You'd Be Mine

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 05 Apr 2019

I'm not usually a fan of the rockstar storyline in books but the writing and plot of YOU'D BE MINE was definitely entertaining. This book was definitely way more than I expected it. It's swoony, has a lot of music and lots of feelings. The characters are likeable and they were charming. The writing is great and definitely won me over. YOU’D BE MINE is a sweet and charming novel, I definitely recommend it!
I received an Advance Reader Copy from the publisher. This in no way impacted on my view.

This was a book that I hadn't initially heard much about, but will admit that the gorgeous cover is one of the main reasons I sent in the NetGalley request, and I'm really glad I did, as You'd Be Mine was such a quick and enjoyable read, especially considering I read this in November, when the weather wasn't the best, and was looking for a book somewhat similar to A Star is Born.

In You'd Be Mine, Annie, who's parents had both been country music stars, is America's Sweetheart, but just because she comes from such a musical family, doesn't mean everything is handed to her on a platter. She has to work for her career, and it's a good thing she loves singing and performing. However, she knows exactly what that lifestyle can do to a person, and she needs to do anything to avoid making the same mistakes her parents did. Clay, on the other hand, is not a sweetheart, but rather a bad boy, who's fallen to the vices that can plague stars, and he seriously needs to clean up his act. When the record label decides that their two biggest acts - Annie and Clay - should perform and tour together, it's as if its a train wreck waiting to happen, but instead, magic and chemistry could save the day.

I really liked both characters, Annie more than Clay, and enjoyed how they were complex people, with difficult backstories that we began to see as they grow closer to each other. From the off, there is chemistry between the two, and they both try to fight it, for different reasons, but it's just too much and, honestly, they're better people together. Facing their difficult pasts, and knowing that the other person understands the pressure they're under, allows each character to grow, and they are really realistic in the way they face each issue.

Now, country music has never really been a big genre for me - I don't know if it's just because it doesn't exactly have a huge following here in the UK - but I did like the way the music was fully integrated into the plot, and it felt natural to be reading the lyrics on the page. I'm definitely glad I requested this book, and am looking forward to reading more from this author in the future.
I don’t know if it was the way in which I read this book or the book itself, but I was left feeling kind of meh.

Clay Coolidge is a young country music star with a drinking problem. His label tells him he needs to get Annie Mathers, daughter of country star legends, to open for his summer tour in order to help his reputation. Of course, Clay is gorgeous, so Annie, against her best intentions, ends up falling for Clay.

Starting with what I liked about this story is that it is more than what it seems. In addition to being a country star and rising country star, they have pretty serious backstories. And while they were serious, I feel like Hahn did a really great job with them. I never felt like “OMG even more terrible things happened to these people?” It was realistic and well fleshed out. I also felt like their story/character building was very well done because I truly felt like I got to know Annie and Clay. It could’ve been irritating, but it wasn’t.

On the other hand, some of the secondary characters fell by the wayside. Felix, Clay’s best friend and bandmate was pretty well built, but I still feel like I barely know Annie’s bandmates Kacey and Jason.

Just for a bit of explanation, I started reading this book on the Kindle app on my phone a while before I marked it as read on Goodreads. It was one of those books that I was reading simultaneously without ever really committing to fully focusing on it until more recently. I liked having a book on my phone that if I was out without a book I had something to read. So, I don’t know if it’s because I didn’t give this book my full attention from the beginning or what, but I just felt like even though I knew the characters, I didn’t connect with them.

I never felt like I wanted this book to be my main focus and I almost felt like I could’ve left this book without finishing it. I didn’t feel the connection between Annie and Clay so I never got behind their romance. Again, I wasn’t quite sure if this was me or the writing, but after reading a Christina Lauren book in which I immediately got sucked into and involved in the characters’ relationship, I’m thinking it’s the writing.

