Little Tails Under the Sea

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 31 Jul 2018

This is a beautiful graphic display of the animals beneath the sea.

Lion Forge and Net Galley let me read this book for review (thank you).  It has been published so you can grab a copy now.

The puppy and squirrel take a submarine in exploration beneath the sea and see all kinds of wonders.  I learned about some new animals reading this and I bet you will, too.  The graphics are lovely.

Check it out, I bet you end up buying a copy.  This is a lovely series.
This is an interesting mix of comic strip and illustration, just as it's a bit of a mix between an adventure story and a story about things that live in the sea. The concept is good, but I'm not 100% sure that the execution and the translation worked in favour of the book overall. Some parts seemed to get into the science a bit, which would be great for a teachable moment if you're reading it to your kids. But I found that they only touched on the items and the end part of the book which reaps each creature missed or skipped over a few too many.

The best part of this book was the lesson learned when they got to Mrs. Turtle. I certainly wasn't expecting that.
One thing that I didn't know before reading this is that it's part of a series - which is likely an overlooking on my part. However, if you haven't read any of the other books (like me), then don't fret because you don't get lost at all.

Having said that.. I love this book! It's pretty much half artwork, half story - and you can get just as lost in the artwork as you can in the story because it is just beautiful. The story itself is in comic book fashion, and not in color. As a teacher, I adore that it's not only a story but a [less-than-subtle] science lesson as well. Not only that, it's simple enough for a younger elementary child to read on his/her own and understand well. I'd not only recommend this as something that everyone should read, but something they should own. I'll be picking up the rest of the series myself.
'Little Tails: Under the Sea' by Frederic Brremaud and Federico Bertolucci is the latest version of this graphic novel series that introduces young readers to the animals of our world.

This time around Chipper and Squizzo get an emergency message from a sea turtle and set out to help.  They have a little submarine to use, which is useful because their journeys take them underwater.  They meet whales and squids and polar bears among others.  The turtle teaches the reader about man's part in protecting the animals on our planet.

Along with the comic strip story of Chipper and Squizzer are full color illustrations of animals, just like in previous versions.  The ecology lesson is less than subtle, but poignant and thought-provoking.

I received a review copy of this graphic novel from Lion Forge, Diamond Book Distributors, and NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you for allowing me to review this graphic novel.
The book, Little Tails Under the Sea, is told in comic strip format, which I was not expecting. The pictures are fairly life-like but then there are comic strips with text bubbles on each page. It creates an odd look of mixing a newspaper with a science book.

The story is simple - an adventure under the sea with the different sea creatures they come across. There is some information about each creature, which is informative but it's unclear the target audience for this book. I could see a 6-7 year old interested in oceanography wanting to learn more about the animals, especially the pages at the end that go into detail about some of the sea creatures. However, the book seems to be aimed at a younger audience.
This was really lovely and educated story for little kids. I read with my little brother and he loved it too.
I really loved this story! The story itself was cute but the little extra pieces happening in the background were so fun and hilarious, it had my kids and I cackling! I LOVED the illustrations! The mixture of cutesy characters and the BEAUTIFUL sea life was just wonderful!
“Little Tails Under the Sea” was a little too nonfiction-y for me. I didn’t understand why they were under the sea or where they were going. (I must have missed something?) I did like the bright colors and the way that the author introduced new animals, though.
A big thank you to NetGalley and Diamond Book/Lion Forge for the ARC.  I am voluntarily reviewing this book.  This is a children's fiction book.  It is 1/2 comic and 1/2 art.   The artwork is beautiful.  The comic strip portion is a little small and not in color (sort of boring).  I found it difficult to tell what the characters even are.  Is Chipper a dog?  What is the other character a squirrel? a cat?  I couldn't tell.  The story itself is quite cute.  They are on an adventure to save a turtle.  On the way they meet all kinds of new sea creatures.  There is even an ecofriendly reminder don't throw plastic and trash into the ocean!!  Overall I give this a 3.5.  Did I mention that the art is absolutely gorgeous???   I think most kids would enjoy this book.
I received a free ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

The pictures in this book were beautiful and colorful . I enjoyed looking at them. I'm not sure how I feel about the comic book like strip inside of the pictures, but otherwise I love it.
What a fun, educational story. Love the graphics and subject matter, and can't wait to read it with my grandkids!
I have so much fun with the cat and the dog from Little Tales.  This time they are deep diving to help out a stranded turtle.  On their voyage they will meet some interesting animals, including a giant sea panda.  I love this series for its mix of graphic novel and picture book.  This format allows the book to be both story like, but fun and snappy.
In this sixth book of the LITTLE TAILS series, Chipper and Squizzo ... puppy and squirrel pals who love to adventure ... go under the sea. They encounter an array of creatures in a unique hybrid of comic strip and colorful illustrations. They learn about ocean life and the environment in a fun, engaging story. Highly recommended!

