Night and Silence

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 25 Sep 2018

4.5 Stars, rounded up because seriously DAW, we need more books in this series, okay?

"A little more than kin, and less than kind." ~ from Hamlet, Wm. Shakespeare

In late 2009 my friend Diana (The Literate Kitty) pressed me to read Rosemary and Rue, the debut novel by an author by the name of Seanan McGuire. It had everything she knew I loved- Shakespeare, Celtic fae, cats, and a contemplative tone. Oh, and lots of coffee. Twelve books later and if anyone asks what some of my favorite urban fantasy series are, they're going to hear all about my love of Toby Daye and Kate Daniels (by Ilona Andrews) and how these two series, though very different in tone and their heroines' nature, have given readers some of the finest urban fantasy out there. (It's been a stellar week in urban fantasy with both series releasing books within a week of one another!) If pressed to choose a favorite between the two, I honestly don't think I could. But let me tell you about Toby.

McGuire's October Daye books are a series that looks at marginalized races (changelings, mixed bloods, shapeshifter fae, humans), mental health issues, and families and their secrets. The series is largely set in the San Francisco Bay area, in a fae kingdom call the Mists. Toby Daye holds onto her last traces of humanity proudly and is undoubtedly one of the most productive and useful changelings in the Mists. She's not alone, though. We've also met a slew of changelings with remarkable talents, including the powerful portal-punching Chelsea, sisters with rare gifts of sight, Karen and Cassandra, and (in theory) brave Marcia, who manages to make herself indispensable wherever she serves. (So many people suspect Marcia is more than she seems.) All in all, while most pureblooded fae have looked down on the changelings, it seems that the present crop can possess rare skills. Overlooking them and trying to marginalize them has proven foolish, especially for one False Queen, and her collaborator in a neighboring kingdom, King Rhys. Also, we've recently seen in one of McGuire's best-deal-on-the-internet Patreon stories, some pretty important changelings have been changed, via hope chests, into pureblooded fae. Who knows how many people in this 'verse were initially part human in origin? Certainly not Toby Daye. After all, when we first met her, Toby knew very little about her own family and those that surround her. She was too traumatized by her upbringing and some searing life events.

Part of the reason that Toby was in the dark about goings-on in her own family was due to having lost fourteen years of her life after being turned into a fish by the man that turned out to be her stepfather, Simon Torquill. (Some significant relationship information withheld from her by her liege, Sylvester.) Toby went through a serious depression after recovering her original form and finding her daughter Gillian and Gilly's father Cliff had moved on with their lives and wanted nothing to do with her. Cliff married a woman named Miranda, who has embraced Gillian, a toddler when Toby disappeared, as her own daughter. Toby's depression and risk-taking behavior made those around her careful with what they have told her. But the truth will out, eventually. Over the course of eleven books we've come to see Toby's mother as cruel and mentally unstable, learn that Toby had a missing older sister, August, that her stepfather Simon might have been trying to spare her a worse fate than being a fish, and that Toby's mother and two of her fearsome aunts are Firstborn among the fae- direct descendants of Oberon. While Toby's growing friendship with the Luidaeg, her aunt Antigone, has become surrogate mother-like in some respects, her relationship to her other aunt, Evening Winterrose, has become one of overt enmity. And in the most recent book, The Brightest Fell, Toby parted ways with her mother, Amandine, after Amy forced Toby to find her missing sister August, by doing some pretty despicable stuff to Toby's fiancé, Tybalt, and her Fetch sister May's girlfriend Jazz.

Toby has come a long way since we first met her. She's been something of a wrecking ball, taking down a False Queen and installing a real one, and doing the same in a neighboring kingdom. All while solving mysteries, murders, and championing changeling rights. The Dóchas Sidhe race that she, her mother, and sister August belong to was supposed to be one of hope (and more than just a hope chest kind of hope) but Toby is the only one that's currently supplying it in her family line. Though she represents hope, in multiple respects, Toby herself hasn't been able to catch much of a breather. We can assume that there are times where she and her chosen family (Tybalt, May, Quentin, Raj, and Jazz) can just chill. Of course, chilling doesn't make for a dramatic plot, so usually when we see Toby she's literally bleeding all over everything and running on fumes.

