Cover Image: Deep Water

Deep Water

I so wanted to love this book, and there were bits about it I really enjoyed, but other bits just stopped it being  five star read for me.

I thought Bryony was a great character, strong and determined, and the whole concept of cracking the sex slave ring and then being at risk from the crime boss was great. I loved the parts of the book set in cornwall, and the set up with her mother.

The second half of the book was where it started to go wrong. There were just too many unlikely happenings, the revelation at the very end being the final straw. That was a step too far, and it felt wholly unnecessary, to be honest. It just stretched my credulity beyond its limits.

I would definitely pick up this author again, as I liked many aspects of her writing style, but this book just fell a little short of delivering on its promise.
I thought this book started off a bit slow but a few chapters in and I was completely hooked. The story line was great with brilliant characters, it swept me away and I couldn't wait to found out how it would end!
Looking out for more books by Amanda James.
Thank you netgalley.
Thanks to netgalley for the ARC of a very talented author.  I haven't read much of ms James's books, but I really enjoyed this one, and can't wait to get my hands on the next one!
Recommended.
I really enjoyed this story - it was dark, gritty and gripping!

This was quite a slow starter but the pace soon ramped up and I loved the ending - the story unravels really well and I was left guessing more than once. The setting for the book is great and it really adds to the atmosphere.

The characters were excellent and I really enjoyed their interaction as the story developed. I love the authors writing style and this flowed very well and it does leave you with food for thought about what you would do in the same situation and who can you ever really trust in your family and friends...

Four stars from me, highly recommended and it is another fantastic book from this author!
I really enjoyed this book. I picked it based on the cover alone, did not know anything bout the authors previous work. This book was fast paced and had great development of characters. Thank you to netgalley for this advanced readers copy!
This was a really good book.  I enjoyed the various relationships between the characters.  This one starts with lots of anxiety and confusion.  But things begin to pick up and there is drama, excitement, tension,  And just when you think you know who the bad guys are, you discover things aren't as they appear.

The shocking revelation at the end of the book is one that will have you gasping in shock!  Lots of excitement, intrigue, developing relationships, conflicts in relationships.  You name it, it's pretty much going to be happening from page one until the end of the book.

The one thing I didn't care for was the over the top sexual relationship information at one point in time.  It kind of faded away after the one instance, but it didn't really add to the story line, so it could have been left out completely.

I would definitely recommend this if you like books with mystery and intrigue.  Thanks to NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for my honest review.
Thankyou to NetGalley, Bloodhound Books and Amanda James for the opportunity to read a copy of Rip Current in exchange for an honest and unbiased review.
I found the storyline to be well thought out and fast paced. The central characters were well developed and engaging. I loved the descriptive nature of the setting. It certainly kept me on the edge of my seat.
Definitely well worth a read for fans of the genre.
What can I say about this book. I really enjoyed the story. It was a good read. I kept turning the pages to see what else was going to happen. I would definitely recommend this book.
With thanks to Netgalleyand the publishers for the book in exchange for an honest review.
This was a police story about Bryony who seeks to jail Ransom , the villain once and for all. Her childhood friend who is Ransom’s daughter meets up with her again and helps her to arrest him. The story moves on from there and goes from Sheffield, to Cornwall,later to France and the Highlands. It is an interesting read.
Recommended.
A great read strong characters at the heart of the story and it tells of love, betrayals and friendship which together make it a very enjoyable novel and should appeal to most readers particularly like that it's set in Cornwall and can visualize it  perfectly a good book
I would like to thank netgalley and Bloodhound Books for this partnership.

I was immediately attracted by the cover, we see Bryony watching the sea.

There is Bryony who is on the back of Kenny Ramson accused of being in prostitution and trafficking. Having tired of working in the police Bryony will recharge at Cornwell and she will save a man's life. She will ask questions about this man.

A book read almost in a row I loved the captivating and captivating story with endearing characters.
I found this book to be a bit slow at first but it quickly gathered momentum. This is an exciting read and well written by Amanda James. It just failed to live up to the blurb for me but I would recommend it as a good holiday read. Thanks to Net Galley for my copy. Reviews on Amazon, Goodreads and Facebook.
This dark and gritty crime novel was amazingly well written.  This is the first book that I have read by this author, but I am definitely going to be seeking out more of her work in the future!
I was immediately pulled in to the drama of Anya’s situation at the start of this book. Things then started to jump around a bit, as we were introduced to various characters. I enjoyed this book, which was a very quick read and a great way to pass time on a long road trip! My one complaint would be that it did tend to jump forward in time with no notice. The entirety of the story takes place over at least three years with several big time jumps. I cared about the characters and wanted to find out what happened to them.
DI Masters is hot on the heels of Mr. Ransom, a pimp and her friend's dad. This story starts very dark and I wanted to put it away but glad I persisted. The book lightens up later even when Nathan comes to kill DI Masters. The book is full of twists and turns, just when you think the matters are resolved, there's something more that happens. So it keeps you reading. The book does take you to Scotland, Cornwall and France. When I finished reading I put Cornwall on my list of places to see.
My only issue with the book is the tense. While the book started great, the tense in the middle of the book changes and is hard to read. At times its present participle, then suddenly its past perfect. Despite it, its a wonderful "beach read." And the cover is gorgeous. I picked this book entirely for the cover when I applied on Netgalley!
DI Bryony Masters is only 28 years old.  Through hard work and determination, she has risen through the ranks but it has meant there really is nothing much else in her life.  There is never the time.

