Night and Silence

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 25 Sep 2018

"Now in hardcover, the twelfth installment of the Hugo-nominated, New York Times-bestselling Toby Daye urban fantasy series!

Things are not okay.

In the aftermath of Amandine's latest betrayal, October "Toby" Daye's fragile self-made family is on the verge of coming apart at the seams. Jazz can't sleep, Sylvester doesn't want to see her, and worst of all, Tybalt has withdrawn from her entirely, retreating into the Court of Cats as he tries to recover from his abduction. Toby is floundering, unable to help the people she loves most heal. She needs a distraction. She needs a quest.

What she doesn't need is the abduction of her estranged human daughter, Gillian. What she doesn't need is to be accused of kidnapping her own child by her ex-boyfriend and his new wife, who seems to be harboring secrets of her own. There's no question of whether she'll take the case. The only question is whether she's emotionally prepared to survive it.

Two questions remain: Who in Faerie remembered Gillian existed? And what do they stand to gain?

No matter how this ends, Toby's life will never be the same."

Damn right now in hardcover!
*ARC received from NetGalley in return for an honest review*

October Daye is a heroine that keeps getting better with every book. Even with the fact that similar themes from another book are brought back up October has grown enough that everything seems new. I read this not long after losing my mother to cancer. This book spoke to me about a mother's love that I needed during this time. McGuire is a brilliant author creating a masterpiece that I am going to treasure forever. I have so much more praise, but for now, all I can say is please buy this book. You will not be disappointed.
Sir October (Toby) Daye is taking it one day at a time.  Her family is healing from the events of the previous book (The Brightest Fell) where Amandine, her mother, betrayed them - again.  Her fiance, Tybalt, king of the Cait Sidhe, keeps disappearing leaving ruling in the hands of his heir, and Jazz seems to be fading away as she sleeps less and less.  Everyone is on edge since the kidnappings, and recovery seems a long ways away.  So when Toby's ex-husband and his wife barge into her home - the family's refuge - insisting Toby was complicit in the disappearance of Gillian, Toby's estranged daughter, she is only a step away from breaking.

Despite the estrangement, Toby cannot stand the thought of her daughter at the mercy of the Fae since Toby had changed her to entirely human by pulling all of her Fae blood from her veins.  She immediately rounds up her compatriots to go to the crime scene where Gillian was last known to be - her college, Berkeley.

It is a sign of Toby's character how her friends immediately come to her aid when they discover her latest cause, and the lengths to which they will go to assist her.

Another engrossing tale in the world of faerie from McGuire, whose books always enthrall me from beginning to end.
This is the 12th book in the October Daye series, right now there are 13 books on contract for this series.  This book was an amazing addition to this series and I really loved it a lot.  We get to dive into Toby’s past and interact with her “human” family .

Toby’s daughter, Gillian, has been kidnapped and Toby’s ex begs her to help look for Gillian.  The big question is whether Gillian was kidnapped by a normal human criminal or if Faerie was involved.  The answer ends up being startling and intriguing.

Meanwhile, Tybalt is still recovering from his ordeals in the last book and trying to come to terms with his new fears and self-doubts.  I was glad when he re-entered the story; he is one of my favorites.

The story was masterfully crafted and I continue to really love all of these characters.  I loved how things were tied up and am curious to see where the story goes from here.  There is a novella at the end that details what Gillian goes through at the end of the “Night and Silence”; this was well done and provided excellent insight into Gillian’s character.

Overall this book was an amazing addition to what is one of my favorite urban fantasy series.  I love every aspect of this book.  I am curious to hear if this series ends at 13 or if there are more novels planned.
Seanan McGuire's October Daye series just gets better and better.  It was nice to see Toby finally speak up in her own defense - to SEVERAL individuals who richly deserved it - and stop eating her words and stifling her reactions.  It's about time.
Despite each book seeming like it couldn't possibly be topped, Ms. McGuire has done it again.  (Why am I surprised?)  This installment in Toby's adventures exceeded the high bar of the previous titles.  I cannot recommend highly enough.
I don't know how Seanan McGuire continues to write compelling installments of the October Daye series but she does.

Night and Silence is the 12th in an urban fantasy series that is easily one of my top five "must reads".  This is one of those series that I would recommend starting at the bottom and reading your way up. October "Toby" Daye has too much backstory to simply start in the middle, although the author does do a good job of getting you up to speed if you've forgotten what happened in the previous book.