One of the plot devices that McGuire has used in this series, several times now, is the idea of "look again." Toby can go somewhere and brush by someone that a few books later turns out to be a crucial person she's been looking for. (Impressive plot planning by McGuire here.) The idea of looking deeper and realizing that you don't really know what you're looking at until you need to know, is an interesting one. (It's also one that an author has to be careful not to overuse.)

"We stood there, wounded, frozen, exhausted, and waited for home to start feeling like home again. We waited for safety to come back. We were going to be waiting for a very long time." ~ The Brightest Fell

In Night and Silence we see a Toby who is still reeling from what her mother did to force Toby to find her sister August. Her relationship with Tybalt feels like it is hanging by a thread and Toby is in despair about how to fix things. Toby's friend Danny ineptly tries to encourage Toby to rectify a relationship she fears is irretrievably damaged by talking to Tybalt, who doesn't want to talk to her at all because he has such terrible PTSD. (Ironically, Toby's never been the sort of person to feel very hopeful. Also ironically, when you look a lot like your cruel mother, your mistreated loved one may have issues with you.) May, Toby's Fetch sister, is also trying to hold things together for Jazz, who has recovered a bit better than has Tybalt, but remains deeply shaken. Raj, Tybalt's nephew and heir, treads lightly and often furtively, to avoid too many questions from Toby. Quentin, Toby's squire, ponders whether there is anything he can do other than just be there for all of them.

It is into this messy well of sadness that a new crisis falls- Toby's now-human daughter Gillian is, once again, kidnapped. This time it clearly isn't Sylvester's mentally unhinged daughter Rayseline, since Raysel was elf shot several books back and is still deep in her now full Daoine Sidhe one hundred years' slumber. And Toby is pretty sure that it isn't even a once-again ensorcelled Simon, lost somewhere in deeper Faerie after the events of The Brightest Fell, a failure of Toby's that has her on edge yet again with Sylvester, her uncle, and liege. (Sylvester has asked Toby to keep her distance because his wife Luna is so upset over Simon's being on the loose again.) So who is it and what do they want? Because the only reason to take Gilly is to get to Sir October Daye, Knight of Lost Words, Hero of the Realm. In the process of solving the kidnapping and rescuing Gillian, a question long held by readers of the series will be answered and lives will be forever changed.

It's obvious that the events of this novel have been long-planned by McGuire, over the arc of twelve novels. The payoff is huge. In some ways even bigger than in The Winter Long. I was caught off-guard by the events of the book, which were so very different from what I had expected. On the one hand, the revelations, the outcomes, were rather stunning. On the other hand, part of me was uneasy with Gillian being kidnapped again (she was first kidnapped back in One Salt Sea), and the fact that yet again, we have the revelation that someone wasn't who they seemed to be. Plus, another round of demands we've heard before. (How many times can you viably do this, dear author?) Yet there are major developments built upon this platform. Even the revelations come with their own revelations in this book.

Night and Silence left me with so many new questions. One of the most stunning outcomes was disquieting to me because of the looming settlement of Toby's debt with the Luidaeg, who called in the debt of the Selkies a year ago. What's going to happen? (Readers will see what I mean when they read the novella Suffer a Sea Change included at the end of the book and think about the Selkies and the Roane.) While things with Tybalt are better resolved by the novel's end, the means by which this is achieved still seemed precarious to me. Is that truly safe, given the way the Cait Sidhe work? One thing I was glad of is that Toby finally realizes the changelings of the Mists need more attention. And hey, the seneschal of Goldengreen could use a changeling hero's help with her present project. Finally, the other thing, that big reveal... Seriously, what is wrong with some of these fae and human people? The level of their racist hypocrisy is simply stunning. What does it all mean? Decide for yourself, Reader. This is one installment that will leave you thinking until The Unkindest Tide rolls in.

