Crossroads of Bones

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 22 Dec 2018

Crossroads of Bones (A Katie Bishop Novel Book 1) Kindle Edition
by Luanne Bennett
I received a complimentary copy via NetGalley and am choosing to leave a fair and honest review.

I am huge fan of Urban Fantasy, particularly when it involves a hip and strong heroine with cool supernatural powers.  Dragon shifter, Katie Bishop x's all my boxes!

Katie is a dragonshifter tattoo artist who finds herself in the land of Hoodoo (not to be confused with Voodoo) and root magic in Savannah, Georgia when she mistakenly releases Legvu from his prison. She has to team with the local magical council to stop him from releasing his second soul and put him back where he belongs. She is also a sexually aware, adult woman who isn't afraid to have sex without a commitment or a declaration of love. It's nice to see that!  It's also nice to not have to put up with the shy but spunky virgin!

Her love interest, Jackson Hunter, is more than your average guy.  He is a hot biker on the run from a catshifter family, so when he finds his woman becomes a dragon, we aren't forced through the acceptance phase.

The side characters are interesting, and far from common. The transgender Star is fantastic although I did have a few teeth grinding moments when Star was referred to as 'a man in a dress' because that is clearly not correct.  I love Star's hoodoo granny who is delightfully anti-PC and more powerful than anyone realizes.  The tattoo shop team is great but their uniqueness is a bit forced.

Hoodoo (a folk magic centered in the American South, Appalachians and Ozarks) is the main focus here, something we don't see a lot of in paranormal literature. I also enjoyed the layers of mythology and magic floating in this book.  For instance, Legvu has more than a passing relationship with Papa Legba, the voodoo lwa of the crossroads.

Although the climax was a bit disappointing (it felt as if Ms. Bennett had reached a word limit and was wrapping things up quickly) the book all in all is fun.
Crossroads of Bones is the first book in the Katie Bishop series by Luanne Bennett. Katie Bishop would have taken her secret to the grave, but a bunch of fat cat society folks smelled her out and made her an offer she couldn’t refuse. Katie just wants to run her tattoo business quietly under the radar. But when a man walks into her shop and hands her a drawing of the same tattoo she’s been dreaming about for weeks, things start to spin out of control. The last two people who tried to apply that tattoo are dead. Only half human, it’s her other half that an elite group wants to hire—a group of Savannah’s more privileged citizens, including the city’s reigning coven of witches. There’s a rogue god on the loose, and Katie is the only one who can send him back to hell before he breaks open the crossroads and lets the underworld waltz right in—if he manages to get that deadly tattoo inked onto his back.

Crossroads of Bones is a solid urban fantasy, with plenty of character and world building. I have read a lot of this genre, and that left me with mixed feelings. There were moments that felt like I had missed a previous book and others when things seemed a little too familiar. I think I must have read a short story or excerpt from the author before and forgotten. However, that is my personal issue, and not something that is actually wrong with the read, I just want to preface my review so readers will know what colored my take on the story.

I really liked Katie's character. She hit a good blend of badass and vulnerable, and was honest with the people she cared about most. I enjoyed the paranormal world building, and like that there were some new takes and types that I do not remember ever having seen before. I found the cast of characters to be nicely varied, and like that some things were more slowly revealed than others. I think the big bad and layers of conflict and secrecy was fairly well done, although I was almost expecting another layer at some point but that could always come along in a future book. I will admit that I do get a little annoyed with the constant romance and being controlled by the beast or hormones that seems ingrained in the genre. Not everyone needs to be attracted to the main character, and said lead does not need to hop in the sack just because. And, if they are going to, at least make sure they make the pretense having of safe sex and having a mature discussion at some point- regardless of if pregnancy is even a consideration.

