Say You're Sorry

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 12 Mar 2019

Loved the cover, but the story was too slow paced for me. It was my first time reading this author. Maybe it was just my mood that day?
Breathtaking action kicks off the new Sacramento spin-off series from Karen Rose! A thwarted kidnapping had me entrenched immediately as it played out before my eyes, and before I knew it I was inside the mind of a killer as he plotted his revenge. The characters were intriguing and kept me riveted to find out what was going to happen next. Can't wait for more in the series!

Daisy Dawson can sense that someone is following her and when she turns to confront him, he attempts to abduct her. Little does she know that the man she's struggling with all of her might against is a local serial killer satisfied that she'll be his next victim since she got in his way. She manages to get away but not before snatching a piece of evidence from around his neck ... a locket with a distinct design on it.

FBI Special Agent Gideon Reynolds receives a call that there has been a development on the symbol he has flagged to be notified about if it's ever seen. He arrives on the scene to examine the locket and finds that it is definitely connected to the case he's been trying to solve for 17 years.

Gideon and Daisy team up to find out more information as bodies begin to pile up around them, and when it becomes clear that the killer has his sights set on coming back for Daisy, Gideon will do anything to save the woman who's coming to mean so much to him!
I tried getting into this story on several different occasions, but kept finding myself setting it aside to reach for something else. There wasn’t anything specific I didn’t like, it was just a general lack of interest.
Say You're Sorry is thrilling! This non-stop chiller will keep you turning the pages.  Daisy Dawson has to fight for her life as she battles her attacker. She soon realizes she has come away with a necklace from around the killer's neck. Gideon Reynold, an FBI agent is interested in Daisy's attack. There is a serial killer on the loose and Daisy may be the only one that can help the FBI find the madman.  Gideon and Daisy make a great team.  They have jaded pasts that add dimension to their characters.  Say You're Sorry has its dark moments.  You view much from the eyes of the antagonist and at times it can be overbearing. Eventually, it leads to a comprehensive view of the world of a killer. I look forward to reading more in the Sacramento series by Rose.
My first book by Karen Rose and while Romantic isn't my go-to genre, I actually quite liked this one. There was enough suspense to keep me reading
This author is one of the must reads in suspense and I was not disappointed by this one. Loved every page and it kept me going into the night.
Whoa thus thriller is fast paced, nitty gritty and not for the faint of heart! The writing and story are very dark and may not be everyones cup of tea but I enjoyed enjoyed it... whilst drinking tea I might add! If you are looking for a read that will keep you on the edge of your sit this in the one.
I had a difficult time getting into this book. This is definitely a dark thriller but I wasn't able to engage in the story no matter how many times I tried to pick it back up. There's nothing wrong with the writing. I may need to try picking it up again at a later date.
I received this as an arc from netgalley for an honest review.  This was one of my most anticipated books of 2018 and im so happy to say it was also one of my favorites. The characters were written beautifully and I felt captivated by story from page one. I ended up giving it 5/5 stars and plan to reread it soon. I highly recommend.
Very enjoyable book.  Reminds me of Lisa Gardner books. Suspenseful throughout with some unique parts that make the book different from all the other serial killer style books out there.  A Good quick read that is worth the time.
A good mystery romance with a lot of coverage of all the characters.  The middle of the story slowed for me and I found myself skimming the pages.  Would love to see another novel resolving Gideon’s story but not one that’s over 300 pages.
Another thrilling adventure by Karen Rose. The suspense is heart pounding. Writen in multiple POV's, Say Your Sorry will keep you on the edge of your seat. Gideon and Daisy have hot chemistry. Their chemistry will suck you into their story and have you rooting for them until the end.
This book can be read as a standalone, but you'll get more of Daisy's background reading previous books in this series.
I can't wait to see what psychopath Karen writes next.
This book was okay for me...nothing very exciting.  Has a romantic suspense element.  I will try another book by the author.
I so wanted to read this book as I lived in the Sacramento area.  I want a book that makes me want to read it not a book that I have to make myself read.  This book was the later category.  The story starts out very interesting about a serial killer, but I don't need to know every detail of every character - especially the love affairs.  This book moved so slowly that it was hard to keep interest in it; other than I knew the places that were discussed.
Well, I made it!  I didn’t realize upon opening this novel how long it really was, over 600 pages! Did it feel like 600 pages? Unfortunately for me, it did. The novel started out strong and ended very strong but the middle dragged for me.  That being said, I will read another Karen Rose novel, I will just stick with a shorter one.

What I really liked about this novel was that Karen wasn’t afraid to let her audience in on some disturbing scenes.  Being a thriller, Karen’s killer is cruel and hard, and Karen doesn’t gloss these scenes over, she puts the reader right in on the action.  I also enjoyed the storyline.  I was captivated from the beginning and then the story just rolled along.

