Night and Silence

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 25 Sep 2018

NIGHT AND SILENCE is a classic October Daye adventure, in that all such adventures have consequences. Despite coming late in the series, and showing still healing and struggling after prior attacks, this book felt fresh and interesting.

NIGHT AND SILENCE is particularly well set up to be a refresher for those who may have lost the threads of this series.  Even new readers might find this an easy entry point for the series, though they would not get as much emotional heft from the prior events (and would miss out on a lot of wonderful writing along the way).  Much of Toby’s current relationships and accomplishments are touched upon in this book, but not in a way that detracts from the main story line.

A satisfying read for fans, NIGHT AND SILENCE contains layers within layers.  According to the author, the October Daye series has been purchased by the publisher out through book 13, and though I'd love to live in this world of faerie forever, NIGHT AND SILENCE is a fantastic penultimate book.
Originally published at speculativechic.com
***

How do you review a book that you’ve been breathlessly anticipating for an entire year? It’s not entirely acceptable to just copy and paste multiple copies of Kermit the Frog flailing around everywhere, so one must attempt to gather one’s thoughts.

This was not easy.

Because, you see, this book takes a mystery that has haunted the halls of the October Daye series for a few books now, cracks it open, and then plays with the gooey insides. It also adds another mystery or two and leaves the reader breathlessly anticipating the next volume. It’s going to be a long year.

I am doing my damndest to avoid spoilers, so, much like the Luidaeg, there’s a lot that I can’t say. What I can say is this: never, ever assume anything about these books. Just when you think that you’re certain about something, McGuire gleefully turns that idea on its head. We’ve seen the impossible done within the pages of this series multiple times: doors that were supposed to stay sealed were ripped wide open, characters who were supposed to be dead have been resurrected, and events that shouldn’t have been possible went ahead and happened anyway.

Checking in on the characters…we continue to see growth from October. She has gone from the would-be lone detective of Rosemary and Rue to the head of an active, loving chosen family. The cover already tells you that this family is fraying at the edges, thanks to the events of the last book. Tybalt is, unsurprisingly, suffering from a pretty severe case of PTSD. The raw pain of his experience is heartbreakingly realistic and portrayed in all of its ugly glory. I am pleased to say that he was not 100% absent for this volume. I was also pleased to see a reunion between October and someone that she had been semi-estranged from (and I cried when it happened). My favorite side character (Dianda Lorden) makes a brief, but excellent appearance.

The mysteries continue to build, even as answers to some older questions begin to emerge. We learn a bit more about Amandine’s heritage. We discover more information about Toby’s ex, Cliff, and take a tiny peek at the way that he must have suffered and struggled after Toby disappeared years ago. Cliff doesn’t get a lot of page time in most of the previous books, which makes sense. He’s made it clear that he’s moved on, and Toby has moved on herself.  It’s easy to forget that Cliff’s still there, in the background, trying to live his own life. Poor, forgotten Cliff. The events of this novel are going to drag him, kicking and screaming, from out of the background, I expect.

All that I can say about the end is that it doesn’t tie things off in a neat, tidy bow. How can it, after what our heroes have gone through? This is not to say that ending is a bad one. It’s simply painful. There’s a bit of hope there, but I was left with a feeling of uncertainty and even some slight dread for what may be to come for Toby and her family.

Bonus! As with several previous volumes of the series, there’s novella waiting for you at the end of Night and Silence. “Suffer a Sea-Change,” while lovely, doesn’t do much to help with most of the cliffhangers of the book. It does, however, give the reader a taste of what’s going on in the rest of the world and show the further fate of a particular character who undergoes a transformation during the novel. It also features of a lot of the Luidaeg, who is my favorite primary character. We take a dive into some of the painful bits that she either can’t or won’t talk about much. She’s a very layered character that we don’t get to see take the center stage too often. What we learn in “Suffer a Sea-Change” gave the character some unexpected depth and makes me shiver at what’s coming for the Selkies (and if you’re caught up on the series, you know the origin of the Selkies and what makes their relationship with the Luidaeg so complicated).

