Lucy the Octopus

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

I am highly disappointed in this book.  Lucy is picked on by everyone.  Her siblings, her schoolmates, her parents.  She does make a friend, but wants to be a secret friend so the cool kids don’t find out.  I thought things would pick up once Lucy earned the spot as the lead guitarist for her favorite band, but nope.  She has to wear a watermelon helmet so her Uncool does not rub off on others.  It doesn’t matter that she is the best guitar player, only how she looks.  But it’s not just that.  The author has other characters call Lucy and “fag”, a “dike”, etc.  It just gets on my nerves.  I almost didn’t finish this book.  It was really close.  Yes it does redeem itself in the end, but it takes over ¾ of the book for that to even begin.  Just UGHHHH and NO!
The illustrations in this story are lovely, but I felt like the bullying and abuse that Lucy took at the hands of family, peers, and pretty much everyone was a bit too much. Over the top even though I'm sure that there are some children out there who are bullied to this degree. I guess I just didn't need it hammered over my head quite as much. I think that almost half of the book could have been edited out and we'd have understood how awful people were being to her and how she was such a nice and decent individual.

Even so, the visuals are so appealing that it made me keep reading the story just to see how things rolled out, whether things turned around for Lucy, etc. In the end, I'm glad I did stick with it, because the ending is worth the ride. And for that alone, I bumped it up to 3 stars.
This is a fun, easy read, but it's more than what you might guess.  Lucy the Octopus is a comic strip collection that tells the story of an unloved, bullied, young octopus named Lucy.  She struggles at school, at home, and pretty much everywhere in life, despite what the reader knows- that's actually a pretty cool girl.  Read this book to find out if Lucy can make some friends, share her rockin' musical talent, and make her family see her as a part of them.
I quit reading “Lucy the Octopus” on page 15 because I couldn’t handle the intense bullying (it seemed gratuitous and like it was supposed to be funny, but failed.) I hope that a lesson showed up later, but I couldn’t read any more to find out, unfortunately. The art was colorful and I did like that.
Although I did enjoy this comic book quite a bit, especially more towards the end of the story, I did find that there were some frames that could be found as offensive, particularly because the projected readers are listed as children 9+. I honestly feel like I would've enjoyed it more if I knew that the targeted audience was 16+. I still felt like many people will get a laugh of of Lucy and her never ending struggles to be liked for who she is, and can see myself recommending it to certain people in the future.
Funny easy humor about a octopus that just don't fit in in any way. Teah it laugh about being rejected by others, so some people may find it offensive, but I think you can laugh about anything, doesn't mean everyone one need to find it funny, but there is a difference between humor and reality. It's still very soft and good, a bit repetitive by the style of humor, it's always more or less the same and it's done in three cases «jokes» but there is still an evolution, kind of a continuity between every three cases and there is a «story» that goes through all the book. Not awesome, but good, entertaining and it make me laugh so I think it has achevied it purpose!