Night and Silence

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 25 Sep 2018

This book explores the aftermath of the drama that happened in the Brightest Fell. And October and her gang are a mess. So Toby needs a distraction, which is Gillian is kidnapped again and only Toby can find her estranged daughter. At first, I was so annoyed with this plot because Gillian is a brat and her Father and stepmother are even worst always accusing Toby of wrongdoing. But this book was so good. We learn more secrets about Toby’s heritage and it’s Mind-blowing. I didn’t see that coming. I’m so loving how all the characters in this series have grown and can’t see how the events from this will be explored in the next book. Hopefully this year will go fast.
Toby should be thinking about getting married to Tybalt with him and Jazz back home and her quest to bring her older pureblood sister back to her mother, but instead, her life is tearing apart. Tybalt avoids her due to PSTD from being trapped in cat form. Jazz can’t sleep, and Toby’s ex and his human wife have appeared at her doorstep, demanding to know if she’d kidnapped her daughter, Gillian. Which she hasn’t. Agreeing to find her. Toby begins the search at the campus of Gillian’s college, where she was last seen. The clues stink of Faerie involvement and there are secrets too, one even connected to her in a way she never saw coming.

Once again, Seanan McGuire gives another great adventure for October Daye and for the reader
This book draws upon earlier events in the series. Characters deal with the consequences of old and new traumas. Yet the happyish endings are earned without trying to tie everything up in a bow.
Seanan McGuire's latest installment in the October Daye series is a game changer. Since it's the twelfth book in the series, I was slightly nervous about whether or not the story would continue to feel as fresh and enchanting as previous installments. There was absolutely no cause for me to worry. While the plot line may sound similar to one of the past books, Night and Silence delved into entirely new territory and revealed a few more hints about McGuire's ultimate end game with the series.

I'll try to keep this review as spoiler-free as possible, however there will necessarily be some spoilers for previous books in the series.

First of all, I really appreciated the "this is what happened in previous books" section at the beginning of the book. Even though I've read all of the books in the last two years, it's still hard to keep everything straight in my head. The reminder really helped me get back up to speed.

The contrast with Gillian's first kidnapping made me truly realize how much Toby has grown and developed as a character. Toby's dealings with her human family as a whole also reflected this, particularly toward the end of the book. Additionally, I thought that McGuire did an incredible job in her portrayal of Tybalt's PTSD. It was wonderful to see how that was developed throughout the book, particularly because there aren't a lot of male characters in literature with mental health problems who ultimately deal with them in a healthy way. McGuire's characters have always been vibrant and realistic but Night and Silence takes them to an entirely new level.

As usual, the plot kept me glued to the pages. Just be prepared to carve out a chunk of time to read this book because you won't want to put it down, particularly once the reveals start happening. There were moments that made me gasp, moments that made me cry, and moments that made me laugh out loud. McGuire also does an excellent job of revealing some things that indicate where the current/next story arc is going to go. And I am so excited to see what's going to happen next. Night and Silence was a wonderful addition to one of my favorite series.

Also, the short story included in this one was actually one of my favorites. It was so interesting to see things from Gillian's point of view. Plus it provided a few answers to long-standing questions. But absolutely do not read it before you read the book because it contains some major plot spoilers!

*Disclaimer: I received this book for free from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.
Every time I'm convinced this series can't get any better Seanan McGuire writes a book like Night and Silence and proves me wrong! I have to admit I was nervous after reading the blurb and saw that not only are Toby and Tybalt having problems but also that Gillian is abducted again, I was a little bit worried this would feel like a rinse and repeat of stories we've had in this world before but I'm such a huge fan of this author and she's never steered me wrong before so I really should have more faith in her by now.

Seeing how distant Tybalt is was pretty heartbreaking but after everything Amandine put him through his withdrawal was understandable. That doesn't make it any easier to read but there was no way he'd carry on as normal after everything he's experienced. The man always knows how to make an entrance though and there has never been a time when he has let Toby down when she really needs him so you don't need to worry that he'll be absent for the entire book.

