The Memory House

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 02 May 2019

Rachel Hauck is always a good read and this book is no exception. A woman trying to deal with the hurt in life. Hauck conntines to point out that God can take bad things and turn them good. I love this book so much
THOUGHTS AND REVIEW OF THE MEMORY HOUSE BY RACHEL HAUCK:  Where can you go wrong with a Rachel Hauck read.  If you have never read a Rachel Hauck book, please pick this one up and you will be hooked.

Rachel takes you through the lives of Beck Holiday, Bruno Endicot, Everleigh Applegate.  It is a time hop novel that intertwines these people.  Secrets that lay hidden only waiting to be discovered.

Come within the pages of The Memory House and discover what secrets are waiting to come to light and how these lives will all come together.
BEAUTIFUL STORY OF HOPE!

“I’m just saying God has a way of taking the worst situation and turning it for good.”

Rachel Hauck takes this theme and showcases it throughout her latest novel, THE MEMORY HOUSE. It’s a time slip story of the lives of Everleigh Applegate and Don Callahan and Beck Holiday and Bruno Endicott. Everleigh and Don own a home affectionately known as “The Memory House.” Bruno grew up across the street from Everleigh. Beck’s family used to vacation at Everleigh’s home.

Both women have lived through their share of loss. Their losses have left them empty, scarred and wondering if they would ever be able to be happy and know love again. Though they are separated by 50 years, they have more in common than most people. Everleigh loved Bruno and Beck and invested her time with them when they were children. She also recognized a part of herself in Beck. It’s as though Beck was the daughter Everleigh never had. The Memory House itself serves as a silent character in this novel as it’s the constant that ties them all together.  Don and Bruno prove themselves time and again to be men who are trustworthy, loyal, kind and will always put their significant other’s needs before their own. Through it all, Hauck continues to point the reader to God by taking the worst situation and working it for good. She accomplishes this subtly by incorporating it into the story as the natural process of things rather than being overtly Christian. This is a wonderful book from start to finish and I highly recommend it! I was provided an ARC of this novel by Thomas Nelson Publishers and NetGalley. The opinions expressed here are completely my own and without influence.
"I'm just saying God has a way of taking the worst situation and turning it for good." Although I won't quote which character said this, I will say that it came at the perfect time in this breathtaking novel from Rachel Hauck. I have yet to meet a book of hers that I don't love, but this book is something different. I don't know if it's the characters, the setting, the plot, or the two time periods, but this book left me hanging on every single word I read. I read it slowly so that I could savor every page, every chapter. And it was well worth it.

Hauck is a master of time slip novels. She easily provides two completely different storylines, but somehow manages to blend them seamlessly together at the end in a way you didn't always see coming (most of it I could, but there were a few pleasant surprises). The worlds that she creates in this novel are inviting, welcoming, and just somewhere that I want to jump into. I want to sit on the porch on this beautiful house, sipping coffee and reading a new book (by Hauck perhaps!). I want to befriend Beck and learn about her past right along with her. Or talk with Everleigh about taking care of her mother, and how she needs to get out more. You cannot help but feel connected to these characters as you continue to read this story.

Something else Hauck is great at? Telling us something important. That quote I mentioned earlier is really the founding message of this book in my opinion. Bad things happen, but God can turn them to good in many wonderful, beautiful ways. Bruno had to start over, and it certainly wasn't easy for him after losing his job. Beck had little to no memories of her childhood, and had to struggle to figure out why. Everleigh lost two very important people in her life, and yet had to figure out how to keep living in spite of them being gone. Now I won't say what wonderful things happened, because you'll obviously need to read the book, but Hauck proves in this book that God knows exactly what He's doing. Even when things seem rough, there is a reason. Even when it seems like there is absolutely no hope, there is. Our hope is in the Lord, and He alone can help us.

