Cover Image: The Perfect Family

The Perfect Family

Thank you so much for the opportunity to review this book and to be an early reader via NetGalley! However, I will not be writing a review for this title at this time, as my reading preferences have since changed somewhat. In the event that I decide to review the book in the future, I will make sure to purchase a copy for myself or borrow it from a library. Once again, thank you so much for providing me with early access to this title. I truly appreciate it. Please feel free to contact me with any follow-up questions or concerns.
Maddie and the rest of the characters are likeable.  The plot is relatively realistic. The mystery and action are woven just right!
Great thrilling novel which kept me turning the pages, would highly recommend to others. Brilliant writing, plot and characters.
This was a hard book to read, not because of the writing (which was good) but because of the storyline.  It is like a train wreck that you just have to keep looking at even though  you wan to look away.  Readers will be turning pages to get to the very end.
The Perfect Family is not what it seems, both the book and its main characters. It starts by describing the aftermath of any parents' nightmare -- being asked to choose which of your children will live or die.  For Maddie, it's being asked which of her twins will be spared by a masked man who shows up at her door.  Overall, this is an emotionally jarring read -- the tension and anxiety were near constant.  As you get to see what lies under the surface of Dom and Maddie's marriage, you learn to take everything else with a grain (or pound) of salt.  Through her reflections, you see Maddie struggling to keep from spiraling as she questions herself as a mother, but also no longer understanding what she takes for granted as truth.

I compliment King because she was able to evoke emotions in me that made me need to know what happened next so I could have my own resolution.   That being said, this book left me constantly questioning what was happening and who to trust. The suspense was real!  I can say that at the outset of the book, I thought I knew what to expect and that it would be predictable. I'm glad to say the ending was not what I expected at all. I also appreciated King's structure of going from future to flashbacks. It allowed her to unfold the story in a way that built suspense as she revealed details.

The Perfect Family definitely gets my recommendation.
Loved this book! Would definitely recommend! I plan on purchasing for my collection in the future! It was a page turner I couldn’t put down!
Maddie Castle had a perfect family ,married to her college sweetheart  and  has two beautiful children, twins, a boy and a girl.On the twins tenth birthday just as  Maddie was about to celebrate the doorbell rings. As they go to open the door a masked man grabs the twins and holds a gun to them screaming for Maddie to choose which one lives. Now Maddie has to live with the consequence of that horrible day with her husband and her son. Will she or her family ever be able to forgive her and move on with their lives?

The Perfect Family by Samantha King is a psychological thriller that started off with a the most horrifying choice that any parent can make. A little slow in the middle it picks up pace later and with a few twists and turns along the way, some of which I wasn’t expecting.

I would like to thank Kensington Books & NetGalley for providing an ARC of this book in exchange for my honest and fair review.
This book was quite the roller coaster ride, lots of twists and turns.....
Madeline really was the perfect on reliable narrator.... in the beginning I just knew something was not as it seemed, however I did not see reality coming.... don't want to spoil anything for anybody, but the premise of this book really made you think..... could you ever choose which of your children should live and which of your children should die, what a horrible place ever to find yourself in.... just the thought of it gives me the chills.... if you like psychological thrillers, I would recommend this one, plenty of twists and twisted characters....
Ugh. I wish that I really liked this book. I just couldn’t really get into the story at all. I’m sorry.
From the outside looking in Maddie had the perfect life until the unthinkable  happens at her twins birthday party, how does a mother pick one of her children over the other.... I expected a few more twists and turns and was a little bit disappointed  throughout the story but it was still readable and I enjoyed it ..
Wow!  This was an edge-of-your-seat read.  The reader is immediately drawn into the lives of Maddie and Dom Castle.  Their whirlwind relationship takes off and you are prepared to read about a happy family with twins...a boy and a girl.  But, things aren't always as they seem.

Suddenly you're discovering some difficulties in Maddie and Dom's relationship.  And Maddie has made a decision that completely changes everything in their lives.  But this isn't the end of the trauma!  You continue to be sucked into the story of Maddie and her awakening to her horrible things have become.

And just when you think that things are looking up, you are once again such into the vortex that is Maddie's reality.

This book is a wonderful psychological thriller.  The author has done a wonderful job of investing the reader into the Maddie.  You will waffle back and forth between being shocked at the words she actually said aloud...or she thinks she said aloud...and sympathy at all Maddie has and will endure.

I am looking forward to additional books by this author.  She rocked it with her debut novel!

Thank you to NetGalley and Kensington Publishing for an ARC in exchange for my honest review.
This book kept me ready very late.  The characters are well developed and interesting.  The plot twist were good and my questions were all resolved except for one which really bothers me.   This would have been a grand slam if not for the one twist not resolved.  Thanks to netgalley for the arc, the opinion is soley mine
Samantha King’s latest thriller is a pulse-pounding domestic thriller. On the morning of her twins’ birthday, Maddie Castle is terrified to find a gun-wielding, camouflaged man at her front door who tells her that she must make a mother’s absolutely unthinkable choice: which one of her children should she choose to live. From there the book moves at a frenetic pace with Maddie trying to wrap her head around what actually went down that day and who in her life is to blame as she battles amnesia.

King captured the frantic pace of this perfectly and it was a definite page-turner. Every time I thought that a question was answered, another equally perplexing question popped up, right up to the end. The only negatives I have to say were that at times I found Maddie’s character to be a little naive and annoying. Though she was portrayed as a sympathetic character, I did not always like where her mind was taking her. I won’t go into specifics because I don’t want to spoil the plot.