"The world had changed. The world wasn't changing back." ~ Night and Silence

I received an ARC from DAW via NetGalley and a paper ARC from the author.
After the events that occurred in The Brightest Fell, Toby is trying her best to pull her family back together. However, Amandine the Liar’s actions left everybody with some form of suffering or trauma. Jazz doesn’t sleep and May is going everything she can to keep Jazz sane. Tybalt on the other hand, has withdrawn from Toby completely to the point that it has been weeks since he last visited since he refuses to let Toby help him deal with his trauma. Sadly, Toby needs to set aside the pain of his absence when her ex-boyfriend Cliff and his wife Miranda show up at her house. The reason for this visit? Both are accusing Toby of kidnapping her own daughter, Gillian, who appears to have been kidnapped again. After making it clear to them that she would never do something to her own daughter, Toby begins her search for Gillian and everything points to Faerie’s involvement. Now who would want Gillian now that she’s no longer part of the Fae and there’s also not many who know that Toby has a human daughter. Then again, Toby has made quite a number of enemies which includes some we may have forgotten about. Nonetheless, Toby is not going to let anything stop her from rescuing Gillian even if it costs her life which what the enemy is hoping for.

Overall, Night and Silence was a strong addition to the October Daye series! Seriously, this has got to be one of the most informative novels of the series. Not only were their plenty of twists but there were startling revelations about Toby’s family. This may be the 12th installment but Seanan McGuire show no signs loosing her touch. In fact, its the opposite and each installment is getting stronger! It really makes me look forward to the next novel. We also get another a short story, Suffer A Sea-Change, like in the last two books which retells a part of Night and Silence but from Gillian’s perspective. Thought that was a nice touch from Seanan McGuire since Gillian’s appearance in the novel was short but the short story makes up for it. I always wanted to know what goes through Gillian’s head since I thought it was unfair that she grew up believing Toby abandoned her and her father. Thankfully, it looks like that estranged relationship between Toby and Gillian will begin to thaw out due to the events in Night and Silence. So that’s another thing I look forward to in the next novel. Now I wish September 2019 was here already so I can my hands on The Unkindest Tide. However, until then, fans will definitely enjoy Night and Silence which I promise will be an enjoyable adventure to read!

*I received Night and Silence from Berkley Publishing Group via Netgalley in return for an honest review.*
"Now in hardcover, the twelfth installment of the Hugo-nominated, New York Times-bestselling Toby Daye urban fantasy series!

Things are not okay.

In the aftermath of Amandine's latest betrayal, October "Toby" Daye's fragile self-made family is on the verge of coming apart at the seams. Jazz can't sleep, Sylvester doesn't want to see her, and worst of all, Tybalt has withdrawn from her entirely, retreating into the Court of Cats as he tries to recover from his abduction. Toby is floundering, unable to help the people she loves most heal. She needs a distraction. She needs a quest.

What she doesn't need is the abduction of her estranged human daughter, Gillian. What she doesn't need is to be accused of kidnapping her own child by her ex-boyfriend and his new wife, who seems to be harboring secrets of her own. There's no question of whether she'll take the case. The only question is whether she's emotionally prepared to survive it.

Two questions remain: Who in Faerie remembered Gillian existed? And what do they stand to gain?

No matter how this ends, Toby's life will never be the same."

Damn right now in hardcover!
*ARC received from NetGalley in return for an honest review*

October Daye is a heroine that keeps getting better with every book. Even with the fact that similar themes from another book are brought back up October has grown enough that everything seems new. I read this not long after losing my mother to cancer. This book spoke to me about a mother's love that I needed during this time. McGuire is a brilliant author creating a masterpiece that I am going to treasure forever. I have so much more praise, but for now, all I can say is please buy this book. You will not be disappointed.
Sir October (Toby) Daye is taking it one day at a time.  Her family is healing from the events of the previous book (The Brightest Fell) where Amandine, her mother, betrayed them - again.  Her fiance, Tybalt, king of the Cait Sidhe, keeps disappearing leaving ruling in the hands of his heir, and Jazz seems to be fading away as she sleeps less and less.  Everyone is on edge since the kidnappings, and recovery seems a long ways away.  So when Toby's ex-husband and his wife barge into her home - the family's refuge - insisting Toby was complicit in the disappearance of Gillian, Toby's estranged daughter, she is only a step away from breaking.