Besides the novel dragging some in the middle, there were a few other issues I had with the novel.  The genre of romantic-suspense is new to me but I had to actually wonder if what went down between Daisy and Special Agent Gideon could actually happen?  Daisy’s a victim and Gideon is an FBI agent and watching their relationship unfold during the investigation felt questionable, to me. Do they not realize they are in the middle of an investigation? Do they not realize what type of investigation it is? I felt that their link also changed her status and how she was seen by others. Also, what about Daisy’s “service dog?” I felt sorry for the dog and I think it was actually an emotional support dog for her.

This is a good, long story with a few slow parts.  For me, the second half of the novel, whizzed by as I began to understand the killer and the motivation behind his madness.  I would like to read more in this series to see what comes next for these characters.

I want to thank NetGalley and Berkley Publishing Group for providing me a copy of this novel in exchange for an honest review.
I’m ashamed to admit that this one is another that has been on my NetGalley shelf for a while, but I finally decided to knock it out. And it takes a long time to read this one. For those of you not familiar with my reading habits and style, I typically start and finish a book within 1 1/2-2 1/2 hours at most.  I started and stopped this one about 5 or 6 times to where my Kindle said I was at about 26%. When I picked up at that 26% mark and finally decided to commit to it, it took about 4 1/2 hours to finish.

Besides this one being so lengthy, it also felt weighed down with a lot of unnecessary “stuff.” But much of that “stuff” left me with questions. Like Brutus, for example… What an odd therapy dog relationship… I don’t even remember how or why she got Brutus but I think he could have better-served another person really in need of and wanting to utilize a therapy dog.

Moving on, I found this plot unique and it was refreshing to find something different than everything else that is out there. A shortened and perhaps more suspenseful version would have been nice, but the parts about the killer were at times, fascinating. They were also disturbing at times, but not so much that I wouldn’t push through it.

I’ve read a great deal of character-driven novels lately, and even discussed these novels in reviews, with fellow bloggers, and with other authors. I’ve come to the realization that it’s just not my thing, for lack of a better phrase. I love in-depth characterization and I love the opportunity to connect with and grow attached to characters. But when their dialogue overtakes the entire novel (whether internal or external), becoming more prominent than action and events, I find myself bored to death. My point? I didn’t love this one, but it doesn’t mean that you won’t. If you like knowing every word every character thinks or says throughout a novel, then you may love this. I liked Daisy’s character and almost had a crush on Gideon, but at the end of the day, I didn’t find them memorable.

Say You’re Sorry was my first time reading Karen Rose. Although I didn’t love it, I will most likely read another one of her novels in the future.

*Thanks to NetGalley and Berkley for providing this copy in exchange for my honest review.
This was the first novel I've picked up from Karen Rose and it was very entertaining. The twisted storyline kept me on my toes, and I always enjoy a good badass female lead character. Daisy was really fun and I loved following her through the ups and downs of the novel. I also loved the mix of romance in the novel as well.

The writing was a little cheesy for me at times, but I was able to get over that because there was so much action and adventure going on. All in all, it was a really entertaining read. I think I would have given it 4 stars instead of 3 if it was just a little shorter and had less of the cheesy interactions between characters. It was a fun read and I would recommend it to readers who love suspense novels with a touch of romance.

Rating 3/5
A serial killer messes with the wrong woman which may be the undoing of his carefully orchestrated killing spree, unless he can to her before the authorities get to him. This was a cross between a thriller and romance novel -- with the standard plot and stereotypical villains and heroes you would expect in either one.
Daisy Dawson is living on her own and finally feels like she has her life in line.  One night her life took quite the turn when she was attacked in an alley, survived but ended up with a piece of jewelry that will bring Special Agent Gideon Reynolds to his knees and to places in his past.

There were two mysteries going on at the same time.  The mystery of the jewelry and a horrible religious cult of the past.  Gideon must confront a lot of things with this storyline and this one I enjoyed the most.

SPOILER - I can't believe they didn't solve this one, I was so frustrated that it wasn't contained in this book.  I was really irked!

The other mystery has to do with Daisy's attack and figuring out who did it, how and why.  I also liked this one, but just a hair less than the other.  This mystery is solved and it was interesting to hear chapters throughout the book from the culprit's point of view - creepy and great.

Be warned if you read a lot of mystery, this book has a great mystery, BUT it has all the trappings of a romance story.  There is some sexy times and some chapters that can make you feel awkward reading in public!  I tend to like to keep these genres separate, so I don't usually enjoy sexy times in my mystery thrillers.  I thought this book could be completely complete without the sexy times, they just didn't work for me.

I am not sure I would read this author often because of the romance and mystery combo, but may read it every so often.
Serviceable, and ultimately unsatisfying, thriller featuring a serial killer who resurfaces after a seeming 17-year quiescence.