Grace and Fury

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 17 Jul 2018

I lost my reading momentum on this one.  It sort of reminded me of a YA/updated version of "The Other Boleyn Girl".  I don't think it's intrinsically flawed, but I do think it is derivative of other books out there.  It's really going to depend on how much the reader is keen on the dueling historical sisters genre.
I really enjoyed this book. It was just one of those really good, straight-forward fantasy books that had such an interesting plotline. The fact that the author made a world where women can get to sent to horrible prison like places just because she is caught reading was brilliant considering WE WERE READING THIS BOOK! The author grew up in my area and I got to meet her at a signing at my library, it was really cool! I cannot want to read the next book!!
*thank you so much to Netgalley and the publisher for this free copy in exchange for an honest review*

This booook. Guys this book! The dynamics between the sisters is enthralling and the story telling is amazing. I can’t wait to grab a copy of the sequel and see what sort of trouble Serina & Nomi get into.
This book alternates chapters between Serena and Nomi, sisters living in a world where women are decidedly second class citizens.  Not allowed to learn to read, to make choices about their own life, etc.  Sadly like many parts of this world, even now.

Both are strong women in their own right, though I have to admit I liked Serena a tad more than Nomi, though poor Nomi was COMPLETELY out of her element at the palace so I don't blame her.  Her ending was a bit sadder than Serena's, but their stories dovetail nicely and I am really looking forward to the next book to see how the story progresses.

Definitely recommended for YA readers, especially if they are looking for strong female characters.  3.5 stars, rounded down to 3, because my heart is breaking for poor Nomi.  I want better for her!  I think the next book will fulfill that desire though, so I will be reading that one with high expectations!

Thank you NetGalley and Little, Brown Books for Young Readers for an eARC copy of this book to read and review.
Dueling sisters is something I can relate to in a cellular level. Like anatomically. Added fantasy elements only makes it better.
Once I started reading, I couldn't put it down! So good, I actually read it twice already!
Thanks to NetGalley and Hachette Book Group for the opportunity to read and review Grace and Fury by Tracy Banghart!
Serina and her family await Signor Pietro to make his choice of one of the community’s young women who will travel to Bellaqua, join others from different provinces, and vie for the opportunity to be a Grace for the royal Heir. Sera’s mother is thrilled when she’s the one who’s chosen, but her siblings Nomi and Renzo seem to feel otherwise. Sera’s unsure how her father feels. Sera has learned to be happy with the lack of options given to women in Viridia but Nomi openly hates the idea.
The Heir, Malachi, chooses three Graces every three years. This will be his first year of choosing Graces. The Superior has forty Graces and everyone assumes he will step down and let the Heir rule Viridia. At the ball, Nomi wanders into a palace library and notices a beautiful copy of the book Renzo taught her to read with, when they were younger. Reading is forbidden for women but Nomi loves to read. She slips this book into her clothes and as she’s going back to the ball, runs straight into the Heir and his younger brother Asa. The Heir demands to know what she’s doing and she coyly answers that she was using the restroom and if he needs it she points to where it is. Nomi can’t fathom how she could have been so rude to the Heir and she’s sure she’s going to be sent home. Sera is the only young woman the Heir dances with at the ball. He makes his decision afterwards, choosing two women and then Nomi instead of Sera! Grace and Fury is fast paced and full of intrigue! This magnificent book twists and turns with suspense that kept me on the edge of my seat! Once I started reading it, I couldn’t stop. Fantastic writing, unique storyline and intriguing characters make Grace and Fury a must-read- 5 stars!
In Viridia a world where women are oppressed.  Two sister face different paths from what they excepted.  Serina has trained all her life to become a Grace.  She thought that by following all the rules and doing her duty her reward would be to picked as Grace.  She felt that was a choice she made.  While Nomi her sister was the rebel.  She learned to read and felt that her sister didn't have a choice but something she had to do.  Things  change when Nomi who is Serina's handmaiden gets picked as a Grace.  Serina finds herself in prison and realizes what her sister Nomi met about freedom.  The sisters are running out of time and the cost can be their life.

You will find deception, romance, violence, and traitors in this book.  I liked it but I could tell where the plot was going.  I liked the writing and would look forward to see how the second book will be done.
This was a fun and uncomplicated fantasy that I'd happily hand to readers new to the genre or to younger readers looking for a longer book. I enjoyed the sister dynamic and the role reversal. Although I did see the plot twist coming, I think teens will be surprised. Very fun and I'm eager to read the next one!
I made it about half way through the book. Unfortunately it didn't hold my attention but because I believe that is more to do with my personal tastes than the book itself, I am choosing not to post a public review.
This book was absolutely amazing after the first couple chapters where it sets the scenes. Strong females are always going to be a favorite read for me.
Genuinely not what I thought it was going to be! I started it thinking it would turn into some variation of The Bachelor / The Selection (which I guess I would have known it wasn’t that if I had read the summary.) The best twists are the ones included in the summary 1. Serina has trained her whole life to be a Grace which means 2. being one of the many wife-consorts to the king (or in this case the crown-prince but 3. her sister, Nomi, is a rebel who only wants to run away and live in a world where she can read and do as she pleases and not have to serve men but 4. Nomi gets chosen as a Grace instead of Serina 5. and they get caught and Serina goes to prison to save Nomi from that.