One thing that Seanan McGuire does well is persecuting her MC. Toby's life is not sunshine and roses. Sometimes good, sometimes terrible, there are no quick fixes in Toby's world. McGuire's characters certainly suffer for the greater good, and sometimes for the lesser evil. I love that her characters not only change and grow but suffer setbacks. Unlike authors whose characters develop in leaps and bounds, McGuire's are more two steps forward and one step back.  While there is romance, it takes a backseat to the storyline and character development. I appreciate that it's there, but if I want to read romance, Imma gonna read romance, know what I mean?

While Night and Silence isn't my favorite of the twelve, it certainly is a great continuation of the series. If you love urban fantasy, especially fae urban fantasy, and you haven't read the October Daye series, do yourself a favor and pick it up!
eanan McGuire's Night and Silence is the Twelfth installment in the authors October Daye series. As the story opens, things are not going well for October "Toby" Daye and her adopted family. Owing to her mother's latest actions, Toby's family is cracking: her sister's girlfriend Jazz doesn't sleep, and her beloved Tybalt has withdrawn from her and refuses to reach out for help. In order to keep herself from breaking down, Toby, Danny, and Quentin are tasked at hunting down creatures who are not supposed to exist, or be in this world.

But, nobody could have foreseen what happens next. Her ex-boyfriend Cliff and his new wife Miranda show up on her doorstep with an accusation: daughter Gillian has been kidnapped and they hold Toby responsible. While it's obvious that Toby will investigate, it's utter horse manure that Toby would jeopardize the daughter she has had no contact with since the day she gave Gillian the Changeling's Choice by removing any Fae blood and leaving her 100% human.

The same choice she was given back in 1959. (Oh, there's a novella called Never Shines the Sun that will explain that to you.) The daughter who has no clue what actually happened to Toby, thanks to her father, that caused her to disappear for 14 years. Who in Faerie has the knowledge that Toby has a human daughter? Of all those who knew, they're either supposed to be dead, or were Elf shot and are supposed to be sleeping for 100 years. Knowing that Toby has more enemies than the President of the US, anyone could be involved.

After all, it's not easy going through life being known as the King Breaker, or being the daughter of Amandine who put Toby and her friends through hell in the previous installment. It's also not easy being the so called Hero of the Kingdom in the Mists. Whenever Faerie is involved, secrets tend to be revealed, and villains pop up seemingly from beyond the grave. Toby must find Gillian before time runs out or the cost may be too much for everyone involved. She also has to find a way to get through to Tybalt before she loses him forever.

There are a few things you need to know to better enjoy the story. First, the story takes place soon after the aftermath of what happened to Toby and her crew in Once Broken Faith. You really must read the stories back to back to understand what happened, and why characters like May, Tybalt, Jazz, and yes, even Toby, are struggling to get on with their lives. Especially Tybalt who has basically disappeared from Toby's life.

Second, there is a novella included in the back of this book. It is called a Suffer a Sea-Change. I read Toby's story first and then the novella to see where in the story this novella takes place. If you've read Night and Silence, you know what happens and where the novella intersects with the main book. It's apparent to me that this is another of the author's story arcs. I wouldn't be surprised if the story continues in the next installment called The Unkindest Tide (2019).

I admit that I loathe Cliff and hope that we, as readers, don't ever have to hear about him again. I will never forgive him for shutting the door, literally, in Toby's face without understanding what happened to her, and then not allowing their daughter to discover the truth. For everything that Cliff did to Toby, the worse was allowing Gillian to believe that she had been abandoned by her own mother. Toby does get some satisfaction in putting him in his place. Can't tell you how happy that made me feel.

Then there's Miranda who swooped in like a avenging angel to take Toby's family away from her in her absence. There's so much I'd like to say about Miranda, but I can't because it's a major part of several plot lines. One could legitimately say that Toby's blood family is absolutely screwed up, while her adopted family are the ones who have stood by her through many, many, many episodes of Toby ending up bloody, hurt, and almost dead.
I always start counting down the days until I can read a new Toby book from the second I finished the last one. So, now I've started counting down again. The Toby books are ones that I'm always happy I read, but I'm always sad that I've finished them because that means I can't read them for the first time again.

