You'd Be Mine

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 05 Apr 2019

5 Big stars!!

Annie Mathers didn't want the spot light but she was born for it, after loosing her parent Annie left the country music south to live away from it all with her grandparents in Michigan. But she is America's Sweetheart, with the voice of an angel.

Clay Coolidge is already a big name in country music, but with some bad media coming his way his label has told him he has to get Annie Mathers and her band to tour with him or else he is out. Annie can't help be swayed by Clay and his charm and agrees to join the tour.

A whirl wind of a summer and a tour follows. Of course fans want to believe there is more than just a tour mate relationship between Annie and Clay, but after Annie saw the relationship between her parents and their tragic end how can she even consider it?

Erin Hahn did a brilliant job of building not only building her main characters but her side characters. Everyone had such amazing depth to them. I am happy to say that I felt a genuine connection to all of the characters. I understood their motivations a reasons for doing what they were doing. It was a lot of fun to read the different songs the two characters were coming up with.

This was fun summer read that definitely had some deeper topics. I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys young adult contemporary with some serious topics put in, as well as cute romances.

Trigger warnings for: loss, grief, substance abuse, and suicide.

Ladies and Gentleman, I’m here to announce that You’d be mine is coming out today!

I’ve sat on this book for MONTHS trying to get my words together, trying to understand what I actually thought about it and I think I finally am able to do so and just in time!
What took me so long? I had too many emotions about this book, good and bad, but mostly I needed to prove myself with something that only time would tell and I wasn’t wrong.

So where to start? I think need to write a disclaimer first.
I love music, I enjoy it deeply, and Country is one of my favourite genres. I’m not, however, one of those people that can’t live without music, religiously carrying headphones with them or always blasting something in their ears. I’m the type of listener that get fixated with songs or albums and start listening to them in a loop until I know them so deeply that they become white noise.
That said I have enjoyed this book, It shines a light in the ugly and shiny parts of the life on the other side, the backstage and onstage life.
There is some crude aspects in the entertainment industry where you play a persona and nothing else matter to a lot of people, and you only need to remember who you are because no one else will.
I found this book way heavier than the romantic fresh frame it was planned to have. I feel like it should come with some trigger warnings, some pretty big ones if I am to be honest.

But let’s shine a light on it and let’s start with what I loved before getting into more details, shall we?.

PUTS COUNTRY ROAD ON PLAY

Annie Mathers is America’s sweetheart and heir to a country music legacy full of all the things her Gran warned her about. Superstar Clay Coolidge is most definitely going to end up one of those things.

But unfortunately for Clay, if he can’t convince Annie to join his summer tour, his music label is going to drop him. That’s what happens when your bad boy image turns into bad boy reality. Annie has been avoiding the spotlight after her parents’ tragic death, except on her skyrocketing YouTube channel. Clay’s label wants to land Annie, and Clay has to make it happen.

Swayed by Clay’s undeniable charm and good looks, Annie and her band agree to join the tour. From the start fans want them to be more than just tour mates, and Annie and Clay can’t help but wonder if the fans are right. But if there’s one part of fame Annie wants nothing to do with, it’s a high-profile relationship. She had a front row seat to her parents’ volatile marriage and isn’t interested in repeating history. If only she could convince her heart that Clay, with his painful past and head over heels inducing tenor, isn’t worth the risk.

So, what do I love about this book? I love that the author gifted us with a double point of view, it allowed me to sympathise with characters I otherwise wouldn’t have, why? Because the characters in this story are onions! They have layers and public personas and more layers, they have traumas and charm and charisma and chips and crepe and it’s ok, they are human, they are young but way older than they should be, they are deep thrown into this wide-scale industry full of big names where everyone is tempting them with one or the other vice and not everyone can be strong, hell knows if I don’t know something about it! Clay is running from himself, he’s lost and clueless; Annie is done, a bundle of phobias and fears a set line of self-imposed don’ts that prevent her to ever step out of line. He’s using the damned way to run from his demons she’s using the merry way to stay away from hers, they are the Ying to their Yang and together they’ll find a balance that it’s actually quite perfect.

I Loved how in this book Love takes the centre stage and then bows and take a step aside for self-growth and self-love. I love how they need to be a better person for themselves in order to be so for each other, I just really liked it. It lightened up my Sunday and It trapped me from the very beginning.
I loved the alternate chapters, I think it was the best choice ever, It helped us have an insight on a character that, otherwise, would’ve been simply judged and not truly understood. As well as open our eyes to grief, sorrow and loss.

This book made me cry, swoon and feel so much, so… why only 3.5 stars?

[SPOILER- ISH]

I blame it on the ending.