In conclusion: If you’re caught up on this series, you must not miss this volume. Please read it and then come back and talk to me about it. I’m kind of dying over here. There are so many secrets that I’ve kept for several weeks now, and I’m eager to chat!
Another fun adventure from Seanan McGuire.  I have always loved the twists and turns and the characters in McGuire's book.  Read this today!
Short Summary: Toby is once again faced with the kidnapping of her mortal daughter, Gillian, terrified that she’s once again responsible for her daughter being in danger. During her investigation, she manages to uncover a few jaw-dropping mysteries that will no doubt play a role in Toby’s future.

Thoughts: I swear, just when I feel like I couldn’t love this series more, McGuire manages to sneak in a new facet to the story that opens up whole new avenues and makes the anticipation for the next installment even worse. I have no idea how far she plans to take this series but even with twelve installments under her belt, this series doesn’t seem to be heading towards an end anytime soon, and I’m certainly not complaining.

Verdict: I read the first two installments in 2017 and the remaining nine this year so I could finally be caught up in time for the new release of Night and Silence. I now have to wait for the next release of this ridiculously good series like a PEASANT. BAH.
So, like, magic isn't real.

Except maybe it is?

Because when an author keeps a story so fresh and compelling this far into a series, it *seems* like magic.

This series delivers EVERY TIME.

Seanan McGuire is a fantasy writing goddess and I worship at her feet.
Night and Silence is the twelfth book in the October Daye series by Seanan McGuire. You do need to read these books in order to understand the characters and world. I highly recommend the series, but you do need to start from the beginning.

In the aftermath of Amandine's latest betrayal, October "Toby" Daye's fragile self-made family is on the verge of coming apart at the seams. Jazz can't sleep, Sylvester doesn't want to see her, and worst of all, Tybalt has withdrawn from her entirely, retreating into the Court of Cats as he tries to recover from his abduction. Toby is floundering, unable to help the people she loves most heal. She needs a distraction. She needs a quest. What she doesn't need is the abduction of her estranged human daughter, Gillian. What she doesn't need is to be accused of kidnapping her own child by her ex-boyfriend and his new wife, who seems to be harboring secrets of her own. There's no question of whether she'll take the case. The only question is whether she's emotionally prepared to survive it. Signs of Faerie's involvement are everywhere, and it's going to take all Toby's nerve and all her allies to get her through this web of old secrets, older hatreds, and new deceits. If she can't find Gillian before time runs out, her own child will pay the price. One question remains: Who in Faerie remembered Gillian existed? And what do they stand to gain? No matter how this ends, Toby's life will never be the same.

Night and Silence is a book that made me wonder how we got to book 12. So often by this point in a series characters and the problems they face start getting old or predictable. Somehow McGuire keeps avoiding all of those pitfalls. Toby is facing her own crisis, dealing with the fact that she can not fix the damage her mother has cause to Tybalt and Jazz. Those are battles that she can not fight for them, and talking and facing emotions head on (not her strong suit) is all that she can do to help. The latest crisis falls in Toby's lap she discovers more secrets and complications that lead her on another crazy quest, dealing with dangers and conspiracies, to save her daughter again. I loved that October had to face her emotions and deal with facing big surprises. I loved seeing the characters from previous books make their appearances, some of which were key to the story and seeing everything come together to make things work they way she needs it to. Sometimes I worry that the story will end, and the series will stop- others I worry that not everything can come together in time- but McGuire makes it all work. I really loved the short story at the end of the story, giving readers a look at Gillian's point of view.

