Killer Thriller

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 31 Mar 2019

I recently read The Secret Agent by Joseph Conrad about spies and violence and politics and it was very good. Killer Thriller is not “good” in the same way, but it is fun and funny and over the top, and it knows it. This is the second in the series and although it works as a stand-alone, the first one is a blast, so I’d read it first.

Ian Ludlow writes cheesy thrillers and one is being turned into a movie. He and his assistant Margo head to Hong Kong to participate in some of the publicity surrounding the shooting and to do some research for the novel he’s working on. The problem: once again Ian’s plot, although outrageous, is too close to reality for him to be safe. This time, his story’s about how the Chinese government is planning a coup of the U.S.A using sleeper agents in high government positions and the surveillance technology that they have hidden in all of our electronics we have purchased. The trouble for Ludlow is this is actually happening and the Chinese government thinks he knows about all their top-secret espionage. So, of course, they need to kill/kidnap him. Happily, Margo has acquired all kinds of lethal skills that help keep them safe until they can uncover the plot and save the world.

Killer Thriller does not take itself too seriously. The situations are ridiculous and dangerous and crazy and funny. It’s a great light read. The plot holds together well enough and the characters are all perfect for the story.
You are back with Ian and Margo. Starts off with another book signing and then he is off to China for the filming of the Clint Striker film. Margo has come to Ian because she is having some issues after their last adventure, so he takes her along with him to China. What Ian does not know is that his new book which is about China is a lot alike what is actually going on. there are certain people in the Chinese government that are a concern in just what is real in Ian’s book and how did he get the information. There are a few different storylines going on throughout the book which makes for a good read. The bantering of Ian AND Margo also make the story move along quickly. Once again it will take Ian coming up with a plan to save the day. The story will start in the U.S.A. to go to China, then to France and end in back in the U.S.A. There are a few surprises that keep this story moving along. I liked all of the characters and as much as difficult to follow up a second book from a very good first this is a very good job. A very good read.
I really enjoyed this book! I'd've finished it in a few hours if real life didn't get in the way. It's the next book about Ian and his writer imagination and his trusty sidekick Margo. This time, one of Ian's books is being made into a movie and he's sent to Hong Kong to watch the filming and shoot some publicity photos. And Margo joined him for this trip.

And now we have the Chinese government making his soon-to-be-written story to life. And so we're off! Gotta love Ian's imagination! And Margo is such a hoot. I like how they work together. And the twists in this was fun and unexpected.

Wonder how long do we have to wait for another of Ian and Margo's adventures?

Thank you lots NetGalley and publisher for a copy of this book! Loved it!
Thriller novelist Ian Ludlow is preparing for a trip to Hong Kong to research his latest book and shoot some promos for his book-turned-action movie Straker. He is reunited with Margo French who tags along as his research assistant. But once in Hong Kong, the Chinese government thinks Ludlow is a real American spy sent to investigate a Chinese plot to topple and control the United States. Ludlow has again eerily outlined the real plot in his latest manuscript. Ludlow and Margo evade Chinese government assassins thanks to Margo's fighting skills acquired as a newbie CIA agent. They safely escape to Singapore with a Chinese defector who holds the key to the Chinese blackmail plot involving the US Vice President. The story ratches up its pace when it becomes a race against time for Ludlow and Margo to get to Paris to save the American president from an assassination attempt during his dinner with the French President at the Eiffel Tower.

This improbable story was a quick, entertaining read. The book ends with a way forward for Ludlow and Margo to continue their combined spying and writing adventures.

I received an eARC via Netgalley and Thomas and Mercer with no requirements for a review. I voluntarily read this book and provided this review.
"Killer Thriller" by Lee Goldberg is as wonderful as the title promises. The second novel in his Ian Ludlow/Margo French series the author builds upon their adventures after they teamed up in book one.  Ludlow is an author of popular novels and Margo who was merely an author escort (for signings and such) find themselves in adventures right out of the pages of fiction.

This time around Ian and Margo head to Hong Kong where Lee can oversee the filming of one of his novels. There, the plot of the film has gained the attention of people who believe that the film company, Ludlow, French and all are a onto their crimes.  From this begins an adventure which is truly hard to put down.  Reading the novel can only be compared to the most enjoyable roller coaster ride that does not let up until the "whoosh" of the air breaks leading the reader in to the satisfying conclusion.