Things with Gillian are far more complicated. When Toby offered Gillian the Changeling's choice and reluctantly turned her human it broke her heart but she honestly believed it was what Gillian wanted and needed and she's kept her distance since then trying to respect Gillian's wishes. Toby mistakenly thought that leaving her alone would keep her safe but now she's missing Toby has no idea if the fae are involved. It's always been painful to see how much Toby has suffered because of her abduction, I've hated the way Cliff treats her for a long time now and I would really love to see her build some bridges with her daughter.

The story was everything I'd hoped for and gave all the characters I love most a chance to shine, May has a bigger role than usual, the Luideag steals the show as always, Quentin never fails to make me smile and of course I still love Tybalt no matter how damaged he is right now. There is plenty of action as Toby tries to track down Gillian and encounters some interesting new fae along the way and a totally game changing revelation has given me a new character to loathe but I can't say more about that because SPOILER so you'll just have to read the book to find out more (I guarantee you'll know exactly who I'm talking about once you have!).

Events in this book are going to have a huge impact as the series continues so I'm really looking forward to seeing how Toby copes with the latest developments in When Sorrows Come! This series is definitely one of my favourites and it's still going strong 12 books in.
I never felt completely ok with the resolution of Toby’s relationship with her daughter. A few books back, Gillian made the Changeling’s Choice and she opted to become fully human. Toby honored those wishes and stepped out of her child’s life. But now, Gillie has been kidnapped again, and human or not, she will never be someone who Toby could turn her back on. So our heroine must put past hurts aside to help her ex-fiance and his current wife find the girl they’d raised as their own.

Right away, we know this kidnapping has a connection to the Fae. There are hex bags in Gillie’s room and someone is leaving clues that count on Toby’s special skills to track her through false trails and traps. The story follows her efforts to figure out who snatched her daughter and bring the girl home, all while mending the relationship with Tybalt so badly damaged by his kidnapping in the last book.

It was a pretty good story, though the “rescue Gillian” plot felt a little familiar. So did Toby’s succession of near-death experiences. The poor woman is constantly savaged from the beginning of the book to the end and I’ve grown kind of accustomed to her nearly bleeding out in every installment. All that being said, I still enjoyed the ride, because the writing is great, the world building is immersive, and these characters are ones I have grown to care about over the course of the series. I wanted Toby to get another chance with her daughter; I never tire of the Luidaig; and Tybalt is an awesome hero, one who never fails to put Toby first (something that she’s never had from anyone in her life.)

The book does manage to squeeze out a few surprises, like the hidden secrets revealed about Gillian’s stepmother… or the resolution to the Gilly storyline. But I’m not sure where we’re heading for any kind of climax in a series arc. This felt like a very insular chapter, rather than part of a bigger picture, even if some old snakes do come back to bite the good guys. I know there is another book ahead; I’m curious if it will be the last.

Overall, I think fans of the series will enjoy this, and the end will have some repercussions. It just doesn’t feel as big as some of the books that came before.

(PS – There is also a bonus novella included: “Suffer a Sea Change.” It gives us a peek behind the curtain from Gillian’s POV. I have to admit, I’m not a fan of hers. The way she has behaved toward Toby has been… less than stellar. But the novella made me hate her a little less.)

Rating: B/B+
Going back to the world of our dear Toby is always a pleasure. I have come to love this series. How can I not when Tybalt makes me want to swoon when he says things from his heart. Le Sigh....

After the events which occurred in The Brightest Fell, Toby is trying to avoid discussing what is troubling her, her relationship with Tybalt. She loves the King of Cats and she's not sure how they're going to move forward after what Amandine did to him. Her friends are worried about her and Tybalt but she rather not think about it.

Then, her ex-human boyfriend, Cliff comes knocking on her door. He's looking for their daughter, Gillian. She has gone missing (again!). Toby can't believe someone has taken her. She loved Gillian so much that when Gillian chose to be human and stay with Cliff, Toby walked away believing she would be safe in the human world. But, too many people remember that Toby had Gillian and she's sure a fae is involved in her disappearance.