The Memory House is a creative story that I can see myself reading over and over again. The stunning setting and relatable characters make it a warm and inviting place that I don't want to leave. I can see this on my favorite lists this year! I received a complimentary copy of this book. I was not required to write a favorable review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
I really loved this unique story of what a “leap of faith” love really is.  I mean that truly.  Anyone who has ever been in love knows there is an intrinsic “leap of faith.”  It might be letting go of fear, prejudice, or just memories and sometimes it’s the most precious of all TRUST.  Trust is taken on faith, until it is proven wrong, for many this is the hardest leap to make.  You have to trust they won’t lie, leave you, or break your heart.  When you make that leap, you have to believe what is in the landing is more precious than all the things you’ve held onto and that the other person WILL catch you.  It’s a scary enterprise this thing we call LOVE.
Rachel reminds us of that in The Memory House.  Although this story takes place in two time periods with unrelated women, it is something to behold their journey to their “leap of faith” and how much change comes between like and leap for each of them.  Both of these romances are hard fought and have lots to overcome, but somehow they each get to make that “leap of faith.”  I was glad to feel like I was part of their journey.  Her prose are elegant and sweet and emotional all the way through.
Don’t let yourself be dissuaded from this book based on how hard the romance is for each of them because of their losses.  There is so much more going on and to see how tragedy shapes each of them and how they both move forward, but in different ways is rewarding in the end.  This book will surely make it to my TOP 10 for 2019 because of the “leap of faith.”  So for that reason, I’m giving this a 5 of 5 rating.  Enjoy this masterpiece.
I knew right away that I was going to enjoy every minute of reading the new Rachel Hauck's book.  The Memory House captured my attention as I got to know Everleigh and Beck.  I loved how Ms. Hauck combined their two stories into one.

I didn't want to be partial to one or the other character.  But I was pulled into Everleigh's story.  I felt her pain.  I cheered when she triumphed.  I can see why the kids in the neighborhood were drawn to her.  I was wishing she was my neighbor.

I don't doubt that The Memory House will remain in my memory as a sweet story of overcoming grief and the gift of healing on the other side.

Rachel Hauck will remain on my must read author's list.
This book captured my attention from the start. I finished it in about three days. I liked each timeline and felt like it worked together to make an satisfying ending. It was cool how each story started and ended with the Memory House. I liked both Beck and Evelyn and found myself wanting to hang out with them.
I like how there are many wonderful truths and lessons eaved throughout the book. I think that the reader can learn along with the characters

I recommend this book to my family and friends.

I received this book from the publisher to read and give my honest opinion. All thoughts are my own.
I wasn’t sure what to expect from the title, but this compelling book forged its way into my heart as I connected with the characters and their troubles and triumphs. A time-slip novel, the story connects events from 1953 and 9/11 with the present day. Even a destructive tornado and a hurricane challenge the intriguing cast that populates the pages—from a Texas rancher to a New York City female cop, along with a sports agent and a car salesman. Memories lost and those treasured work their way to the surface as the story progresses. The unique tale is unforgettable. I wish the story would continue. I liked to see the characters grow and emerge stronger, as we all should from the trials we endure. The author did a great job at developing the dramatic saga. I received a copy from Celebrate Lit. All opinions are my own.
Embracing the future means remembering the past . . .

When Beck Holiday lost her father in the North Tower on 9/11, she also lost her memories of him. Eighteen years later, she’s a tough New York City cop burdened with a damaging secret, suspended for misconduct, and struggling to get her life in order. Meanwhile a mysterious letter arrives informing her she’s inherited a house along Florida’s northern coast, and what she discovers there will change her life forever. Matters of the heart only become more complicated when she runs into handsome Bruno Endicott, a driven sports agent who fondly recalls the connection they shared as teenagers. But Beck doesn’t remember that, either. Decades earlier, widow Everleigh Applegate lives a steady, uneventful life with her widowed mother after a tornado ripped through Waco, Texas, and destroyed her new, young married life. When she runs into old high school friend Don Callahan, she begins to yearn for change. Yet no matter how much she longs to love again, she is hindered by a secret she can never share. Fifty years separate the women but through the power of love and miracle of faith, they each find healing in a beautiful Victorian known affectionately as The Memory House.

My Thoughts:  This is a very compelling story.  It is full of life's issues that some of us will deal with in one way or another.  This is a novel that is hard to put down from the minute the reader starts reading.  Author Rachel Hauck has a knack for telling a fabulous story, that involves the readers into the lives of the characters she creates.

This novel shows us how one life can touch many, through the character Miss Everleigh.  A loving woman who had been through traumatic experiences, and loved God and family.

This is a story about God's love and His miracles and how He works in our lives through others.  I  truly enjoyed this story and highly recommend it for others to read.  I look forward to reading more from Rachel Hauck.
Rachel has the unique ability to take a theme and develop it into a story of hope even when the characters are in the worse situation that one can imagine. God , alone, has the ability to heal the past and give us hope for the future. Rachel clearly shows this in her new novel. This is a beautiful story of two women whose lives are intertwined although separated by  fifty years.