Thanks to the author, publisher and NetGalley for the review copy.

#LittleTailsUnderTheSea #NetGalley
Another successful entry in the Little Tails series. Chipper and Squizzo find a bottle in a tide pool that contains a note. A turtle is stranded on an island and they want to help. They hop into their submarine looking for the island and explore the underwater world along the way. They see many creatures, some common, others unusual.  They eventually find the island and the turtle that is caught in a net and cannot swim. After cutting the net loose, the turtle swims off happily.

I love the way these books are set up. The main characters appear at the top of each page in a black and white comic strip of a few panels discussing where they are, what they see, and something about the animal. The pictures of the animals are full of colour and drawn more true to life. What a great technique! At the back of the book the author provides more detailed information about the animals they encountered during their trip. I am looking forward to seeing what other adventures they will have in subsequent books. I think the way this is presented will peak the interest of young readers. It can be used to introduce the topic of sea life, as well as conservation of animals and how we can help. A great book for school and class libraries. I believe these books will appeal to reluctant readers, especially boys.
Other than the fact they’re in a sub instead of a plane, the format holds as the two little guys explore the world they find themselves in. The last one with the dinosaurs got a bit silly, so it’s good to see them back to something more realistic. . . if I can actually say that about talking animals.
As expected, they jaunt underwater, mostly staying away from other animals while describing them, giving the educational content this series always provides. And as always there’s some friendly critter that helps them out of the mess they made, though in this situation I would not have expected a polar bear.
I can just imagine the orca’s rage to be described as a big sea panda.
At the end there’s more info about each animal.
This was at least as good as the dinosaur one, though I liked the previous ones better. Nothing wrong with this one, though.
3.5 pushed up to 4/5
This book features absolutely BEAUTIFUL pictures of the ocean and sealife, overlaid by cute comic-book style panels that feature the two intrepid adventurers on their journey to save a stranded sea turtle. The only text is the dialogue between the main characters, so this reads rather like a comic book. It would make a wonderful bedtime story if the reader did different voices for each of the two characters. The end also has some short non-fiction blurbs about some of the creatures the main characters encounter on their adventure, as well as a short blurb about pollution and the different between pollution and things we throw away that are biodegradable (like an apple). This book would be a gorgeous addition to any child's bookshelf (or to my grown-up bookshelf, too!)
This little book is a mini-encyclopedia on sea life and some of its creatures, teaching kids all about the different types of coral reefs and their many various inhabitants. Its a colorful imaginative way for your kids to learn about basic geography and biology. It also teaches them a bit about the meaning of biodegradable and what happens when a fruit like an apple is thrown into the ocean. An educative and interesting look at the undersea world.
A very cute story with a variety of illustration styles.  Chipper and Squizzo head on an undersea adventure after finding a bottle which washed ashore.  The adventure is fun for younger children in addition to being insightful.  Your younger children, students will love hearing about the adventure, seeing the variety of images, and they will learn a bit also.  Highly recommended for younger elementary age students and of course to read to your own children at home.
What a wonderful wee story to read to the little ones. Friends Chipper and Squizzo find a message in a bottle, washed up on a beach, and set off on an undersea journey to help a faraway turtle, encountering all sorts of aquatic life along the way. There's a real sense of fun throughout, even as the author threads in learning for the little ones about sea creatures and even environmental issues. None of this is done in a ham-fisted way - it's smoothly integrated into the fun story, which is great.

There's an interesting and distinctive style to the illustrations, kind of a combination of comic strip with a background/extension of full colour pages bringing the undersea world to life. Although this isn't a rhyming book, there's a 'light and fun' sense to the text too, with plenty of sounds and surprises and fun whether you read it aloud or on the page. Overall, a great wee tale.
Good read with kids. Colorful illistrations! Interesting voyage by the two characters and descriptions easy to understand. Fun read. Liked the way it was written using comic strip form over colorful pictures. Would recommend!