With the help of her squire and her fetch Mae, she will go looking for Gillian. The search takes her to places where as you can guess, Toby has to fight for her life and she will end up being covered in her own blood. Nothing new there, right? That's mostly why she wears black anyway. There are many close calls and at the same time, I could feel that time was running out for her.

There's a huge plot changer. The reveal is a WOW moment where I wasn't sure if I read it right and I had to go back and reread it. Holy amazing Batman! I just couldn't wrap my head around it. Yet, it makes perfect sense. Not vague enough for you? I guess you're just going to need to read it.

The ending is perfect is an imperfect way. It leaves you with so many open questions and without a way to know the answers.

For all Tybalt fans, the man does make a good entrance. Perfect timing too. It broke my heart to see how hard everything is for him right now. I truly hate Amandine for what she did to him. Despite everything, every heartfelt spoken word by him is beautiful in its deliverance.

I really can't wait to see what happens next. I truly hope to see more of Gillian in the next book.

As always the Luidaeg is amazing in a terrifying way. One of my favorite characters in this series.

I can't finish my review without saying how amazing Seanan McGuire's writing is. It's almost poetic. Her characters are brought to life full of light and darkness.

Cliffhanger: No

5/5 Fangs

A complimentary copy was provided by DAW Books via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
Toby Daye's life is unsettled as usual, but more so after the events of The Brightest Fell. Toby's lover and fiance, Tybalt, King of Cats, and roommate, Jazz, were kidnapped and tortured by Toby's mother, Amandine the Liar. Jazz sleeps most of the time, and Tybalt has almost completely withdrawn from her life. Her problems explode when her mortal daughter, Gillian, is kidnapped by someone in Fairie-again. Toby must find who, and why to save Gillian, this time without the support of some of her most important allies. Along the way, there are significant surprises for Toby, old enemies,  and new beginnings.

I am continually surprised by the imagination and solid grounding in Celtic Mythology that Seanan McGuire employs in the October Daye Series, only one of the series she writes. She weaves Shakespeare references and mythology seamlessly into a fascinating whole. Toby's world is fantastic but believably built. Night and Silence is one of the better books in the series, and I am eagerly waiting for the next in the series. It is critical to begin at the beginning with October Daye and understand the changes she has gone through.

Thanks to DAW and NetGalley for an advance digital copy. The opinions are my own.
I love Seanan McGuire and even more this series, so you can imagine that I threw myself on this new volume! Oh yes, and I loved the story once again!

Oh Toby, my poor Toby … You do everything for everyone, you’re there for them, you go on perilous quests to help others and what do you get back as a reward? A lot of problems. It’s not fair, that’s for sure and my heart broke when I saw all that you went through … Tybalt who abandons you, not because he does not want you anymore, but because he can not heal and finally he does not want to let you help him overcoming that. I think it’s the hardest thing. I know that he counts a lot for you and that it’s difficult even if you do not want to let it show. And then, things get worse when Cliff, your ex-husband and his new wife come to accuse you of kidnapping your daughter. Your own daughter! And then your life is once again upset down. Your daughter is in danger and you will do everything to find and protect her.

I was touched by this story. Toby will finally face her old family and will discover frustrating, annoying and yet so surprising secrets. I was sad, angry and happy with her. Old enemies will reappear, some that we did not think to see again! Many things in perspective!

I also loved having this little novella at the end of the story from Gillian’s point of view and I can not wait to see how the events are going to turn now!
Night and Silence, the 12th installment in the October Daye series by Seanan McGuire, is full of bombshells and might be the most explosive entry in the series to date. I don’t know what I expected from Night and Silence, but this wasn’t it. Hold onto your leather jacket folks!

Night and Silence is a book about family. Biological family, chosen family and the ties that bind us together and the lies that hold us apart. Toby’s family is fractured and she’s doing her best to hold the pieces together, but in typical Toby fashion, the edges are sharp and there’s blood everywhere.