There was also one question which seemed to remain unresolved at the end, which I found very displeasing because it was a major part of the plot. Again, I won’t go into specifics, but I’m sure you’ll know what I mean after you’ve read the book.

Despite these couple of flaws, the Perfect Family was an enjoyable, fast-paced psychological thriller that I would recommend to all.

Many thanks to Netgalley, Kensington Books and Samamtha King for providing me with a complimentary e-copy ARC in exchange for an honest review.
***Thanks to NetGalley for a free copy in exchange for an honest review.****

It was an entertaining story from the beginning till the end. Most of the twists were solved except one and it kind of bugged me not to know that one detail but other than that I think it wrapped up pretty good. I would like to read another book by Samantha King.
The Perfect Family by Samantha King begins with a chilling prologue. Maddie’s twins are celebrating their tenth birthday. The three are home preparing for the celebration when the door rings and everything suddenly changes. A masked man with a gun asks Maddie to choose between the twins. Who gets to live and who dies? How crazy is that!
I was hooked from then on, curious to know what happened on that day. Who was the masked man? Why did he want Maddie to make the decision? I had so many questions and couldn’t wait to find the answers. However, Maddie’s memories were all tangled up so despite being the narrator, she wasn’t providing any answers. I had all kinds of crazy theories about the incident. Was it the mafia? Some serial killer with a twisted MO? Who was the masked the man? My mind was reeling!
Unfortunately, despite the great premise and the suspense, I didn’t enjoy this book as much as I thought I would. The pacing was a bit up and down. Some sections were super fast and exciting while others really slowed down for my liking. I did like the reveal about the about the birthday though and couldn’t have predicted the twist.
I really enjoyed this book so much. Definitely a book that stays with you! Could not put it down!

Highly recommended if you enjoy suspense genre! Thank you for my review copy, which I received through Net Galley.
Words used like daggers! Emotions worn on sleeves! Actions louder than life!
This rocked my world and was utterly terrifying and captivating all wrapped into one.
Good luck reading this and not looking around from time to time checking your surroundings to make sure you're alone.
Wow! Samantha King this was bloody brilliant.
The back and forth banter made this all the more exciting as a reader because you have know idea what is going on or where the next incident will take place.
Maddie Castle the main character and mom of twins is celebrating their 10th birthday with Aidan and Annabel and husband Dom until they weren't.
Now grief stricken after a mysterious masked killer enters the home and drags or kills or knifes or well I'm not sure...but neither is Maddie as she suffered a head trauma or was shot or was stabbed well I'm sorry I'm still not sure....
Well, look as readers not everything appears as it should and look for the unexpected.
Perhaps this perpetrator was lying in wait, grooming Annabel, or worse what if it was Dom (as he was abusive to Maddie) or could it be Max (his bro who she had a tryst with)?
The detective seemed certain Max fired the fatal shot and then killed himself but didn't a similar suicide occur with Dom...I hate when I can't keep track of things don't you?
Wait are you thinking what I'm thinking was it really Maddie all along ?
No, she couldn't have she loved those kids more than life itself, they were here flesh and blood but where they really Dom's? Hmmm well you might be on to something.
However, this is what rock bottom feels and now we have one victim and two murderers and what the heck how about another twister we'll say what if Annabel was not murdered and is actually alive?
OMG!
I'm so fluttered, the detectives confirmed she was shot , but now this?
How can a parent ever play favorites, how can you choose one over the other as the killer made her do in noting, "Choose one Bitch". BRRR Chillllllinnnngggg!
But what if she never has to make a choice, what if she simply chooses to not choose?!
Ok, now I'm totally confused, well me too but perhaps there's a way to stay alive and not be caught making a choice but in not making it's still a win for all involved.
Well, you'll see what I mean after you read The Perfect Family as the suspense is immense and the emotions are real.
What a fab read so rush to get this newest work wherever it's available to you! Because I choose ME!
Thank you Samantha King, her publisher, NetGalley, and Aldiko for this ARC in exchange for this honest review.
Honestly, I gave this book such a low rating because I skimmed through chapters straight through until about 56% in because the beginning is that weird and irritating. I did want to find out what really happened and by whom but the story is very overdrawn, hence the skimming.
Dom and Maddie had met at university, quickly falling in love, with Maddie just as quickly getting pregnant.  They each had lost their parents years earlier.  Maddie is an only child and Dom has a brother, Max, but doesn’t have a good relationship with him.

After a difficult birth of fraternal twins, Annabel and Aiden, Maddie is a busy mum totally centered on the twins.  Maddie has been stressed with the twins and even has feelings that something may happen to them.

Today is Annabel and Aiden’s tenth birthday.  As Maddie is making their birthday cake, the doorbell rings and a masked man with a gun drags both children to the backyard, and asks Maddie which one he should shoot.  Maddie thinks she said Annabel and believes the child is now dead.  She then blanks out.

Maddie sees herself as invisible to Dom and Aiden and seems to float through the days in grief not knowing what is real and what is not.

This is a review where I cannot add too much without revealing spoilers.  The story goes back and forth in time as the reader learns more about Dom and Maddie and their relationship.  While I felt like there was too much repetitive verbiage in the book, I think the author wanted to ensure the reader understood the ending.  This book is shocking and one that I think readers will enjoy up to the last page.  I must add that I think the book wrapped up too quickly leaving some unanswered questions.  All in all, this is a good read.

Copy provided by NetGalley in exchange for a fair and honest review.
I thoroughly enjoyed the plot, atmosphere, and characters.  I would recommend the book to friends and family for their reading pleasure.