Chilly da Vinci

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 23 Jan 2019

This is a beautifully illustrated book about a penguin who tries to create a flying machine.  The illustrations are really what make this book worthwhile.  The story is cute, though at times somewhat disjointed.
Chilly da Vinci is a great picture book for teaching positive traits such as resourcefulness, curiosity, perseverance.
At face value, readers will get exactly what you might expect from this book. A penguin inventor who is dismissed by his peers. Very young readers will join Chilly in his dismay at his failures and anticipate his success. But this is more to this story than the hunt for a successful invention. We see Chilly's supreme confidence in his ideas and the way he is plagued by doubts after failure. We follow his whole thought process, the scientific principles behind each invention. We see how, in time, he learns from his failures. In a broad way it can serve as a simple introduction to the scientific method. Older readers may enjoy brainstorming their own inventions or improvements on Chilly's failures.
The illustrations for this title are stellar, but the story is disjointed and wandering. Graphic books like this need a tight storyline because there is very little text. Kids are also too savvy to believe eating a lot of kale gives you green tinted vision, or that a small penguin-sized flying machine is going to break a good sized  chunk off a an iceberg. I can see the reader leafing through this book once to experience the wonderful illustrations and then never opening it again.
While other penguins are off being penguins, Chilly da Vinci occupies his time by inventing. However, his newest invention proves to be a disaster, and soon him and the other penguins are stranded at sea with a hungry orca nipping at their short tails. Now, Chilly must invent his best contraption to date to get the penguins back home or risk becoming a sea snack.

Chilly is an adorable character as he learns the importance of perseverance during the creative process. Author and illustrator Jarrett Rutland has brilliantly captured his self-doubt by forcing him into such a high stakes situation. His frustration is palpable on the page in a way that makes the reader want to cheer him on.

There are a few small issues. Chilly deals with a bully named Vinnie, and the similarity between the names Vinnie and da Vinci creates a bump in the text in a couple of spots. The story is formed from Chilly’s notes, which can, at times, feel clunky and removed from the action. However, the story itself is sound and most of the text works.

Aside from Chilly himself, the star of this book is the illustrations. Rutland has created watercolor spreads with lush blues crashing against white that perfectly evoke the penguins’ habitat. When the action turns to Chilly’s designs, the palette dulls and the style shifts with allusions to Leonardo da Vinci’s own work. It’s highly effective.

This is a wonderful picture book examination of how some failures can lead to eventual success.
Chilly da Vinci is not your ordinary penguin. Always thinking of making a penguin’s life easier, he tries to invent contraptions that will bring his visions to life. But when his latest invention, a flying machine, crashes into the iceberg, separating Chilly and his friends from the rest of the penguins, he’ll have to think quickly to reverse his mistake.

Chilly da Vinci by J. Rutland is an adorable picture book filled with colorful and charming illustrations of Chilly and his friends. The themes of perseverance and believing in yourself are always good medicine for readers of all ages,

That being said, at times it felt like this book skipped over important parts of the story. I wish that they had taken more pages to tell the story more completely, and so that we could get to know Chilly and his friends a little better.

But Chilly da VInci is still a very likable book and a likable penguin. I do recommend it, just not whole-heartedly.

Galleys for Chilly da Vinci were provided by NorthSouth Books, through NetGalley, with many thanks.
An interesting book about a penguin named Chilly, who likes to invent things. I really liked the style of the illustrations of this book, which complimented the story.

Thank you to NorthSouth Books and NetGalley for an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.
I've always been fascinated with the figure of Leonardo Da Vinci, so it feels like this graphic novel was made for me!
Beautiful graphic novel for middle graders!
The art in it was so colorful and the story grabbed me and didn't let go and it's an imaginative way to guide kids towards history, a learning source! Definitely recommended!
Chilly is a penguin who loves to invent things! Unfortunately, his inventions do not always work as planned. His latest flying machine has put all the little penguins in peril as a whale tries to snack on them. But Chilly refuses to give up and learns from his mistakes (even when some of the penguins are telling him he should just give up). This is a sweet little story about passion and perseverance that is fun to read and not unbearably corny like some children's books about motivation can be.