Despite the estrangement, Toby cannot stand the thought of her daughter at the mercy of the Fae since Toby had changed her to entirely human by pulling all of her Fae blood from her veins.  She immediately rounds up her compatriots to go to the crime scene where Gillian was last known to be - her college, Berkeley.

It is a sign of Toby's character how her friends immediately come to her aid when they discover her latest cause, and the lengths to which they will go to assist her.

Another engrossing tale in the world of faerie from McGuire, whose books always enthrall me from beginning to end.
This is the 12th book in the October Daye series, right now there are 13 books on contract for this series.  This book was an amazing addition to this series and I really loved it a lot.  We get to dive into Toby’s past and interact with her “human” family .

Toby’s daughter, Gillian, has been kidnapped and Toby’s ex begs her to help look for Gillian.  The big question is whether Gillian was kidnapped by a normal human criminal or if Faerie was involved.  The answer ends up being startling and intriguing.

Meanwhile, Tybalt is still recovering from his ordeals in the last book and trying to come to terms with his new fears and self-doubts.  I was glad when he re-entered the story; he is one of my favorites.

The story was masterfully crafted and I continue to really love all of these characters.  I loved how things were tied up and am curious to see where the story goes from here.  There is a novella at the end that details what Gillian goes through at the end of the “Night and Silence”; this was well done and provided excellent insight into Gillian’s character.

Overall this book was an amazing addition to what is one of my favorite urban fantasy series.  I love every aspect of this book.  I am curious to hear if this series ends at 13 or if there are more novels planned.
Seanan McGuire's October Daye series just gets better and better.  It was nice to see Toby finally speak up in her own defense - to SEVERAL individuals who richly deserved it - and stop eating her words and stifling her reactions.  It's about time.
Despite each book seeming like it couldn't possibly be topped, Ms. McGuire has done it again.  (Why am I surprised?)  This installment in Toby's adventures exceeded the high bar of the previous titles.  I cannot recommend highly enough.
I don't know how Seanan McGuire continues to write compelling installments of the October Daye series but she does.

Night and Silence is the 12th in an urban fantasy series that is easily one of my top five "must reads".  This is one of those series that I would recommend starting at the bottom and reading your way up. October "Toby" Daye has too much backstory to simply start in the middle, although the author does do a good job of getting you up to speed if you've forgotten what happened in the previous book.

One thing that Seanan McGuire does well is persecuting her MC. Toby's life is not sunshine and roses. Sometimes good, sometimes terrible, there are no quick fixes in Toby's world. McGuire's characters certainly suffer for the greater good, and sometimes for the lesser evil. I love that her characters not only change and grow but suffer setbacks. Unlike authors whose characters develop in leaps and bounds, McGuire's are more two steps forward and one step back.  While there is romance, it takes a backseat to the storyline and character development. I appreciate that it's there, but if I want to read romance, Imma gonna read romance, know what I mean?

While Night and Silence isn't my favorite of the twelve, it certainly is a great continuation of the series. If you love urban fantasy, especially fae urban fantasy, and you haven't read the October Daye series, do yourself a favor and pick it up!
eanan McGuire's Night and Silence is the Twelfth installment in the authors October Daye series. As the story opens, things are not going well for October "Toby" Daye and her adopted family. Owing to her mother's latest actions, Toby's family is cracking: her sister's girlfriend Jazz doesn't sleep, and her beloved Tybalt has withdrawn from her and refuses to reach out for help. In order to keep herself from breaking down, Toby, Danny, and Quentin are tasked at hunting down creatures who are not supposed to exist, or be in this world.