Though it might help to read the first book in the series - "True Fiction" - it is not necessary.  Goldberg is one of those good authors who serves his readers well.  If you forgot the plot of the first, or pick this one up first, he provides the reader with enough back story to remain fully engaged with this book.
When an author’s own work comes to life making him the star of his own story, things take an interesting and thrilling turn. Killer Thriller is not to be missed.
 Ian Ludlow has become an international bestseller with his latest thriller. Everyone loves his stories, but what everyone might not know is his fiction has a way of becoming reality. Ian finds himself in Hong Kong with his assistant Margo French to promote his book being made into a movie and uses the time to research his newest story idea. While he is there, he uncovers a conspiracy by Chinese intelligence connected to those in power in the United States and puts himself in the crosshairs when the Chinese learn what he is researching. Without meaning to, he has stumbled upon this plot and must find a way to keep the whole thing from blowing up in his face. Now Ian finds himself trapped in his own thriller, on the run from assassins and trying to prevent an epic disaster using his imagination to solve the craziest of problems even he couldn’t write.
 This was my first Lee Goldberg novel to read and I must say I am disappointed I didn’t find this series sooner as I loved it very much. Even though this was the second in the series, I enjoyed it greatly as a standalone. The characters were fun, witty, and flawed enough to make them believable in everything they did. Ian and Margo, the main characters, are a perfect pair. She is sarcastic, and he has a dry sense of humor but is able to inject humor into his writing that bleeds off the page and into his own life. There is action, adventure, suspense, romance (kind of) and enough humor to keep it lighthearted at just the right moments.
 There is a fair bit of language and adult content in the book making it unsuitable for a younger audience. With that said, it is exactly right for its intended older audience. I wasn’t sure what to expect going into this book, but it reminded me a lot of one of my favorite authors, Robert Dugoni and his writing style: sharp, tight and full of adventure. I highly recommend this for those that love adventure and a very well written thriller.
I received a complimentary copy of this title from the publisher.  The views and opinions expressed within are my own.
Lee Goldberg is a good writer. And a fun writer. His latest, Killer Thriller, is a fast read. Humor, it has been said, is subjective. Lee's and mine exist in different parts of the known galaxy. I understand the sarcastic style he is approaching; I simply did not enjoy it.
I started reading Lee Goldberg because I loved,, loved loved the Mr. Monk TV series. Then another of his characters, Charlie Willis, enchanted me for a couple of books, and I found Goldberg's standalone novel, The Walk, memorable for its true heart, its insider peak at the movie biz, and the variation on a theme running through all the author's work (ordinary guy faces extraordinary circumstances with humor and common sense).

Which means that, for me, reading the two Ian Ludlow novels has been like attending a family reunion of a fond, wacky clan. There was the constant, goofy dialogue, the practical improvisations in the face of death (in two scenes Ian's assistant Margo fends 0ff attackers with a giant dildo and with fish from an outdoor Chinese market -- whatever is at hand.)

The premise of the Ian Ludlow series is that the unprepossessing novelist and screenwriter has the uncanny knack for writing fiction that reflects -- and in some cases predicts -- clandestine geopolitical reality.

Don't be put off by the plausibility of the premise -- the books are pure fun. Or are they?

That said, I didn't enjoy this story quite as much as I have Goldberg's other books. But I am definitely along for the ride for Ian and Margo's next outing!

Thanks to NetGalley for an advance reader's copy.
Thank you Netgalley, the publisher and Lee Goldberg.
This is my first instalment of the Ludlow thrillers and it surely will not be my last.
Fast paced, action packed ride with the funny duo of f Ludlow and French who are fighting crime in Hong Kong.
Could not put this book down. Loved it.
Highly recommend
I love the Ludlow thrillers. I highly recommend reading the first one before delving into this one, to understand the characters, general themes in the series, and the references to the first book.

This one felt especially timely given the political climate of 2019. There are a ton of "coincidences" in this book, but they work within the confines of this universe. It's a pretty fun play on how fiction can imitate life and vice versa. If you're looking for a good action-packed thriller, give this one a shot.

Free version given from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Killer Thriller is another action packed, suspenseful ride by Lee Goldberg. Ian Ludlow and Margo French are together again fighting crime, not what Ian thought he was going to be doing in Hong Kong. He traveled there to watch the filling of a Clint Straker movie, based on his first book, pose for some publicity photos, and to get inspiration and details for his current Clint Straker book, with Margo as his research assistant. When they again realize that the plot of his next book is actually happening in Hong Kong, both their lives are in danger and they have to fight to survive.

