Cover Image: I Never Lie

I Never Lie

This book was slightly too miserable and with no likeable characters I just couldn't connect or like this book much.  Without much else to sustain it I felt it was slightly dull and tended to drag more than I'd hope for a thriller.
This author is new to me and I enjoyed her writing. I will definitely read more by her in future. A good read, with plenty of suspense and an unreliable narrator. Recommended.
We are introduced to the main character of Alex right from the beginning of the story. Alex South is 39 and is an alcoholic. Alex is also a successful television new journalist, but her career is at risk after a drunken on-air rant – Alex knows that she needs to stay in control of her drinking to keep her job.

When a young woman is brutally murdered near to where Alex lives, she seizes the opportunity to become successful in her career again and she is suddenly thrust back into the TV limelight. Alex struggles with this and turns to the only method she knows of coping – drinking.

The discovery of a another body, murdered in similar circumstances sets off a media frenzy, with a serial killer believed to be on the loose. Alex is struggling to deal with everything, and is drinking more and more – finding bottles of wine and vodka in her bag, which she cant even remember buying and drinking, and experiencing blackouts, where she wakes up not being able to remember anything at all.

I wont give anything away, but the conclusion to the story was pretty incredible, and one that I wouldn’t have guessed. I Never Lie is a gripping account of how ordinary people can very easily slip from a seemingly “perfect” life to something that is very much not so, and that bad things in life can affect us all at any time.
This is quite an intense psychological thriller. Gripping and compelling.

I'm not sure quite what I felt about Alex, TV journalist: she's supposed to be a 'functioning alcoholic'. Seems to be a bit of an oxymoron to me. If you drink a bottle of vodka for breakfast, I wouldn't say you're functioning. If you blackout three times in a week, minimum, and can't remember what you did, you're not functioning.

Sympathy  for her isn't at the top of my list. I'll be honest, I'm not sure I like her very much. She cuts rather a pathetic figure. Oh but, she's not an alcoholic, of course, she can control her drinking, and she can stop when she needs to. After a near career-ending drunken rant on air, she tries to rebuild her future. She's in a good place, doing well, with a growing Twitter audience. She's doesn't have a problem with alcohol. Certainly not.

Three murders, local to where she lives is the news story she's banking on to get her back on the ladder: it's her neck of the woods, she's the ideal person to take the lead on the reporting. But while she's trying to be the best, she's still fighting the battle with her notion that alcohol is not a problem. Even vital gaping chasms in her memory aren't spelling it out for her. It's all getting a bit messy. Especially when this huge story is edging into her life, past and present.

Alex is brilliantly drawn. The plot is well constructed and it's very well-written. No points for present-tense narrative, though…just not my thing…never works in my view. But that's just a by the by. It's a good, tense thriller that keeps your attention right to the end.
Read Dec 18

I will start by saying that it seems like every female thriller main character is single, desperate for a child and has a drinking problem. It’s boring and I want to see it less! As for the actual plot it was interesting and held my attention, but it wasn’t exactly exciting.

I wish we had seen more of Sarah’s story, the snippets we heard were very interesting. In fact, several of the side characters were more interesting than Alex. The ending like many thrillers was weak and seemed incomplete. Also are blackouts really that much of a thing? That you can do that much and seriously not remember? It seemed a bit of a stretch to me.
A very clever whodunit. I Never Lie is a book I will be rereading in the future as it kept me guessing until the bitter end. It is my kinda read and should be everyone else's too.
A very good read by a author I have never read before . I will read books by this author again as I really enjoyed this one .
A good read. Characters and plot are realistic. Grabbed me from the first page.  An author to look out for.
Not too particularly exciting. Not a bad storyline but not thrilling either. The storyline was basically the same as The Girl On The Train. Would recommend giving this a miss.
With thanks to Netgalley for allowing me to review this book

I never Lie by Jody Sabral is a good and steady read, that kept my interest throughout the book, in all a good  psychological thriller.
This was a good and solid read dealing with a subject that affects a lot of families, namely alcoholism.  It was written well and gripping until the end.  Recommended.
A compelling read exploring the difficult subject of alcohol dependency and the impact it can have on your ability to navigate through life (and your safety and vulnerability).  It was definitely a page-turner - a good pace, flawed but interesting characters and a good twist at the end.
Tv reporter Alex is a functioning alcoholic trying to get her career back on track after an embarrassing drunk performance on television.

When a body of a woman is found close to where Alex lives, this is her opportunity to redeem herself, with other bodies discovered this could be the biggest story of her career. Alex is desperately trying to detox but her continued drinking and her blackouts are not helping her focus.

We read the “Dear Diary” chapters where we meet someone trying desperately to give up their dependency of alcohol , I was very intrigued with who they are and how they fit into the story.