The art style is very cute and features doodles that look much like Leonardo da Vinci's sketchbooks, with funny little scribbles following Chilly's mind.

This would be a good, inspiring tale for children, as well as a good introduction to Leonardo da Vinci!
Chilly DaVinci is a penguin who's not like the other penguins on his iceberg home, DaVinci. He builds things while the others do more "penguin" things. But his machines don't always work, so when his latest contraption cracks the ice and puts the group in danger from a nearby orca, Chilly knows he has to make things right. After some trial and error, and taunting from Chilly's nemesis, Vinnie, Chilly manages to save his group and land them safely back on Vinci. Chilly's inventions are inspired by Leonardo DaVinci's inventions, including a flying contraption. An afterword reminds readers to think about the process rather than the reward, like DaVinci, and to think outside the box (or 'berg).

Chilly DaVinci is inspired by Leonardo DaVinci, with sepia-toned blueprints paced with the penguins story. The storyline itself is a little jumbled, with side conversations and random thoughts popping up throughout the text; readers may tangent off on these. The watercolor-style artwork makes for cute penguins, and DaVinci is especially wide-eyed and rocks a pair of giant glasses, giving him an egghead-type of nerdy cool.

Better for independent reading than storytime, but fun for penguin fans.
Similar to Leonardo Da Vinci, Chilly the penguin is an inventor with a lot of failed inventions under his belt. The story is told through Chilly’s perspective as he attempts to create a flying machine. He’s eagerly hoping for his invention to be successful in order to gain recognition from his fellow penguin crew.

Though this book was a bit difficult to read digitally on my ipad (the pages and illustrations did not connect well), I would love to own a hard copy. Chilly Da Vinci was a comically adorable story with great illustrations and would make a excellent edition to any child's library.
This book has so much potential! I love the idea of Chilly DaVinci and all his inventions, but I found the book hard to follow. The illustrations were so cute, but I almost wonder if my advanced copy was missing some pages in the beginning. The notes presumably on the inventions were never identified as such, so I struggled to follow the thought processes. I look forward to a finished version, because I really think children will enjoy seeing many failed attempts being rewarded with a success at the end.
Goodreads Rating: 4 stars

Chilly is a penguin inventor in the vein of Leonardo da Vinci, experimenting with a variety of mechanical machines. One of his experiments goes awry, stranding him and some friends on an iceberg, with an orca circling and nibbling away at the berg. Will Chilly be able to save himself and his friends with his inventions in time?

The play on da Vinci's name isn't only cute, but also quite appropriate, seeing as da Vinci dreamed of flying and Chilly, a flightless baby penguin, does the same. His observations of the success and failures of his varying projects are short, journal-like notes, transposed over adorable full page illustrations. The end leaves are also clever, highlighting many of the quirks of da Vinci's own notebooks, such as backward handwriting samples and sketches of penguin-versions of some famous paintings and doodles.

The story as a whole wasn't incredibly captivating for me, as it really didn't feel to cohesive due to the note nature of the text. However, the illustrations are incredibly fun and there is a positive message about focusing on solving problems by observing the world around you and taking note of what things have worked in the past. It would be a fun addition to a science unit focused on mechanics and flight!

Chilly is pretty much the definition of adorkable, and I would love to see Chilly go on more adventures in the future date!
Cute story of Chilly the penguin, who inadvertently separates himself and his penguin crew from safety and must invent a machine to return them all to safety.  Along the way, he has several mishaps, but he doesn’t get discouraged and instead he demonstrates the perseverance and problem solving skills that we hope to see in our children.  I enjoyed the da Vinci references, which will be a bonus to adults sharing this as a read aloud with the kids in their lives, but might be lost on some children.  The author’s note at the end helps clarify the da Vinci inspiration.  The illustrations are engaging and detailed, and will have kids giggling over the penguins’ antics!  Recommended as a picture book addition and read aloud for 2nd grade classrooms and up,
It was an interesting read. I enjoyed how the story was built on trials and errors, it was humorous and at the same time showed perseverance. I'm not sure where Chilly found all the material to build his stuff, but I'm happy he succeeded to save the penguins. Hopefully, they'll stop to annoy him after that. The art was cute and I liked the fact the author used cold colors for the usual adventure and paper colors for the projects.
Today, with Christmas fast approaching and temperatures in the Northern Hemisphere plummeting as winter gets underway, I’m reviewing a book that’s set in a suitably snowy landscape.

