Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, I Know Exactly What You Are

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 01 Nov 2018

Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, I Know Exactly What You Are by Julia Kregenow in a nonfiction picturebook. Do you know why stars twinkle? It’s time to find out! The text is written to match the classic melody of “Twinkle Twinkle Little Star” by an expert in astrophysics. This book is an introduction to the real science behind the magic of stars. Discover how stars are created, what they’re made of, and even what makes them look like they’re twinkling.

Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, I Know Exactly What You Are is an accurate and factual rhyme to teach readers of all ages the truth and science surrounding stars. I think the rhyme are well done, and interesting. However, I have to admit that as an adult I lost focus partway through the second verse. I love the idea of teaching science in our bedtime reading, but thought that this was a little much. I know there are kids and parents out there that will love this book, and will have as a repeat read. I just found it to go on too long, the details about fusing atoms, atmospheric turbulence, and more was beyond what I would find myself singing.
A lively picture book about the scientific description of stars set to the rhyming structure of Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. Young astronomers will appreciate the informative text as well as educators looking to supplement their science library.
Take a well known children's song and mix in astronomy facts and what do you have? A picture book tour of space with a rhyming text. The book begins with two children in their bedroom. The girl looks out at the night sky with a telescope while the boy looks through an astronomy book. Their room is decorated with a solar system mobile hanging from the ceiling and a poster of the solar system on the wall - obviously they like learning about space. Constellations, black holes, and the various types of stars are introduced along with other stellar facts. The illustrations are a mix of watercolor, pencil, and collage that captures the twinkle caused by atmospheric turbulence as well as the beams of light from a pulsing neutron star. They also show those children as they finish their stargazing for the night; the girl snuggles down next to a star projector nightlight while her brother cuddles under the covers with his astronaut teddy bear.

Back matter gives a more detailed explanation of each of the stars mentioned in the book and also shows the image again, making it easy to flip back and forth through the book and connect the larger scale illustration with the extra information. This will be a great gift for any children interested in space and science, and a good addition to classrooms and school libraries for teachers to introduce astronomy.
This is a book I definetly will order for the store. The illustrations are very nice, bordering on beautiful. The text is easy to sing to the tune Twinkle Twinkle  Little Star. While a 3 year old might not understand the meaning of the words, an older child will be able to understand information provided.

I would recommend this book to anyone (young and old) who enjoy information and books on space.