Toby is trying to put her family back together after her mother, Amandine the Liar, took Jazz and Tybalt, and locked them away until Toby did what she wanted. Neither Tybalt or Jazz are doing all that well. In fact, Tybalt is so not doing well that Toby's not seen him in days, and it's ripping her apart. He's so much part of her life now. And to put the cherry on that terrible sundae, her ex Cliff and his new wife, Miranda, have burst into her house to accuse her of kidnapping her daughter Gillian, who she hasn't seen in 2 years.

Now she has to figure out who has her daughter, why Gillian was taken, who the bad guys are, and why they are acting the way that they are. And she has to still figure out her personal life at the same time.

Tybalt and Toby are one of my favorite couples in urban fantasy these days. I mean, a Shakespeare spouting wet dream who turns into a cat? That's seriously magical if you ask me. I've loved their story arc from the very beginning, and I look forward to seeing it continue. The Luidaeg is as cantankerous, mysterious, and obscure as she ever is, and I hope that she never changes. I think she is one of the best villains who maybe aren't as villainous as they appear out there. Not that she's nice and sweet or anything, she's anything but, but she's not necessarily a villain either. She is, as ever, motivated by things that no one else knows or understands. I love that sea witch.

I can't wait to see what happens in the next book because there have been big changes and there are definitely going to be ripples out from them. And hopefully Toby and Tybalt can finally get married!
Night and Silence by Seanan McGuire, Can't say how much I really like this series. It's well written and engaging with just enough "fairy tales" pulled in to leave you thinking "Hmmm that works". This book pulls you further into the Rabbit Hole with even more backstory to make you not want the book to end!
The newest in the October Day Series from Seanan McGuire doesn't disappoint! As expected from Ms. McGuire, the narrative hits the ground running and doesn't let up until the end. Some people binge watch a TV series, some binge on a well loved snack food. I confess, I binge read the October Day series. As soon as I finished this book, I read it again, then started the series over again.

In this installment, October's daughter Gillian has gone missing (again). At first, I felt like this might be like watching a re-run. But this book seems to be more about the relationships that October has. It's also commentary on the complication relationships that come up with divorce, and the insecurity of parenthood.

Every day (in real life) it seems I see news of another missing child, another family torn apart. October has gone to extremes to try to make sure her daughter is safe. But there is no such thing as safe, especially when faerie is involved. And she has her own personal relationships to deal with as well. Tybalt isn't around and she's having to deal with the ex and his wife.

The usual cast of characters makes their appearance, and this page-turner will no doubt keep readers of this series entertained and (as always) left wanting more.
There comes a time when things must end. It’s one of those inescapable truths and, as humans—keenly aware of our own mortality—we get this.

But carbon life forms don’t hold a monopoly on the concept; eventually, everything hits a point of being past its prime.

Most of us hope to reach a place of some decrepitude before it’s time to stop walking this mortal coil. (Being “old” is sorta the goal, for most humans.) Big-ticket items such as computers, phones, and cars are all designed with an expected obsolescence built in (which typically has more to do with corporations making money than with a sudden lack of functionality or usefulness, but I digress…). When it comes to series, though—whether books, movie franchises, or TV shows—the object is definitely to go out on a high note… before whatever-it-is seems tired and long-in-the-tooth.

And that notion is what kept popping into my mind when reading Night and Silence, the latest in Seanan McGuire’s ever-engrossing (and long-running) October Daye urban fantasy series. “Could it be time..?”

Now, don’t misunderstand; it would be virtually impossible for me to not enjoy this book (and I did—a good deal, actually). But, I find myself increasingly starting to question just how much gas is left in McGuire’s tank for Toby’s story.

If you’ve read my reviews on some of the earlier entries in this series (and you should, if you want to get a handle on her world, here), or are already familiar, then you’ll remember the basics: October Daye, once a changeling (born of half-Fae, half-human blood) splits her time between the regular world (that would be our world) and that belonging solely to the Faeries (which they work their damnedest to make sure humans remain unaware of), acting as a sort of P.I. in both.

The plot, well… there are always similarities from book to book in this series, so I won’t go into Night and Silence’s storyline in any depth; suffice it to say that this time out, someone in Toby’s immediate family goes missing, and it’s up to her (and her delightful little crew of constant companions) to find the missing person and see that the miscreant(s) responsible are duly punished for the heinous acts committed.

One of the biggest constants is that poor Toby never seems to catch a break—in any sense. She’s always being run ragged (the Fae are nothing if not demanding of her time), and you know that law, about whatever can go wrong? Yeah, that.