But, nobody could have foreseen what happens next. Her ex-boyfriend Cliff and his new wife Miranda show up on her doorstep with an accusation: daughter Gillian has been kidnapped and they hold Toby responsible. While it's obvious that Toby will investigate, it's utter horse manure that Toby would jeopardize the daughter she has had no contact with since the day she gave Gillian the Changeling's Choice by removing any Fae blood and leaving her 100% human.

The same choice she was given back in 1959. (Oh, there's a novella called Never Shines the Sun that will explain that to you.) The daughter who has no clue what actually happened to Toby, thanks to her father, that caused her to disappear for 14 years. Who in Faerie has the knowledge that Toby has a human daughter? Of all those who knew, they're either supposed to be dead, or were Elf shot and are supposed to be sleeping for 100 years. Knowing that Toby has more enemies than the President of the US, anyone could be involved.

After all, it's not easy going through life being known as the King Breaker, or being the daughter of Amandine who put Toby and her friends through hell in the previous installment. It's also not easy being the so called Hero of the Kingdom in the Mists. Whenever Faerie is involved, secrets tend to be revealed, and villains pop up seemingly from beyond the grave. Toby must find Gillian before time runs out or the cost may be too much for everyone involved. She also has to find a way to get through to Tybalt before she loses him forever.

There are a few things you need to know to better enjoy the story. First, the story takes place soon after the aftermath of what happened to Toby and her crew in Once Broken Faith. You really must read the stories back to back to understand what happened, and why characters like May, Tybalt, Jazz, and yes, even Toby, are struggling to get on with their lives. Especially Tybalt who has basically disappeared from Toby's life.

Second, there is a novella included in the back of this book. It is called a Suffer a Sea-Change. I read Toby's story first and then the novella to see where in the story this novella takes place. If you've read Night and Silence, you know what happens and where the novella intersects with the main book. It's apparent to me that this is another of the author's story arcs. I wouldn't be surprised if the story continues in the next installment called The Unkindest Tide (2019).

I admit that I loathe Cliff and hope that we, as readers, don't ever have to hear about him again. I will never forgive him for shutting the door, literally, in Toby's face without understanding what happened to her, and then not allowing their daughter to discover the truth. For everything that Cliff did to Toby, the worse was allowing Gillian to believe that she had been abandoned by her own mother. Toby does get some satisfaction in putting him in his place. Can't tell you how happy that made me feel.

Then there's Miranda who swooped in like a avenging angel to take Toby's family away from her in her absence. There's so much I'd like to say about Miranda, but I can't because it's a major part of several plot lines. One could legitimately say that Toby's blood family is absolutely screwed up, while her adopted family are the ones who have stood by her through many, many, many episodes of Toby ending up bloody, hurt, and almost dead.
I always start counting down the days until I can read a new Toby book from the second I finished the last one. So, now I've started counting down again. The Toby books are ones that I'm always happy I read, but I'm always sad that I've finished them because that means I can't read them for the first time again.

Toby is trying to put her family back together after her mother, Amandine the Liar, took Jazz and Tybalt, and locked them away until Toby did what she wanted. Neither Tybalt or Jazz are doing all that well. In fact, Tybalt is so not doing well that Toby's not seen him in days, and it's ripping her apart. He's so much part of her life now. And to put the cherry on that terrible sundae, her ex Cliff and his new wife, Miranda, have burst into her house to accuse her of kidnapping her daughter Gillian, who she hasn't seen in 2 years.

Now she has to figure out who has her daughter, why Gillian was taken, who the bad guys are, and why they are acting the way that they are. And she has to still figure out her personal life at the same time.

Tybalt and Toby are one of my favorite couples in urban fantasy these days. I mean, a Shakespeare spouting wet dream who turns into a cat? That's seriously magical if you ask me. I've loved their story arc from the very beginning, and I look forward to seeing it continue. The Luidaeg is as cantankerous, mysterious, and obscure as she ever is, and I hope that she never changes. I think she is one of the best villains who maybe aren't as villainous as they appear out there. Not that she's nice and sweet or anything, she's anything but, but she's not necessarily a villain either. She is, as ever, motivated by things that no one else knows or understands. I love that sea witch.