The seeds Seanan planted way back in book one are starting to come to fruition. Questions that grew in the first few books have borne fruit and we’re finally getting answers to some of the biggest questions in the series. But as each answer is plucked from the vine, another blooms in its place.

Oh is it satisfying to finally get some answers, some resolution and to see the shape of things to come.

It’s clear that Seanan planned major plot points out carefully and early on. I can see that she has A Vision and knows where she’s going with the story. What I’m not sure about is some of her decisions on how to get from Major Point A to Major Point B. Some of the plot decisions she’s made in Night and Silence feel recycled. She did some of this in The Brightest Fell as well, and for the plot to feel recycled two books in a row was a disappointment.

As a standalone book, Night and Silence is excellent. As an entry in the October Daye series, it is one of the most important books to the plot, but is a weaker entry than I’d have liked because of the plot recycling.

Night and Silence is on shelves now wherever books are sold.

Thank you to DAW for providing me with an eARC in exchange for my honest review.
Y'all, it's release date, which means I am cutting it just past the wire as I finish this one. I was stoked to be approved for an ARC of Night and Silence, this twelfth book in the series, because I love it and I love Toby Daye as a character and because I love Seanan McGuire (who lives in Seattle!)

BUT the only downside is that I had to re-read all of the other books, and there are 11 of them (not including novellas or other stories) so it took a minute.

All that to say, I finally finished this one today. And whew was it worth all of the lead up and the wait. So many secrets revealed, so many new adventures primed.

First, a quick recap of where we've come from. October "Toby" Daye is a changeling—that is, the child of a fae parent and a human parent. A long time ago, she made the changeling choice and opted for the fae side of her, only unfortunately her fae mom was not really interested in being a mother to her. Toby is also a private detective in the Bay Area. In her first adventure, Toby is unceremoniously turned into a fish while pursuing her liege's kidnapped wife and kid. Even more unfortunately, she stays a fish for 14 years. Bummmer. And then throughout the next books, she goes on many more, mostly life-threatening adventures, gathering friends and family and unveiling secrets along the way. McGuire infuses quite a lot of Shakespeare into this series: all of the titles of the books are taken from Shakespeare quotes, many of the characters have Shakespeare-inspired names, Toby herself is a big fan, and as fae are immortal, some of them were contemporaries of old Willy Shakes himself, so it all comes full circle.

I played a fun game while re-reading where I renamed all of the books as if they were Harry Potter books. Night and Silence I renamed "Toby Daye and the Old Home Week."

One thing that is great for new readers: while you can (and in my opinion, absolutely should) start from the beginning, McGuire does a fairly good job of recapping essential information as she goes through the new books in the series, so although you of course won't get the whole action of the previous books, you can get the gist and not be completely lost.

In Night and Silence, Toby's estranged, college-age human daughter Gillian has been kidnapped, Toby's pretty sure by somebody from faerie (so nothing she can explain to her ex and his new wife when they are curious about where the daughter might have gone), and Toby has to track her down. This isn't the first time that Gillian has been kidnapped because of Toby, but it is a bit more dangerous this time around, for a number of reasons. Toby's made quite a few enemies over the years, so the list of people who might want to punish or blackmail her by taking her daughter is pretty extensive.

I can't really get into too many more details without giving bits away, and the bits are too good to give away. Boy are them some doozy secrets revealed in this one. It feels like a whole new beginning for Toby and a refresh for the series (not that it needs it). I have to admit, when I saw the synopsis for the book, I thought to myself, "Again? She gets kidnapped again?" Especially since some of the characters that pop up as villains once again are folks that we thought were vanquished. Are we never going to be able to trust that someone is dealt with and/or dead, for real? But all of those thoughts went out the window as the story went on, with ever-increasing stakes and a satisfying resolution that left me wanting to read the thirteenth book in the series immediately. (Alas.)

