Single and Looking: Daisy

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 04 Jul 2018

I'd like to start this off by saying a free copy of this book was graciously provided to me by Netgalley in exchange for my honest review.

It sort of read like a "naughty" children's book most of the time, what with a talking chainsmoking cat who quotes Shakespeare, an alcoholic leading lady and slew of other oddball things.  I think this idea would have made for a pretty awesome Adult Swim show, but in print, I do get where the author was trying to go with the whole "irreverent humor, I'm so quirky lolz" thing, but it fell a bit short to me.

There were some parts of the book I am honestly surprised people don't take issue with, for example the authors use of derogatory racial stereotypes for 2 of her dates, or the fact that open violence against women was sort of normalized by her creepy stalker neighbor. Daisy herself is a bit of a functional alcoholic and there are some really strange, albeit mildly entertaining events caused by it. A lot of glossed very serious issues glossed over in a "lolz" kind of way,  but to each their own, I guess. It was definitely all over the place.

Toward the end, it did get a little more entertaining so I would say check it out if you are wanting a quick, nonsensical read to break up the day. It may also be great for someone who likes a more quirky, lighthearted fantasy type of story. Apparently a lot more people liked it than disliked it, who knew?
Ha! Laugh out loud funny!  I wasn't sure I'd like this one, but took a chance! Romantic comedy- best I've read in ages!
I found myself giggling quite a bit. It was a book that just made you relate to the characters. I would highly recommend it. I definitely will red it again and again.
Sehrsehr lustige Lektüre! Gleich zu Anfang zwei Katzenfotos der Autorin, da weiß man schon wo es langgeht. Aufgelockert mit Zeichnungen zum Ende der Kapitel. Sehr süß und mal eine willkommene Abwechslung.
Nicht zu vergessen die sympathischen Charaktere und die Katze!
Zusammen ein höchst vergnüglicher Mix.
this is a good summer read! It makes me laugh a lot. Daisy and Shakespeare the cat  are funny and lovely characters.
I had high hopes for this book, it sounded like it would be right up my street. However, when I discovered the main character spoke to her cat  who had a real character too and this theme would be ongoing, I lost interest.
I couldn't take this concept serious and abandoned the book after just a few pages.
This was a real shame as the write up indicated a much better storyline, maybe it Improved...I couldn't bring myself to go through the weirdness to find out.
Thanks to Netgalley for my copy.

This is a fun light hearted perfect for the beach book. The exploits of nearly on the cusp of Daisy 40 and her cat Shakespeare are delightful and guaranteed to make you laugh. Great cover art also.
The cat swayed slightly on his paws. “I had a pint me dear. I imbibe now and then because you cut off me love buds.”

Daisy is approaching her 40th birthday, and of course there is nothing her sisters (the Estrogen Squad as Shakespeare the kitty calls them) want more for her than to be married off. Daisy’s adopted cat Shakespeare is another story, when he isn’t imbibing or making money with his business he is helping her land a man. Sober Shakespeare is less easy to manage, telling her how to dress (certainly not ho-ishly), quoting William Shakespear when the situation takes his fancy. It’s time, he tells her, to let her sisters take the reins and help her find a man!

Daisy keeps a list, one not too demanding. Is it asking too much of the universe to send her man who isn’t, say, a peeping tom? It’s not like she is asking for outrageous qualities! Just a solid, sane man! Her sister’s all take a shot at it, beginning with the youngest, 21-year-old Doll. Joey… Joey Cuervo is the first. Will he be as deliciously smooth as Tequilla? What about Dove’s man, chosen for her big sister, one Harvey Wallbanger?

Men aside, the fun is all with Shakespeare’s antics. With his ‘catty’ comments and spot on advice “You look like a witch with a wart on your chin!”, it’s a novel spent in feline head space. Trust a talking cat to tell it like it is when no other will! This whip-smart cat even helps her remove her dreaded first gray hair with his sharp little claws, earning any and all kitty treats. Who wouldn’t love this sassy fuzzball, be he a drunkard or not? You gotta be cruel to be kind!

I needed this book right now in my life, it’s been a tough year full of illness and the loss of a beloved aunt, whom might I add was a cat lover.  Books find us, I promise you that. I was a giggling nuisance in bed while reading Austin’s story. Sometimes we just need something fun and wacky to escape from the drudgery of life.  “Hell is empty and all the devils are here.”  I’m sure kitty Shakespeare would growl that in my ear right now. This really is a fun, silly book. Maybe some of the men she’d have been better off just downing their namesake and skipping a date altogether!

Will Daisy find love, will she survive her sisters' disastrous choices? Will Shakespeare ever get over losing his love buds (no, no he will not)? A fun, light summer read!

