The Summer Nanny

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 29 Jun 2018

Two teens who just graduated high school are deciding what to do with their lives.  Stay in small Yorktide, Maine or explore the world.  Amy gets a nanny job with the the Prior family and her best friend Haley gets a nanny job with the Whitby family.  Their experience couldn't be more different. Both grow up and gain insight into their lives.   Haley is saving money to get herself and her mother away from an abusive home while Amy is saving to see the world.  Both have an eye opening summer.  I received a copy of this ARC in exchange for a fair and honest review.
This book appealed to me  as I like Holly's books and the title The Summer Nanny. As I work with children myself I was interested to read more and see if I could relate.
Full review to follow.
This is a popular author at my store, and I do see the appeal. Although this wasn't the type of book I would normally gravitate towards, I did find this to be an entertaining beach read. I would seek out future titles by this authour, for sure.
The Summer Nanny is considered a beach read yet it also takes on such dynamics as abuse, mother-daughter relationships, and drugs (very minimal).

Taking place on the coast of Maine, Amy and Hayley take positions as summer nannies. Both have been friends since a young age yet both come from entirely different backgrounds. The families that they work for are just as different as they are. Amy take on a high paying position with Cressida. Right from the beginning Cressida gives you subtle hints that she’s out to use Amy and not as a nanny for her children. Amy, although twenty one is worldly inexperienced thus making for an easy prey by Cressida.

Haley takes a position with a wonderful, loving family. Haley’s goal is to earn enough money to move her mother and herself away from her abusive father. She dreams of a better life for both of them.

The Summer Nanny is promoted as a beach read yet to be fair it is more than that. Abuse and drugs play a role throughout the book showing you that neither care about social class, age, gender or where you live. Mother-daughter and family relationships are also highlighted from several different aspects.
The Summer Nanny was a great beach read.  As expected every summer Holly Chamberlin delivers a good story with relatable characters.  The descriptions make us feel like we are on vacation in the setting written about.  I liked this book very much. The arc of this book was a gift from netgalley sand the publisher, the review is my opinion!
A good summer read; I enjoyed this book, read it pretty quickly. Relateable characters and a good story. Thanks to NetGalley for the ARC.
The term “women’s fiction” can connote quite a broad range of books. Thus I was unsure what to expect from The Summer Nanny by Holly Chamberlin. This story is actually two tales in one as best friends Amy and Hayley, from very different backgrounds and with very different prospects, decide to accept employment for the summer as nannies for wealthy vacationing families. Hayley is a product of a dysfunctional family with an alcoholic and abusive father. She loves academia, but rather than finish college has to work cleaning houses to support her family. Amy’s father passed away when she was a baby, but her mother, a gifted crafter of fiber arts, has raised her in a small but comfortable home in a loving atmosphere.

Amy and Hayley find personal challenges in their summer jobs. Naive Amy is hired by a narcissistic and controlling successful businesswoman who claims to want to mentor Amy. Hayley, on the other hand, finds relief from her home environment in her job as a nanny for two year old twins whose mother is teaching French at a community college as a favor to a friend. Both girls experience personal growth as a result of their jobs. Romance plays a role in this novel, but so do family connections.

The style of The Summer Nanny with its short chapters keeps the plot moving as the focus of the chapters alternates between the two main characters. The book is interesting, but some of the scenes could have been omitted without sacrificing the integrity of the plot or the points the author wants to make.

Although this book could be considered a “beach read,” it is not really fluff. The author encourages the reader to examine questions of the causes and results of two abusive situations and the responses of the characters involved in them. There are definite themes of right and wrong and the importance of choices.

I would like to extend my thanks to netgalley.com and to Kensington Books for giving me the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an honest review.
Amy and Haley are best friends living on the lovely Maine coast who decided to take nannying jobs on their summer break from college to help fund their futures.   Haley has an unpleasant home life with an abusive father and so looking after twins in a loving family is definitely a change for her!  The story follows the girls throughout the summer and shows how the experience can change them and how they grow up.