After months I have Just realised I don’t miss it, I don’t have a clear image in my mind of it, it wasn’t epic, it wasn’t THAT BOOK that I will remember when I think about my books of 2019, that ending felt bland, almost anticlimactic, It was nice as a thought and I applaud the virtue behind it, but didn’t feel like in par with the rollercoaster that was the rest of the book! And that, for me, is the difference between a memorable book and… well, a not so memorable one.

4 /5 ☆
WOULD I RECOMMEND IT?
Yes, why not? It’s cute, it’s pretty and It’s well thought, I think a lot of people would love it, especially if they read it while listening to country music!
Thank you NetGalley and the publisher for an advanced copy of this book in exchange for a review. This was a light cute read. I think many will enjoy it. The cover is really pretty. I would re read works by Erin Hahn
Look, it pains me to write this because I love music books (and as much as I hate country music, I LOVED Nashville). Here's what didn't work for me:

1. No chemistry between the love interests. They're all into each other (but not, because you know we gotta have some angst) but they don't really interact?
2. The male narrator in the audiobook is flat. The spoken lyrics by both parties don't work. This is a rare case where I wouldn't recommend the audiobook.
3. Even though the main character tries to be sex positive, her comments don't feel that way. We already know the pressure she's under to be a "good girl" unlike her mother.
4. The alluded "tortured artist" with a double suicide (FYI no warning in the book).
A charming summer romance that reminded me of Open Road Summer by Emery Lord and Wildflower by Alecia Whitaker. Great for fans of Johnny and June or anyone who enjoys love stories with a touch of twang.
A lot of other readers compared this book to the movie A Star is Born, so I was really looking forward to reading this book. The beginning was kind of intriguing, and gave the readers a peak at each of their lives. But for some reason, I just couldn't get into it. I usually really love romances that involve the characters in the entertainment field, but this one didn't do it for me. Annie and Clay were great characters, but I was sort of bored with the plot itself.
I was hoping for more from this book. Parts of it were cute, but good lord, where were the adults for these children who are going around the country and apparently just doing whatever they want? What exactly are these managers doing, if not trying to make sure their clients are sober, clean and happy?

It was clear both of them had issues, but it seemed like they matured and grew over the summer. I wasn't sold on their romance by the end of the book, but there were hints that it could be real.
You'd Be Mine follows a wide array of characters but mainly Annie and Clay, two talented artists on the glow up. Much to the industry's dismay, Annie and Clay aren't on good terms. But they are forced together on a summer-long tour around the US. That's this book in a nutshell. Overall, I really enjoyed this novel! It was cute and funny while being tense and serious all at the same time. It was a beautiful combination of expertly crafted plot and writing that of someone who really knows what they're doing!
Clay is a country music's current bad boy celeb, to keep his star rising, he will need a stellar opening act. Good Girl and legacy, Annie Mathers and her band would be a perfect opening act. Annie doesn't want to fall prey to the fame game like her parents, who both died as a result, but music is her life. She decides to give the tour a chance and has hope for it, so long as she doesn't fall in love with Clay. It is through their troubled pasts that Clay and Annie find their way to each other and struggle with their futures as performers and possibly romantically.

I enjoyed this novel. I thought the dramatic past of the characters added to the story and pushed it beyond a typical fluffy romance. This is a perfect summer relaxation book, complete with outdoor country concerts and romance.
You'd Be Mine immediately caught my attention online when I saw its gorgeous cover. I mean it's just so pretty! When I read the blurb, I knew I had to read this one. Unfortunately, it didn't hold my attention. I really like the plot and think the book has a lot of potential. The romance and characters in You'd Be Mine just didn't connect with me. There isn't a specific reason I can list as to why they didn't, it just fell a little flat for me.

I have seen a lot of reviews that completely disagree with me and readers who loved Annie and Clay's story. If you've read You'd Be Mine, I would love to know what you thought about it!

I voluntarily received an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
One of my new favorite books! This author has such a way with words the pages flew by in no time! I can’t wait to see the next work by this author! This was such a joy to read!
A quick read for any fan of (teen) romance. Although the storyline was a bit predictable it was still enjoyable and I liked the addition of the song lyrics, thought that gave it a different edge.
I struggled with this book as it felt quite a cliche at times with the whole rockstar aspect. I wanted to root for the characters but nothing about them truly gripped me.
This was so much deeper than I ever expected it to be! Yes, this is a romance story that revolves around musicians and a tour, but it also deals with grief and addiction and how those thing affect people.

