Her One Mistake

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 08 Jan 2019

I received a copy of this from Netgalley in exchange for my honest review.   This book does not disappoint.  This is a heart pounding, fast paced read!   You will not be let down by taking the time to read this!   Add this to your TBR pile ASSP.
I was really excited to dig into this book. I absolutely love thrillers and twisty reads so I was confident that I would enjoy Her One Mistake.

Now I'll admit that, though the book sucked me in right away, there were times when I considered putting it down. There were a few moments while reading when the story didn't hold my attention. I'm glad I fought through those moments however because I really enjoyed the second half of it. I will admit that the story line was pretty predictable and nothing came as a huge shock to me. It was pretty easy to figure out but still a good read.
I guess I'm a bit worn with thrillers that aren't thrilling. There's the usual group of secrets that are messing up lives. Children and families and where are the twists? Maybe I just over anticipated them. This one, however, we have a missing child. She just went +poof+. How do you live through losing your friend's four-year-old daughter? What a mess, and what a mistake. Now, how can this possibly end well at all?

My copy came from Net Galley. My thoughts and opinions are my own. This review is left of my own free volition.
I couldn't put this one down.  Her One Mistake is a psychological thriller that jumps between the POV of the mother of a missing girl and the best friend who looked away for one second. The author did a nice job of revealing slowly, and even after I "figured it out" there was still a surprise or two left.

*netgalley provided a free digital ARC
Her One Mistake is every mother's nightmare...a missing child. Heidi Perks fast paced prose kept me turning the pages til the very end!
Thank you NetGalley and Gallery Books for the opportunity to read and give an honest review of this book.

Charlotte and Harriet are best friends and tell each other everything. Or do they? Charlotte takes Harriet’s daughter, Alice, and her own three children to the school fair. Alice mysteriously disappears. The community’s response is to treat Charlotte as though she were a criminal. As time goes on, we begin to see that Harriet’s husband appears to be ‘gaslighting’ her in an attempt to make her appear unreliable with memory problems. The not-so-perfect marriage of Harriet and Brian seems to contribute in some way to Alice’s disappearance, but how?

The plot is intriguing and you wonder what indeed happened to Alice.
The story is told from both Harriet and Charlotte’s point of view. Sometimes it would get confusing with the dialogue taking place ‘now, before, or afterwards’

One point in the story was not quite believable. Harriet would take 4 year old Alice to meet with and enjoy activities with Harriet’s father. (A person Brian believed to be dead.) Yet, the little girl never told her controlling father, Brian, any details about their various outings. She never even mentioned her grandfather. I have never met a 4 year old that could keep a secret or did not give information about their daily activities.

This was a good book and a wild, hard-to-put-down, ride. I highly recommend it.
It's a fun book for airplanes, beaches, summer reading, etc. It moves right along and it has a wonderful twist. It's perfect for a diversion, which is something we all need at times. I quite enjoyed it and would recommend it for that reason. It's not great literature but it doesn't ask to be considered great literature, if that makes sense.
Charlotte and Harriet, bound together forever by one sunny day when Harriet's child goes missing, and Charlotte is responsible. Twists and turns on every page and a surprise ending that you probably didn't see coming. Compelling plot, engaging characters make this a winner.
Started out as a page turner very intense emotions.  As parent you could not help but examine what you would do in this situation.  About half way through the book it took a twist, which was decent but kind of left out some of the characters from the beginning.  It felt like 2 different books.  Still an enjoyable read but wish it did not have such a dramatic change.
Worst case scenario, a child goes missing from the park when she is there with a mother’s friend. There are many layers to this and some things I didn’t see coming. However, it felt a little stale at times. It is still worth the read though.
Losing a child in a crowd is any parent's nightmare. Charlotte ends up living this nightmare when she loses her best friend's only child at a fair. She was watching them. When she wasn't glancing down at her phone.

As police continue to investigate the disappearance, more questions end up raised. And, Harriett finds herself forced to reach out to Charlotte for help.

This suspense novel provides plenty of twists and turns while exploring not only the nightmare of losing a child but to what lengths a mother will go to protect their child.
When a child goes missing it is a mother's worst nightmare, but the nightmare keeps building.  Satisfying thirller.
Do we ever really know anyone?  It was going be a fun afternoon at the school fair.  Then she looked down to check her phone.  When she looked up, the friends daughter, whom she'd been watching, was gone.  Charlotte's life is turned inside out by Alice's disappearance.  I'm the time she spends trying to find Alice, something is wrong, there is something missing, besides Alice. There is a spectacular thrilling twisted end...definitely a good read.
Her One Mistake was a fast-paced and engaging story that I very much enjoyed - it hooked me from the beginning.  It deals with the relationships between friends and between family and how you can never really know what happens behind closed doors. I enjoyed the portrayal of the complexity behind the women's friendship.  Exciting and fast read.
I was less than impressed by this book. It seemed like it was a copy/mishmash of more successful books involving women and some sort of domestic peril. It seemed quickly written and not terribly well edited. I wish she had spent more time on it, the premise had promise.
This book was so good! A strong emotional and psychological thriller when it comes to notion of what you would do to save and protect your daughter. The plot focuses on Charlotte and Harriet, two friends and Harriet's daughter Alice. The story picks up and gains fast momento when Charlotte takes Alice and her own children to a carnival and Alice ends up missing. The story switches from the past when Alice was taken, to events that happened prior to the carnival, and the present where Charlotte and Harriet are being interviewed by the police. Needless to say this was an engrossing and thrilling read. Some of it I did suspect to happen but honestly I didn't mind because the book was really well done. If you enjoy thrillers with some unexpected plot twists then definitely pick this one up!
Received a digital ARC of this book via NetGalley.

Every mother’s nightmare. Parts of the story reminded me of Lapena’s The Couple Next Door.

Didn’t care for the epilogue.
I really enjoyed this book. It didn’t go anywhere near where I thought it would go but that was a nice surprise. I’ve seen people say this book is just like Gone Girl or Girl on a Train, and maybe a bit but since I didn’t care for either of those books to me this is its own story. I recommend this book!
I got about halfway through this novel, but I couldn’t go on. I got so bored with the back and forth and nothing actually happening in the book. I didn’t even read the end but I can already guess who was behind it all.
What an amazing debut novel!  I can't wait for the next Heidi Perks book to be written! This book cannot be put down.  Loved the writing and I totally did not see the twist that came in the middle of the book (I read a lot of suspense books and usually figure it out...but did not this time!)  Thank you for the advanced reader copy.  I will be recommending that our library purchase this title!