Crossroads of Bones is a good start to an urban fantasy series. I am not sure if I am going to keep going, but I think it will be a good choice for many readers.
A very interesting book, with an exciting premise, however I wasn’t pulled in and found it difficult to concentrate. Enjoyed the story and would try something else by this author.
Crossroad of Bones follows Katie, a tattoo artist who moved from New York to Georgia and just wants to run her tattoo shop. Unfortunately for her, turns out she gave a tattoo to the wrong person. Well, wrong person inhabited by a god. Ok, half of a god. But still, not the kind of attention she was looking to attract. Now Katie has to protect herself and her friends from the other half of the god who wants the tattoo that will set him free. Which would be bad for everyone in town. Luckily, Katie is half dragon, and dragons protect what they claim.

Crossroad of bones was fine. It was a quick, easy read that didn’t slow itself down with expansive world building. The world is colored in as Katie encounters it. I liked the characters in general, but they could use some more filling in. Katie seems to fall into friendships-and into bed- with people without a lot of explanation. I think the book could have been 20% longer and taken a little more time to flesh out the characters. Hopefully the sequel will do some of that. I might recommend this book for fans of Dannika Dark or Katie Epstein.
I'm a dedicated urban fantasy reader.  This book fits into my library very well.  The first book in a series is always a little slower to read as the characters must be introduced and developed.  This may lead some readers to say the book is slow at the beginning but you'll appreciate the author's pace as you move into the story.  I really liked Katie and her cast of misfits.  Katie must work on saving the world all the time she's trying to make a living and keep her business going too.  Switching from high excitement to everyday chores can make a girl crazy.  How Katie and her friends handle their highs and lows makes a great beginning to a series.  Looking forward to book #2.
Sorry, but this one was not something for me and I struggled quite a lot to finish it.

While I normally read uninterrupted for hours, this one had me stopping again and again after just a short time, just to do something else - I was bored and often a bit frustrated over the heroine's actions. Like when she chooses to attend a barbecue instead of focusing on the hole evil spirit thingy. I rather dislike bikers, so her hooking up with one such very unlikable ashole'ish specimen very shortly after the death of her lover (whom I rather liked), didn't help either.

Most of the African root magic left me rather confused, I certainly felt like I was missing some form of explanations. Like I never actually managed to understand why that demon spirit was so dangerous.
I received an e-ARC of this book from NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
An urban fantasy novel set in Savannah GA with Katie, a tattoo artist who was born with a dragon on her back. There are a variety of characters. I see this as a good start for a series. 3.5 out of 5 stars.
I downloaded a copy of Crossroads of Bones from netgalley based on the description. I'm always looking for new urban fantasies to read, and this one sounded interesting. Unfortunately, it suffers from a number of problems. The characters are mostly flat and uninteresting; those that actually did intrigue me -- such as Sugar, Fin, and the rest of the Crossroads Society -- are the *secondary* characters and don't get nearly as much attention as Katie. Additionally, the story starts in an odd place; a *lot* of background information is thrown at the reader in the first couple of chapters -- so much that I started to wonder of this was the second or third book in the series, rather than the first. Finally, many of the chapters begin and end in odd places, almost as if the author was trying to create cliffhangers, but either went too far or not far enough; it was very jarring.

As much as I would like to do so, I can't recommend Crossroads of Bones. The author shows promise, but needs to work on her characterization.
Good story! Would love to read more from this author. Writing style was easy to read, and not set to a certain age group.
I love a good urban fantasy, and while this was a little slow to start it was a great start to a new series. I will definitely be watching for more.
Katie owns a tattoo shop. After a man walk in for a tattoo that she just happened to have a nightmare about the day before all hell breaks loose.

Good book. Can't wait to read the rest of the series.
Dragon,shifters,voodoo,spirits.
Drama,action,intrigue,very good characters an interesting story.
Just a great read.
Looking forward to reading the next in series.
Voluntarily reviewed.
This seemed like a pretty good, albeit predictable, urban fantasy.