Love , fear, loss of hope, are all experienced by the main characters. They are so vividly described that the reader immediately becomes one with them, feeling their every hurt as well as when they succeeded in finding joy amidst the storms. I was caught up in the lives of these people so much so that  at times, the world around me ceased to exist, as I lived life alongside them. The Memory House brings  these flawed , very realistic individuals together in spite of all that has gone on in their lives. There is a very real message underlying this story of healing, God and He only, can heal hurting hearts and supply each of us with what we need to find joy, even in the toughest situations.

The intertwining plots are chock full of unexpected action and surprises. Just when the reader relaxes and thinks that the characters are on their way to  a happier future, reality kicks in! Unexplained tragedies and hurts once again arise.

Overall, the reader is left with an intense desire to keep trudging along in life's battles. God is with us in the hardest moments and will see us through. There is always hope for a positive and joyful future that is only possible through His leading.

A five star book!!! FANTASTIC READ!!
I pick up books by Ms. Hauck without even reading the description anymore because I have grown to love to her dual timeline style of writing. Every book I have read has captured my heart in some way and this one was no exception.

While I enjoyed the modern day storyline it was the characters of the past that really pulled me in. My heart hurt for Everleigh and what she experienced through the Waco tornado. I fell in love with Don and really liked how he treated her.

Both Everleigh and Beck have suffered devastating loses and are struggling to overcome them. Both women have men in their lives who love them but they are too fearful to accept their love. We get to see these two women find healing through a loving God, realize what is truly important and experience a second chance at happiness.

The overall message I take away from this story is that God is with us through everything and will help us through. As one of the characters said: “God has a way of taking the worst situation and turning it for good.” I am glad I read this book and the ending left me satisfied.

"That's not what I mean, but life, miracles, have a way of coinciding."

I have read several Rachel Hauck novels and enjoyed them, but I think this one is my favorite so far.  I loved the dual time line and the many connections between the historical pair, Everleigh and Don, and the present day pair, Beck and Bruno.  Each had been strongly affected by something in their past that was preventing them from moving forward into a new life.  Each of the women are dealing with grief and survivor's guilt.  Don is held back by what he feels he owes to his father and his own desires, and Bruno from the death of his father while he was young.  I love the role the Memory House played for each of them as they found strength and forgiveness to move forward in God's hope.

Hauck's writing flowed marvelously as she wound her way through all 4 major characters and their thoughts and feelings.  Some dual time lines feel disjointed, but I never felt that throughout this seamless novel.  I also appreciated that the romance was not the main focus but rather played into the story in the background with the main characters focused more on determining how to move on with their lives.

I loved the small town of Fernandina Beach which was a perfect setting for the Memory House.  My favorite part was when Beck realized that both her father and her Heavenly Father loved her as she sat in church listening to the praise song, "Good, Good, Father."

**I received a complimentary copy of this book  from Thomas Nelson Publishers through NetGalley.  Opinions are mine alone. I was not compensated for this review.
The Memory House was absolutely amazing! I loved both stories in this dual timeline novel equally. I couldn't put it down. I had to keep reading to find out what was going to happen in the two very different stories.
The author did an amazing job of making this book very enjoyable and memorable.
I highly recommend to anyone that loves romance and forgiveness of the past.

I'd like to thank to the publisher for giving me the opportunity to read this book in exchange for my honest review.
It is perfect love that drives out all fear

I love all of Rachel Hauck’s books, and this one was again top-notch!  What a wonderful story of God’s love woven throughout the fairy-tale-like story of these endearing characters. It’s actually two stories in one, and the connection between them is the memory house.  I found the characters immediately relatable and real. Both humble, yet strong, they’ll leave a place in your heart long after finishing the book.  Everleigh, oh what a delightful yet broken woman she was, so afraid of giving up her past and moving forward.  The childhood relationship between Beck, a strong yet not so strong NYPD cop, and Bruno, the sometimes insecure sports agent, is allowed to mature only through their individual confrontations with their pasts.  And Beetle-Boo – he’ll warm your heart!