Night and Silence is another nail biting adventure for October, with plenty of character and emotional crisis along side the physical. Fans will need to pick it up, and will likely devour it as quickly as I did.
The October Daye series has really grown on me and gotten better book by book. The characters are well thought out and complex, the plot lines all different and the dialogue is funny and smart. If you would have asked me at Rosemary and Rue (book 1), I wouldn’t have known if I’d make it to the third book in the series, let alone the twelfth book. October Daye became one of my favorite UF series to date.
“As Sir Daye’s squire, I must apologize, again, for her having the manners of a kelpie.”
“Don’t be silly, Quentin,” said Danny. “Kelpies are politer.”
“Kelpies are aquatic murder horses that want to rip you apart and eat everything but your liver,” I protested.
Danny smirked. “As I was sayin’.”

One reason is October. She isn’t perfect and she needs the help of her friends all the time but she is a character who has grown so much from the first book of the series. In Night and Silence, we get to revisit October’s past as her child has gone missing again. You’d think that would make this plot similar to the other book where Gillian was kidnapped but you would be oh so wrong. This is different in so many ways as Toby goes in search of the daughter that decided to be all human and leave Toby’s world behind.

I loved the banter and snark this series brings. Toby is irreverent as always in the presence of both danger or anyone with a Royal pedigree. She is who she is and she is the same to everyone no matter where your nobility lies. But cross Toby and you will have to remember she has some very powerful allies in the King of Cats, the Sea Witch, a death spirit and a future king of the realm. But you should be most wary of the Sea Witch, she is scary even if you are her friend.
Arguing with the Luidaeg is like arguing with a mountain: in the end, all you wind up with is a sore throat and an implacable landmark. Only in the case of the Luidaeg, she might wind up turning you into a toad for your impertinence.

This delves even more into the fae lore and we finally get some answers into who Amadine’s mother is. I really love how SM spins this tale using folklore of the fae and twisting it into this story. Toby’s grandma was a surprise and a trip I never saw coming.
"You lost a great deal of blood.”
“I didn’t lose it,” I said. “I know exactly where it is.”

Tybalt is one of my favorite leading men in fiction. Probably because even in a modern day setting of this story he sounds like a hero out of a historical romance. I love it and eat it up. Tybalt has been hurt deeply by the events of the prior book and has something akin to PTSD. I missed him for part of this book but loved how he showed up for Toby when she really needed him even though he is broken. The other plus is that he didn’t have to be perfect for October to love him, she realizes he needs to heal and I adored how their relationship is and the tender moments the two of them share.

Overall: Some interesting movement on the greater plot arc of the series, October possibly getting a second chance at being a mother to Gillian and the relationship with Tybalt made this book for me. Still the bill to the Sea Witch is pretty high and I’d hate to be Toby when she decides to collect.
This book explores the aftermath of the drama that happened in the Brightest Fell. And October and her gang are a mess. So Toby needs a distraction, which is Gillian is kidnapped again and only Toby can find her estranged daughter. At first, I was so annoyed with this plot because Gillian is a brat and her Father and stepmother are even worst always accusing Toby of wrongdoing. But this book was so good. We learn more secrets about Toby’s heritage and it’s Mind-blowing. I didn’t see that coming. I’m so loving how all the characters in this series have grown and can’t see how the events from this will be explored in the next book. Hopefully this year will go fast.
Toby should be thinking about getting married to Tybalt with him and Jazz back home and her quest to bring her older pureblood sister back to her mother, but instead, her life is tearing apart. Tybalt avoids her due to PSTD from being trapped in cat form. Jazz can’t sleep, and Toby’s ex and his human wife have appeared at her doorstep, demanding to know if she’d kidnapped her daughter, Gillian. Which she hasn’t. Agreeing to find her. Toby begins the search at the campus of Gillian’s college, where she was last seen. The clues stink of Faerie involvement and there are secrets too, one even connected to her in a way she never saw coming.

