Clutch

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

Clutch features numerous types of handbags that the designer Caroline Johnson creates. It is the name of her designer handbag company, she started after graduating Harvard MBA program. During her graduate program, she meets Mike Barnsworth or as his family calls him Michael Fredrick Barnsworth the Third, whose family owns the largest brokerage firm in New York--Barnsworth Brokerage Firm. Mike doesn't want to follow in his father or grandfather's footsteps instead Mike wants to own a bar--just like in the move Cocktail that he used to watch with his favorite nanny.

Each chapter is a different type of handbag--backpack, messenger, doctor bag, diaper bag, briefcase, wallet, cosmetic bag, and clutch. Each type of bag represents the various men that Caroline is dating. Through all the types of bags, men, and business meetings, Caroline and Mike maintain their friendship. Caroline goes to Mike's bar on a regular basis even bringing her dates to the bar for Mike's opinion of the men. While Mike is a love 'em and leave 'em mode especially with the women in his bar. Caroline doesn't understand why one of the waitresses that Mike has "dated" refuses to be friendly with her until the head bartender informs Caroline that the waitress thinks that Mike is in love with Caroline that why none of the women have a chance with him. Will Caroline see how Mike really feels?
This was cute book.  Entirely predictable and could have been so much more but an overall cute easy read.
A completely predictable, utterly enjoyable romantic comedy -- that is how I would like to describe this novel. Starting from Caroline's days at Harvard, it follows the friendship and witty banter she shares with Mike. Mike is a playboy who leaves behind a string of broken hearts everywhere while Caroline is in search of the Mr. Right or the 'Clutch'. Clutch is the name of her business venture, something she has built because she held onto her passion. Now she needs a man whom she can hold onto.
         There follows a series of dating adventures with the chapter titles giving a rough notion about the suitors. The only downside is, we know it will all end badly, that is until we reach the chapter 'Clutch'. So a small advise: better not read this in one sitting, it tends to be a bit boring then.
        More than Caroline, I liked the character of Mike. He has an insight that Caroline totally lacks. We can't but wonder how she became a successful businesswoman. Still, it was total fun reading about her dating blunders :)
What a fun read!  I'm a purse girl all the way - Marc Jacobs, Vera, Kate Spade, just to name a few! Although I am not able to buy as many as I would like being a single mom of three.  Someday...I will buy a purse a week versus a purse a season!

OK, enough about me...on to Ms. Caroline Johnson.

As the story begins, she meets this awesome, yet very sarcastic guy, Mike, during her time at Harvard Business School, yes I said HARVARD!  He showed up with a coffee, gave it to her and they have been besties ever since! (There was that one time that they slept together, and you will hear about it maybe once or 15 times!)

Catherine has used her love of purses and her Harvard Business degree to start her own business and is doing quite well for herself!  She is in several major department stores and has more talks set-up with future sellers frequently.  Mike chose not to follow in his families financial footsteps and instead put his business degree to use in setting up his own bar known as The Last Drop.  (Based on his love for Risky Business).

When school is over and graduation has commenced Mike asks his best friend in this world, Caroline, to move to LA - not with him but join him there.  She thinks for all of 2 seconds and the plans are set!

LA has been a great move for both of them, although their dating lives could say otherwise.  Mike has slept with each of his waitresses or so it seems and poor Caroline is truly finding someone to be happy with and she is hitting one dead end after another!

I do not want to give away too many details but I ill state their names and fun nicknames she has associated them with!

Jason Nash - AKA Hobo  (starving artist)

Craig - AKA Demi-Bag (shortie/boring)

Tyler - AKA Messenger (religious fanatic)

Sam Stanhope - AKA Doctor Bag (no one could think more highly of themselves then this man)

Damien - AKA Diaper Bag (single dad) **one of my faves

Dunham - AKA Briefcase (all about the connections)

Marcus - AKA Wallet (big spender)

???       - AKA Clutch (who will this be?)

As you can see Caroline has had a pretty interesting pool of dating candidates and I am going to leave you guessing who she ends up with in the end, or maybe she will continue her dating saga, we shall see!

Grab a bottle of Caroline's favorite wine, Chardonnay, and sit back and enjoy this fun dating tale!
Clutch was such a light, sweet, funny read. I loved the characters and the way the book was written. The thing adored the most was the chapter names correlated with the various dates the man character Caroline went on. Which I thought was a cute and sweet touch.

"...you find something you love and you just hold onto.”

Our main character Caroline is a purse addict and handbag designer. She is on the lookout for Mr. Right. Unfortunately, like most people, she is only finding losers and people that she doesn't connect with. The other character Mike is on the journey with her. He owns a bar and keeps her stocked with lots of wine for her miss adventures.

He was a character that I absolutely adored in this story. He was a fantastic friend. He was a great person all around and I really enjoyed his dialog in the book.

“Lord, give me coffee to change the things I can,” she lifted her glass, “and a tall glass of Chardonnay to accept the things I can’t. That’s about the only gospel I can get behind.”

The book had some faults though. I found it a tad bit predictable at times. Also, it was often repetitive in parts. Also quotes like the one below made me roll my eyes at times.

“It was a revelation. How had she not seen it before?”

Overall this was a cute chick lit story. It's your average love story full of hilarious anecdotes.
I loved reading this book! This is the type of genre that I enjoy reading, found it easy to read too!