Harriet Tubman

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 03 Jul 2018

RATING: 4 STARS
2018 Quarto Publishing Group/Frances Lincoln Childrens
(Review Not on Blog)

(General series review) These are fabulous stories about great women and men in history (for the most part). The illustrations are great for kids. There is a brief history on the person that explains how this person contributed to history and matters

***I received an eARC from NETGALLEY***
My review of this book has been featured as part of my July Wrap Up Part 1: https://youtu.be/8P3SdiApMrU
I love the simplicity of this series. It is a great way to introduce youngsters to important females throughout history. This book about Harriet Tubman is no exception.
I am never disappointed when I read a book in the Little People, Big Dreams series. Quarto’s newest addition to the series, Harriet Tubman by Isabel Sanchez Vegara, expands the collection with an on point age appropriate book about the life of a treasured icon of emancipation, Harriet Tubman.
When I was growing up the most you learned about Harriet Tubman was that she ran the Underground Railroad and helped to free the slaves. Many of the historical facts in this book I had never heard until just a few years ago.  The story starts with Harriet’s real name Minty, and ends with her work as a Civil War spy, and freedom fighter.   This is a great way to introduce children to a great lady.
I loved having another book to learn about Harriet’s life and thought this book was very child friendly in it’s presentation.  There is only a sentence or two per page which was perfect for reading it aloud to my almost 5 year old son.  Although it covers some very difficult subject matter, it managed to do it a way that was conceivable and not overwhelming for children.  The illustrations are kind of quirky and probably depend on individual taste.  Personally they weren’t my favorite, because I favor a little more traditional illustrations, but my son said he liked them.
I received this copy from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I love the Little People, Big Dreams series. It is a cute and easy way to introduce young readers to historical figures. Harriet Tubman is an excelled addition to the series. The illustrations are delightful! The book explains slavery in a way that young readers can understand, making the past accessible and easy to understand.
An age-appropriate story that would educate young children about a dark time in our nation’s history. The illustrations are gorgeous and tell their own story. It is detailed and gives enough information without being too gruesome or scary.
A quick colorful biography of the fearless anti-slavery heroine, meant for kids.
Some will be confused as to who is being talked about in the beginning; it isn’t till later that it’s said that she changed her name to Harriet. All of the things she’s famous for are here, along with a few facts I didn’t know about but only serve to elevate her already heroic status. It’s easy to imagine kids who’re oversaturated with today’s superheroes being swept up by her story.
At the end the text is repeated without the artwork, just elevated a bit for the adults.
This review is very similar to my review of the Georgia O'Keeffe book by Little People, Big World.

This Little People, Big World series is outstanding! I have seen a few Littens on Litsy reviewing these books, and I simply knew I had to check them out. Sadly, my library doesn't have any of the collection... so you can imagine how excited i was to see this book on NetGalley. I can see this being an asset in classrooms all over the world. The books are short, sweet, and beautifully illustrated. They are colorful, and exciting and they make learning fun for young children. I hope I can find the whole collection for my nieces and nephews.

A huge thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for sending me a digital copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. I truly appreciate it!
"Little People, Big Dreams" is an empowering series that highlights and celebrates the lives of ordinary women who rose up and made extraordinary contributions to the world.  Each book homes a powerful message and inspires the next generation of girls to do the same.

This book documents the true, incredible life of Harriet Tubman.   She was born into slavery in Maryland in 1820.  She worked for her white masters from dawn to dusk.  She always stood up for herself and the others around her.  When she was grown she escaped her miserable life and headed North to freedom.  She then became the most famous "conductor" on the Underground Railroad.

Brave and courageous Harriet risked her life time and time again returning to free her family members and hundreds of other slaves from plantations on this hushed and secret network of safe houses.

She worked for the army when the Civil War broke out, first as a cook, but soon became a nurse and a spy too!

When the war ended she dedicated her life to helping struggling impoverished former slaves and with the elderly.  In honour of her life, in 2016, the U.S. Treasury Department placed Harriet Tubman on the centre of the new $20 bill, a replacement for Andrew Jackson.  She was rightly acknowledged and honoured by such a wonderful gesture.