Once again, Seanan McGuire gives another great adventure for October Daye and for the reader
This book draws upon earlier events in the series. Characters deal with the consequences of old and new traumas. Yet the happyish endings are earned without trying to tie everything up in a bow.
Seanan McGuire's latest installment in the October Daye series is a game changer. Since it's the twelfth book in the series, I was slightly nervous about whether or not the story would continue to feel as fresh and enchanting as previous installments. There was absolutely no cause for me to worry. While the plot line may sound similar to one of the past books, Night and Silence delved into entirely new territory and revealed a few more hints about McGuire's ultimate end game with the series.

I'll try to keep this review as spoiler-free as possible, however there will necessarily be some spoilers for previous books in the series.

First of all, I really appreciated the "this is what happened in previous books" section at the beginning of the book. Even though I've read all of the books in the last two years, it's still hard to keep everything straight in my head. The reminder really helped me get back up to speed.

The contrast with Gillian's first kidnapping made me truly realize how much Toby has grown and developed as a character. Toby's dealings with her human family as a whole also reflected this, particularly toward the end of the book. Additionally, I thought that McGuire did an incredible job in her portrayal of Tybalt's PTSD. It was wonderful to see how that was developed throughout the book, particularly because there aren't a lot of male characters in literature with mental health problems who ultimately deal with them in a healthy way. McGuire's characters have always been vibrant and realistic but Night and Silence takes them to an entirely new level.

As usual, the plot kept me glued to the pages. Just be prepared to carve out a chunk of time to read this book because you won't want to put it down, particularly once the reveals start happening. There were moments that made me gasp, moments that made me cry, and moments that made me laugh out loud. McGuire also does an excellent job of revealing some things that indicate where the current/next story arc is going to go. And I am so excited to see what's going to happen next. Night and Silence was a wonderful addition to one of my favorite series.

Also, the short story included in this one was actually one of my favorites. It was so interesting to see things from Gillian's point of view. Plus it provided a few answers to long-standing questions. But absolutely do not read it before you read the book because it contains some major plot spoilers!

*Disclaimer: I received this book for free from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.
Every time I'm convinced this series can't get any better Seanan McGuire writes a book like Night and Silence and proves me wrong! I have to admit I was nervous after reading the blurb and saw that not only are Toby and Tybalt having problems but also that Gillian is abducted again, I was a little bit worried this would feel like a rinse and repeat of stories we've had in this world before but I'm such a huge fan of this author and she's never steered me wrong before so I really should have more faith in her by now.

Seeing how distant Tybalt is was pretty heartbreaking but after everything Amandine put him through his withdrawal was understandable. That doesn't make it any easier to read but there was no way he'd carry on as normal after everything he's experienced. The man always knows how to make an entrance though and there has never been a time when he has let Toby down when she really needs him so you don't need to worry that he'll be absent for the entire book.

Things with Gillian are far more complicated. When Toby offered Gillian the Changeling's choice and reluctantly turned her human it broke her heart but she honestly believed it was what Gillian wanted and needed and she's kept her distance since then trying to respect Gillian's wishes. Toby mistakenly thought that leaving her alone would keep her safe but now she's missing Toby has no idea if the fae are involved. It's always been painful to see how much Toby has suffered because of her abduction, I've hated the way Cliff treats her for a long time now and I would really love to see her build some bridges with her daughter.

The story was everything I'd hoped for and gave all the characters I love most a chance to shine, May has a bigger role than usual, the Luideag steals the show as always, Quentin never fails to make me smile and of course I still love Tybalt no matter how damaged he is right now. There is plenty of action as Toby tries to track down Gillian and encounters some interesting new fae along the way and a totally game changing revelation has given me a new character to loathe but I can't say more about that because SPOILER so you'll just have to read the book to find out more (I guarantee you'll know exactly who I'm talking about once you have!).

Events in this book are going to have a huge impact as the series continues so I'm really looking forward to seeing how Toby copes with the latest developments in When Sorrows Come! This series is definitely one of my favourites and it's still going strong 12 books in.
I never felt completely ok with the resolution of Toby’s relationship with her daughter. A few books back, Gillian made the Changeling’s Choice and she opted to become fully human. Toby honored those wishes and stepped out of her child’s life. But now, Gillie has been kidnapped again, and human or not, she will never be someone who Toby could turn her back on. So our heroine must put past hurts aside to help her ex-fiance and his current wife find the girl they’d raised as their own.