An enjoyable beach read,  a bit on the slow side but still worth reading as I enjoyed the characters and watching how they grew in themselves as well as the lovely beach setting
I tried so so hard to read this book twice but I couldn’t get into the book either time. This time I made it about halfway through and gave up. It gets confusing after awhile when there’s only three pages to each character and then the next chapter it’s a different character and so on. I’m not sure if this just wasn’t my kind of book or what but I couldn’t get into it. Thank you to Kensington books for providing me with a copy for my review. I just wish I was able to review the whole thing.
Holly Chamberlin writes great beach reads, and The Summer Nanny is no exception. This book explores two best friends who decide to take summer nannying jobs in Maine. They think the jobs will be easy and breezy, but they soon discover that the quality of the employer matters a lot. Chamberlin creates quality characters and highly readable books.
Wow this book is a real great summer read! I could not put down!! I read while I was on vacation and I think I need another vacation I can actually be on lol
Hollie Chamberlain is definitely a feel good author who writes from the heart and captures her audience by introducing them to believable characters and situations. I just adore her style and aptitude to make me feel as if I know the characters and become embroiled in their life
Amy and Haley are close friends from differing backgrounds. They decide to apply for jobs as nannies for the summer and both are successful in securing posts but their placements are very different.
As their experience unfolds the story expands to include their immediate families and the lives that their summer families lead
Without spoilers all I can say is i absolutely loved it and didn't want the book to end. The characters were so real i would love to read a sequel to see how their lives and experiences turn out into their future..
A fabulous summer read.
This wasn’t a bad book, but I’ve read so many really good books this summer that it just didn’t match them in quality. I guess I would have found the story more interesting if it was about Vera, the mother, instead of about Amy, the daughter, who I found to be really immature and uninteresting. Yes, she had some growing up to do, but she really acted like a teenager instead of someone who went to college. Yes, Cressida was awful, but most would have figured it out much sooner than she did.

There was a reason, I suppose, that Hayley was emotionally stunted as well, but I found the romances really clunky and the plot way too long and clichéd. No one really grabbed me and I really felt the book dragging. Maybe it works as a beach read for some, but probably they need to be considerably younger than I am and without a need for a more sophisticated plot and characters with more emotional depth.

I received an advance copy of this book from NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
This was a very easy and breezy summer read and was perfect for picking up and putting down. The characters were very well drawn out and the romance aspect to the story was nicely paced. My only criticism was that the chapters tended to end in the an odd place, i.e. mid-way through a particular story. Other that that, I would highly recommend this book.
This is a great read for any woman as it is about empowerment whether in your personal life or your employment. Amy and Hayley are young women on the cusp of life, unfortunely Hayley’s family life is a disaster as her father cannot hold down a job and through drinking and gambling has lost countless jobs whilst her brother, Brandon is emulating her dad’s worse traits. Amy on the other hand comes. From a single parent home where her loving mother Leda has worked at her needlework projects to give them  both a good life. All changes when the girls get summer nanny jobs, one with an academic who has twin girls and the other who is a major player in the world of finance and though she has two children it is rather as her protege that she sees Amy. How the girls see their worlds changing by their experiences and how they are empowered by them and also how the other women in the novel are empowered to change their lives is profound, whether it is Leda winning an art competition with her needle raft or Hayley’s Mum standing up against her abusive husband. This is a book every woman should read.
The Summer Nanny by Holly Chamberlin. Not what I expected but still a good book but it dragged a little at times. Likable characters and good storyline. I look forward to checking out more by this author in the future.
The Summer Nanny tells the story of two best friends, Amy and Hayley, and their mutual decision to apply for nannying jobs over the summer in the beautiful coast of Maine. Inseparable since birth, both girls are about to embark on journeys that will take them in different directions when the summer season comes to an end. Needing money for their new beginnings, Amy and Hayley apply for nannying positions in hopes of an easy summer job that will give them both the opportunity to put away some money for their new adventures. What they didn’t know was that the nannying experience totally and completely depends on the family you work for. Amy and Hayley also had no idea that during these busy, breezy Maine summer months, they’d experience valuable life lessons, love and growth along the way.

An easy, light summer read that describes the importance of growth and the coast of Maine like a dream.
Amy & Hayley are both young women who took jobs as summer nannies to help them earn money for the next steps in their lives.  Amy ends up in a peculiar job where she is more of a companion to the woman who hired her, and Hayley finds herself watching twin girls for a loving family.  The story follows their experiences, their personal battles, and growth throughout the summer.  The story got to be fairly monotonous for me as not much happened to pull me through to the end of the book.
Holly Chamberlain writes the perfect  beach read novels. I enjoy returning to her writing every summer.  The author has a talent for transporting the reader into the coastal areas she writes about.
In this book we are following the story of two young 21 year old girls who are nannies .  They are each very different and fast friends.
Set in coastal Maine during the summer season the location is wonderfully described as if you can smell the sea air and feel the pull of the ocean waves.

Hayley is working with difficult two-year-old twins who are part of a very loving family and Amy works for a woman who is driven and hard to deal with. Each girl has very different working experiences.  Each girl is drawn into the family dynamics.

She writes her characters so well so you know them right away.  The location is done to perfection. The supporting charcters and the back stories are interesting and add depth to the story .The Summer Nannies is going to make a perfect  summer read.  Thank you for the ARC that does not influence my review.  Cross posted to Good Reads and Amazon.  A pleasant read for a summer day in your beach chair.
The Summer Nanny is a the book you think of when you think of for a pool or beach side book read. The Summer Nanny made me happy, sad, laugh and cry. I really wanted this book to not end but I couldn't put it down so sadly I finished it fast. I really think teen reader's would like it as well. The characters are very relate able and ones you can reminisce about when you were a teen or if you are a teen now. I will be getting a copy of this one soon, since I know it is one I will want to reread every summer.