I can't wait to see what happens in the next book because there have been big changes and there are definitely going to be ripples out from them. And hopefully Toby and Tybalt can finally get married!
Night and Silence by Seanan McGuire, Can't say how much I really like this series. It's well written and engaging with just enough "fairy tales" pulled in to leave you thinking "Hmmm that works". This book pulls you further into the Rabbit Hole with even more backstory to make you not want the book to end!
The newest in the October Day Series from Seanan McGuire doesn't disappoint! As expected from Ms. McGuire, the narrative hits the ground running and doesn't let up until the end. Some people binge watch a TV series, some binge on a well loved snack food. I confess, I binge read the October Day series. As soon as I finished this book, I read it again, then started the series over again.

In this installment, October's daughter Gillian has gone missing (again). At first, I felt like this might be like watching a re-run. But this book seems to be more about the relationships that October has. It's also commentary on the complication relationships that come up with divorce, and the insecurity of parenthood.

Every day (in real life) it seems I see news of another missing child, another family torn apart. October has gone to extremes to try to make sure her daughter is safe. But there is no such thing as safe, especially when faerie is involved. And she has her own personal relationships to deal with as well. Tybalt isn't around and she's having to deal with the ex and his wife.

The usual cast of characters makes their appearance, and this page-turner will no doubt keep readers of this series entertained and (as always) left wanting more.
There comes a time when things must end. It’s one of those inescapable truths and, as humans—keenly aware of our own mortality—we get this.

But carbon life forms don’t hold a monopoly on the concept; eventually, everything hits a point of being past its prime.

Most of us hope to reach a place of some decrepitude before it’s time to stop walking this mortal coil. (Being “old” is sorta the goal, for most humans.) Big-ticket items such as computers, phones, and cars are all designed with an expected obsolescence built in (which typically has more to do with corporations making money than with a sudden lack of functionality or usefulness, but I digress…). When it comes to series, though—whether books, movie franchises, or TV shows—the object is definitely to go out on a high note… before whatever-it-is seems tired and long-in-the-tooth.

And that notion is what kept popping into my mind when reading Night and Silence, the latest in Seanan McGuire’s ever-engrossing (and long-running) October Daye urban fantasy series. “Could it be time..?”

Now, don’t misunderstand; it would be virtually impossible for me to not enjoy this book (and I did—a good deal, actually). But, I find myself increasingly starting to question just how much gas is left in McGuire’s tank for Toby’s story.

If you’ve read my reviews on some of the earlier entries in this series (and you should, if you want to get a handle on her world, here), or are already familiar, then you’ll remember the basics: October Daye, once a changeling (born of half-Fae, half-human blood) splits her time between the regular world (that would be our world) and that belonging solely to the Faeries (which they work their damnedest to make sure humans remain unaware of), acting as a sort of P.I. in both.

The plot, well… there are always similarities from book to book in this series, so I won’t go into Night and Silence’s storyline in any depth; suffice it to say that this time out, someone in Toby’s immediate family goes missing, and it’s up to her (and her delightful little crew of constant companions) to find the missing person and see that the miscreant(s) responsible are duly punished for the heinous acts committed.

One of the biggest constants is that poor Toby never seems to catch a break—in any sense. She’s always being run ragged (the Fae are nothing if not demanding of her time), and you know that law, about whatever can go wrong? Yeah, that.

In a roundabout way, though, that leads me to the notion that this series may be starting to show its age; it isn’t the fact that Toby is overworked, (often) under-appreciated, and exhausted—after all, the constant action, danger, and friction fuel these stories—but rather, the problem is that we’re being told that, here… every few paragraphs. Or, how many times, within the space of a few chapters, does Toby mention Tybalt (her feline-based fiancé) using the “bridal carry” (in his human, not four-pawed form) to get her to safety? Too many. When things begin to feel repetitive, that’s when I start looking for the exit… and Night and Silence, unfortunately, has a lamentable amount of repetitiveness.

