Cover Image: Outrun the Wind

Outrun the Wind

I fell in love with this author and her breathtaking novel. I enjoyed the mythology aspect and the relationships between the characters very much.
A huge thank you, truly, to FLUX and Netgalley US for this book.

As a French person, I was a little scared to read a massive mythological rewriting, but as a queer one and a mythological nerd I really needed to read it. And thanks to the lockdown, I finally took some time to fly through the pages of Outrun the wind.

I really loved almost everything about that book, it’s a 5★ read. I loved my meetings with Atalanta and Kahina. They are both incredible strong female characters, I really enjoyed seeing those two women fought for what they believed in. The diversity is really great : sapphic love, POC characters. Everything is well written.

The book follows two points of view : Atalanta (the rewriting part) and Kahina (the created part) and it is absolutely stunning. Usually I prefer one POV when we get a few but not there. I loved them both, even if Kahina’s were a little bit longer.

I loved the narrative too, and all the characters are well built. I really got attached to those two women (and their enemies to lovers trope relationship), but also Nicoleta, Isadora, Phelix, Nora. As usual, I didn’t liked the gods who are truly selfish, using human beings as pets in their giant game. Appollo is the worst one, but even then, you can see how great Elizabeth Tammi’s writing is.

There is a lot of themes in Outrun the wind : all the mythological stuff, slightly draw behind the story, all the references (gods, huntresses, Delphie, the Pythia,…) but also to the myth of Atalanta itself (of course, it’s a rewriting) which seems incomplete when you read it. This allows a full story, from the Calydonian hunt to the very end of her racings. There is also a great place given to family, native, adoptive and friendly ones : the one you have and the one you get through time.

I really love this book (in case it’s not obvious), it’s really well written and the characters are well constructed. It’s a must-read for me, and I hope for you too.

Tw : kidnapping, abuse, attempted rape (or more), abandonment and quite a few deaths (animal and human).
Outrun the Wind is a YA novel written from the perspective of Atlanta, the fastest woman in Ancient Greece, and Kahina, a huntress of Artemis.
It took me a long time to get around to reading this book. I actually ended up read Elizabeth Tammi's second novel, The Weight of a Soul, last year. Sadly, the problems I had with that book are the same as the problems I had with this book.
I'll start with the positives:
1) The writing was easy to read
2) There's a sapphic romance of sorts, of the enemies to friends to lovers kind.
3) Explores sexism and gender roles

The negatives:
1) Plot lacked direction for quite a large part of the book- there was plenty of it, lots of stuff happening, but I didn't know where it was going.
2) The characters lacked depth - Atalanta and Kahina got a bit more development than the others, but that was because they had POV chapters. Their motivations were also sometimes kind of... vague.
3) Basically all the men were bad guys, which just didn't seem like a balanced portrayal, even in a highly patriarchal society like Ancient Greece.
4) It felt more like a draft than a finished book
5) It veered so far from the original myths that it was virtually unrecognisable - it's got plenty of names from Greek mythology, but that's about the extent of it. Oh, and Atalanta can run really fast.
6) Finally, I was kind of bored. I wasn't really invested in the characters, or their journeys.

Unfortunately, not the book for me.
I really enjoyed this story. I was intrigued by the premise, stories set in mythology are some of my favorites; I love reading an author's version of what the events surrounding a popular mythical tale might have been. Outrun the Wind really succeeded in making the myth of Atalanta come alive and feel real. I loved the dual POVs to really get a sense of what emotions are playing out for both Atalanta and Kahina. If you're a purist concerning mythological tales, this probably isn't for you, but if you enjoy a good spin on a classic story rooted in myth, you will love this one!

I received a free copy of this book through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
This book was an okay read. I didn't care about any of the characters so it was hard to read at times. The pacing was too slow for me too.
strong female character check, good story development also it was action pack. Going to read this books.
Outrun The Wind is a fantastic young adult fantasy novel. The Goddess Artemis is out for revenge against the King ruler. There is a fantastic and interesting war here.  Atlanta our main female protagonist is included in this trial and is a very strong individual. The descriptions have a sort of viking/norman vibe to them, steeped in history.
I enjoyed the vibe of this story as it has a feel of a fairy tale retelling or mythology. I would be recommending this fantasy adventure to anyone who is interested in history.
I was initially interested in this because of the mythology element. But I got so much more than that.
This story was bold and fast paced. I could not put it down and I'm happy to have had the chance to read it.
Disclaimer: I received an e-arc from the publisher and then bought my own copy. Thanks! All opinions are my own.

