The Lost Queen

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 21 Feb 2019

So good. The audio is AMAZING. I bought it even though I had this ARC. And I’ll buy the hardback. I struggle with reading series, but I will definitely be ready for book 2.
I adore.historical fiction and this book wasn't the exception. I love Signe Pike. I'll write a full review soon .

Thank you to the publisher and Netgalley for giving me an ARC in exchange for an honest review*
The synopsis of The Lost Queen pulled me in, but I didn't care for the story after all. It just didn’t pull me in like I was expecting it to. I really tried to like it but I just couldn't connect with the characters. Thanks to NetGalley for an arc in exchange for an honest review.
Book is about the struggle in Ireland between the Druids and newly converted Christians.  Story goes through the struggles of how hard life was back then.  And traces family members over time.
Stunning. I love historical fiction, and I love fantasy, and this is a great mix of both. Pike does an amazing job with her descriptions, and it's truly an immersive read. However, there are quite a few characters to keep track of, and though there is list of characters at the beginning, it is still a bit hard to keep track of who is who. But thankfully there is a pronunciation guide!

Thank you to NetGalley, Touchstone, and Signe Pike for sending me the ARC in return for an honest review.
The Lost Queen tells the story of Languoreth, the sister of the man who inspired Merlin. While Scotland is rapidly becoming a Christian kingdom, Languoreth and her brother Lailoken are firm believers of the old religion. Her family also faces the threat of an Anglo-Saxon invasion. However, the hero Emry Pendragon and his army fights to defend Scotland from the potential invaders. Languoreth finds love with Maelgwn, Emrys’ right hand soldier. However, she is engaged to be married to Scotland’s prince Rhydderch, who is in line to be the next king. CanLanguoreth remain true to her ways and her heart?

Before I read this novel, I had never heard of Languoreth or that she was the brother of the man who is the inspiration for Merlin. So, reading her story was truly a delight. Languoreth was a very compelling character. Most of the story takes place when she is a young girl. With the help of a Wisdom Keeper, she learns of the magic of the old faith. Languoreth also struggles between wishing to marry for love and marrying for duty. I also liked how Languoreth is determined to protect the faith of the old religion from becoming non-existent. Thus, she was a steadfast and resolute character.

Overall, this novel is about duty, love, family, and religion. The Lost Queen had well-developed characters. The writing was very detailed and made medieval Scotland come alive. The novel was not without its flaws. The romance between Languoreth and Maelgwn was immediate upon first sight. Also, Maelgwn did not appear enough in this novel to make me believe that their romance could stand the test of time. Also, The Lost Queen ended abruptly, and I thought that there could have been a better way to end it. Still, as a fan of King Arthur legends, I loved how the myths were interwoven within the novel. I look forward to reading more about Languoreth’s epic journey. The Lost Queen is an enchanting novel for fans of Women of the Dunes, Avelynn, and Daughter of Destiny.
I was so excited to read this book for a simple reason - Merlin.  I read it within 72 hours and to be honest with you the book did not amaze me. In fact it was just fine. Writing was fine. Plot should have been better. The question is if I want to continue this series. Perhaps some day, but not today.
I liked the synopsis of The Lost Queen, but I didn't care for the story after all. I think I'm just not a fan of the time period. I tried but couldn't connect with the characters. Thanks to NetGalley for an arc in exchange for an honest review.
Did not enjoy this book that much. Blocks of description are not really my thing but I know that a lot of other readers like that. Good plot and world building though
This book is an old story told in an original manner with many new facets to keep it interesting.  The author did a very good job of melding her new story line into a believable piece of history.  While the days of Arthur are not me favorite piece of history, I still found the book an enjoyable read.
''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
Great book about a forgotten Briton queen, and an interesting hypothesis about the origins of King Arthur... Scottish!.. Who knew?!.. But the evidence laid out in the afterword is well-researched and compelling and the fictionalized account of the primary characters is well-written... Enjoyed it a great deal.  Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for the opportunity to read and provide an unbiased review
Thank you Thank you Thank you for an ARC of this book!!! I love historical fiction and this book fascinated me.It grabbed me right off the bat and I devoured it. I absolutely can not wait until the second in the series comes out!!! I highly recommend this book.
This is such a great book! Based off of some little-known history about the idea that Merlin may have been a true historical figure, with a twin sister, this book introduces us to them both. Told from his sister's perspective, it's a fascinating look at the times then and the making of them both - this figure that survives in myth and magic, and this powerful queen who has been lost to history. The storytelling is beautiful and evocative, and I'm very much looking forward to the second book.