(Interestingly, these instances could have been fixed in the editing process—re-wording phrases here, just cutting out unnecessary bits there—and I’m curious as to why they weren’t. Making this a tighter book would have made it a better book.)

Like I said earlier, though, with (nearly all of) our favorite characters taking part, and the author making us work hard to keep up with the twisty familial ties and histories, there’s still much to keep the reader engaged, here.

For how much longer, though, that is the question…

~GlamKitty
This series just gets better and better. In this newest installment, faerie knight October Daye deals with the estrangement of her lover, the kidnap of her daughter (yes, again, but wait--it's actually ok and not totally trite!), and learning some new family history. Although the kidnapping of Gillian, Daye's daughter, was a previous plot point, in this episode the kidnap leads to changes in Daye's world that I never expected and that work remarkably well with the series universe and previous plotlines. We also get introduced to a new character who begins as a threat and becomes...a possible future ally, and we get lots of the Luidaeg, who is one of the best characters in any fantasy world.
Seanan McGuire never fails to amaze me... and to wreak utter havoc with my emotions. Night and Silence is a strong addition to the October Daye series, with new twists and turns and some totally startling revelations and developments. How many series can get to book #12 with no signs of slowing or slumping? The October Daye series has always been excellent, and this new book lives up to all the rest.

Since this is a pre-release review, I'm going to be vague about just about everything. I know I'd hate to discover spoilers before the book even comes out, so I'll be discreet, I promise! If you're reading this review, chances are more than good that you're a Toby fan, and that you're panting (and maybe drooling a bit) to find out what happens next, after that doozy of an ending from book #11, The Brightest Fell.

As the synopsis above makes clear, things are NOT okay at the beginning of this book. Toby and Tybalt are more or less estranged, since Tybalt is suffering serious trauma after his ordeal at the hands of Amandine in book #11. And this just breaks my heart. I love the two of them together, and I love Tybalt as an individual. It hurts to see him suffering, and it hurts to see Toby suffering from his distance and her inability to reach him and help him.

When Gillian is kidnapped and Toby springs into action, it brings her back into contact with both the humans from her past and some nefarious folks from the fae part of her life too. Still, it's great to see Toby on a mission, and to see her allies rallying round to back her up and give her their support.

There are some MAJOR reveals, including the answer to a question that's bugged me almost from the start of the series. But see, I'm being discreet, so I won't even say what the question is, much less the answer.

The hunt for the kidnappers and the outcome are not what anyone would expect. Let's leave it at that. The ending of this book is a game-changer, and I can't wait to see what happens next.

It's startling to me to realize that as of the beginning of this year, I had not yet entered the amazing world of October Daye. What a difference a few months make! I love this series to bits and pieces, and can't recommend it highly enough! Seanan McGuire must be part Fae herself, because she spins the best magical stories. I love everything she writes, and Night and Silence is a treat. Read it! And if you haven't read any October Daye books yet, start with Rosemary and Rue. I dare you to stop after one book!

PS:

As an afterward to Night and Silence is the long short-story Suffer A Sea-Change. I'm not going to tell you who's in it (okay, obviously the Luidaeg, but I'm not saying who else) or what it's about, because anything I might say would be majorly spoilery. Suffice it to say that Suffer A Sea-Change picks up from the end point of Night and Silence, and is a fantastic side note to the main novel -- absolutely not to be missed.
Title: Night and Silence
Series: October Daye Book #12
Stand Alone Title: recommended in order
Author:  Seanan McGuire
Genre:  Urban Fantasy
Blurb: The twelfth installment of the Hugo-nominated, New York Times-bestselling Toby Daye urban fantasy series!

Things are not okay.