In a roundabout way, though, that leads me to the notion that this series may be starting to show its age; it isn’t the fact that Toby is overworked, (often) under-appreciated, and exhausted—after all, the constant action, danger, and friction fuel these stories—but rather, the problem is that we’re being told that, here… every few paragraphs. Or, how many times, within the space of a few chapters, does Toby mention Tybalt (her feline-based fiancé) using the “bridal carry” (in his human, not four-pawed form) to get her to safety? Too many. When things begin to feel repetitive, that’s when I start looking for the exit… and Night and Silence, unfortunately, has a lamentable amount of repetitiveness.

(Interestingly, these instances could have been fixed in the editing process—re-wording phrases here, just cutting out unnecessary bits there—and I’m curious as to why they weren’t. Making this a tighter book would have made it a better book.)

Like I said earlier, though, with (nearly all of) our favorite characters taking part, and the author making us work hard to keep up with the twisty familial ties and histories, there’s still much to keep the reader engaged, here.

For how much longer, though, that is the question…

~GlamKitty
This series just gets better and better. In this newest installment, faerie knight October Daye deals with the estrangement of her lover, the kidnap of her daughter (yes, again, but wait--it's actually ok and not totally trite!), and learning some new family history. Although the kidnapping of Gillian, Daye's daughter, was a previous plot point, in this episode the kidnap leads to changes in Daye's world that I never expected and that work remarkably well with the series universe and previous plotlines. We also get introduced to a new character who begins as a threat and becomes...a possible future ally, and we get lots of the Luidaeg, who is one of the best characters in any fantasy world.
Seanan McGuire never fails to amaze me... and to wreak utter havoc with my emotions. Night and Silence is a strong addition to the October Daye series, with new twists and turns and some totally startling revelations and developments. How many series can get to book #12 with no signs of slowing or slumping? The October Daye series has always been excellent, and this new book lives up to all the rest.

Since this is a pre-release review, I'm going to be vague about just about everything. I know I'd hate to discover spoilers before the book even comes out, so I'll be discreet, I promise! If you're reading this review, chances are more than good that you're a Toby fan, and that you're panting (and maybe drooling a bit) to find out what happens next, after that doozy of an ending from book #11, The Brightest Fell.

As the synopsis above makes clear, things are NOT okay at the beginning of this book. Toby and Tybalt are more or less estranged, since Tybalt is suffering serious trauma after his ordeal at the hands of Amandine in book #11. And this just breaks my heart. I love the two of them together, and I love Tybalt as an individual. It hurts to see him suffering, and it hurts to see Toby suffering from his distance and her inability to reach him and help him.

When Gillian is kidnapped and Toby springs into action, it brings her back into contact with both the humans from her past and some nefarious folks from the fae part of her life too. Still, it's great to see Toby on a mission, and to see her allies rallying round to back her up and give her their support.

There are some MAJOR reveals, including the answer to a question that's bugged me almost from the start of the series. But see, I'm being discreet, so I won't even say what the question is, much less the answer.

The hunt for the kidnappers and the outcome are not what anyone would expect. Let's leave it at that. The ending of this book is a game-changer, and I can't wait to see what happens next.

It's startling to me to realize that as of the beginning of this year, I had not yet entered the amazing world of October Daye. What a difference a few months make! I love this series to bits and pieces, and can't recommend it highly enough! Seanan McGuire must be part Fae herself, because she spins the best magical stories. I love everything she writes, and Night and Silence is a treat. Read it! And if you haven't read any October Daye books yet, start with Rosemary and Rue. I dare you to stop after one book!

PS:

As an afterward to Night and Silence is the long short-story Suffer A Sea-Change. I'm not going to tell you who's in it (okay, obviously the Luidaeg, but I'm not saying who else) or what it's about, because anything I might say would be majorly spoilery. Suffice it to say that Suffer A Sea-Change picks up from the end point of Night and Silence, and is a fantastic side note to the main novel -- absolutely not to be missed.
Title: Night and Silence
Series: October Daye Book #12
Stand Alone Title: recommended in order
Author:  Seanan McGuire
Genre:  Urban Fantasy
Blurb: The twelfth installment of the Hugo-nominated, New York Times-bestselling Toby Daye urban fantasy series!

Things are not okay.