Book: Outrun the Wind

Author: Elizabeth Tammi

Book Series: Standalone

Rating: 3/5

Diversity: LGBT characters!

Publication Date: November 27, 2018

Genre: YA Fantasy

Recommended Age: 15+ (murder, violence, gore, animal death)

Publisher: Flux

Pages: 302

Amazon Link

Synopsis: The Huntresses of Artemis must obey two rules: never disobey the goddess, and never fall in love. After being rescued from a harrowing life as an Oracle of Delphi, Kahina is glad to be a part of the Hunt; living among a group of female warriors gives her a chance to reclaim her strength, even while her prophetic powers linger. But when a routine mission goes awry, Kahina breaks the first rule in order to save the legendary huntress Atalanta.

To earn back Artemis’s favor, Kahina must complete a dangerous task in the kingdom of Arkadia— where the king’s daughter is revealed to be none other than Atalanta. Still reeling from her disastrous quest and her father’s insistence on marriage, Atalanta isn’t sure what to make of Kahina. As her connection to Atalanta deepens, Kahina finds herself in danger of breaking Artemis’ second rule.

She helps Atalanta devise a dangerous game to avoid marriage, and word spreads throughout Greece, attracting suitors willing to tempt fate to go up against Atalanta in a race for her hand. But when the men responsible for both the girls’ dark pasts arrive, the game turns deadly.

Review: Overall I thought this book was really good. If you’re into Greek Mythology then this book will be amazing for you. The characters are developed and the plot is intriguing. The book is also well written and I just felt so absorbed by it.

However, the book does drop you off in the middle of everything and it’s very hard to follow throughout. The book is too fast paced in my opinion and there is a lot going on in the beginning and throughout the book. If the book had just slowed down it could have easily been a trilogy with the amount of events that happen in this book.

Verdict: It was good, but could have been less chaotic.
As you can see by my rating, I didn’t particularly enjoy Outrun the Wind. This is the second book that I have read by Elizabeth Tammi and I didn’t enjoy her other book either. The Weight of a Soul was a 2 star read as well and you can check out that review, if you are interested. Anyway, I think that Elizabeth Tammi’s books aren’t for me. That is a shame as books inspired by mythology are something that I usually adore.

Outrun the Wind has such an interesting premise and I was very exited to start reading it. Soon I discovered that I would be having problems with the book. The reason for that is that I just couldn’t get into the writing style. It took me ages to get into the story and even then I wasn’t enjoying it all that much. I can’t pinpoint what exactly what bothered me (as I usually can’t with writing styles), it just didn’t work for me. That is also the reason why I probably won’t be reading more books by this author. Also, this story was supposed to be taking place in Ancient Greece yet I didn’t get that feeling at all. It actually felt more like a fantasy world, which is something that brought me out of the story.

I couldn’t connect to the story or the characters. This partially due to the fact that I couldn’t get into the writing style. But I also felt that the characters weren’t that fleshed out, or rather some of them seemed unbelievable. Especially Artemis and Apollo, they just didn’t feel like gods – they felt very weak in the grand scheme of things (which I can’t get into because of spoilers). Kahina and Atalanta were okay, I just didn’t feel all that much towards them. Their relationship and interactions were interesting to read about, but they didn’t capture my heart. Their relationship was probably my favourite part of the book.

