Lucy the Octopus

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

This is a fun, easy read, but it's more than what you might guess.  Lucy the Octopus is a comic strip collection that tells the story of an unloved, bullied, young octopus named Lucy.  She struggles at school, at home, and pretty much everywhere in life, despite what the reader knows- that's actually a pretty cool girl.  Read this book to find out if Lucy can make some friends, share her rockin' musical talent, and make her family see her as a part of them.
I quit reading “Lucy the Octopus” on page 15 because I couldn’t handle the intense bullying (it seemed gratuitous and like it was supposed to be funny, but failed.) I hope that a lesson showed up later, but I couldn’t read any more to find out, unfortunately. The art was colorful and I did like that.
Although I did enjoy this comic book quite a bit, especially more towards the end of the story, I did find that there were some frames that could be found as offensive, particularly because the projected readers are listed as children 9+. I honestly feel like I would've enjoyed it more if I knew that the targeted audience was 16+. I still felt like many people will get a laugh of of Lucy and her never ending struggles to be liked for who she is, and can see myself recommending it to certain people in the future.
Funny easy humor about a octopus that just don't fit in in any way. Teah it laugh about being rejected by others, so some people may find it offensive, but I think you can laugh about anything, doesn't mean everyone one need to find it funny, but there is a difference between humor and reality. It's still very soft and good, a bit repetitive by the style of humor, it's always more or less the same and it's done in three cases «jokes» but there is still an evolution, kind of a continuity between every three cases and there is a «story» that goes through all the book. Not awesome, but good, entertaining and it make me laugh so I think it has achevied it purpose!