Signs of Faerie's involvement are everywhere, and it's going to take all Toby's nerve and all her allies to get her through this web of old secrets, older hatreds, and new deceits. If she can't find Gillian before time runs out, her own child will pay the price. One question remains:

Who in Faerie remembered Gillian existed? And what do they stand to gain? No matter how this ends, Toby's life will never be the same.
Favorite quote(s): “I am – damaged, October, I am hurt in ways I have never been hurt before, that I can barely put name to, much less chart in their healing.  I flinch from my own shadow.  How is that fit behavior for a king?  How is that fit behavior for your love?”
“Your definition of victory will never cease to shock and horrify me.”
Thoughts: This is one of my absolute favorite series – if your new to the author or to October Daye, I definitely recommend reading all the previous books….not just because this one builds off of events in those, but because they are amazing!!  You can’t get a better urban fantasy series than this one.  With that being said, this book broke my heart.  Having followed this series from book one, I know these characters and love them….and after the events in the last book, I knew this one would be hard.  No one comes back from trauma the same.  October felt that and struggles seeing it from Tybalt, and I struggled right along with her.  The changes in Tybalt were heartbreaking.  I loved how Toby’s friends stood by her – even against one of their own who was hurting her without meaning to.  This was not only and adventure but a poignant, emotional journey.  One of the best in the series!
Rating: A+
All is not well in the land of Toby Daye. Toby’s fiance Tybalt has been unable to cope with his imprisonment and has withdrawn from her life. Toby’s fetch May is doing everything she can to keep her lover Jazz sane. Just when Toby thinks life can’t get any worse, her ex-husband contacts her and explains that Toby’s estranged daughter has been kidnapped and he clearly thinks its Toby’s fault. Toby’s new quest will stretch her abilities and familial ties to the breaking point leaving only one real question to be answered. Can Toby survive long enough to save everyone?

I’ve read every installment of the Toby Daye series and I confess, this series is one of my all-time favorites. It’s dark, and gritty, and suspenseful, and has just enough of the fantastical to satisfy a very specific itch. Nothing in the world can replace this series in terms of all around awesomeness. My only bone of contention is that Toby and Tybalt deserve a HEA. Toby has been enough of a hero for the realm that at least one of her relationships should last without strain. Hopefully Toby and Tybalt will get their HEA in the next book.
The October Daye series is one of my favorites. I have eagerly awaited Night and Silence and it was everything I had waited for and more. Night and Silence focuses on the relationship between Toby and her daughter. The emotional connections and character development complemented the action and magical quest. This is a must for urban fantasy fans and will be devoured.
I find myself torn between 3 and 4 stars (ultimately deciding on a 3.5.) Part of me is so happy to be back in the world of October Daye, that I'd likely be just as content if they never left their house.

With that said, I was a little less than thrilled about another daughter-gone-missing storyline. I never really felt the connection to October's daughter and thought we (the readers) and October had closure after the previous time she went missing. This plot grew on me the further into the story I read and I really couldn't put it down.

Parts of Night and Silence really moved series forward and gave us more foreshadowing to October's longterm quest with the Sea Witch. HINTS were dropped, my friends.

Readers can look forward to cameo appearances from October's friends and some great banter with her Squire and Tybalt.

Twists and turns galore throughout the story; some were slightly predictable and some change the series forever. Strap in, the next couple books should be a doozy (in a good way.)

Thanks to Netgalley and Berkley publishing for an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.

No idea how Seanan McGuire does it so often, but she knows how to step up the stakes, over and over and over. And she sure knows how to make her characters suffer for the sake of the story!

If you've not been keeping up (but really, why wouldn't you be following me at this point?), Seanan McGuire is one of my absolute favorite authors. Her worlds are gloriously fleshed out, her characters are deep and nuanced, and her plots are inviting and twisty and chock full of surprises.

In this installment in one of the best series ever, Toby's family is front and center yet again - both the family she has built, and her blood relations - and yet again, those two things are at odds. Also, there are some surprising twists when it comes to villainy, one I wouldn't have expected (at least not yet!)...

But mostly, there's a cast of characters that will draw you in, make you care, and truly cause you to wish to be part of their little ragtag bunch.

Pick this one up if you're up to date in the October Daye series, but if you're not, start with book one - Rosemary and Rue. You've got plenty to binge - go on. :)
Night and Silence
By Seanan McGuire
DAW (4 Sep 2018)
October Daye series

Settings / Time Periods: Present day San Francisco area, mostly.
Point of View: 1st person
Main character: October “Toby” Daye, a changeling Hero Knight who is frequently in way over her head.