This is Hahn’s debut and I do think there are a lot of strengths in this book, but overall missed the mark for me. I liked the writing style and found it to be a fun book, but the emotion behind the romance was lacking a little bit. I’m hopeful that Hahn will have stronger books in the future because I can see the potential! If you are very into country music YA, I would still say check this out. Maybe it was just me. Otherwise, I would give this book a pass.
3.5-4 Stars

A somewhat angsty, compelling romance perfect for young adult readers who want more mature circumstances. I read this in a couple sittings since I became instantly drawn toward the characters and their world. This is a musical romance with lyrics included, so a few moments were corny for me, as is the case when I have to read saccharine verses. Nevertheless, I became invested in the characters' story and wanted to know how it would unfold.

Overall, this was an entertaining and touching read for me and I do recommend it.
I enjoy country music a lot and I’m a big fan of Faith Hill, Rascall Flatts, Lady Antebellum so when I saw this YA Contemporary story centered on country music, I was quite intrigued. I’ve read YA stories featuring rock stars but this is my first time reading a YA story centering on country music.

Clay was your typical bad boy, dragging a painful past behind him, hell-bent on a path of self-destruction. One of his latest transgressions led him into meeting Annie, a seemingly good girl. Their paths collided and only time would tell whether they’d complement each other or destroy one another.

Annie was the daughter of a famous singer and she grew up in the limelight. She got out and tried a different path but the lure of music was too hard to resist. When Clay came to convince her to come back and sing, she already wanted to and so started their tour together.

They both had their pasts and issues to work through. This story emphasized the beauty of music, the art of it, how it affected people. But also showed the darker side of the music world—the stress and pressure, the depression and the temptation to take the easy way.

I appreciated that the author showed the gritty side of the show business but there was a certain depth lacking in the words that would have given the story more impact. The writing style made the issues feel less dark instead of intensifying the impact.

That said, “You’d Be Mine” was a pretty good story, dealing with serious issues that impact teens and musicians. Also, throughout the book, one part of my mind kept trying to work out the significance of the title before I finally got it.
I received an Advanced Review Copy of You'd Be Mine by Erin Hahn from the publisher St. Martin's Press through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

What It’s About: This is a cute young adult book, about two teenage country music stars, Clay and Annie. Both of these characters have faced tragedy and are deeply impacted by these tragedies: Clay is spiraling out of control with drinking and partying, while Annie works hard to avoid this problem by being the typical good girl. This is the story of their summer on tour.

What I Loved: This book is cute and the characters are likeable enough. I kind of liked the setting of the world of country music and being on tour, it was a fun to read and a nice distraction.

What I didn’t like so much: This w book was a bit cheesy and over-dramatic at times. I felt like the book got a bit preachy and it annoyed me but overall I just took it as a fun book set in the world of country music.

Who Should Read It: People who like YA and country music and don't mind a bit of cheese.

General Summary:  A cute romance set in the world of country music.
I read this a while ago and rated it 4 stars on Goodreads.  I always love a good romance and add a bit of country music and I will fall in love.  This story falls in line with my favorite Miranda Kennelly novels and Erin Hahn is now an author I will be on the lookout for in the future.  Have already shared this title with a few students!
This was a great book! It reminded me of one of my favorite movies country strong. I love the storyline of two country singers and their different styles and careers it was sweet but not overly mushy just the way I like my romance I loved the sort of enemies to lovers romance between Annie and Clay and the behind the stage look into characters in the music career this book was a fun fast read that I feel for instantly and I already miss the characters!
I thought this book was so cute. They took real life issues like loss and alcoholism, mix it with love and music and it was definitely a book I fell in love with. I love the characters and wonder what the future holds for them. I look forward to reading more from Ms. Hahn.
Clay Coolidge and Annie Mathers are country singers. Clay is kind of a bad boy and the only way his record label has agreed to keep him on, is if Annie agrees to go on tour with him for the summer. Annie is a great singer, but her parents were in the business and she's not sure if she wants to follow in their footsteps. But when Clay shows up on her doorstep, she feels like she has no choice but to join him. Being on tour the two learn things about each other, they don't like to share with the world. Will this tour help them to find the healing they are both needing, or will it just make things worse.