NOTE: I listened to the audio version of this, and the narrator is FABULOUS. Her voice is lush and lovely and honestly, if she could come over and read me bedtime stories every night I would be happy.
Magic, history, and folklore all wrapped up in one amazing book. I did not want this book to end and am so thankful that this is a part of a trilogy so I can spend some more time with these amazing characters. This book reminded me of mists of Avalon in a completely different light.
I wasn’t able to get through this book. It was well written and the base for the story is fabulous. However, I personally did not connect with the characters. It was a no for me but I definitely recommend giving it a shot and decide for yourself.
Wow. Just wow. All I have to say is: HOW LONG DO I HAVE TO WAIT FOR THE NEXT BOOK?!?!

For any historical fiction, fantasy, Outlander fans, this is a guaranteed great read for you. The Lost Queen is not getting the hype it deserves. Set in ancient Scotland, this Aurthurian tale focuses on Languoreth, the daughter of one of the Scotland kings. Readers will follow her through an impeccable historical fiction starting with her childhood and ending as a mother and new queen.

Here are some of the reasons I love this story
1) It is a new twist on the Merlin tales. Languoreth's brother, Lailoken is a druid who is now known as Merlin.
2) It discusses the violence and issues that came with the beginning of Christianity.
3) The loveliest of love triangles.
4) A brave and ferocious protagonist who fights for all the right things.
5) Really great, and really awful characters

I will continue to recommend this book to all book lovers for the rest of my days. I will also continue to count down the minutes until the second installment of this story is released.
I've read my share of Arthurian stories. I mean, what's not to like about tales of heroic deeds, romance, and mystical quests, right? But I'd have to go all the way back to my reading of The Mists of Avalon in the late 1980s before I came to a book that entranced me as thoroughly as The Lost Queen. Nearly everything about this book from the setting, to the characters, to the political maneuverings of different factions made the book hard to put down.

I've long understood that Arthurian lore recounts a king from the Dark Ages, rather than Middle Ages, but I'd never before considered the idea that Arthur's stories were misplaced geographically as well as temporally. Signe Pike researched extensively for this book and writes a convincing tale set in 6th century Scotland. (Be sure to read the end note — it's fascinating.) Although The Lost Queen is not a scholarly book, Pike gives so much attention to detail that the story feels real. It's not just that the setting and customs are realistic, the characters themselves are also largely historical figures, albeit ones we know little about beyond their existence.

Pike richly evokes each character, giving them realistic motivations, distinct personalities, and relatable weaknesses. Languoreth, the bright and occasionally willful daughter of a regional king, finds herself forced into a political marriage with Rydderch, son of the King of Strathclyde, despite having given her heart to a warrior named Maelgwyn. Lailoken (who comes down to us as Merlin), studious and yet eager for battle, is chosen to become a Wisdom Keeper (druid) in the face of the growing Christianization of his people. In keeping with the social strictures of the historical period, the author allows her characters to suffer and readers to feel that suffering. Seriously, Pike is so mean to them. It was glorious.

The plot of The Lost Queen is a bit of a slow burn. The story starts with the two main characters, Languoreth and Lailoken, at about ten years old, and progresses about five years between each of the four sections of the book. As the children grow into their adult roles, the story becomes more complex. Dark Age warfare and politics impinge on the lives of the twins and channel them into specific roles, putting each in greater and greater danger, especially where duty conflicts with personal desires.

I absolutely loved The Lost Queen—the story, the characters, the history. I probably would have read this book straight through if it hadn't been for my kids wanting to be fed and have clean clothes. I was so sucked into my e-reader that I didn't even realize the book was over 500 pages until I sat down to write this review! I will definitely be rereading The Lost Queen and recommending it to family and friends.

And now, to wait (im)patiently for the next book in the series...

P.S. You might want to photocopy or take a screenshot of the pronunciation guide for reference. It will make your reading much easier if you're like me and have difficulty with Celtic names.
What a tremendous work of historical fiction this book is!

The Lost Queen is a large book, coming in at just over five hundred pages, and somehow the entire book is page-turning and impossible to put down. This book touches on so many topics that it's almost hard to bring all of the thoughts I've had together into one book, but suffice to say that this is a novel that truly brings historical figures and stories to life.

Pike has a wonderful quality of prose that makes the pages fly by. I also appreciated how obvious it was that Pike put a lot of effort and detail into her research for this book, and it absolutely paid off.  Languoreth is a fascinating character that I could not get enough of, and the rest of the characters that are featured in this book (and there are quite a few!) are all equally interesting and well-drawn, whether I liked them personally or not.

Overall, I've given The Lost Queen four stars! I highly recommend this one if you love historical fiction!
I LOVED this book. Seriously, could not have loved it. Filled with rich, historical details and sumptuous settings. Can't wait for the next book.