Her best friend Immi leaves her a friend request on Facebook which she readily accepts.  They haven't seen each other for a long time and at one point were neighbours whilst they were growing up.  Bryony started her thriving career and her mother moved from Sheffield to Cornwall once her father had died.

There is one person who Bryony has chased and tried to convict a number of times.  Immi's father Kenny Ransom.  He has a fearsome reputation and when it is discovered, thanks to Immi's input that he is running a brothel, the need to catch him is even more important.  He also appears to be apprehending east European girls who are coerced into this life through threats to their families.  This is the last straw.

Nathan, one of Kenny's side-kicks wants out.  He has only stayed with him to ensure the house they live in, is safe.  What he does for a living sickens him and the fact that his own father worked for the man is not enough to make him stay.  How to leave this set up safely for him and his family is another problem.

FinallyKenny is convicted at trial but Immi knows that this won't be the end of it.  He still has paid heavies who will exact revenge on his behalf.  If he ever discovers that she gave evidence to the police, life will be over.  Meanwhile, Bryony has misgivings of her own about her job.  She no longer wants to work in such a murky world and decides to leave and become a counsellor (or something like that).  In an unprecedented move, she leaves and goes to Cornwall to stay with her mother and aunt. Little does she know that Nathan's has been sent to find her by Kenny.

This story encompasses thrilling chases, mind games, and even some romance.  An all-rounder that I thoroughly enjoyed.

I chose to read this book and all opinions in this review are all my own and completely unbiased.  My thanks to NetGalley for this opportunity.
I have read and enjoyed Amanda James previous books, RIP current as a darker twist to it, which the author pulled off extremely well.

With the individual characters that leapt from the page, and the gorgeous setting in Cornwall this made for an enticing read.
Bryony and Immy had such a great friendship and it was interesting to explore how it would develop through the pages.

Amanda James has delivered an array of relatable characters in this page turning read, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
4.5 star rating from me.
4☆ A Pacy Thriller

Rip Current is a fabulous crime thriller.

When Imogen approaches childhood friend Bryony for help. It's Bryony duty to help.
Especially as she is a DI and Imogen's Dad is Kenny Ransom.... one of the local gangsters Bryony has been after for a while.

But can they really get away with locking him up with no repercussions?

I love Amanda's books she always delivers a thrilling read. Never the same always something a lil different.
I really like Bryony and Imogen, it couldn't have been easy to help lock up your dad.
Both are such strong women.

Rip Current is a pacy read that drew me.
With plenty of twists it makes for a suspenseful and thrilling read.
One not to be missed!
I discovered Amanda James when I read the amazing Summer in Tintagel a few years ago.  Since then I have not hesitated to pick up more of her books as you are guaranteed a brilliant read with her suspenseful storylines set against a backdrop of dramatic and evocative Cornish scenery.

I wasn't sure where the story was going to go at first as we meet Anya who is being held against her will and forced to work as a prostitute.  Enter DI Bryony Marshall who has been waiting years to take down Kenny Ransom, despite recently reconnecting with his daughter Imogen through Facebook.  Bryony is shocked by what Imogen has to say but it makes her one step closer to putting Kenny Ransom away for good.  The only trouble is, if Kenny finds out that Imogen has helped Bryony, both girls could be in danger as Kenny will be out for revenge.

I don't usually quote from books but I just have to share some of the exquisite prose from Rip Current.  I absolutely adore the way that Amanda James has written about Bryony's concerns about meeting Imogen after so many years.  We often look at our past through rose coloured spectacles and find that we have little in common with people from whom we were once inseparable.  Just take a look at this magnificent sentence that says all of that using a weather analogy:
I worry that, once held to the light, scrutinised and poked, our sunny past will turn overcast, begin to rain, and I'll have no umbrella.
I did pick up a few other beautiful sentences but I know I will have missed some corkers as the pacing is so fast and the story so compelling that I found myself racing through the book.

I love how family features heavily in Amanda James' books, not always in a good way, of course...there are always some bad eggs.  I couldn't help but draw a comparison between Bryony's father, a policeman who was killed on duty and Imogen's father, Kenny, who is cruel and ruthless.  The stories of the two men appear separate at first but link very nicely as Amanda James has a few surprises up her sleeve.

Rip Current is as dark and disturbing as it is gripping and addictive.  It's a non-stop enthralling thriller that turns the old proverb, 'blood is thicker than water', on its head.

I chose to read an ARC and this is my honest and unbiased opinion.
Loved this book. It was fast paced with good characters and a wonderful setting . Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for letting me review it