Cover Image: The Moor

The Moor

I found this to be a great YA mystery that I could not put down and thanks to the size of the book, I was able to read straight through to the end in one sitting. It seems as though the author is a fan of a few older novels as there were similarities throughout yet it played well in this book. The premise is a great one and the blurb gives you just enough info to lead you into being interested. I was hooked from the beginning and did not expect the ending. This is definitely a must read for anyone who is intrigued by mysteries with ghost stories and missing people.

Thank you to netgalley as well as the author/publisher for allowing me to read this book in exchange for my honest review.
This is a book I would recommend: fun and spooky all at the same time. The alternating timelines of the boys were excellent. This is a great read when you just want straight-up horror, outdoors, and creepy to the max and not want to spend days reading one.

Thank you to Netgalley and Unbound digital for the opportunity to read this advanced copy in exchange for an honest review
I am a sucker for horror stories that take place on a camping trip. Add mysterious, brooding moors and I am hooked.
A group of boys go on a camping trip on the moor and not all of them make it back.
I liked the descriptive nature of the setting on the moor and the slow build up of suspense which was helped by some chapters with newspaper articles that detailed the history of the area.
At first I was put off by realizing what the "horror" actually was but after thinking about it some more, I really liked the idea of an almost Lovecraftian touch.
I would have liked to know more of the backstory on the horror itself. The where, how, why, and when of it all. I can't say more without giving away spoilers.
All in all, it was a nice and creepy read.
I really like the first half of this and the direction I thought this was going in. But somewhere in the second half it took a big turn and it lost me.
I’ve never gone camping as a child, so I’ve never had the experience but I know that children tend to sit around the fire and tell ghost and monster stories to scare each other. The scarier the story the better. In Sam Haysom’s novel the monsters may be real. News clippings informs us that in Rutmoor National Park children have disappeared, bodies have been found, but investigation always led to nothing. And then a group of friends goes on a hiking trip and, of course, things go horribly wrong.

The story is told in different timelines and from different points of views. There are ghost stories and horror stories that make for a spooky novel that will entertain the reader. The ending was okay (not jaw-dropping, but good) and it is well-written so, all in all, I can say that I liked reading The Moor.
Creepy and scary, perfect read for a blustery autumn night.   Thanks to netgalley and the publisher for an advance copy.
**3.5-stars**

This creepy, campy tale incorporates many things I love: chilling stories around a campfire, multiple POVs, the use of mixed media sources and a delightful, 'is it supernatural, is it not supernatural feel. Once I started, I couldn't put it down and ended up completing it in under 24-hours.

I was drawn in right away, thanks to the lore of the Moors, and the clever use of newspaper articles of missing persons and bodies found in the area. Haysom has definitely created a compulsively readable story here. However, as intrigued as I was, it still felt very surface level.

I wanted MORE...

All puns aside, it felt like an abridged version of what the story should have been.

With this being said, I know not everyone enjoys 500-page tomes as much as I do, so for a lot of people this book will tickle that horror spot just as they want it to. If you like creepy, outdoorsy stories you should check this one out.

Overall, I think this is a good horror novella. I see a lot of potential in his writing and would definitely pick up more works by Sam Haysom!

Thank you so much to the publisher, Unbound Digital, for providing me with a copy to read and review. I appreciate it very much.
I wanted a little more from this, unfortunately. I thought there was a good sense of place, but there was something missing, I found myself having a hard time getting invested in the story
I liked the different POV's used in this novel and the story was intriguing. In the end, I was left wanting more. I wanted to see some more backstory and explanation of what was going on and what really happened. But all in all, it was a quick read that I enjoyed.
Wow, this one is totally disturbing but in a good way! There is just so much build and then bam! I didn't expect the twist and then the end I figured was coming but still! This one needs more information. I need some back story on why or what that actually was! I think many horror fans will like this one.
When I started reading the book, I was not sure what to expect and what direction the story would take. It started promising enough when a group of boys and one father set off for a hiking trip. We get to know the boys: Gary the loudmouth, the plain James Gary calls friend but likes to pick upon, the popular athlete Tom, and the average Matt who just tags along without adding much. Then there is shy Tim, who is the new boy in town, and his father Mr. Stevens, who seems nice enough, but tells a weird story about the local legend of the moor and why so many people disappear there. Of course, Gary instantly jumps to the occasion and plans to play a trick on James, who is already scared. Soon after, things really get scary and the first boy gets lost...