I would feel like it was toooo spoilery to say but honestly this is 1/2 Women’s Fight Club (Serina at the prison) and 1/2 The Handmaiden’s Tale and 1/2 The Selection (Nomi at the castle). OKay I know that’s 3/2s but only because Serina and Nomi get split up and have to learn how to survive. Other than that, it’s highly predictable but a pretty easy and intriguing read.

What I liked:

-The sister’s relationship! Okay so actually I’m kinda torn on this because for most of the time I found myself rolling my eyes at the sisters for not being more understanding about what was happening with the other and for taking out their frustration on each other, but at the end of the day, they were both there to do whatever it took help the other sister.

-Although the twists were mostly predictable, I do like how there were just enough clues to what was happening that it was never out-of-nowhere, or out-of-character and instead I was able to piece together the bread crumbs and it paid off in the end. (Among these I’ll include how romance unfurls in the palace...not quite the romance but how it happens)

-Girl power. Strong female characters. The blatant oppression that they’re fighting against and the strength and growth it took for them to stand on their own.

What I didn’t like:

-The romance at the prison. Let’s just say I get really uncomfortable reading about someone falling in love with their captor regardless of whatever their role was or how tragic their back story is. I want to like the dude, and I want to feel like it’s probably a good thing there is a decent human being at the prison....but....

-The twist(s) = *highly* predictable after the first couple ones..which are actually spoiled once you find out the girls end up in the exact opposite of where they should be.
I had originally planned to DNF this because it was not holding my attention, but I decided to pick it up again and wow I am shocked by that twist? I feel like I have been massively betrayed and don't know what to think. I will definitely be continuing in the future!
This book is the YA equivalent of pizza rolls. You know, that frozen appetizer you get at the grocery store when you're not looking for anything high maintenance? Easy, quick, appealing - but you won't find any gourmet unique seasonings there, or plot developments here. I liked the world-building of the island that Serina got sent to and the secondary characters there were well-integrated and fleshed out. I also thought it was interesting that Nomi had to become a Grace despite not having the traditional characteristics for it. The writing was also easy to read and quickly finish.

However, there wasn't anything else that really stood out to me and I don't think I'll continue with the series. Average, does the trick in a pinch like Pizza rolls, but not something I want to make a commitment to. Just like I shouldn't make a commitment to eating Pizza rolls regularly.

Thank you to the author, publisher, and Netgalley for the ARC!
Grace and Fury is the fiercely feminist fantasy series I didn’t know I needed. There’s a lot to be read between the lines (and directly), and while I had my doubts in the beginning, I was soon won over by the two heroines. Sisters Serina and Nomi Tessaro have been preparing their wholes lives the roles, Grace and handmaiden, respectively. Serina sees being a Grace, a woman groomed to stand obediently by the Heir’s side, as her ticket out of their small town and as a way to provide for her family. For Nomi, it’s just another way in which women’s rights have been taken away and she wants no part of it. But it’s time for the Heir to choose his three Graces, it’s headstrong Nomi who catches his eye and Serina who takes the fall for Nomi’s dangerous secrets. Now Nomi is stuck in palace and Serina in prison. These two very different sisters must fend for themselves in different ways and that’s what made the story so interesting. I was equally invested in both perspectives and how their new paths would play out. I did find one to be slightly more predictable than the other at times but was pleased with how it all came together in the end. It left me wanting more (in a good way!) and I’m looking forward to finding out how their stories will continue.

Do I recommend? I do! It’s definitely more about the sisters and not heavy on the romance (although there is some!), which I thought worked for this initial book.
Orange is the New Black meets every “unwilling girl gets sent to the castle” book of the last few years.  I found mys elf equally engaged in each sister’s story, athough they were very different.  I think teen girls will scramble to get their hands on this book and its sequels.
A solid 3.5 stars. This world angered the shit out of me. I was furious at the way the women were treated. I hated the whole lot of these people who pretended it was ok. I liked Nomi and I liked Malachi, Asa sounded Whitney and full of shit in the audiobook so from the drop I didn’t like him lol. This would have been amazing written more like an adult fantasy. More in depth but it was good and ended in a pretty hopeful way so I’ll continue to book two.
This book was just okay for me. Not sure why I could not get into it. The story line did hold a lot of promises but I could not bring myself to get invested into any of the characters unfortunately. I do not think I will continue with the series.
Protagonists to root for, raging against a misogynistic system that's designed to be instantly hated by the reader. The worldbuilding is somewhat lacking and the plot doesn't hold too many surprises -- especially if you're well-versed in the YA fantasy genre -- but I enjoyed this book.

One sister's palace intrigue sections aren't anywhere near as interesting as the other sister's island prison sections, but then I do love a good prison narrative cum Survivor-inspired fight to the death.
I expected so much from this story, and perhaps that's the problem? Instead I got a half-rate story that didn't satisfy.
This is a story of two sisters who end up with very different fates in a world where women have no rights. One sister lives in a palace as one of the many women that gets to stand by the side of the heir to the throne. The other sister is sent to a prison where women are made to fight to the death to survive. There is a strong feminist tone to this novel and it can be somewhat grating at times because it’s pushed a little too hard even when not required for the story, but overall an interesting take on the YA fantasy dystopia.