I enjoyed this well written book and it kept me intrigued, trying to guess who the killer was and why they were doing these atrocious crimes. The short chapters make this a book easy to read, I kept saying just 1 more chapter and before I knew it I had finished this book.

Thank you to Netgalley for my copy in exchange for a review.
Whilst I thought it interesting to to see the lies told to herself by Alex about how she wasn’t an alcoholic, I found the overall story too slow to capture my interest.
Alex clearly thought she was in control even though it was obvious she wasn’t and she ignored her black holes in her memory and the blackouts she experienced. And ignored the fact that she just needed a ‘little drop’ to function.
The decline of an alcoholic and the damage they do to their nearest and dearest and others they come into contact with is shown by the story but I  still didn’t manage to finish reading to the end.
Riverting book from start to finish. You will not want to put this down. Alex is a television journalist who used to be on TV news. Totally dependant on alcohol to get her through the day she is in complete denial that she has a problem. When her addiction starts to have an impact on other people she finds her life spiralling out of control. When girls are turning up murdered there is a link which she has to find. This book is great for those who like a good murder, read it and see.
I Never Lie is a fast paced psychological thriller.  An alcoholic television reporter investigates a series of brutal killings in her neighbourhood  and realises she knew a witness to one of one of the murders.  This was an enjoyable read.
INFO:
I Never Lie by Jody Sabral
Published: June 2018
Pages: 284 pages
Genre: Mystery/Thriller
Source: NetGalley

SYNOPSIS FROM GOODREADS: "Is she the next victim? Or is she the culprit…?

Alex South is a high-functioning alcoholic who is teetering on the brink of oblivion. Her career as a television journalist is hanging by a thread since a drunken on-air rant. When a series of murders occur within a couple of miles of her East London home she is given another chance to prove her skill and report the unfolding events. She thinks she can control the drinking, but soon she finds gaping holes in her memory, and wakes to find she’s done things she can’t recall. As the story she’s covering starts to creep into her own life, is Alex a danger only to herself – or to others?

This gripping psychological thriller is perfect for fans of Fiona Barton, B A Paris and Clare Mackintosh. "

MY THOUGHTS:
I love an unreliable narrator! I also love a narrator with flaws. I get super-annoyed when the main character in a book is gorgeous and perfect, keeps a spotless house, balances books on her head while simultaneously knitting and riding an exercise bike... I don’t know about you but I can’t relate to someone with a perfect life all that well! So… I was hooked from the beginning of this book and this hot mess narrator! I felt for her and I know that her struggles and back and forth with alcohol is totally what it looks like when people struggle with alcohol, having witnessed it firsthand. You just wanted to shake her and tell her to get a grip already! But that’s never how it works. The storyline twist and turned and went up and down with her success and failure. I loved that she went into it planning to be an objective outsider for a story and she gets dragged right into the middle of it. Great read!

YOU NEED THIS BOOK IF: you enjoy thrillers with unreliable narrators!

MY RATING:
Entertainment Value: 5
Characters: 4
Voice: 4
Plot: 5
Overall: 4.5 stars

Thank you to NetGalley for the ARC in exchange for my honest review.
This could have been so better than it was.I feel it concentrated more on the alcholism than the actual murders and the story was very predictable.
Is she the next victim? Or is she the culprit…?

Alex South is a high-functioning alcoholic, teetering on the brink of oblivion. Her career as a television journalist is hanging by a thread since a drunken on-air rant. But when a series of murders occurs within a couple of miles of her East London home, she's given another chance to prove herself.

Alex thinks she can control the drinking, but soon she finds gaping holes in her memory, and wakes to find she’s done things she can’t recall. As the story she’s covering starts to creep into her own life, is Alex a danger only to herself – or to others?

This book had me hooked from the start but sadly this sort of dried out towards the end... I felt that it had the bones of an amazing thriller but the ending felt like it was rushed to just wrap the book up. The characters were built extremely well, the scenery was set and the sense of panic and desperation was instilled and yet... something was missing. I think I also felt extreme frustration that Alex was able to keep swigging from her 'water' bottle that contained enough Vodka to keep her addictions at bay - I just wanted the story to unfold and this kept tripping things up.

The way that this book was written was also frustrating - 'Dear Diary' entries from 'unknown' (but really we've all figured it out) about giving up drinking whilst also craving drink - plus first person point of view from Alex also drinking but wanting to give up... got a bit boring. Alex isn't likeable and maybe that makes the author good at what she does - but it didn't make it a pleasant book to read.
I was not sure if I would like this book as this subject is very close to my heart, but I did enjoy the book,it got me gripped  from the first page,it makes you think and  understand about the problems an alcoholic suffers from, with a fab story line too. I couldn't put it down ! I would highly recommend this to everyone.