I loved this book and could not put it down! I think this is one of those times that the sequel might be better than the original book. Ian and Margo get into and out of more thrilling and terrifying situations, which keeps the reader turning pages into the wee hours of the night. I'm looking forward to another book in this series. If you are a Stephanie Plum fan, you will enjoy the mishaps and solutions of Ian Ludlow.
This book is deliciously funny. Margo and Ian once again find themselves in the middle of a spy plot. This time Margo is actually working for the Agency and has the means to defend herself. She fights off bad guys with a dildo and fish which astonishes Ian. He is constantly wishing to be cool, suave and physically fit like the lead character in his books. All he has going for him is his great ability with words and making plots work. They say and the funniest things that will make you laugh out loud throughout the story. Excellent plot.
Thriller author Ian Ludlow is in Hong Kong with his assistant, Margo French, to provide feedback on a movie script and do research for his next novel. But the Chinese think they are spies and things quickly spiral out of control.

This is the second novel in the series and they are refreshingly different from other thrillers. Killer Thriller is fast and fun read that I would recommend!

Thank you to Thomas & Mercer and NetGalley for providing an ARC in return for an honest review.
This book is fast-paced action and would likely be an exciting movie.  The unlikely duo of Ian Ludlow, author, and his assistant Margo, are on another wild adventure.
Killer Thriller is a fantastic follow-up to True Fiction. It is high energy, clever and tons of fun. I really enjoyed this fast paced, witty romp taken straight from today’s headlines and anxiously await Ian and Margo’s next adventure.
This was a quick, fun and easy read. This is the second book in the Ian Ludlow series.  I had read the first, but it’s not necessary to read it before this one.  The main character, Ian Ludlow, is an author of spy novels, he and his ‘assistant’, Margo French are in Hong Kong to provide feedback on a script that is based on one of his novels.  Ian is also there to perform research on his upcoming novel and tours various locations around Hong Kong to get a ‘feel’ to realistically incorporate the location into the novel.  Unbeknownst to him, the Chinese are watching his every move and believe him to be a spy.  Soon Ian and Margo are on the run, using their wits to keep one step ahead of the Chinese. I am looking forward to the next in the series.
Completely implausible and sometimes over the top but you know what- it was a very fun read.  I missed the first one so this was a standalone; Goldberg gave me enough info to know what was going on.   Ian and Margo have found themselves in a world of trouble with the Chinese, who think he's some sort of super duper spy, which he's not (obviously!). How they get out of this mess, well, it's a hoot.  There are any number of world conspiracy/bad stuff thrillers out there right now but this is different.  Thanks to net galley for the ARC.
I latched onto this because I generally like Lee Goldberg's writing but this one seemed too far fetched for me to get into. I am kind of off spy thrillers these days.
This was my first Lee Goldberg read, however it won't be my last.

Ludlow. Ian Ludlow. Writes about spies, and now he has been drawn into a real life CIA operation.

What a fun and fantasic ride Killer Thriller was. It does kind of carry on from the first book by the looks of it, however that did not affect my reading of Killer Thriller, as we are given enough background information to get us up to speed.

I love his "partner" Margo. OMG she had me in tears of laughter at times. She was completely unexpected.

I have to say, Ian made the professionals look like idiots at times - and I liked it haha. Sucked in you smug bastards!

You never knew where the next pages of this story was going to take you, and even though you kind of knew how the story was going to end, I couldn't wait to turn each page.

I now need to go back and read the first book, and can't wait to see where this series goes next.
Killer Thriller is the second book in the Ian Ludlow Thrillers series and this is a series that only keeps getting better. This book picks up after some time has passed from the ending of True Fiction. Ian has penned another best seller and was currently out on tour with it. Not only was his latest book doing well but a Chinese film studio wanted to turn one of his books into a movie! Ian didn’t really care about the movie other than the income it would generate for him but he was going to use the time when he was in Hong Kong, on the set for publicity reasons, to do some research and site scouting for his novel in progress.

Before he has a chance to go to Hong Kong, Ian has an unexpected guest show up at his door. Margo is back and she ends up tagging along with Ian to help him get to the places he wants to see for writing inspiration. Unbeknownst to Ian, what he has been imagining for his plot in progress is closer to the truth than he realizes. When the bad guys get wind of what he knows, well, it makes Ian & Margo’s trip turn into an action-packed thrill ride that even he had a hard time believing was truly taking place.

There is a lot to love about this plot with its twists, turns, fast pacing, and plenty of humor. I also think that Ian’s character was more likable this time around. Margo though, she was probably my favorite character in the book. She was full of surprises and she also kept Ian both in check and on task. Killer Thriller was a creative story and the tongue-in-cheek humor kept me entertained from start to finish. This will absolutely be a series that I continue in because I can’t wait to see what kind of mischief Ian and Margo get into next!

This review is based on a complimentary book I received from NetGalley. It is an honest and voluntary review. The complimentary receipt of it in no way affected my review or rating.