Outrun the Wind

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 08 Nov 2018

A mythology f/f retelling that I really liked, it was slow at first and it literary took me so long to get into the action and become invested in the story. But when it happened, I started appreciating the story because it was amazing.
Thank you to NetGalley for providing me with an ARC of Outrun the Wind by Elizabeth Tammi. I've voluntarily read and reviewed this copy. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

Outrun the Wind is a Greek mythology F/F retelling about Atalanta, a legendary warrior, and Kahina, a member of the Huntresses of Artemis. A story about two fierce and powerful women, what more could you want? This is a surprising and entertaining read with fast-paced and enjoyable writing that captures your attention early on. The characters make you feel invested and root for them. This is a great spin on Greek Mythology.

I would love to read more from this universe that Elizabeth Tammi created.
I have reviewed this title on my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N69coa4eWXU&t=635s
I am very particular on what I like in regards to Historical fiction of any kind. But Elizabeth met every need as a reader. I love this book so much I bought my own copy. I love the Greek mythology and the Lbgtq plus rep in this book. I love how the two where interlace. Such a beautiful book and I am so happy that I have my own copy. I would totally recommend this book to anyone looking for a book that features a deep love of Greek mythology. Great read, one of my favorites
I'm really interested in Greek mythology, so when I heard about his book, I was intrigued. I liked the premise and with the hype around this book my expectations were really high. But as it turned out, the story was okay, I didn't love it. I don't know why. There's nothing wrong with the writing or the characters, but somehow I lost interest halfway through the book and had to make me read to the end. Maybe my expectations have been too high.
Greek mythology is my jam and I loved this. Plus look at that cover. I will come back to make a full review soon.

Thank you to the publisher and Netgalley for giving me an ARC in exchange for an honest review*
The premise of this book was so interesting. Fans of warriors and mythology will greatly want to read. I was not able to finish this book on time but I would recommend this to readers who are interested in mythology but do not yet know too much. I was not the biggest fan of the mythology aspect and since I was not able to finish this on time it is safe to say that the beginning of the book was not able to keep me interested.
This novel was a compelling and fun read! Tammi writes with conviction with two district narrators. Each of the two entwined storylines are interesting to follow. You root for both women as their lives unfold, but it does take a really long time for the main storyline to actually happen. I tend to enjoy stories like that, but I know that isn't for everyone.

I love Ancient Greek retellings. When I downloaded this, I was fresh off of Madeline Miller's The Song of Achilles, and it was hard not to compare the two titles.  In that regard, Tammi's narrative storytelling takes longer to get into, so if you are anything like me, and riding the wave of Greek love, watch out for that.

Overall, if you're into Retellings where characters that deserved better than their ancient myth get better, this is a story for you!
This book totally caught me off guard. I got it off netgalley and didn’t read the blurb at all.

I know. I do this all the time.

BUT this book was totally fantastic. This is a F/f read and was loosely based on greek mythology. I devoured it. I love when fantasy reads are loosely based of myths and this one was masterfully done.

This was a bit of a long read for me, but in the end I really did enjoy it. The plot took a bit to get into, but I enjoy that type of a read so it was a nice change of pace for me.
I found this book very difficult to get into. Being a fantasy lover and especially for a female protagonist, I had high hopes for this book. I got about 60% through and could not finish. The writing felt very elementary and there was nothing new even with the Greek Mythology undertone. I wish I could have finished, but it fell short.

Thank you for this ARC and for my honest review.
When you say female warrior and mythology it's almost a guarantee that I will read it. With that being said this just wasn't for me but I am sure that for a lot of people it's their cuppa. ‏‏‎  ‏‏‎  ‏‏‎  ‏‏‎  ‏‏‎  ‏‏‎  ‏‏‎  ‏‏‎  ‏‏‎  ‏‏‎  ‏‏‎  ‏‏‎  ‏‏‎  ‏‏‎  ‏‏‎  ‏‏‎  ‏‏‎  ‏‏‎  ‏‏‎  ‏‏‎  ‏‏‎  ‏‏‎  ‏‏‎
“Ugly words don't always mean ugly feelings.”

3 1/2 stars. Ovid found dead.

There is something very satisfying about reading a book that sees fit to rectify the sins of the past. The story of Atalanta is a story of an arrogant woman being outsmarted by a clever man — just as in the story of Circe, or of Antigone, or of any of a number of women who have been raped & betrayed in Greek and Latin myths, there is no greater sin of a woman than arrogance. In Outrun the Wind, however, Atalanta is the heroine, and her desire to not be married is not the opponent.

Outrun the Wind is, in basic conceit, a romance between the famous Atalanta and an ex-oracle of Delphi and huntress of Artemis named Kahina. And as a romance, it is quite good! We see the development from enemies, to friends, to lovers. It’s sort of heartbreaking at times and really really nice.

The idea of the power of women is very strong within this book. Our main wlw romance, for example, is based quite solidly on connection between women and intimacy between women. The very sympathetic Artemis and unsympathetic Apollo serve as another distinct and interesting choice, playing into an idea of women as the forces of good in this text.

The parts where the book faltered fell primarily in character development and plot structure. While Kahina and Atalanta are both likable enough characters, I sometimes found it slightly hard to invest in them as individuals; I feel like I got more of an essence than I got actual characterization, ya know? It just felt first-drafty.