Overall, Outrun the Wind just wasn’t what I expected it to be. I thought I would enjoy it more, based on the premise. Apparently Elizabeth Tammi’s books just don’t work for me. I would still recommend checking this book out, if the premise interests you, as I know many other people who have enjoyed this book.
This is a really beautiful sapphic retelling of the Greek myth of Atalanta. It's a thrilling story of a girl who loses the man she thinks she loves, discovers she is a long lost princess, and falls in love with her handmaiden. The plot was a little meandering to me, but I absolutely loved the characters. If you love mythology and lgbtq themes, you'll love this story.
Sadly this book missed the mark for me. It felt a little rushed and everything was just a little bit too forced.
I was interested in reading this to see how the author would tell Atalanta’s story. If you’re up on your greek mythology you will know her story and that of Meleager, Hippomenes, Iasus and of course Artemis and Apollo.

This book takes a slightly different route. It is quite a gentle story and I felt it was missing something but I can’t put my finger on what that something is.

It’s not a badly written book and the story flows well it just wasn’t for me.

Thank you to NetGalley and Flux for the ARC
4 stars.

This story had a wonderful premise. I really love Greek inspired stories. One of my favorite parts had to do with Kahina having the power of prophecy. This was really well done.

I also loved that the gods weren't always available in the novel, so we could see the two MC's, Kahina and Atalanta trying to use their own set of skills.

Do you love mythology and YA fantasy? Then you'll want to check out this story.
It's not exactly a terrible or bad book, but I had problems with the pacing and I really didn't care about the characters. I was just so bored

Yess Greek Myths! I always love those. And I loved this story! Great one
Suggested for fans of Adrienne Young, Madeline Miller, and Tricia Levenseller.

Elizabeth Tammi's debut is well-written and follows an interesting dynamic between the two female main characters. The slow-burn enemies-to-friends-to-lovers was nicely done and evolved in a way that felt natural to them both.

There is a period of time in the middle when things slowed down, but it was wrapped up quickly and moved on with the action. There are still loose threads that I feel could have been tied up better; the motivations of some characters remained unclear to the point that I was expecting a sequel but apparently this written and intended to be a standalone. In particular, Apollo comes across as very Typical Villain (honestly, as do most of the men. Yes, men can be monstrous and historically didn't treat women very well but most of the male characters were very shallow). It never really explains what, exactly, Apollo wanted with Kahina or why her powers as an oracle served Apollo really in any way. Similarly, it isn't really explained why Artemis is AGAINST Apollo. I don't remember this being the case in traditional Greek mythos. I also wish I could have gotten more invested in Atlanta's brother, but the story never really let me connect with him. Atlanta doesn't put too much effort into connecting with him, and Kahina remains distant from him as well. Even when his love-interest arrives, we don't get the chance to become attached to him because everything that happens between them is off-screen. What happens to him in the end rang hollow and I wasn't as emotionally impacted as it seemed the author wanted me to be.

I am looking forward to Elizabeth Tammi's next novel, to see if her writing improves as she shows a lot of promise and I really DID enjoy this queer story and its Greek mythos backdrop.
I love that there was a f/f romance in this book, and I found the romance really sweet, I love how they went from enemies to lovers. My favourite type of romance to read is one where the dynamics change drastically throughout the story and that's exactly what this book gave us.

But the romance was only a tiny, short part of this novel, and literally the only thing I liked about it. The book just felt unfinished, the plot seemed muddled, it took me a while to work out what was going on. I love Greek Mythology, but I don't know much about the myth this was based on, and even if I did, I don't think it would have helped me understand the book any more. I just couldn't connect to it.

Although I enjoyed the romance, the characters were really two dimensional and the voices of Atlanta and Kahina were hard to distinguish. Artemis and Apollo were not believable gods, Atalanta even managed to run away from Artemis who is THE GODDESS OF HUNTING THINGS (!?!?!)

I was expecting a story about Artemis, my favourite Greek Goddess, and instead, I got a simple, basic story that I couldn't wait to be over. Even if a romance is good, it still needs something else other than that to make me want to keep reading...
A glorious concept and I am always here for my f/f and bi characters in retellings, but this was just a little clumsily written. The pacing was off, with many scenes just seeming rather rushed. It got rather confusing at times too with the alternating first person POV, sometimes hard to tell whose POV I was reading.
This sounded like something I would absolutely love, and I'm disappointed that I could never really get into it. Initially the cover and the synopsis drew me in, and maybe one day in the future I'll be able to give it another chance.