Our heroine, Katie Bishop is a tattoo artist in Savannah, she has a team of misfit colleagues who work for her in her shop, oh and she has dragon tattoo on her back - except she was born with it. She's been having trouble sleeping, dreaming of a dead man and an intricate tattoo which fills her with dread.

When a weird guy comes in one day and requests the exact tattoo from her dreams Katie can't refuse but then she discovers the tattoo has enabled half of a demon's spirit to fully possess the unfortunate man who requested the tattoo. Now the gates of hell are opened it is only a matter of time before the other half of the spirit breaks free from the underground prison that has held it and gets its own tattoo to join the two halves together. The spirit has killed a number of other tattoo artists who either weren't strong enough or accurate enough to complete the tattoo.

Pressed into joining a secret society called the Crossroads Society Katie realises that the other half of the demon's spirit will come for her soon.

This novel is full of stock characters/ caricatures: the disgraced cop, the mysterious biker, secret societies, tattoos, cross-dressing black men (hello Sookie Stackhouse), African hoo-doo magic (hello Sookie Stackhouse #2) the sneering older man who runs the town, the bar staff who are not what they seem (hello Sookie Stackhouse #3). It also had a clever take on a new kind of shifter.

It had promise but there were points where I thought "why is Katie detouring to a biker BBQ when she has a demon to contain?" only to discover it was a plot device to shoe-horn a get-out-of-jail-free card into the plot. The novel seemed to take a long time to get to the big climax and then it was quickly disposed of in a few sentences. I still don't understand quite what happened. Maybe a glimmer of light is that Katie didn't save the day single-handed.

Overall, it was a fun read but I can't say I feel any great interest in reading the second book.

I received a free copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley in return for an honest review.
I loved this character and the world she lives in.  The story flows well with enough twists and turns to keep you moving onto the next page.  I look forward to reading more books in this series
Crossroad of Bones is an interesting start to the Katie Bishop series. Cool concept and some quirky characters drew me in. A bit slow to start, but it did pick up. Also I felt that some details were not fleshed out as well as they could have been. A few awkward scenes left me scratching my head. All in all an entertaining read that I hope improves over time.

*ARC provided by NetGalley for an honest review.
Title: Crossroads of Bones
Series: Katie Bishop Book #1
Stand Alone Title: yes
Author:  Luanne Bennett
Genre:  Urban Fantasy
Blurb: Katie Bishop would have taken her secret to the grave, but . . .
a bunch of fat cat society folks smelled her out and made her an offer she couldn't refuse.

Katie just wants to run her tattoo business quietly under the radar. But when a man walks into her shop and hands her a drawing of the same tattoo she's been dreaming about for weeks, things start to spin out of control. The last two people who tried to apply that tattoo are dead.

Only half human, it's her other half that an elite group wants to hire-a group of Savannah's more privileged citizens, including the city's reigning coven of witches.

There's a rogue god on the loose, and Katie is the only one who can send him back to hell before he breaks open the crossroads and lets the underworld waltz right in-if he manages to get that deadly tattoo inked onto his back.
Thoughts: If you are looking for a good urban fantasy, this is a great one to pick up.  Interesting characters, a good storyline, all the elements of a good book are there.  It didn’t quite hit my list of top ones in the genre, but it certainly wasn’t just a time waster….there was plenty there to satisfy readers.  Thoroughly enjoyable!
Rating: B
I couldn't make it past chapter three. I really wanted to like this one. I was intrigued by the blurb. A tattoo that kills the tattoo artist trying to complete the work. Who wouldn't want to see what happens next?

I should have known I wasn't going to like it by the end of chapter one. If the fact that she exposed her deepest darkest secret to an employee she's known for months and was rewarded with "I'm cool with it. Can I touch it?" all in the first chapter, wasn't a clear enough warning of impending stupidity, I don't know what is. But I figured I'd give it another chance, it could get better. I don't know if it does. I was only able to handle another two chapters before I gave up. It might be a good book, I'm not saying it's not. I'm just saying it wasn't for me. Two unbelievable occurrences before chapter four is just two too many for me.

