Bear's Adventure

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

A funny children's book with beautifully detailed and colorful illustrations. About a bear who takes off in a hot air balloon and has quite an adventure! He makes many choices that lead him on a wild ride, and he never knows what is happening to him, because they are choices he has no knowledge about. It's funny what other people read into his adventure.
The illustrations are super colorful so I'm sure children everywhere will love them, but it almost bordered on gaudy and their sort of unfinished quality was not my cup of tea.  Then, the story seemed a bit stilted - like the illustrations came first, and he had to make the story fit.  The plot was hilariously improbable (poor Bear!), but the writing just didn't flow well and seemed to lack segues from one scene to the next.
I love Brian Wildsmith!  The art is beautiful and lush.  Bear's adventure was great fun.  This does not disappoint.
Brian Wildsmith is great at creating stunning colorful illustrations, but not as much as writing stories. This one was long, improbable, and I only felt sorry for the bear all along. Let's leave the bear alone and happy.
After two men land their hot air balloon to have a snack, a curious brown bear wonders over. Bear finds the balloon's basket interesting and climbs in for a nap. While he sleeps, the hot air balloon whisks him away high in the sky. While the balloon flies high over a city, bear awakens, and eventually floats to the ground below where his adventure begins.

We thought the story was interesting and funny at times, however, what really caught our attention were the illustrations. The book is so colorful. I thought parts of the story were a little over the top and a little confusing, but it's a children's book and a bear flying in a hot air balloon isn't really realistic as it is, so I was willing to overlook the outcome at the end even with its unlikeliness. Overall, this is a cute children's book, perfect for young readers.

4****

I'd like to thank NetGalley for sharing this book with me in exchange for my honest review.
Oh how we loved this book. The story is original and fun, and the illustrations are simply stunning. My boys loved the story so very much, they giggled throughout the book. I have a feeling this will be a new bedtime favorite. I would highly recommend this gem.
This was cute! I loved the bears adventure first in the balloon, then leading the parade. Too, too funny! Bear was so confused by what was happening to him. And I loved the reaction of all the people he encountered! Kids are going to enjoy this story. The illustrations were so detailed and lively. Great story!
This is a great bedtime story for young children and a good intermediate reader book. This is the story of Bear. One day a balloon lands near him and he goes in it thinking it was a good den to take a nap. While asleep the balloon takes off with Bear in it. When he woke up he was floating over a city which he thought was strange trees,. A bird puctures the ballon and it lands in a costume party where they think he has the best costume. Being scared of all the noises he gets into a cab with a tv reporter and winds up on television. All the while people thinking this is a costume and he is not a real bear. Bear has more adventures more places and the story goes on from there. Illustrations are very cute and rough which goes with the story. I recommend this book to 3-7 yr olds.
I received this book in exchange for my honest opinion.
Probably my favourite of Brian Wildsmith's works so far. Humour is quite similar to Wildsmith's 'Give a Dog a Bone', as it's very bumbling, polite British humour in a way. I could see a parent and their child mutually enjoying this book.

Some of the work I've seen in Wildsmith's other picture-books is quite clumsy, but the illustration in this was really lovely. There were some pages that were really visually stunning, and Wildsmith did things with pattern and space I have seen few other illustrators do.
A bear goes on a grand adventure when he stumbles into a hot air balloon.  This leads to a meandering that gets him on TV, in a foot race, and eventually a concert.  Everyone thinks he is a man in a suit, instead of a real bear.  The story is long and winding.  The idea is nice, but very improbable, but not in the funny slapstick way, more the depressing “poor bear” way.
I wanted to like this one. I really, really did, as the pictures are beautiful and unique, and the concept seemed interesting to an adult and entertaining to a child.

The story, however, felt a little clunky to me. It didn't transition smoothly, and I felt that some parts were a stretch. I understand it's all fantastical, for sure, but things like someone hearing a bear say "grr grr grr" and thinking he said "a sports stadium" is just a little too far for me. I can't wait to check out more of Brian Wildsmith's books, though, as I think I'd love his illustrations in other books.
THE. COVER. OF. THIS. BOOK. Is so beautiful. I am a huge bear lover so a bear in a bright and colorful basket? I'll take it.

When two strangers make a stop in their hot air balloon to grab some food, Bear finds their den pretty cozy. He wakes up to find himself floating over a very odd forrest indeed and has a grand adventure, making a commotion in the human world.