After that first part of the book, which builds a nice suspenseful atmosphere, step by step the secret behind the disappearances is revealed, while at the same we learn more about the Stevens family and their past. The main story is told in flashbacks, while in the present time we accompany a grown-up Matt on his journey to his childhood home, where he intends to bring an end to the evil that stalks the moor.

Part coming-of-age, part creature horror, 'The Moor' has all the necessary ingredients for a great novel, but I never got especially close to any of the boys and felt more like a distant observer, not completely sharing their excitement or losing myself in the scary atmosphere. However, I did enjoy the story-line, the unexpected turn of events and the final denouement.
Since 1951, teenagers have been going missing in Rutmoor National Park. Kids on school outings, campers, hikers....gone. Usually without a trace. Matt was on a trip where two of his friends disappeared. Only he and two others know the truth about what happened that day....the horrible truth.

I enjoyed the suspense of this story. It builds slowly and then the truth jumps out. When I realized what was going on...yikes! The ending caught me by surprise. Nice touch! I will definitely be looking behind me next time I go camping or hiking in the woods. I never sleep very well when tent camping. Anything could be out there in the dark.....animals, weirdos.....anything.

Nice, quick creepy read. This is Sam Haysom's debut novel. Definitely willing to read more by this author. This first book is well-written and absolutely creepy! I found it interesting that publication of this book was financed (at least in part) by donations received through a crowdfunding site. I see this as an interesting trend, and the author listed his patrons at the front of the book. Haysom added info about the site as well. Authors share a blurb about their book and visitors to the site can donate towards its publication if they choose. When enough sponsors are received to publish the book, it is released in a special sponsors edition, plus a regular edition and ebook formats. Interesting concept. Sponsorship sites are nothing new. Patreon and similar sites have been around for awhile. I like the basic concept because it helps authors get their work published. I just hate the constant posts, DM spam, and sponsorship begging from authors (and even podcasters). But....I'm chasing rabbits a bit. This is a book review....back on track!

Great book! I hope to read more by this author!

**I voluntarily read a review copy of this book from Unbound Digital via NetGalley. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**
Unfortunately I had to DNF this one at 15%. It was very slow. I couldn't get into this one at all. The story felt very stilted and there was no emotional attachment there.
Took a little while for me to get into this book so it was a slow start but once I had done I was then gripped and intrigued.
If you are looking for a book that will draw you in and is creepy at the same time, this is the book for you.  Wonderful imagery that has a distinct feeling that something is going to happen is throughout the book until the very end.  Would recommend!
Thank you to netgalley and Unbound for release of this book for review.

This was everything I hoped for. It did not let me know down. I love a good camping, cooking, story-telling's, and scary scenes!

I felt like I right in the middle of a Goosebumps novel. I give prompts to the author and editors of this book. I would recommend this. Were the stories true or did the stories make them come true?? Think on that?

I loved the novel that came out "Campfire" - this was similar and gave me the same feels! I will keep an eye for this author!
Moors, Mountains, and Monsters

This book was a stunner. The author wastes no time, quickly introducing readers to the frightful history of a fictional area of Britain that may be inspired by the Pennines and surrounding parks.

Historically, some hikers, climbers, and campers had run into trouble. Just as personal safety in high wilderness areas is often overestimated in real life, accidents or disappearances happened regularly there. Area authorities, with each grim event, had to mount long searches for the injured and lost. Tragically, they sometimes had to give up without finding anything.

After the memory of each event faded (or perhaps because of it) the park was as popular as ever.

The book tells of how the time was coming for five thirteen-year-old boys to go on one of their school's annual trips to climb thirteen of the peaks while trail camping there.

