic, action, adventure, and little romance.Which is great, and I find it interesting!