Right away, we know this kidnapping has a connection to the Fae. There are hex bags in Gillie’s room and someone is leaving clues that count on Toby’s special skills to track her through false trails and traps. The story follows her efforts to figure out who snatched her daughter and bring the girl home, all while mending the relationship with Tybalt so badly damaged by his kidnapping in the last book.

It was a pretty good story, though the “rescue Gillian” plot felt a little familiar. So did Toby’s succession of near-death experiences. The poor woman is constantly savaged from the beginning of the book to the end and I’ve grown kind of accustomed to her nearly bleeding out in every installment. All that being said, I still enjoyed the ride, because the writing is great, the world building is immersive, and these characters are ones I have grown to care about over the course of the series. I wanted Toby to get another chance with her daughter; I never tire of the Luidaig; and Tybalt is an awesome hero, one who never fails to put Toby first (something that she’s never had from anyone in her life.)

The book does manage to squeeze out a few surprises, like the hidden secrets revealed about Gillian’s stepmother… or the resolution to the Gilly storyline. But I’m not sure where we’re heading for any kind of climax in a series arc. This felt like a very insular chapter, rather than part of a bigger picture, even if some old snakes do come back to bite the good guys. I know there is another book ahead; I’m curious if it will be the last.

Overall, I think fans of the series will enjoy this, and the end will have some repercussions. It just doesn’t feel as big as some of the books that came before.

(PS – There is also a bonus novella included: “Suffer a Sea Change.” It gives us a peek behind the curtain from Gillian’s POV. I have to admit, I’m not a fan of hers. The way she has behaved toward Toby has been… less than stellar. But the novella made me hate her a little less.)

Rating: B/B+
Going back to the world of our dear Toby is always a pleasure. I have come to love this series. How can I not when Tybalt makes me want to swoon when he says things from his heart. Le Sigh....

After the events which occurred in The Brightest Fell, Toby is trying to avoid discussing what is troubling her, her relationship with Tybalt. She loves the King of Cats and she's not sure how they're going to move forward after what Amandine did to him. Her friends are worried about her and Tybalt but she rather not think about it.

Then, her ex-human boyfriend, Cliff comes knocking on her door. He's looking for their daughter, Gillian. She has gone missing (again!). Toby can't believe someone has taken her. She loved Gillian so much that when Gillian chose to be human and stay with Cliff, Toby walked away believing she would be safe in the human world. But, too many people remember that Toby had Gillian and she's sure a fae is involved in her disappearance.

With the help of her squire and her fetch Mae, she will go looking for Gillian. The search takes her to places where as you can guess, Toby has to fight for her life and she will end up being covered in her own blood. Nothing new there, right? That's mostly why she wears black anyway. There are many close calls and at the same time, I could feel that time was running out for her.

There's a huge plot changer. The reveal is a WOW moment where I wasn't sure if I read it right and I had to go back and reread it. Holy amazing Batman! I just couldn't wrap my head around it. Yet, it makes perfect sense. Not vague enough for you? I guess you're just going to need to read it.

The ending is perfect is an imperfect way. It leaves you with so many open questions and without a way to know the answers.

For all Tybalt fans, the man does make a good entrance. Perfect timing too. It broke my heart to see how hard everything is for him right now. I truly hate Amandine for what she did to him. Despite everything, every heartfelt spoken word by him is beautiful in its deliverance.

I really can't wait to see what happens next. I truly hope to see more of Gillian in the next book.

As always the Luidaeg is amazing in a terrifying way. One of my favorite characters in this series.

I can't finish my review without saying how amazing Seanan McGuire's writing is. It's almost poetic. Her characters are brought to life full of light and darkness.