One of my absolute favourite things about this series is the family that McGuire has built around Toby. I think many of us can relate to the idea of our biological families not always being what we need them to be, and of constructing a chosen family around ourselves to fill the gaps. That's truly what Toby has around her now, and they all grok her on such a deep level that it often brings tears to my eyes. The unspectacular way that McGuire has introduced such a diverse range of characters and experiences among the gang is aspirational. And I will always want to be a little bit like Toby: selfless and reliable to a fault, enormously gooey with a hard shell, and endlessly sarcastic. (I think I got that last one pretty well down, actually.)

I highly recommend this series if you are at all interested in faerie/fairy stories, or magic, or just generally awesome fantasy with spectacular and intricate worldbuilding. And if you like this series, Seanan McGuire has written other books under her name, as well as pseudonyms for other genres. They're all stellar.
"We stood there, wounded, frozen, exhausted, and waited for home to start feeling like home again. We waited for safety to come back. We were going to be waiting for a very long time." ~ The Brightest Fell

In Night and Silence we see a Toby who is still reeling from what her mother did to force Toby to find her sister August. Her relationship with Tybalt feels like it is hanging by a thread and Toby is in despair about how to fix things. Toby's friend Danny ineptly tries to encourage Toby to rectify a relationship she fears is irretrievably damaged by talking to Tybalt, who doesn't want to talk to her at all because he has such terrible PTSD. (Ironically, Toby's never been the sort of person to feel very hopeful. Also ironically, when you look a lot like your cruel mother, your mistreated loved one may have issues with you.) May, Toby's Fetch sister, is also trying to hold things together for Jazz, who has recovered a bit better than has Tybalt, but remains deeply shaken. Raj, Tybalt's nephew and heir, treads lightly and often furtively, to avoid too many questions from Toby. Quentin, Toby's squire, ponders whether there is anything he can do other than just be there for all of them.

It is into this messy well of sadness that a new crisis falls- Toby's now-human daughter Gillian is, once again, kidnapped. This time it clearly isn't Sylvester's mentally unhinged daughter Rayseline, since Raysel was elf shot several books back and is still deep in her now full Daoine Sidhe one hundred years' slumber. And Toby is pretty sure that it isn't even a once-again ensorcelled Simon, lost somewhere in deeper Faerie after the events of The Brightest Fell, a failure of Toby's that has her on edge yet again with Sylvester, her uncle, and liege. (Sylvester has asked Toby to keep her distance because his wife Luna is so upset over Simon's being on the loose again.) So who is it and what do they want? Because the only reason to take Gilly is to get to Sir October Daye, Knight of Lost Words, Hero of the Realm. In the process of solving the kidnapping and rescuing Gillian, a question long held by readers of the series will be answered and lives will be forever changed.

It's obvious that the events of this novel have been long-planned by McGuire, over the arc of twelve novels. The payoff is huge. In some ways even bigger than in The Winter Long. I was caught off-guard by the events of the book, which were so very different from what I had expected. On the one hand, the revelations, the outcomes, were rather stunning. On the other hand, part of me was uneasy with Gillian being kidnapped again (she was first kidnapped back in One Salt Sea), and the fact that yet again, we have the revelation that someone wasn't who they seemed to be. Plus, another round of demands we've heard before. (How many times can you viably do this, dear author?) Yet there are major developments built upon this platform. Even the revelations come with their own revelations in this book.

Night and Silence left me with so many new questions. One of the most stunning outcomes was disquieting to me because of the looming settlement of Toby's debt with the Luidaeg, who called in the debt of the Selkies a year ago. What's going to happen? (Readers will see what I mean when they read the novella Suffer a Sea Change included at the end of the book and think about the Selkies and the Roane.) While things with Tybalt are better resolved by the novel's end, the means by which this is achieved still seemed precarious to me. Is that truly safe, given the way the Cait Sidhe work? One thing I was glad of is that Toby finally realizes the changelings of the Mists need more attention. And hey, the seneschal of Goldengreen could use a changeling hero's help with her present project. Finally, the other thing, that big reveal... Seriously, what is wrong with some of these fae and human people? The level of their racist hypocrisy is simply stunning. What does it all mean? Decide for yourself, Reader. This is one installment that will leave you thinking until The Unkindest Tide rolls in.