The plot structure is another big issue; I really felt I didn’t know where this book was going for a really long time. It’s just one of those narratives that feels like it lacks thinking out from the beginning. Again, this is the kind of issue that gets ironed out in further drafts; it didn't quite feel like the book had yet arrived.

Overall, this was good, and entertaining - it just feels like it could have gone through another round of drafting.
I absolutely adored this gorgeous debut by Elizabeth Tammi! I am eager to read her upcoming second novel!
I started this book back in October I think? I really wasn't feeling it though so I decided to put it down and try again later.
And it did help. Somewhat.

But we'll start from the beginning. I requested this book on NetGalley and was so excited when I was approved. It ticks all my boxes! Inspired by Greek Mythology, a sapphic retelling with strong and independent female characters.

Sadly, even though I liked it better the second time around it still wasn't really my thing. I had several eyeroll moments and didn't connect with the characters at all. That is kinda subjective though and this book got a lot of great reviews. So if the synopsis intrigues you I would still say give it a go.

One of my pet peeve, and a thing that can literally make me dnf a book straight away, is when a character does something stupid without any proper and/or understandable reason. So, to clarify, I have no issue with rash decisions or rushing into danger, when we established that the character is a little reckless and does it to save someone they love (... Harry Potter ...) or something like that. What I do have an issue with is, when I can't understand at all why someone did it.
There was one particular instance of this in Outrun the Wind, but it was towards the end and therefore I can't talk about it without spoiling the book for you. But I think you'll know what I mean if you've read it.

As I said before, I'm a huge Mythology fan. Especially Greek Mythology as my grandfather always told me all the stories and legends. I loved that as a kid, I grew up with these people, these gods. So sometimes it is hard to see them interpreted differently by someone else. I didn't vibe with either Artemis nor Apollo and I don't think they got what they deserved. More so, they are both not very important for the story. Which isn't necessarily positive or negative. So, I think you might actually enjoy it more if you're not overly familiar with the stories of the Gods? But that's just a guess.

Kahina has the potential of being a great character, but I felt like we never really got to know her. Despite hearing her thoughts. But there was a certain depth lacking. I still liked her though. Atalanta ... less so. I didn't dislike her, but she was the one who made weird choices sometimes and I never really found her voice. Actually, despite being fairly different in temperament, it was sometimes quite hard to know which character you're with atm. They sounded very similar and I had to go back and look at whose chapter I'm at sometimes.

The story focused very much at Atalanta and Kahina and neglected the secondary characters, which I would've been fine with if I got a lot of depth in those two instead, but since I didn't I wished to know more about everyone else.
The two other huntresses were not bad, I actually liked them, but the King, for example, was very one-dimensional. Same with Hippomenes.
On top of that, the world building wasn't really there either ... I didn't feel immersed at all. Nor did it feel different than your average fantasy world.

And the romance? It was okay. Not badly done. But also nothing special. I loved the beginning of Atalanta and Kahina meeting, but the sparks were lost as the story progressed, unfortunately. Still, it was what kept me reading.

All in all, I wasn't impressed. I really wanted to like this and I gave it two chances. Ultimately this isn't for me, but I can see others enjoying it. And I can definitely see the potential. I'm gonna keep an eye out for Elizabeth Tammis next book!

I would probably recommend it to people interested in mythology but who don't yet know too much.
Being a sucker of all things related to mythology, this one is definitely on my bucket. Had a good time reading all the adventures of our amazing MC. Not sure  if it is already one but this should have more books featuring all spin-offs of our beloved gods and goddesses.
Honestly, I'm a sucker for all things mythology, no matter what kind. And since I'm a child of the Percy Jackson-generation, Greek mythology is my favourite. So I already knew this was going to be good!
And it was. I was immediately immersed in the story and cherished every word. Also, it had LGBTQIA+ rep! What more could you possibly want?
I'll be recommending this to everyone.
This was  a pretty 'meh" kind of book, it was your typical formulaic young adult fantasy novel. I felt like there needed to be more world building and character development. I liked it at the beginning but the ending was a let down. I just wanted more from a story that was about Artemis. I wanted to see more from the character and from the world she's in, and expand on the character. I was pretty bored and didn't connect to the characters.
It's Greek mythology and I have enjoyed myself reading the book from the beginning until the end of it. I love the characters, I love the story pace and the author did a wonderful job of writing such an amazing book.

5 stars
3 stars
Outrun the Wind is a fantasy inspired by Greek Mythology, one of the main characters Kahina being a huntress of Artemis and the other main character Atalanta being accused of killing Artemis's boar, and wanting to be recruited by her.
At first I couldn’t really get into the story, it was all a bit too chaotic. But after the first third the plot got pretty interesting and I was eager to know what was going to happen.
The characters were interesting and the story was definitely something different from what I’m used to read in stories set in ancient Greece. The fact that she decided to race her suitors was quite original and entertaining to read.
Still, it was an enjoyable read that I would recommend.
Thank you to the publisher and the author and to NetGalley for allowing me to read an ARC in exchange for my candid opinion.

WOW! Am amazing first book written by a college freshman.

This story is woven in and around the mythological characters of Greek mythology and is somewhat similar in genre to the Percy books. But having said that, the author has a unique voice of her own. I found the book a readable and compelling read. There was ample suspense to the book, too.

I look forward to reading more books by this author. She has a real future as an author.