Cliffhanger: No

5/5 Fangs

A complimentary copy was provided by DAW Books via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
Toby Daye's life is unsettled as usual, but more so after the events of The Brightest Fell. Toby's lover and fiance, Tybalt, King of Cats, and roommate, Jazz, were kidnapped and tortured by Toby's mother, Amandine the Liar. Jazz sleeps most of the time, and Tybalt has almost completely withdrawn from her life. Her problems explode when her mortal daughter, Gillian, is kidnapped by someone in Fairie-again. Toby must find who, and why to save Gillian, this time without the support of some of her most important allies. Along the way, there are significant surprises for Toby, old enemies,  and new beginnings.

I am continually surprised by the imagination and solid grounding in Celtic Mythology that Seanan McGuire employs in the October Daye Series, only one of the series she writes. She weaves Shakespeare references and mythology seamlessly into a fascinating whole. Toby's world is fantastic but believably built. Night and Silence is one of the better books in the series, and I am eagerly waiting for the next in the series. It is critical to begin at the beginning with October Daye and understand the changes she has gone through.

Thanks to DAW and NetGalley for an advance digital copy. The opinions are my own.
I love Seanan McGuire and even more this series, so you can imagine that I threw myself on this new volume! Oh yes, and I loved the story once again!

Oh Toby, my poor Toby … You do everything for everyone, you’re there for them, you go on perilous quests to help others and what do you get back as a reward? A lot of problems. It’s not fair, that’s for sure and my heart broke when I saw all that you went through … Tybalt who abandons you, not because he does not want you anymore, but because he can not heal and finally he does not want to let you help him overcoming that. I think it’s the hardest thing. I know that he counts a lot for you and that it’s difficult even if you do not want to let it show. And then, things get worse when Cliff, your ex-husband and his new wife come to accuse you of kidnapping your daughter. Your own daughter! And then your life is once again upset down. Your daughter is in danger and you will do everything to find and protect her.

I was touched by this story. Toby will finally face her old family and will discover frustrating, annoying and yet so surprising secrets. I was sad, angry and happy with her. Old enemies will reappear, some that we did not think to see again! Many things in perspective!

I also loved having this little novella at the end of the story from Gillian’s point of view and I can not wait to see how the events are going to turn now!
Night and Silence, the 12th installment in the October Daye series by Seanan McGuire, is full of bombshells and might be the most explosive entry in the series to date. I don’t know what I expected from Night and Silence, but this wasn’t it. Hold onto your leather jacket folks!

Night and Silence is a book about family. Biological family, chosen family and the ties that bind us together and the lies that hold us apart. Toby’s family is fractured and she’s doing her best to hold the pieces together, but in typical Toby fashion, the edges are sharp and there’s blood everywhere.

The seeds Seanan planted way back in book one are starting to come to fruition. Questions that grew in the first few books have borne fruit and we’re finally getting answers to some of the biggest questions in the series. But as each answer is plucked from the vine, another blooms in its place.

Oh is it satisfying to finally get some answers, some resolution and to see the shape of things to come.

It’s clear that Seanan planned major plot points out carefully and early on. I can see that she has A Vision and knows where she’s going with the story. What I’m not sure about is some of her decisions on how to get from Major Point A to Major Point B. Some of the plot decisions she’s made in Night and Silence feel recycled. She did some of this in The Brightest Fell as well, and for the plot to feel recycled two books in a row was a disappointment.

As a standalone book, Night and Silence is excellent. As an entry in the October Daye series, it is one of the most important books to the plot, but is a weaker entry than I’d have liked because of the plot recycling.

Night and Silence is on shelves now wherever books are sold.

Thank you to DAW for providing me with an eARC in exchange for my honest review.
Y'all, it's release date, which means I am cutting it just past the wire as I finish this one. I was stoked to be approved for an ARC of Night and Silence, this twelfth book in the series, because I love it and I love Toby Daye as a character and because I love Seanan McGuire (who lives in Seattle!)