Thank you to NetGalley and St. Martin's Press for the opportunity to read and review this book.

You'd Be Mine is a cute love story about two very young country singers. Annie is the daughter of a famous country couple who died. She doesn't want to be compared to her mother at all, which is why she has chosen to stay out of the spotlight for so long. Clay has his own demons in his closet and is a bad boy in the business. The fans swoon over his songs and his gorgeousness, but they don't know the person behind the music. Annie sees Clay and that scares him.

This is the first book I've read by Erin Hahn, and I look forward to reading more of her books. This one was cute. Since most of the characters in this book were under 21, I don't know if I would categorize this as a YA book. The underlying subject matter deals with drug overdose, suicide, and death through war.
Not the light fluffy romance I expected it to be. The characters have some real emotional depth and demons of their own which made for a really good read.
I enjoyed the tour/music industry aspect of this book as an avid music fan of all genres I loved that insight.
I did feel like the plot slowed down a little in the middle and I found myself wanting it to move along a little faster.
I did however enjoy this book over all and found the end to be a bit of tear jerker.
I received a E-ARC for my honest review from Netgalley. I want to say thank you Netgally and Wednesday books for letting me read and review this book.

This book is about Annie and Clay. Clay is a popular artist in country music and Annie is a daughter of two country music legends. Clay is a young adult that is struggling with the loss of his big brother and dealing with being famous. I can't honestly imagine. Annie is just finishing high school when "trouble" knock on her grans door to join his summer tour. Clay has not been on his record labels good side so he needs some help. Annie wants to stay out on the spotlight because of what happened to her parents but music is in her blood. Annie and her hand agree to your with Clay.
Will clay save his career with the help of Annie? Will Annie be able to figure out her feelings for Clay?

Please read this amazing and cute story. It had me laughing and blushing with every page!!
Annie is by far my favorite. She has this sweet charm but fire to her.

This is definitely a book I will read again.
I loved this one! I wish I hadn’t waited this long to read it because it was way better than I was expecting it to be. I was expecting a light, fluffy contemporary, but this turned out to be much darker. The characters were well developed. The plot was engaging. Overall, I really enjoyed reading it.
You’d Be Mine is a quick and fun read. One that once you start reading you will keep reading till you are done. Where the bad boy Clay is finally having that reputation is starting to hurt him. So he needs to change his image and reform his bad boy ways. That’s where Annie comes in, Clay needs to convince her and her band to come on tour with him to reform his image. Both Clay and Annie have had bad things happened to them and they are weary of trusting others. This makes their journey to finding love with one another an interesting story.
You'd Be Mine is a fun and super sweet read. The kind of book that makes you smile and swoon, and have the urge to start blaring music. It's slightly predictable, but that doesn't take away from the story.
I had been very excited about this release due to the country romance. I love country music and felt this was a new and fresh idea for a YA book.It definitely lived up to my expectations. It explores great friendships and family dynamics as well as teen love.

Annie is a character who you automatically love as she's friendly, talented and charismatic. Some of her background is sad and is written in an impactful emotional way, exploring grief realistically.

Clay is the bad boy you wish you hated but secretly like which i think as a reader i felt and so does Annie to. He is quite mysterious with obvious problems but  is also sensitive towards others. He  puts on the bravado of being tough and care free which i think was great to have and portrays what fans see in the media of real pop stars.

The group of friends Kasey, Jason and Fitz provide the humour and support to their co-stars throughout the book. I also enjoyed the bond they all make as a group with their life on tour, late night antics , fights and make ups all of which makes the story engaging.

I loved the tense atmosphere throughout which made me so desperate for them to get together after all the turbulent times of drugs, alcohol and fame. The ending was the perfect swoon worthy romance.

