The Reckonings

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 09 Oct 2018

Lacy Johnson is a thoughtful, intelligent writer. She takes on subjects that she feels are important to address; however this essay collection fell a little short for me.
It becomes difficult to review the thoughts and personal experiences  of another. There was a certain disjointed quality to this collection that I'd hoped more organized thoughts Would remedy.  Maybe it was overly ambitious in scope. It failed to resonate with me as other essay collections of the same subject matters have.
I am intrigued by her first book, a personal narrative of her abusive relationship that culminated in her kidnapping and imprisonment. Johnson's language is often lyrical and poetic and somewhat stream of consciousness which may lend to her personal story of violence.
Many thanks to Netgalley and Scribner for allowing me to review this book in exchange for my unbias opinion.
This collection is stunning. Johnson hits so many topics at the forefront of social conscience in this moment, proposing few complicated solutions, but focusing on the simple (real) stuff of life - love, justice, self care, and raising up your community. Thank you NetGalley for this beauty of an ARC.
This broad collection of essays ranged from conversations on race to the environment. It was attention-grabbing and read smoothly. I very much enjoyed this book, and am looking forward to reading her previous publication.
I expected, and would have read, a book of essays on just her thoughts on sexual violence. Luckily, that is not all that Lacy Johnson gives us here.

Here, Lacy Johnson runs us through a number of Reckonings we have coming. Not just the reckoning from both victims of sexual assault and the perpetrators and their supporters (the latter of which gave us Donald Trump). She also touches on the reckoning of our turning a blind eye to corporate greed. She covers the reckoning we have as poor and middle-class whites who have allowed ourselves to align with other whites who keep us back financially over people of color who live with us in the social struggles. And she covers the reckoning we have accepted in going with short-term convenience over long-term livability in our treatment of the environment.

The question is how we allow that Reckoning to affect us as we start to feel its effects. Vote in all of your elections, give love to everyone - but more importantly don't be afraid to rebuke them when they're wrong, and know you're own impact.
I began reading The Reckonings the weekend Brett Kavanaugh was confirmed to the Supreme Court—this book could not have arrived in my hands at a more appropriate moment. In The Reckonings, Lacy M. Johnson confronts justice and mercy, the silencing of survivors of sexual assault, whiteness’s refusal to examine white privilege, the function of art in a fucked up world. Johnson has an exceptional skill for intricately woven essays, pulling pieces of history, art, myth, and personal narrative together. This is a stunning, timely collection.

Thank you to NetGalley and Scribner for providing me with a digital galley for review.
This was a very thought provoking read. All these essays from these women are heart wrenching, and you can really feel the impact of these essays.

I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own
This is a collection of essays from a woman who was kidnapped and raped. These essays cover everything from mercy, not being believed about sexual assault,  and the divine feminine. It also deals with the effect seeing violence has on people. These essays are well written and give you something to think about.

I would like to thank Netgalley and the publisher for providing me with a review copy in exchange for my honest and unbiased opinion of it.