BUT the only downside is that I had to re-read all of the other books, and there are 11 of them (not including novellas or other stories) so it took a minute.

All that to say, I finally finished this one today. And whew was it worth all of the lead up and the wait. So many secrets revealed, so many new adventures primed.

First, a quick recap of where we've come from. October "Toby" Daye is a changeling—that is, the child of a fae parent and a human parent. A long time ago, she made the changeling choice and opted for the fae side of her, only unfortunately her fae mom was not really interested in being a mother to her. Toby is also a private detective in the Bay Area. In her first adventure, Toby is unceremoniously turned into a fish while pursuing her liege's kidnapped wife and kid. Even more unfortunately, she stays a fish for 14 years. Bummmer. And then throughout the next books, she goes on many more, mostly life-threatening adventures, gathering friends and family and unveiling secrets along the way. McGuire infuses quite a lot of Shakespeare into this series: all of the titles of the books are taken from Shakespeare quotes, many of the characters have Shakespeare-inspired names, Toby herself is a big fan, and as fae are immortal, some of them were contemporaries of old Willy Shakes himself, so it all comes full circle.

I played a fun game while re-reading where I renamed all of the books as if they were Harry Potter books. Night and Silence I renamed "Toby Daye and the Old Home Week."

One thing that is great for new readers: while you can (and in my opinion, absolutely should) start from the beginning, McGuire does a fairly good job of recapping essential information as she goes through the new books in the series, so although you of course won't get the whole action of the previous books, you can get the gist and not be completely lost.

In Night and Silence, Toby's estranged, college-age human daughter Gillian has been kidnapped, Toby's pretty sure by somebody from faerie (so nothing she can explain to her ex and his new wife when they are curious about where the daughter might have gone), and Toby has to track her down. This isn't the first time that Gillian has been kidnapped because of Toby, but it is a bit more dangerous this time around, for a number of reasons. Toby's made quite a few enemies over the years, so the list of people who might want to punish or blackmail her by taking her daughter is pretty extensive.

I can't really get into too many more details without giving bits away, and the bits are too good to give away. Boy are them some doozy secrets revealed in this one. It feels like a whole new beginning for Toby and a refresh for the series (not that it needs it). I have to admit, when I saw the synopsis for the book, I thought to myself, "Again? She gets kidnapped again?" Especially since some of the characters that pop up as villains once again are folks that we thought were vanquished. Are we never going to be able to trust that someone is dealt with and/or dead, for real? But all of those thoughts went out the window as the story went on, with ever-increasing stakes and a satisfying resolution that left me wanting to read the thirteenth book in the series immediately. (Alas.)

One of my absolute favourite things about this series is the family that McGuire has built around Toby. I think many of us can relate to the idea of our biological families not always being what we need them to be, and of constructing a chosen family around ourselves to fill the gaps. That's truly what Toby has around her now, and they all grok her on such a deep level that it often brings tears to my eyes. The unspectacular way that McGuire has introduced such a diverse range of characters and experiences among the gang is aspirational. And I will always want to be a little bit like Toby: selfless and reliable to a fault, enormously gooey with a hard shell, and endlessly sarcastic. (I think I got that last one pretty well down, actually.)

I highly recommend this series if you are at all interested in faerie/fairy stories, or magic, or just generally awesome fantasy with spectacular and intricate worldbuilding. And if you like this series, Seanan McGuire has written other books under her name, as well as pseudonyms for other genres. They're all stellar.
"We stood there, wounded, frozen, exhausted, and waited for home to start feeling like home again. We waited for safety to come back. We were going to be waiting for a very long time." ~ The Brightest Fell