The illustrations are colourful and enrich the text greatly.  The author includes a more detailed biography of Harriet at the end of the book for older readers.  This whole series, "Little People, Big Dreams" is very inspirational and powerful. It allows wonderful role models of influential women for children of all ages to access.  I highly recommend this book.
Even though Little People, Big Dreams is a children's storybook, I'm a fan of this series because it's not only eye-catching and entertaining to read, but it is quite informative. And who says that children's storybooks are for young kids only, right?

I never knew who Harriet Tubman is but through this picture book, I learned about how an important person she is in freeing slave people and standing up for equal rights for her fellow African-Americans. Her story tells us that we should fight for what we believe and to never give up to achieve what we dream. An educational material and also an inspirational, not only for young readers but also for adults.
This book is a great, informative introduction to Harriet Tubman. The subject of slavery can be hard to tackle, especially on a children’s level. The author does a splendid job of it. I liked that the author started with Harriet’s childhood and walked us through her life. The illustrations go wonderfully with the story. We loved this book!

Thank you to Netgalley for the copy in exchange for an honest review. We will be picking up a physical copy!
Harriet Tubman is a simply but evocatively illustrated piece about a little black girl born into slavery. But Minty wanted to be free.

This book is also a fantastic book for explaining the concept of slavery to young children in a simple yet understandable fashion.

Minty goes through horrific experiences - her sisters get sold and she gets beaten every other day. What I really love about this picture book is that it doesn't suger coat childhood - it shows how bad a childhood can be because of external circumstances - and this is something kids needs to understand.

But Minty stands up for herself and wishes to go to the North where slavery has been abolished. She changed her name to Harriet so that she would not be traced. She meets people who are against slavery. She saves her brothers and sisters. She helped so many people get to the North.

I believe that simple illustrations are best in explaining a complex concept like slavery and its abolition to children. This was a fantastic choice by the author/illustrator.

Harriet demanded that African Americans have equal rights to white people. Harriet is a revolutionist - she is a first wave supporter of equal gender rights. She is a wonderful human being, and this book will surely help others see this.
Another awesome instalment of this brilliant series, I'm so enjoying sharing them with my kids and learning more myself! The very stylised illustrations are lovely and there is just enough content to learn, and to encourage us all to go and find out more. Can't wait to read the next one!
'Harriet Tubman' by  Mª Isabel Sánchez Vegara with illustrations by Pili Aguado is part of the Little People, Big Dreams series of picture books.

Araminta "Minty" Ross was born into slavery.  Her early life was rough and inspired her to do something about the way things were.  She was helped to escape her life, changed her name, and helped others escape on the Underground Railroad.

This is told with colorful illustrations.  Because her early life was so hard, it may open up questions with young readers.  This isn't a bad thing, and we should be willing to discuss hard things with our kids.  Harriet Tubman used her hard experiences and it propelled her into action.  The lesson is clear and told in a simple way for the young.

I received a review copy of this ebook from Frances Lincoln Children's Books, Quarto Publishing, and NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.  Thank you for allowing me to review this ebook.
This is an excellent and inspiring biography of Harriet Tubman for children.  It goes over the basics of Tubman’s life including being born into slavery and what that life was like, her escape, helping other escape, helping in the civil war, and her post war effort for civil rights and the importance of standing up for yourself and others.

The illustrations were colorful and intriguing and the text is though provoking for a child and a great way to start a discussion about this point in history and the importance of equal rights.  This story is inspiring to children and adults alike.

Thanks so much to Netgalley, the publishers, and the author for providing me with a copy for an honest review.
A beautiful addition to this series. I love the artwork and the message these tiny books pack. This is a good children's book telling about the life of Harriet Tubman and her importance in history. Even though she was born into slavery, this book is told in a delicate way. I found it acknowledged her hardships but kept it at a children's level.

Disclaimer: Received this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
The Little People, Big Dreams Series celebrates the lives of important and influential people. Each book is filled with interesting illustrations and extra biographical information in the back of the book.

Harriet Tubman obviously explores the life of Harriet Tubman, from her childhood in slavery in Maryland to her escape and her bravery to repeatedly helping others escape slavery and more. This book (and all others in the series) is a great and rather thorough introduction to Harriet Tubman and her inspiring life.
This is a beautiful portrayal of Harriet Tubman's life.  They include her activism and work before, during, and after the Civil War, including how relations did not magically repair once the slaves were free and the war ended. The book even includes a drawing of Tubman on the 20 dollar bill! I learned that her name was Araminta or "Minty' before she escaped slavery and changed her name.

Thanks, NetGalley, for the read.