Publication Date: August 24, 2018

BooksGoSocial
Single and Looking Daisy: A Funny Laugh Out Loud Feel Good Summer Read
Secret Lives of Sisters, Book 1

I Picked Up This Book Because: Author’s description in my Netgalley Goodreads group

The Characters:

Daisy:
Shakespeare the cat:
David

The Story:

For me this did not live up to the hype of the title. I could see where the author was trying to be funny but it just wasn’t my kind of humor. It struck me as Broad City humor which I just don’t like.

I found Daisy to mostly be a hot mess. Her easy acceptance of her cat talking to her leads me to believe she is mentally unstable and I drew the line at the stalker like behavior of neighbor David. Daisy should run far far away from Mr. “I just want to watch you eat” and “sip slower” #HeebieJeebies

The Random Thoughts:

*DNF so no rating
This book was hilarious from start to finish!! It had me laughing and giggling out loud all throughout this book and that doesn't happen very often. First and foremost, the talking cat kind of threw me off a bit but, in the end, Shakespeare was my favorite character.  The mouth on him; I wish I could say half the things he says and get away with it. Now Daisy, I went from feeling sorry for her, laughing at her failed endeavor's and relating to her lackluster love life. She was a trooper throughout this book, because after the second setup, I would've thrown in the towel and prepared for a life of singlehood. All in all, this was a really good book! Read it for a good laugh and an enjoyable happily ever after.
OMG this book is soooooo funny. I laugh out loud several times while reading this book. I loved it. Daisy just turned 39 and everyone is trying to set her up on blind date. Her cat is talking to her and she thinks she is going crazy!
What a funny book Single and Looking: Daisy is! There’s a woman on the cusp of forty unmarried with no prospects, her meddling sisters and mother and a British accented talking cat (who can also read, write, use the computer and phone, not to mention a smoker and drinker, too!).
Daisy decides to take her sisters’ offers of blind dates to try to fins The One for her. The dates are a series of humorous (for the reader) disasters. Poor Daisy feels doomed to a life with only her crazy cat as her companion unless something happens to change it.
I loved the humor in this book; if you enjoy chick lit with a lot of humor - be sure to pick this book up!
Entertaining read, following Daisy as she goeson a series of blind dates set up by her family.
Shakespear the talking cat was probably the best character, with no filter on what he said at all.
This book was so crazy and funny. It is different then anything I have read. There were so many times in  this book that I was having trouble catching my breath from laughing so much. The main character Daisy is so funny and the family is crazy. Will she ever find her prince charming? Thank you NetGalley for allowing me to write about this book.
I love Daisy and her cat Shakespeare! This is book is laugh out loud funny, and I couldn't  stop reading it. Daisy just turned 39 and is single. Her sisters, mother, and aunt all set her up on blind dates, each one worse than the next. When her cat starts speaking to her in English, she really thinks she's gone over the deep end, trying to figure out if something is wrong with her. This book is thoroughly enjoyable, with great characters and a refreshingly enjoyable story.
If you fantasize about what your cat is thinking when you talk to him about your day, or wonder if your GPS is secretly out to get you, you'll enjoy this fun, lighthearted story. Daisy, who is in her 30s and single (the horror!), agrees to a string of dates set up by her sisters and mother. And then her cat starts to talk to her... in a British accent.

This is a super quick read that is silly and fun. If you're looking for something deep and intellectual, move on. If you want something a bit ridiculous to read while having a margarita or two, this isn't a bad choice.
I didn't finish this book,I didn't find it funny at all,not would I recommend it.I won't be reading any more of this author,I thought the cover was cute but the storyline was flat.
Who said the cat’s advice wasn’t any good?

Poor 40 year old Daisy lives at home with her cats. She’s still in college and trying to not to pay off the student that is still rising. Her non supportive family thinks she about as big a loser as someone can be and oh yeah, her cat can talk to her. Not only can the cat talk to her, it also smokes, drink and swear like a sailor.
 Now if you think that Daisy’s life couldn’t get any worse, oh you are so wrong her mum and sister then decide to set her up on a series of blind dates. What could go wrong?

Daisy will make you cry with laughter and you won’t be able to help but falling in love with this wacky woman and her talking cat.
This book was so funny, that I had to stop reading it in front of my family as they kept giving me funny looks and probably thought that I was going mad, because I couldn’t stop laughing and giggling.

It was a great change from the books that I have been reading recently. I just wanted to keep reading to find out how Daisy’s next date would turn out and whether she will find her ideal man.

Don’t want to give the ending away so you’ll just have to read the book to find out what happens.

I haven’t read any books by Belinda Austin before so I have nothing to compare her writing in this book with, but I thought this book is was well written and easy to read.

Would like to thank NetGalley for my digital review copy, in return for unbiased review.