I won't give spoilers but I'll give you a situation and you decide for yourself if it all checks out.

Let's say you're having nightmares every night about your neighbor murdering his wife. They are extremely vivid and have you waking up in a cold sweat. They're so terrifying that you've almost stopped sleeping altogether. After weeks of this your neighbor sees you outside washing your car, he walks across the divider separating your lawns and just stands there watching you. Super creepy right? So you ask him if he needed something, just to get him moving along again. You notice that something looks off about him but you just can't put your finger on it, you chalk it up to not knowing him that well. After all, you're new to the neighborhood. After a couple minutes of his silence he finally speaks. He wants to know if you have a spare tarp, some rope, bleach, and a chainsaw that he can borrow. Now at this point in time you should probably be thinking that those are strange items to be asking your neighbor for and then you remember the dreams. You think, "I need to get inside, lock my doors, and call the police". So that's exactly what you do. You make up some excuse to get inside as fast as you can. You walk to your phone and pick it up. Then you think, "Hrm perhaps he's just doing some gardening, I guess it can't hurt to lend him those items". You walk back out to him with all four items and tell him you hope they help. The next day the cops show up at your door and inform you that your neighbor murdered his wife sometime yesterday morning and want to know if you have any knowledge of the crime.

Anything seem off about that scenario to you? If not then please do check out this book. If you're like me and think that whole situation was insane, then I recommend you look elsewhere for your next read.

I received a copy of this book via Net Galley, the opinions are my own.
Katie always thought that she ended up in Savannah by pure chance, but it turns out that she's not the only freak in town.

I received a free copy from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

This book was a lot of fun.
Katie is the daughter of a dragon, but she is used to hiding her beast.
After moving from New York to Savannah for a failing relationship, she ends up trying to settle down and do what she does best - setting up a tattoo shop!
Unfortunately, some people are more interested in the hidden beast, and want to use Katie for their own ends.

I really enjoyed this story. I liked Katie a lot, she's trying to be a regular human, and she's determined to make her new business succeed. She's passionate about tattoo art, and has some great employees that are becoming like family. I thought it was a really nice balance between life and paranormal craziness.
Oh, and I loved Sugar, she's awesome and I want her in my life!

The story uncovers a secret society with a supernatural element, and I can't wait to see how that develops later in the series.

I definitely recommend picking it up.
I received a copy of Crossroads of Bones (A Katie Bishop Novel Book 1) by Luanne Bennett from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Being an urban fantasy fan, I was intrigued by the summary of Crossroads of Bones initially and am happy to report that I found this novel to be a fun read overall. I had never heard of the author and had no preconceived notions or expectations prior to receiving from NetGalley, so I was pleasantly surprised to be hooked so swiftly.

I liked the pacing and really liked the protagonist, Katie Bishop, as well as her friends/support system. Regarding pacing: the story moved along and was not bogged down by tons of (unnecessary) flowery descriptions. The story had mostly likeable characters (even the not-so-likeable characters were well written though) and an interesting plot that kept me reading. The ONLY sad thing is that when I finished, I didn't have the second book to open immediately (but that's nothing against this novel).

All in all, I would definitely recommend this book to others. As for me, I'll be searching for more novels by Luanne Bennett and hopefully will be engrossed in her other works soon!
I chose this book on Netgalley because I had a hankering for some paranormal intrigue and was fed up with the same old trashy romances. It fit the bill perfectly. Katie Bishop is a brilliant, bad-ass heroine who kept me addicting and turning those pages throughout. Bennett weaves a world full of dark magic, using the Deep South with its wealth of mystery and supernatural history as her setting. She introduces her characters and their extra abilities carefully, creating a magical realism that is easy to believe in. The story trips along at a good pace, with enough twists and suspense to keep things very interesting. I look forward to the next book in the series.