Signs of Faerie's involvement are everywhere, and it's going to take all Toby's nerve and all her allies to get her through this web of old secrets, older hatreds, and new deceits. If she can't find Gillian before time runs out, her own child will pay the price. One question remains:

Who in Faerie remembered Gillian existed? And what do they stand to gain? No matter how this ends, Toby's life will never be the same.
Favorite quote(s): “I am – damaged, October, I am hurt in ways I have never been hurt before, that I can barely put name to, much less chart in their healing.  I flinch from my own shadow.  How is that fit behavior for a king?  How is that fit behavior for your love?”
“Your definition of victory will never cease to shock and horrify me.”
Thoughts: This is one of my absolute favorite series – if your new to the author or to October Daye, I definitely recommend reading all the previous books….not just because this one builds off of events in those, but because they are amazing!!  You can’t get a better urban fantasy series than this one.  With that being said, this book broke my heart.  Having followed this series from book one, I know these characters and love them….and after the events in the last book, I knew this one would be hard.  No one comes back from trauma the same.  October felt that and struggles seeing it from Tybalt, and I struggled right along with her.  The changes in Tybalt were heartbreaking.  I loved how Toby’s friends stood by her – even against one of their own who was hurting her without meaning to.  This was not only and adventure but a poignant, emotional journey.  One of the best in the series!
Rating: A+
All is not well in the land of Toby Daye. Toby’s fiance Tybalt has been unable to cope with his imprisonment and has withdrawn from her life. Toby’s fetch May is doing everything she can to keep her lover Jazz sane. Just when Toby thinks life can’t get any worse, her ex-husband contacts her and explains that Toby’s estranged daughter has been kidnapped and he clearly thinks its Toby’s fault. Toby’s new quest will stretch her abilities and familial ties to the breaking point leaving only one real question to be answered. Can Toby survive long enough to save everyone?

I’ve read every installment of the Toby Daye series and I confess, this series is one of my all-time favorites. It’s dark, and gritty, and suspenseful, and has just enough of the fantastical to satisfy a very specific itch. Nothing in the world can replace this series in terms of all around awesomeness. My only bone of contention is that Toby and Tybalt deserve a HEA. Toby has been enough of a hero for the realm that at least one of her relationships should last without strain. Hopefully Toby and Tybalt will get their HEA in the next book.
The October Daye series is one of my favorites. I have eagerly awaited Night and Silence and it was everything I had waited for and more. Night and Silence focuses on the relationship between Toby and her daughter. The emotional connections and character development complemented the action and magical quest. This is a must for urban fantasy fans and will be devoured.
I find myself torn between 3 and 4 stars (ultimately deciding on a 3.5.) Part of me is so happy to be back in the world of October Daye, that I'd likely be just as content if they never left their house.

With that said, I was a little less than thrilled about another daughter-gone-missing storyline. I never really felt the connection to October's daughter and thought we (the readers) and October had closure after the previous time she went missing. This plot grew on me the further into the story I read and I really couldn't put it down.

Parts of Night and Silence really moved series forward and gave us more foreshadowing to October's longterm quest with the Sea Witch. HINTS were dropped, my friends.

Readers can look forward to cameo appearances from October's friends and some great banter with her Squire and Tybalt.

Twists and turns galore throughout the story; some were slightly predictable and some change the series forever. Strap in, the next couple books should be a doozy (in a good way.)

Thanks to Netgalley and Berkley publishing for an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.

No idea how Seanan McGuire does it so often, but she knows how to step up the stakes, over and over and over. And she sure knows how to make her characters suffer for the sake of the story!

If you've not been keeping up (but really, why wouldn't you be following me at this point?), Seanan McGuire is one of my absolute favorite authors. Her worlds are gloriously fleshed out, her characters are deep and nuanced, and her plots are inviting and twisty and chock full of surprises.

In this installment in one of the best series ever, Toby's family is front and center yet again - both the family she has built, and her blood relations - and yet again, those two things are at odds. Also, there are some surprising twists when it comes to villainy, one I wouldn't have expected (at least not yet!)...

But mostly, there's a cast of characters that will draw you in, make you care, and truly cause you to wish to be part of their little ragtag bunch.

Pick this one up if you're up to date in the October Daye series, but if you're not, start with book one - Rosemary and Rue. You've got plenty to binge - go on. :)