Chilly da Vinci

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 23 Jan 2019

I thought this book was really cute. It follows a penguins with big dreams so loves to invent but it doesn’t always go as planned. My kids loved the simple story and beautiful pictures.
Cute concept and relevant— growth mindset examples that are fun and can connect back to a real human of you want to. My copy had formatting that wasn’t complete / confusing so I don’t feel like I can honestly rate it just yet!
I loved this story of Chilly da Vinci, modeled after Leonardo da Vinci, meant to teach little ones about not giving up after a first try.  Chilly, who-like Leonardo- is an inventor, fails several times, as did Leonardo, before creating the perfect machine to save him and his friends.
The illustrations were very neat in this book. I can see the attraction this book will have for newer readers.
The illustrations in this book are GORGEOUS. They're these beautiful watercolor looking creations of the little inventor penguin and his penguin buddies and their nemesis, Plumpy Fin the Orca. I only wish the story would have been written in as lovely a manner as the illustrations... The words are just very stiff and don't flow well or tell a good story. The pictures tell a great story about an inventor penguin whose inventions have an alarming tendency to fail, but he keeps trying and in the end is able to fix one of his first contraptions to save himself and his friends. I just wish it had been told in a more accessible, kid-friendly (kid-interesting?) way.

I found myself making up a story to go along with the pictures when reading this to my 2- and 4-year-old in order to keep them engaged. I did keep one line as written, though:
"NOTE: I did not become whale poop. I need a break."
Chilly da Vinci is a funny picture book that doesn't hesitate to take advantage of a good pun! It is a fun story about troubleshooting and persistence when facing a problem even against all odds, but told in a fun way children are sure to love.
Chilly doesn't like to do penguin things but he is a penguin that everyone is going to love. He uses his mistakes and experiences to make things better for his icebound friends.  You will shiver with excitement when you read the ending!  Go Chilly!!
An enchanting story of a bird that will just not give up.  One of his crazy inventions strands him and some friends on a small iceberg, and maybe one of his inventions can help them escape.  The illustrator does a masterful job with mixing drawings that remind a reader of Leonardo Da Vinci works, and the fun of a crazy penguin story.  All over a fun book that kids will want to read again and again.
I really enjoyed this book. Following along the inventive mistrials of Chilly da Vinci was interesting and fun. I thought the Author's Note at the end was informational and added an important bit of historical reference. I like that Chilly kept his "cool" and persevered. The only part I did not like was the slight self-deprecating tone Chilly had after each failure.
I read this with my five year old nephew and he adored Chilly da Vinci. The illustrations are priceless. Thank you, NetGalley!
I was unable to finish this book because it downloaded with the pages out of order. I look forward to reading the published copy to get the story.
“Chilly da Vinci” was unique and fun. I loved the illustrations and the fact that it was based on a real person.
The illustrations in this book are amazing! The story of Chilly da Vinci is a little cheesy but endearing, nonetheless. This would be a great book to recommend to STEM and STEAM teachers and would go great with lessons on perseverance and inventions. Kids might not get the play on words, but they will enjoy the humor, characters, and the overall story.
While I loved this book and thought it was adorable, I would definitely not recommend reading it on the kindle.  But the illustrations were awesome and the story enjoyable.
Chilly is a penguin with a knack for designing machines, like his last namesake. He’s got a ton of self-doubt, which is no surprise considering his contraptions are always failing. He’s also pretty clueless in the way of many scientists: “Why does he feel the need to throw sea junk at me? He’s wasting supplies.” It’s easy to tell because the story is told diary-style; the artwork adds to this by being in the color and style of an old yellowing journal. He’s got a loud doubter but also fans, as one young glasses-wearing penguin wants him to sign his flipper.
It’s a bit weird seeing all this technology, albeit steampunk-looking rather than modern, amongst the penguins and white Antarctic landscape.
“It’s official: my flying machines stink like rotten orca blubber in the midday sun.”
“My pullets didn’t pulley. My engine didn’t engine.”
My favorite of his inventions has to be the night-vision goggles.
This is listed as children’s fiction, but it feels like it’s reaching for an older audience.
ARC Copy...very humorous-penguin take on Leonardo Da Vinci (who really was inventive-creative minded but...plans didn't always work out) and liken the theme of no matter how plans turn (or there is a hungry predator after your crew) keep on trying-improving plans.
Chilly Da Vinci is a cute book about an inventor penguin. Stuck on an iceberg with other penguins, Chilly tries to come up with inventions to get them back home to their larger iceberg. Despite numerous failures he keeps on trying and in the end succeeds in saving them all. A great book for teaching kids about perseverance. I loved the illustrations.
Oh, Chilly da Vinci! What an adorable and fun book! The illustrations alone made this children's book a winner in my books. Unique and colorful, the illustrations were honestly stunning, and  I could stare at them all day. The story on the other hand, was a tad  confusing, though that may have been how it downloaded on my device. I think it'll be worth it to check it out once printed.

A huge thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for sending me a digital copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. I truly appreciate it!
The quality of the illustrations of this children's book about a penguin inventor were first-rate. Chilly da Vinci, is loosely based on the life of inventor, Leonardo da Vinci, and shows that process of an inventor is full of failures and new beginnings. I am not really sure of the audience for this book, since the writing was kind of old for younger kids and a bit clunky in places. I applaud the message.
by Jarrett Rutland
Beautifully illustrated in a scrapbook/sketchbook design inspired by Leonardo da Vinci, Chilly's story invites us to look at old problems in a new way.

5/5 stars.

I recieved this book through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.