"The world had changed. The world wasn't changing back." ~ Night and Silence

I received an ARC from DAW via NetGalley and a paper ARC from the author.
As with any October Daye novel, there is plenty of adventure and investigating happening in NIGHT AND SILENCE. With her allies by her side, Toby kicks butt and continues to show me why I continue reading after so many novels.

The relationship between Toby and her daughter Gillian is heavily explored in NIGHT AND SILENCE. We learn A LOT about Gillian as well as her father and step mom. We dive deep into feelings all around and I was left so sad and hopeful for their future as mother and daughter at the end of the book.

I'm only going to talk briefly about romantic relationship stuff. I was so scared that the rift between October and Tybalt would ruin NIGHT AND SILENCE for me, but it didn't. It was really sad, but it added some nice emotion to the storyline at multiple points throughout the book.

I love everything about the October Daye series and can still see if continuing for years to come.

* This book was provided free of charge from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
After Toby found her half-sister August and freed Tybalt and Jazz after Amandine kidnapped and threatened their lives to ensure  Toby's cooperation, any kind of respite is not in the cards for our hero.

For one, things between Toby and Tybalt are strained, to put it mildly. Being forced to stay in his feline form while imprisioned has given him some emotional trauma and instead of talking to Toby, he's shut himself away.

Then, Toby's very human daughter Gillian is kidnapped. Toby will do anything to make sure her daughter is found safe and sound, even if it means confronting some long forgotten foes.

I feel like any long-running series is going to have a few bridge books in their midst, and at the end of the day, that's exactly how Night and Silence read to me.

Seanan McGuire even goes so far as to have a few of the characters comment on how many times Toby's daughter has been kidnapped (answer: previously in One Salt Sea). So, I feel like it's a concious decision to give readers some familiar territory so we're left with enough room to continue processing the ramifications of Amandine’s actions - at least where Tybalt and Toby's relationship is concerned.

I appreciated that this wasn't overlooked or drawn out / put off until the next book. As I said we'll be feeling the ramifications for books to come, as is standard in this series, but I feel like the ice has at least been broken.

Besides the relationship woes, Seanan McGuire continues to build and reinforce the bonds of family and what makes a family. You get to see the juxtaposition of the family life Toby had with her ex and daughter - how they seemingly replaced Toby after her disappearance and then cut all ties when she returned - to what she has built now - how Quentine and May are quick to jump into action to help find Gillian at a moment's notice, no questions asked.

Of course this wouldn't be an October Daye novel without some revelations coming to light, and Seanan McGuire does throw in some very interesting ones, but like the rest of the book, they're more things where the importance or significance will play out over the course of the next book(s).

Still, Night and Silence was a fast-paced, deftly written, enjoyable installment in an already excellent series.
Thank you to Netgalley and DAW for a copy of the eARC in exchange for a fair review.

Disclaimer: This is the 12th book in the series. I highly suggest starting with Rosemary and Rue and read all previous books. This will contain spoilers if you haven't read the rest of the series.

October is back, and she is still reeling from her lasting meeting with her mother. The meeting in which her mother forced Tybalt and Jazz into their animal forms and kept them that. Tybalt hasn't been the same and neither has Jazz. In fact October hasn't seen much of Tybalt lately, but she is for a bigger shock when her doorbell rings and her ex and his current wife are waiting at her front door.

They accuse of her of stealing Gillian, and then when they realize she doesn't have her they ask her to find Gillian. So October wakes up Quinton and May and they head out to find Gillian. But the road is long and filled with traps and old enemies. Will October be able to save her daughter this time? Or will all be lost?

Whew this was a ride, and to be honest I was surprised by so many things. Seanan masterfully weaves all kinds of pieces together, and leaves you feeling astonished. I had no idea these things were going to happen and the six degrees of separation. It is crazy, that being said I am so glad Tybalt was back and playing a larger role in this one. I really missed him when he was forced to be cat in the last book.