Everyone should definitely go and pick this book up, its a fabulous new release written beautifully.
This was an adorable read. I loved the Nashville TV show feel of this book. I loved that it was told from two points of view but you also see how the peripheral characters felt.

Clay and Annie could be real people. You felt Clay spiral and you feel like he is a little bit based on Justin Bieber. Annie feels like an early Taylor Swift. The Taylor that was sweet and innocent. You cheer for them. You cry for them. You want to see them together.

I wanted to actually listen to the songs. Watch an actual video because the words just jumped off the page.

This is a fabulous YA novel that I think translates well for adults to read.

Thank you Wednesday Books and Erin Hahn for my copy of You'd Be Mine
This book was as angsty as a country song (though I’m really not a country music fan, I do love all the heartache and cheating and drinking in the lyrics). The story is about two teenage country singers who go out on tour together. Annie is the daughter of a legendary country music couple who came to a tragic end. Clay is a bad boy country star whose successful career may be derailed by his demons.

I really enjoyed You’d Be Mine. Annie and Clay both have tragic backstories and reason to be wary of each other. Their romance is a very slow burn one, which I liked. (In fact, some people may wish their was romance was a little swoonier.) There isn’t a ton of plot – the plot is basically their summer tour and the fits and starts of their romance.

But I really liked the writing and found the story to be the perfect one to get me excited about the beginning of summer. I’ll definitely keep an eye out for future books by this author.

If you loved Open Road Summer by Emery Lord, definitely check You’d Be Mine out – I think you’ll love it!
Annie Mathers has a gorgeous voice and the country music pedigree to back it up: her parents were Nashville royalty until they died in a double suicide back when Annie was a child. Now she's 18 and trying to figure out whether she's brave enough to try to make it on her own in music or whether she should choose a different life and stay home on her grandparents' farm. Then Clay Coolidge shows up at her door and invites her to join his summer tour. He's a superstar (winner of last year's Best New Artist CMA), he's charming, he's easy on the eyes, and he's offering her a chance to step out of the shadow of her parents' tragic love story. How can she say no? As the summer goes on and they sell out arenas performing together, Annie starts to fall in love with Clay...but she also realizes that he has a lot of problems of his own, and he might need her a lot more than she needs him. Does she dare risk her future on a star that might burn itself out too soon and burn her up in the process?

This book had some great potential. Both Clay and Annie are charming, complicated characters, and I wanted to find out what happened to them. Their band members (Fitz, Jason and Kacey) added some snarky dialogue and the razzing you can only get from friends who are more like family. As the book went on, though, I started to care more about them than I did about Clay and Annie. Aside from liking how he looks in his Levis, it was hard to tell what exactly it was that Annie liked about Clay. There were a lot of scenes of them performing on stage together, but very few of them actually getting to know each other. It was a little too much like insta-love for me. They were on a tour of the country, but there wasn't nearly enough of them exploring the cities they visited. What a missed opportunity! I mean, the tour buses and dressing rooms are interesting for a little while but there was so much more they could have done with a national tour. Also, there were big time jumps where the plot just seemed to kind of skip ahead and things were left unexplained...they just magically got resolved.

Now, I will say that I'm probably not the target audience for this book. A teenager might find the whole thing swoony and not WANT anything more than smoldering looks on-stage and kissing in hotel hallways. However, as someone who reads plenty of YA, I know it is certainly possible to inject a compelling, meaningful story into a fluffy teen romance and that just didn't happen in You'd Be Mine. The pieces were there, but they didn't fully come together. I wanted more!

**Thank you to NetGalley and St. Martin's Press for the ARC!**
I didn't expect to like You'd Be Mine. Contemporary romances make me very skeptical.
BUT Hahn's characters are so good and lend themselves to a worthwhile medidation on grief and growing into your authentic self. It's not a perfect novel--Hahn leans too heavily into cliche one too many times that snapped me out of my enjoyment--but it was an entertaining one.