In Night and Silence we see a Toby who is still reeling from what her mother did to force Toby to find her sister August. Her relationship with Tybalt feels like it is hanging by a thread and Toby is in despair about how to fix things. Toby's friend Danny ineptly tries to encourage Toby to rectify a relationship she fears is irretrievably damaged by talking to Tybalt, who doesn't want to talk to her at all because he has such terrible PTSD. (Ironically, Toby's never been the sort of person to feel very hopeful. Also ironically, when you look a lot like your cruel mother, your mistreated loved one may have issues with you.) May, Toby's Fetch sister, is also trying to hold things together for Jazz, who has recovered a bit better than has Tybalt, but remains deeply shaken. Raj, Tybalt's nephew and heir, treads lightly and often furtively, to avoid too many questions from Toby. Quentin, Toby's squire, ponders whether there is anything he can do other than just be there for all of them.

It is into this messy well of sadness that a new crisis falls- Toby's now-human daughter Gillian is, once again, kidnapped. This time it clearly isn't Sylvester's mentally unhinged daughter Rayseline, since Raysel was elf shot several books back and is still deep in her now full Daoine Sidhe one hundred years' slumber. And Toby is pretty sure that it isn't even a once-again ensorcelled Simon, lost somewhere in deeper Faerie after the events of The Brightest Fell, a failure of Toby's that has her on edge yet again with Sylvester, her uncle, and liege. (Sylvester has asked Toby to keep her distance because his wife Luna is so upset over Simon's being on the loose again.) So who is it and what do they want? Because the only reason to take Gilly is to get to Sir October Daye, Knight of Lost Words, Hero of the Realm. In the process of solving the kidnapping and rescuing Gillian, a question long held by readers of the series will be answered and lives will be forever changed.

It's obvious that the events of this novel have been long-planned by McGuire, over the arc of twelve novels. The payoff is huge. In some ways even bigger than in The Winter Long. I was caught off-guard by the events of the book, which were so very different from what I had expected. On the one hand, the revelations, the outcomes, were rather stunning. On the other hand, part of me was uneasy with Gillian being kidnapped again (she was first kidnapped back in One Salt Sea), and the fact that yet again, we have the revelation that someone wasn't who they seemed to be. Plus, another round of demands we've heard before. (How many times can you viably do this, dear author?) Yet there are major developments built upon this platform. Even the revelations come with their own revelations in this book.

Night and Silence left me with so many new questions. One of the most stunning outcomes was disquieting to me because of the looming settlement of Toby's debt with the Luidaeg, who called in the debt of the Selkies a year ago. What's going to happen? (Readers will see what I mean when they read the novella Suffer a Sea Change included at the end of the book and think about the Selkies and the Roane.) While things with Tybalt are better resolved by the novel's end, the means by which this is achieved still seemed precarious to me. Is that truly safe, given the way the Cait Sidhe work? One thing I was glad of is that Toby finally realizes the changelings of the Mists need more attention. And hey, the seneschal of Goldengreen could use a changeling hero's help with her present project. Finally, the other thing, that big reveal... Seriously, what is wrong with some of these fae and human people? The level of their racist hypocrisy is simply stunning. What does it all mean? Decide for yourself, Reader. This is one installment that will leave you thinking until The Unkindest Tide rolls in.

"The world had changed. The world wasn't changing back." ~ Night and Silence

I received an ARC from DAW via NetGalley and a paper ARC from the author.
As with any October Daye novel, there is plenty of adventure and investigating happening in NIGHT AND SILENCE. With her allies by her side, Toby kicks butt and continues to show me why I continue reading after so many novels.

The relationship between Toby and her daughter Gillian is heavily explored in NIGHT AND SILENCE. We learn A LOT about Gillian as well as her father and step mom. We dive deep into feelings all around and I was left so sad and hopeful for their future as mother and daughter at the end of the book.

I'm only going to talk briefly about romantic relationship stuff. I was so scared that the rift between October and Tybalt would ruin NIGHT AND SILENCE for me, but it didn't. It was really sad, but it added some nice emotion to the storyline at multiple points throughout the book.

I love everything about the October Daye series and can still see if continuing for years to come.

* This book was provided free of charge from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.