Chilly the penguin lives on an iceberg known as Vinci. While the other penguins do normal “penguin” things, Chilly loves to invent machines – with limited success. When one of his machines goes horribly wrong, shooting him off on a chunk of ice with several of his fellow penguins, Chilly has to think hard to get them back home to Vinci before they’re eaten up by a hungry orca.

The references to Leonardo da Vinci continue throughout the book, not just in the title and the beautiful cover image, and older readers will delight in spotting them. Like in the case of the real da Vinci, Chilly’s inventions often fail. But his enthusiasm and motivation are insuppressible, as he tries out one crazy idea after another.

The book is written partly as Chilly’s journal entries, a format that feels quite appropriate for an inventor, reminding the reader still further of Leonardo da Vinci.  The highly textured use of colour adds extra depth to the illustrations. The pictures of Chilly in particular are both adorable and ingenious.

A delightful story, full of humorous elements, from the “gakkering” of the other penguins to Chilly’s little side notes in his journal. I would highly recommend this book for young penguin fans and inventors alike!
I love penguins! And penguins that are inventors are even better! Chilly is an adorable penguin that seems to cause as much trouble with his experiments as you'd expect from a penguin inventor. The drawings are adorable and the tid bits of the story are fun. I feel like the author was torn between his adult readers and his young audience and there was a misstep somewhere. Needless to say, if I had a child, they would be getting this book because: penguins, inventor penguins.
Chilly da Vinci by Jarrett Rutland is a picturebook that is currently scheduled for release on December 4 2018. While others do “penguin” things, Chilly da Vinci is a self-declared inventor penguin. He builds machines that don’t work as intended, at least not yet! Can his inventing solve the problem, that he just might have caused.

Chilly da Vinci is a cute picturebook. I love the artwork, the penguins are very cute and the yellow/brown paper hinting at Leonardo da Vinci's sketches add a great touch. Chilly's efforts and persistence is another great aspect of the story. His first invention, and second, and third, all cause trouble instead of meeting Chilly's hopes for them. I think showing the invention processes and how much Chilly needed to be himself while not liking how others often treated him because of it is important for readers of all ages to understand. I thought the story could have been a little more involved, or more focused on one or two of the inventions. I liked the illustrations, the animals were cute and the use of yellowish brown paper for the inventions was a nice touch. I liked the perseverance and effort of Chilly, and the discussion about being yourself and empathy that this book might inspire. I just never really got invented in the story, it felt like something was missing. Not that I know what was lacking, if I did I would be making the big bucks, or at least bucks, for all this book reading.
This is a book that I thought would really work well for me. Loosely (very loosely) based on Leonardo da Vinci's life and inventions, Chilly da Vinci tells the story of a penguin whose invention accidentally puts him and a few of his friends in danger. He then has to create something else to solve their dilemma and reunite them safely with the rest of the penguins.

There was something about the story that just didn't flow for me. At times, I almost felt like there were pages missing. For example, Chilly might make a comment, and I wouldn't be sure what he was referring to. There were also a few editing issues, including one where an extra word completely changed the meaning of a sentence, and another where a dangling participle compared a penguin (not his soft landing) to snowflakes:

Like snowflakes, I used air currents to ease down onto the 'berg.

I guess that book I read the other day, Don't Dangle Your Participle, could be valuable to adults as well as kids!

It was neat to see all the little hints tying Chilly to Leonardo. But, ultimately, the story was too thin and a little too scattered for my taste. With a bit more editing to tighten it up, I think it could be better.
It is a silly book about a penguin who is an inventor. It teaches not to give up for failures.

Thanks to netgalley and the publisher for the eARC