Somewhat typical for that age, these boys’ personalities were each distinctly different and they sometimes rubbed each other the wrong way, but they were a mostly tight-knit group who had come up from the lower grades together. Despite their disagreements, their friendships always remained intact, mostly.

For the five of them and their chaperone, the father of one of the the boys, this trip tests their bonds to the limits.

The story is told primarily from the perspective of each boy, Matt, James, Gary, Tim, and Tom. The story isn't linear, but I had no trouble following it at all. In fact, the further into the book I got, the faster I turned the pages as the suspense ratcheted up.

I don't want to say anything about the book’s plot to spoil it for readers, but I will tell you that even if you think you know what's coming, you’ll still be shocked.

There is violence, domestic and child abuse, and other acts that are not for the squeamish. They are only part of the horror in this tale. The Moor is a masterfully written book and I loved it, but the dreadful memories of what is on those pages have not left me yet!
In the 1830's or 1840's an alleged witch, Emily Brown, was stripped naked, her body mutilated, and was hanged from a tree near her home. The perpetrators of the crime were never caught. Now, in 2002, the Moor is haunted by her restless and malevolent ghost, or that is what the local legend says anyway. James, Gary, Matt, and Tim (all 13 years old) and Tim's dad, the charming and likeable Mr. Stevens, are in the moor on a weekend walking trip, when strange things start to happen.

Noises in the night. Severed rabbit parts strewn about the campsite. And then Gary goes missing. Has Emily Brown exacted her revenge, or is something even more sinister lurking in the darkness? As a storm bears down on the bedraggled group, will they make it out in time, or will they become the moor's next victims?

This book was excellent. From the writing to the overall plot this book delivered 5 out of 5. I don't want to say too much about the plot because I want to save the surprise. I liked how the story alternated between perspectives of the characters and from the years 2002 and 2015. A little bit paranormal, a little bit supernatural, this book will keep you guessing until the end.
Spooky read that keeps you on the edge of your seat until the end! Made me extremely jumpy and I would recommend this book to anyone!
Jumping between the past and 2015, interspersed with newspaper clippings, this book by debut author Sam Haysom tells the spooky tale of people going missing and animals getting killed in and around Rutmoor National Park, England. The main plot, told from different points of view, revolves around five teenagers and one father going on a camping trip in 2002 during which some of the members disappear. In 2015, the remaining, now adult survivors meet again and return to Rutmoor for a special mission.

It’s not like we haven’t read similar stories before. A group of slightly clichéd boys on a trip together, their different characters causing tension. Gruesome tales told by the campfire. A misty, dark moor. The spooky tale turning into reality when something evil picks them off, one by one, with no help (and no cell phone reception) available. The question whether it’s a very human killer on the loose or a supernatural monster of some kind.

It’s all been there, and Haysom’s mix of tropes and fool-proof plot devices isn’t adding anything new to the horror genre. The dénouement – to the seasoned reader – is foreseeable, the identity of the killer not a real surprise. While Haysom adds a little too much background to some of the boys‘ characters, he lacks in explaining the killer’s origin enough. The boys themselves are a standard mix of the leader, the loser, the nerd, the clown and the sickly kid, some of them grating, others more likeable, none of them anything special.

And yet, „The Moor“ is an entertaining and quick read, perfect for a long flight or a short holiday. The time jumps, the cliff hangers and the question of who’s next stir up enough suspense to make „The Moor“ difficult to put down. It’s spooky, atmospheric and a little disgusting without being really scary. Enough for chilling entertainment, not enough to be the stuff of nightmares.

What is surprising, though, is the unexpected turn of events in the middle of the book and the switch in perspective that goes along with it. While it does take away some of the whodunit suspense, it adds a bit of dimension and complication to what otherwise would’ve been a straightforward, completely foreseeable read. And even if the ending doesn’t come out of the blue, Haysom’s choice of telling the story gives it a darker quality.

All in all, nothing spectacular and too mild for real horror, but entertaining enough to recommend as an easy, sinister read to gobble down within a day or two.