I received a complimentary copy of this book from Thomas Nelson publishers through NetGalley and was under no obligation to post a positive review.  All opinions are my own.
Rachel Hauck's The Memory House was a wonderful book and I did not want it to end. The book starts out with a catastrophe that leaves a young woman devasted. Later a young man falls for her and is able to make her feel alive again. But she feels guilty about moving on. Will this guilt destroy the relationship before it even starts? Meanwhile, 50 years later an NYPD Sargent is trying to deal with her memory loss. Then the unexpected makes the past and the present collide. Would highly recommend this book for those that enjoy women's literature, romance, and drama.
Really enjoyed this wonderful, intriguing story written by Rachel Hauck.  “The Memory House” is a duel timeline novel following two women, both fighting their own memories.
I was captivated from the first pages to the last pages.... I just had to find out where the story was heading and what was the ending going to be?
This story contains quite a few difficult subjects such as unwed mother issues, adoption, unexpected deaths as well as tackling the tragedy aspect of 911.
Watching the characters grow in their faith was inspiring.   A truly heartwarming, heartfelt story from the beginning to the very end.
I received this arc from NetGallery in return for a honest review.  I was not required to post a positive review.
Another exceptional read from Rachel Hauck.  She truly is a master at twining two stories together into one seamless read.  Lost dreams and memories are the focus of this book and how we deal with them and move on with our lives.  I received this book in exchange for an honest review.
This was a dual timeline story that tells the story of Everleigh Novak Applegate beginning in 1953 and Beck Holiday in the present. When a tornado slams through Waco, Texas (a true event) Everleigh loses her father, husband and in-laws. She and her mother begin a seven year widowhood that is not healthy for either of them. Beck Holiday has lost the memories of her early life. When her father is killed in the 9/11 tragedy, she develops amnesia and is unable to remember him. Beck is a NY City Police Sergeant who has recently found out she is pregnant from a one-night, poor decision. She lets her emotions get the best of her and attacks a perp getting herself suspended. While on suspension, she received a letter from a lawyer letting her know she had inherited a house in Fernandina, Florida. Little does she know that her life is about to undergo a huge change.

When I read a book with Dual-Timelines, I often enjoy one more than the other. In this book, Rachel Hauck has done a wonderful job with both stories and woven them together so well, that I was entranced by the whole book. She has written wonderfully flawed characters. They have made mistakes and need to be able to forgive themselves. The Memory House is a great setting for the healing that needs to happen. Both Everleigh and Beck have love waiting for them, but can they accept it? Neither of them believes they are deserving of love yet, they love the men that want them. They are strong, independent women, willing to make the ultimate sacrifice. Each of them has been shaped by a disaster in their past. Both Bruno and Don are caring, understanding, persevering men, who are willing to wait for the love of their lives. There is a wonderful Christian storyline in the book. You will read about forgiveness and when you realize that you have already been forgiven by your Heavenly Father, it is much easier to forgive yourself. I very much enjoyed this story, the characters both in the past and present, and the redemption and forgiveness they received. I definitely recommend this book to those who enjoy Christian Romance, Historical Fiction and Dual Timeline Novels.
Everleigh and Brett have their young, married life ahead of them. Until, a tornado takes him away, along with his parents. This leaves young, devasted, pregnant widow Everleigh back at home with her mother to deal with the huge upheaval.

Fifty years later we have Beck Holiday, an unwed, pregnant policy officer from the NYC area who finds her situation at loose ends, due to post 9/11 memory amnesia and her new pregnancy. Once next-door neighbors to Everleigh, Beck is willed Everleigh’s estate after Everleigh dies. Thus, the story begins.

Beck has struggled for over 10 years with the memory loss. She is high functioning, but cannot remember anything from pre 9/11. To claim the estate in Florida, she takes a needed leave from work and travels home. Healing takes place at this house, much like it did for Everleigh years ago.
What an incredible book! The author grabbed my attention at the very beginning and I didn’t stop reading until I had finished the story. The plot lines in the book certainly kept me wondering where I was going next, and with whom. Between a devastating tornado, a hurricane, amnesia, lies and the horror of 9/11 I loved the way the author brought faith back to the center of the lives of her characters. They learned that dependence on God as well as forgiveness of yourself and others could bring a peace and joy that was real. Memories are a funny thing - it’s hard to imagine losing them all. Perhaps we all need a ‘Memory House’ to realize how blessed we really are!
I received an ARC through NetGalley and CelebrateLit. All opinions and impressions are my own.