What genres could this book be categorized in? Officially, it’s urban fantasy. It is a bit of a fairy tale, and also an adventure, and a mystery, and a love story. And probably a few other things, as well.

Plot: October Day’s ragtag family still hasn’t healed from Amandine’s betrayal, and now her estranged human daughter is missing… again. Gillian’s human family accuses Toby of being the kidnapper, though one of them may be hiding deep secrets of their own. Can Toby save Gillian in time? Who remembers Gillian? And what old foe is hiding in the shadows setting traps?

Comments: I really love the Toby books, and am always waiting impatiently for the next one. The latest adventure does not disappoint, in that I laughed a lot, I cried more than once, and I got mad enough to yell and scare the cats. I’m not sure what I can say without spoiling something because it’s Toby and everything is connected to everything. There are several old acquaintances reappearing, for good and for ill, a new Tybalt along for the ride, and you get to see May Really Angry. It’s SOOOO good! I can’t recommend it enough. And the short story at the end is a whirlwind of its own.

Is there violence? Yes. It’s Toby. There is punching and stabbing and gnashing of really big sharp, pointy teeth. Toby bleeds a lot. Some other folks bleed, too.

Is there romance? There’s a couple of significant mostly-hetero relationships shown, including one that’s learning to heal and one that’s having some serious issues. There are also several less-central non-hetero relationships.

How to the characters view sexuality? Sex is referred to as a normal, natural part of life. There is no sexuality on-page above G rating, although there are occasional reference to other activities.

How does it rate on the tests?
Bechdel? With flying colors.
Mako Mori? With flying colors.
Ellen Willis? With flying colors.
Tauriel? With flying colors.
Racial Bechdel? Yes.
Deggans? Yes.
Vito Russo? Yes.

Did you enjoy reading it? Yes. I always love the Toby books, and this is another whirlwind roller-coaster that leaves you both exhausted and wanting more Right Now.
I received an ARC through Netgalley of Seanan McGuire’s newest book, Night and Silence, coming out on September 4th, 2018.

Night and Silence is book 12 in the October Daye series. With the way The Brightest Fell ended, I was eager to see how this book would start…

In the last book, Amandine has Toby searching for August, Toby’s long-lost sister; in this book, Gillian, Toby’s daughter is the one that goes missing. Her allies are struggling with their own trauma and the consequences from her actions in the last book make it hard for Toby to gather enough resources to get all the help she needs.

It starts on a more melancholy note and being that the last book ended with trauma on all sides, this isn’t a surprise. Conversations are had while she rescues the wildlife that is still cropping up from Chelsea’s jaunts into the locked realms and Toby being Toby… is trying to retreat and at the same time, hold on to all she loves.

Scars run deep on all sides of the family for this and Seanan writes a beautiful understanding of how things aren’t magically fixed, but it takes time to heal. Not just the main characters being hurt, but also the fallout for the ones that surround them. Tybalt is damaged and struggling and his Court is feeling the effects of it, too.

This book was a ride and there are a number of questions that were answered that have been hanging around since the early books in the series! There was a moment I had to stop reading because I was so thrilled at what shoe had dropped and it’s a doozy.  We’re going to have a whole new source of information now, if people are willing to trust the character to ask.

You get some more understanding of the deeper parts of the story and parts that have been simmering in the background. There is a lot revealed, but at the same time, there are ever so many more questions that make you that much eager for what is coming next.

As before, my favorite “is this a giant red herring or is Seanan sitting on this?” theory hasn’t popped up yet, but I have a feeling we got another hint and it’s glorious.

The selkies have popped up again and the question of “when” was asked and it’s ever so close now. There are so many issues that are going to set the world on fire and I am eager for it. I have a soft spot for the selkies, especially with all the short stories we’ve gotten of them that have explained more and gave more of that rocky background and the rockiness continues.

I foresee a lot of tough choices in the future for a number of characters and some of those choices and concessions have already popped up at the end of the book. It’s going to be a long, hard road, but nothing Toby ever did was easy.

The short story goes well in hand with the rest of the book and it’s amazing. I don’t want to spoil any bit of it at all, but it raises so many questions, gives so much away and you’re left with your mouth open at what could be.

All in all, an absolutely fantastic book, with a lot of hints of this and that; with Seanan’s impeccable knowledge of fairy tales and folklore, of locations and connecting everything from all her books to a seamless whole.