This is a 4.5 star for me. There were a few times that I wished we could have seen them traveling a little more. It's obvious that they were on tour, but it would end a chapter in one city and then the next chapter would be days later and in another city.
This book made me remember why I loved country music and after reading this one, I now have this weird urge to play “Jolene” on repeat. It was just so cute! But I also do want to state that while this book is adorable and is an overall fluffy YA contemporary novel with romance and great music, there were also some serious issues that were discussed in this book (i.e. suicide, addiction, alcoholism, drug use, etc.).

My favorite part of the book was how relatable the characters were. I thought that perhaps both Annie and Clay would be more of your stereotypical rich, famous and snobby teenagers but that wasn’t the case at all. Instead, I found them incredibly down-to-earth and there were multiple times when I could see myself reflected in what Annie said or did. The slow reveal of their back stories and how and why they both had their own demons to deal with was done incredibly well and it made my heart ache for the two of them. It also added a lot of character depth and development which, in turn, made them that much more realistic.

I also loved the interactions and friendships between Annie and her two bandmates, Kacey and Jason, as well as Clay’s brotherly bond with Fitz. I loved those dynamics and the roles that they played in both supporting Annie (from Kacey/Jason) and keeping Clay afloat (from Fitz). It was clear to me how much Annie and Clay meant to the others and I just adored reading about those relationships.

The one aspect that I wish was a bit stronger was the ending. It was very predictable and it didn’t blow me away. I guess after reading about the tension and the back and forth between Annie and Clay throughout the entire book, that something more intense would happen but that wasn’t the case. It was still a good ending but not a great one.

Overall, I enjoyed this book and found it very cute while it also dealt with some serious and real topics. I would also best describe this book as a mix between Forever My Girl and A Star is Born with teenagers as the lead. So if you enjoyed those two movies, like I did, then I highly recommend checking out this book!
I wish I could enjoy this book just like the majority of reviews that I read here. Unfortunately, I couldn't because neither the characters nor the plot worked for me. The characters, Annie Mathers and Clay Coolidge, are two young rising singers that ended up performing together for a summer tour, thanks to the twisted game of entertainment industry.

The story was focusing on this duo, but everything felt bland and shallow. The way they started getting to know each other, their journey during the tour, their relationship throughout the story, everything felt too cliche for me. Also, it reminded me of typical Wattpad's fanfiction (featuring popular boybands/singers with Y/N, in case you forgot). Although both of them had a tragic backstory, I just couldn't feel sorry for them, probably because their relationship is too physically oriented (multiple mentions from Annie's POV of Clay hotness and how good his butt looks in jeans) rather than emotionally connected. Clay's not doing any better since he's your typical bad boy/douchebag who's apparently, incredibly inconsistent with his own feelings and words, even the ones that he told to himself.

The plot was decent, I'd say. I couldn't be bothered since the characters ruined the whole mood for the story. I did enjoy the country musical references, especially since I'm not that familiar with this genre. The lyrics that popped every now and then in some chapters was pretty good too.

Thank you St. Martin's Press and NetGalley for providing me with an advanced reader copy in exchange for an honest review.
You'd Be Mine is a story about two teenage, popular country music singers Annie Mathers and Jefferson (Clay) Coolidge who are dealing with their own respective inner demons and tragic pasts--Annie is trying to get out of the shadows of her famous country music singing duo parents and their volatile marriage and violent death while Clay is angry with his elder brother for going off to war and dying in the ine of duty. Both are exceptionally gifted singers and when Clay gets into another violent ruckus, his label gives him the choice of either convincing Annie and her two bandmates to become the opening act on his summer tour or else kiss his contract goodbye. While on tour, both Annie and Clay gradually get to know each other, one show at a time, and realise that each one has a deeper layer to their personality.

This was a sweet, heartwarming story of two individuals who are trying to overcome the burden of their past and challenges in life, and the only way they know how to do it is through music. I liked the musical tour setting of this story and while reading this book, I kept thinking that this can be turned into a good, decent movie. I cannot say that I have listened to a lot of country music but what I have listened to, I have liked it a lot....there is something very rustic and honest about country music and this book felt the same way.

My thanks to Netgalley, the author and publisher for the e-ARC.
I enjoyed this story & would recommend it for my daughter & her friends. A good southern backdrop for great characters. Highly recommend reading this book!
This gave me Open Road Summer vibes which I absolutely loved so on-the-road country star romance story didn't come across as original if I had read this before. Annie is dealing with family demons and Clay is your bad boy star only in his late teens. I initially thought the connection might be between Annie and the drummer. I enjoyed the story but there were no big surprises.
I liked the idea of this book. You always see romance books about rock stars, but rarely country music stars. So I think I kind of had a higher expectation.

With that being said, I think I am just over the angsty male music stars. I also got annoyed with how mean Clay could be to Annie around other people. I was just like really??

It was a good, well progressing book. The characters battled their demons, in different ways.

3.5/4 stars