When he's had enough, he mysteriously meets back up with the two men who decide to go back to the forrest to grab another bite to eat, dropping Bear right back where he started.

This isn't a book with a moral or concept to it, it's just a fun, beautiful adventure book. We've covered a lot of concept books on Mrs. Motley's Bookshelf, so this was a refreshing break. Bear finds a cozy basket, goes on a wild adventure, and somehow ends up right back at home. It's very reminiscent of a dream.

There are quite a few words per page, so it's for a reader that can be more attentive to the story, but the word choice makes the flow of the book a breeze to read through. A five year old should have no problem listening attentively.

The illustrations are stunning. If there's any book that you'll want to showcase, this will be one of them. The colors and illustrative style lend themselves well to a magical setting and I could honestly frame any given page, that's how beautiful it is.
I had a lot of fun reading Bears Adventure. Right from the beginning, you get taken on an amazing adventure. Bear gets to visit all kinds of places all because people think he is someone in a costume. He rides in a taxi, partakes in a race, goes on TV, and even takes a ride in a helicopter. Kids will have a blast seeing all the beautiful illustrations and joining him on this journey.
Bear mistakes a hot air balloon for a cozy den. When he wakes up, he finds himself on the adventure of a life time across a bustling city.

So much of this book was whimsical and fantastical from being a part of an animal themed parade to being chauffeured to a news station to do an interview to being driven on the back of a motorcycle. It was definitely an adventure of grand proportions. Also, the watercolor art in this book was absolutely beautiful!
After my interaction with this glorious picturebook, I looked for more of Brian Wildsmith. And why I  look for more when I take a bite of something so savory, is because I might just find an old friend I didn't recognize. Two of his many books, Cat on the Mat and Squirrels are in my collection. I share them on the Autumn book shelf, and even use my multiple copies of Cat on the Mat for emergent readers during their guided reading groups. So back to Bear's Adventure...The  illustrations are stunning. Each page is like a painting or a one of a kind greeting card, sharing beautiful animals, prints, textures, and colors. I have read other fictional tales about bears ending up in the city and confusing man made purposes from the natural world, but I haven't before this book, watched a bear be mistaken for a man in a costume after falling asleep in a hot hair balloon and ending up in a parade. Nor have I seen an urban environment displayed with such colorful and gentle texture and delicate care. This picturebook has adventure, humor, and reminds us that even a moment spent among chaos, has perfection. Bear just goes along with every unraveling mishap, seeming to be led a step closer to where he is suppose to be- no matter what direction he takes to get there.
Bear finds a recently landed hot-air balloon and takes a nap in its basket. As he sleeps, the hot-air balloon takes off, and Bear's adventure begins. Landing at the beginning of a costume parade lets everyone assume that Bear is just a man in a costume, so he is able to go from event to event (from being interviewed by a reporter to riding on a motorcycle and more). Bear, however, is still a bear and is easily spooked by loud noises and too many people around him. He eventually makes his way back home, but truly has an adventure along the way.

Overall, Bear's Adventure had potential but something was a bit off. It may be the longer text or the odd situations bear found himself in, but I was hoping for more out of the text. The illustrations, on the other hand, are quite unique and interesting and helped carry the story.
I received an ARC from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I loved the style of pictures in this book. They were very colorful and unique. The story started out pretty well, but it got bogged a little in the middle. It was cute, just maybe a little long for smaller kids.
It is almost as if this story was written to showcase the illustrations. Bear climbs into a hot air balloon that floats away when he accidentally falls asleep. He ends up landing in a town and then has all sorts of exciting things happen to him along the way. Of course, the people who live there think he is a man in a bear suit. He gets picked up by two men in a hot air balloon (the same ones? How did they get the balloon back?) and taken back home. That is about it. Not sure what I think as far as a rating goes. The pictures held the attention of my grandson and he talked about them, but he didn't seem to be impressed with the story. I give it 3 stars because of the illustrations.
Much like other Brian Wildsmith work, the story of Bear's Adventure is fine, but it's the artwork really shines. There are some truly beautiful illustrations in this book, and some are detailed enough to allow curious little ones with strong imaginations to build upon the existing story.  This is definitely a good cuddle to read together book.

Thank you to NetGalley and Star Bright Books for providing me with a free electronic ARC of this book.
While the illustrations were done very well, the story was a little lacking.  The text was on the long side for a children's book and some of the things that happened to the bear were strange.