Not a fan of Cliff at all, or Miranda, but learning more about her was extremely interesting. The only downside to reading this and reviewing this is I really have to wait a whole year for the next book to come out. October has been one of my favorite characters from the moment I read Rosemary and Rue, and I love them all and I look forward to each new addition and I hope Seanan continues to write about her for many years to come.
Toby Daye cannot catch a break.

This story takes place a short time after the events in, "The Brightest Fell." Everyone involved in that last adventure remains emotionally damaged. And then, Toby finds out that her daughter, Gillian, has been kidnapped, again. Immediately, Toby has to get her emotions under control in order to find her before any harm can be done to her, again.

The search for Gilly turns into a game of cat-and-mouse. Toby pushes herself to her limits to protect herself, her family, her allies, and her (many and newfound) secrets. And, the story continues on in, "Suffer a Sea-Change," so fans don't have to wait for answers to certain questions. If anyone has ever read any or all of the books in the "October Daye" series, must read, "Night and Silence," because we learn more about Toby and Faerie through McGuire's worldbuiling and characters, both are well-developed and (too) realistic.

McGuire does an amazing job in reminding her readers that Faerie is NOT the same as Fairy! Sooner or later secrets are revealed, debts are paid, bargains end, and emotions are (somewhat) managed. Fans of the series will pick up on subtle clues of what will happen based on the foreshadowing from previous books. New readers will be able to jump into the action due to the author's clever storytelling method of her characters recalling past events from previous stories.

I found "Night and Silence" to be an enjoyable read containing everything one could want in an urban fantasy story.
Tybalt is suffering after being kidnapped in the last book and has distanced himself from Toby as a result, taking away a significant part of her support team at the same time she finds out her daughter, Gillian, is missing. Again. Per usual plot, Toby has to race against time to find her daughter. The villains in this one are recycled, but that isn’t the important part of the story anyway. The focus is on revealing more truths about the twisted tree that is Toby’s family and making progress to possibly heal the gaping wound that is her relationship with Gillian.

An excellent story, and the novella at the end was a much-needed direct continuation of the plot, but this was definitely a middle arc book, driving us one step closer to finishing out the current plot. For new readers, this is not the book to start with as there are too many references to past events and characters, even with the handy recap at the front of the novel. Start with any of the first three instead.

3.75 Stars (rounded up to 4) because as much as I love this series, Toby’s family is a hot mess and it’s getting out of hand. The confrontations with her ex and Gillian’s step-mom have been a long time coming, but having to deal with the constant, unjustified nastiness towards Toby all the time was just overwhelming. At least she has Tybalt, May, Quentin and the rest of her sidhe Scooby Gang as backup.
We only get one of these books about once a year, and I’m always worried about several things: I won’t remember what’s going on in the story, the book will be terrible, the series will go off the rails, or the author won’t do a good job. I am so happy to report none of these things happened. The one thing I am most worried about, that I won’t remember what’s going on, is definitely taken care of as the author did a great job in filling the reader in as we go along. As such, I was immersed in the story in no time at all, but I must confess that also probably has something to do with the author’s tremendous writing talent. This far in the series, I can’t really say much as I don’t want to spoil anything, but Toby and Tybalt are still very much dealing with the fallout from the previous book, Toby’s daughter is kidnapped but for very interesting reasons (which we don’t find out until the end), and at the end, things are forever changed. If you are a fan of this series, this is a wonderful, wonderful addition!! And, you must read the novella at the end because certain events are shown from another character’s point of view which is very important. If you haven’t read this series before, you must start from the beginning, and it is worth every page! One of my favorite series!! Highly recommend! I was provided the e-book which I voluntarily reviewed.
I’ve been following October Daye’s adventures from the very first book, and now twelve books in, I can only say that this series just keeps getting better. I will admit that when I read the blurb, I was a bit put-off – Gillian’s been kidnapped again? Toby’s (non-) relationship with her estranged daughter has been one of my least favorite parts of the series, so the prospect of a book rehashing that all again was not very appealing to me, and I went into this expecting to enjoy the individual bits and pieces (like Toby, May, Danny, and Quentin catching flying faerie pigs in an upscale SF neighborhood) even if I didn’t care for the overall plot. Well, my fears were unfounded, because instead I found another fascinating take on family – the families we make versus the ones we are born into – in a thematic continuation of the last book.

“You’re not alone anymore,” he said softly.

When the book starts, the repercussions from The Brightest Fell are still being felt – one large one being that Tybalt has PTSD from Amandine’s imprisonment, and even Toby’s resemblance to her mother is enough to trigger it, so he’s avoiding her and any attempt at help. Toby’s actually rather introspective at being on the wrong end of the “I can handle my problems MYSELF!” stick, so while she’s happy for some work to get her mind off of her relationship problems, the last thing she needs is her ex and his new wife showing up on her doorstep and accusing her of kidnapping Gillian from UC Berkeley, where she attends college. Toby, of course, rushes off to investigate, and as the clues pile up, it’s clear that the perpetrator is someone in Faerie. But where the kidnappers targeting Toby herself, or is there more at work than meets the eye?

“No matter how far we run, we never get away from family.”

I’ve had a lot of mixed feelings about Toby and Gillian’s relationship – when the book starts, she didn’t even know that Gillian was attending college, let alone which one – and while I’ve come to understand and sympathize with her reasons for walking away from a daughter she obviously loves so much, it’s never sat quite right with me. The interesting thing, though, is that Toby is a much different person now than she was when back in Rosemary and Rue, and she’s got a wealth of friends and found family to back her up (or be used as hostages, as she found in the last book). At one point, Toby describes her early self as a Nancy Drew knock-off, and it’s a fairly accurate description, and a reminder of another of my favorite parts of this series: Toby grows and changes, and you can never expect exactly what will happen. The broken Toby who came back to the human world after fifteen years as a koi is very different from the Toby who’s deposed two monarchs and defeated a Firstborn, or, more importantly, the Toby who, at the end of a long day, looks forward to returning home to her house to her Fetch and her girlfriend, her squire and his friends, and her fiancé. What we’re reminded of, most importantly, through the book and the novella that follows, is that there’s more than one side to every story, and sometimes people have REASONS.

“Um, this is Toby,” said Quentin. “We’re always about to die. When we’re not about to die, we’re still about to be about to die. She’s like a Rube Goldberg machine whose only job is generating life-threatening situations.”

Please note the all-caps on that “reasons,” because about halfway through the book, there’s a humongous plot twist that puts a lot of things into a new light, including Toby’s relationship with Gillian, which, needless to say, I felt a lot differently about at the end of the book. Beyond the unexpectedness, there’s the same tight mystery plot I’ve come to expect, and the same cast of characters I’ve grown to love, including Walther, Arden, Danny, and, of course, the Luidaeg. I am continuously wowed by how Ms. McGuire never seems to phone these books in, despite writing one a year for the past twelve years – there’s always a new fully-formed area of Faerie to explore or a new revelation to rip open Toby’s world. The worst part about reading these books? Knowing that I’ll have to wait until next September for another one!

“Well,” said May, after a long pause. “You’ve pissed off the Queen who’s actually in charge of us and convinced a Queen who isn’t that she should help us out. That’s … pretty true to form. You’re still you. I just checked.”

I received this book for free from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.
After the ending of The Brightest Fell I wasn't sure were McGuire was going to go with October Daye but I'm happy to say at Night and Silence met every expectation and more...and I loved it. There is just something about McGuire's writing that captivates and keeps me clinging to the pages. I say "something", but what I really mean is Seanan McGuire's ability to master that illusive character connection that makes you become a part a written word's world!

I received this ARC of Night Silence from Berkley Publishing Group - DAW. This is my honest and voluntary review. Night Silence is set for publication Sept. 4, 2018.

My Rating: 5 stars
ISBN-10: 0756414768
ISBN-13: 978-0756414764
Genre: Urban Fantasy | Paranormal Romance

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Night-Silence-...
Barnes & Noble: https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/nigh...
Itunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/nigh...